Stay in Touch

Not Anymore

Sunny checks her watch for the umpteenth time in five minutes. C’mon you, just go and do it. Convincing herself, she collects her purse and turns off her desk light. As she passes by her boss office she peeks around the door frame, “Are you sure you don’t need anything else, Ben?”

Ben looks up, his glasses resting on the tip of his nose, “How many times do I have to tell you to get outta here, Sunny? Go on, now. Shoo” he waves his hand.

Sunny laughs, “Alright, alright, I’m gone”

As she waits for the elevator Sunny face palms herself for nearly forgetting to grab something from the fridge in the office kitchen. She runs the few feet and quickly grabs the container out, hoping she hasn't missed the elevator.

As she descends, Sunny picks at the hard plastic lid of the container, lost in thought. She’s been unable to think about anything but Taeyeon and her girls since they literally ran out of her apartment two weeks ago. She hasn’t heard from Taeyeon, nor has she attempted to contact her. Needless to say she wasn’t completely surprised to find out Taeyeon is gay, she’d had a feeling from the moment she laid eyes on her at the meeting. But to find out that Taeyeon had lost her partner, and the girls their mother in such a tragic way – a way in which Jamie reminded them of – did surprise her. The way Taeyeon had reacted, like she was losing her all over again, and the way she behaved toward Bella, saddened her.

...

...

Sunny turns off her car and taps on the steering wheel with her fingertip. Taking a deep breath, she picks up what she’s brought with her from the passenger seat and gets out of her car. She feels a tightening in her stomach as she walks through the parking garage and sees Taeyeon’s car parked in a marked stall. Seeing it slows down her pace, her eyes glued to the vehicle like it was Taeyeon herself. I hope they're all ok.

As she waits for another elevator, Sunny pulls out the business card that was left in her car after Taeyeon had it repaired. She remembers being surprised when she read it and found out Taeyeon is a lawyer in a very reputable downtown firm. Even more surprised by her last name. Had quite a giggle over it.

She checks the card one last time to make sure she goes to the right floor, as the doors close behind her.

The 'ding' signals her arrival. It takes her a few moments to step out, a man waiting to get in giving her an annoyed look. “Sorry” she passes him. He doesn’t respond.

“Can I help you?” a voice asks from her right.

Sunny walks over to the receptionist seated behind a large, crescent shaped desk. “I’m here to see Taeyeon Kim?”

“Do you have an appointment?”

“… No, but…”

Disapproving, “Let me check with her assistant” she presses a few buttons. Tries three times but gets no response. “She must be out to lunch. You can go back and sit in the waiting area until she gets back, or I can take a message”

“I’ll wait, thanks”

...

...

The receptionist points Sunny in the right direction and she follows the black marble floor to the end of a corridor. There's a door with the Taeyeon’s name on it, which Sunny opens to find an empty sitting area, and no assistant behind the desk. Another door lies beyond the desk; Sunny assumes it to be Taeyeon’s office. She’s about to sit down when she hears voices behind the door. Voices getting closer. Watches as the door opens and two men in suits exit, passing her by with a cordial “Afternoon”

They're gone soon enough and Sunny decides to take a chance and knock on Taeyeon’s door.

“Come in!”

Clears and opens the door.

Taeyeon is bent over her desk, head resting on a fist, flipping through the pages of a thick file. Without even looking up Taeyeon starts, “Did they have the Caesar salad, Tri…” sees Sunny.

Sunny smiles, “Hi” She looks tired.

“Sunny?” Taeyeon takes off her glasses and stands up, “sorry, I thought you were my assistant” smiles awkwardly. “What… what are you doing here?”

“Is this a bad time?”

“No, not at all. Come in, please sit down” Taeyeon gestures to a chair opposite her side of the desk.

Sunny feels the knot in her stomach tighten the closer she moves toward Taeyeon. “I just wanted to bring this to you, to give to the girls” she says as she sits, placing the food container on Taeyeon’s desk, “it’s that ravioli they liked so much. Jamie and I made some last night, entirely too much” she smiles and shakes her head, “so I thought I would bring the leftovers…”

“That's very kind of you, Sunny, thanks” Taeyeon stretches over her desk and picks up the container, spying the pasta and sauce through the clear base, “I might just eat it all before it even gets to them” she jokes.

Sunny gasps, “Don’t you dare” and laughs. Despite the quips, there is an air of tension between them. Taeyeon looks at her with apologetic eyes.

“Sunny…” Taeyeon sits down and rolls her chair closer to the desk, staring down at it, opens and closes a few times before saying, “I’m… I just want to…” looks up at Sunny.

“Hey. I know” Sunny smiles a reassuring smile, “we all have bad days, yeah?”

Taeyeon gets lost in brown eyes, “Yeah”

Both women seem to breathe a unified sigh of relief and the atmosphere quickly changes.

“How are Bella and Sophia? Jamie won't stop talking about them”

“Good. Yeah, they're good” Taeyeon stutters and clears . “And Jamie? Everything alright?”

“Yeah, thanks for asking, he's getting stronger every day. Little bit of fuzz on his head now” she pats her own head. Change the subject, She’s uncomfortable. “What are you working on? Looks rather daunting” Sunny grimaces, eyeballing the bulky mass of paper in front of Taeyeon.

Taeyeon chuckles, “Are you really interested?”

Sunny tilts her head, “I wouldn't have asked if I wasn't”

Taeyeon eyes her with a playful suspicion, “Alright. Well, I’m going through all this research, and a few depositions to see if this company, which I’d like to take me on and keep me on retainer, has a case against this other company. Basically, when they come back to see me, I need to tell them whether or not I can win them a ridiculous amount of money or not. There will be loads of , an expensive dinner and lots of alcohol involved, naturally. Corporate law is such a joy” rolls her eyes. “But, honestly, it would be a personal victory if I could snag them before another firm does”

“How so?” Sunny asks, an earnest innocence to her eyes.

“Since I haven't been here very long I don’t have many of my own clients. I work alongside several others in the firm, on their cases. And, well, the firm”s been on my recently to go out and get the big ones. Apparently they think I can work miracles or something” she says waving her hand like a wand. Taeyeon slides her glasses on.

Even better with glasses. “Oh? And what would give them that idea, do you think?” Sunny smirks.

Taeyeon bites her lip, “It may have been that bit on my resume under " Achievements " that says I can turn water into wine, but I can't really be sure” raises an eyebrow. Sunny giggles. Taeyeon grins. “So, am I boring you yet?”

Never. Sunny forces a yawn, “Sorry, what?”

Taeyeon clutches her chest, “My pride!” They both smile, holding eye contact longer than necessary.

“I suppose I should let you get back to it, then”

Disappointed, “If it were any other time I’d say no, but I’m meeting with them in two days and I have to get through this and this” she says, pointing to two other bulky masses to her left, “before tomorrow night. Then I get to prepare a presentation” she says with mocked happiness.

“You work too hard” Sunny looks at her sadly, “you should just say it all and go home to your beautiful kids”

Taeyeon organizes some papers that don’t need organizing, “Yeah, well, it’s them I do this for, so…”

Liar. Sunny purses her lips, “Right” stands up, “well, I guess I’ll be going…” A knock on the door cuts Sunny off.

“Come in” Taeyeon calls. “Tricia, finally. I’m about to waste away, here” Taeyeon beckons her over with a quick hand gesture.

“Sorry, Ms. Kim, they were really busy” hands Taeyeon a plastic bag. Sunny can smell garlic.

“I need you to get Mr. Howard on the phone and patch him through at four o'clock” Tricia fumbles with a pad and pen as Taeyeon barks out orders. “Also, I need the records for this” points to the files on her desk, “years o-five to o-nine, and get the tech guy in here again, this piece of computer is still behaving erratically” stands with her hands on her hips and looks around her desk, “oh, and take this to Emma” hands her the container Sunny brought, “tell her it’s for the girls. That'll be all”

“Yes, Ms. Kim”

After the door closes, Taeyeon walks around to Sunny, “Alright?”

Sunny barely smiles, “Mm hm”

“I’ll walk you out”

As they walk down the corridor, Taeyeon inches closer to Sunny, their arms brushing every other step. Sunny smiles up at her as they approach the elevator.

“You're much taller in those heels”

“Not really, you're just short, Sunny”

“Hey!” slaps her arm.

Sunny can't help but notice all the glances they're getting as they wait for the elevator. “What's with everyone?”

Taeyeon hasn't noticed, her eyes trained on Sunny. Looks around briefly, “Oh, they're just not used to seeing me out of my cage is all”

“I hope that's a joke” Sunny says, pushing up on her toes, attempting to be taller. Resists moving a strand of hair off Taeyeon’s brow.

The elevator doors open, Sunny falls back on her heels, looks into the empty elevator, then back at Taeyeon, “Good luck with your project, but don’t work too hard. Ok?”

“Thanks, I’ll do my best” bites her lip. “It was good to see you again, Sunny”

“You too” steps into the elevator. “Taeyeon?” turns around, holds the 'door open' button “We”ll stay in touch this time, yeah? When you're finished with this project, we should all get together again, go to the park or something”

Taeyeon smiles and nods, “We'll stay in touch”

“Bye, Taeyeon”

“See you, Sunny”

...

...

As Sunny pulls her car out, her phone signals she's received a text.

'this is me

staying in

touch'

It causes a huge grin. She quickly texts back.

'Get back

to work! ;)'

 

 

 

**this fic own mine and my brother's. we worked this story together.