Disneyland; Day 1

Not Anymore

‘i may have to

resort to drastic measures

meeting just won’t end

would launching myself

out the window

be too much’

Taeyeon looks to the head of the long table at the man droning on and on about nothing interesting. Her mind is occupied by more important things. More important things named Sunny. Taeyeon constantly thinks about her, thinks of little else. She thinks about that day about a month ago when Sunny drove her home; her adorable reaction to Taeyeon's rather monstrous house. She thinks about the day they all went to the park and how Sunny had prepared a picnic lunch. Remembers how pleasant it was to just sit and talk with her as they watched their kids play.

Taeyeon scrolls through some old emails on her phone, deleting the ones she no longer needs. She’s thinking about the weekend, about how after some necessary convincing, Sunny finally agreed to Taeyeon paying for all of it, and they made plans to take their kids to Disneyland and stay the entire weekend, for Bella and Sophia's birthday. And even though she’s dreading it in some ways, the thought of spending that much time with Sunny makes her as excited as the kids are to be going to Disneyland.

'Depends, on how

high up you are...

;)'

Taeyeon smiles at the reply. She finds it hard not to smile where Sunny is concerned. A loud, deep clearing of a throat gets Taeyeon's attention. Notices one of the firm's partners frowning at her. off, Albert. She smiles at him, noticing the disbursement of all the suited men, elated that the meeting is finally over. She dials Sunny's number as she walks back to her office.

“Hey. Still alive?”

“Barely” Taeyeon shuts her office door, “You all ready over there?”

“Are you kidding? They're practically clawing at the walls” Sunny laughs, looking at the children who can hardly contain themselves, “I’m slightly frightened for my life”

Taeyeon laughs, “Thanks again for picking up the girls, they were quite insistent about it” traps her phone between her ear and shoulder, gathers up some files and sloppily shoves them into her briefcase, “I think their logic is that you live closer to the park…”

“Taeyeon?”

God I love it when you say my name. “Yes?”

“Please stop talking and come get us”

“Is everyone in this ting city going to Disneyland?” Taeyeon yells, honks her horn, “This is ing ridiculous, we've been on this freeway for 2 hours!”

Sunny reaches over and pats Taeyeon's thigh, “We'll get there, just be patient” smiles calmly at her.

Taeyeon tenses up more at the feeling of Sunny's hand on her, and the fact that she’s not moving it away is distracting her. Stopped dead in traffic, Taeyeon looks at Sunny. You have to stop touching me all the time. Don’t you know what you do to me? As if she can read Taeyeon's mind, Sunny squeezes her thigh once before removing her hand.

“Mama, I’m hungry” Jamie announces from the back seat.

“See?” Taeyeon starts again, “The boy is hungry and we're stuck in this piss awful…”

“Taeyeon, please” Sunny laughs and cuts her off. She reaches down between her legs and opens a backpack. Turns around and hands Jamie a bag of banana chips, “There you are, love. Share with the girls”

Bella and Sophia are engrossed in a map of Disneyland that Sunny downloaded and printed out for them while they waited for Taeyeon. They're marking off the places they want to see and the rides they want to go on. “Sunny, can we go to Fantasyland first? I want to see the castle, and Sophia wants to go on Alice in Wonderland”

“I want to see the pirates” Jamie says through a mouthful of banana chips.

Sunny turns around, smiles at the three children, “This is the girls” weekend, sweetheart, we're going to do whatever they want, alright?”

Bella and Sophia look at Jamie with challenging expressions. He looks back a bit intimidated. Offers them banana chips.

“We'll go see the pirates, James, don’t you worry” Taeyeon tells him, glancing at him in the mirror. Sees him look at the girls from the corner of his eye.

“We'll be there for two whole days, children” Sunny declares, facing Taeyeon as she says the last word, “if we don’t see everything you want, I will be very surprised” It's the voice of reason, and the rest of the ride is silent.

“Oh, wow! Look at that…!” Bella points to various things in the lobby as the five of them walk to the concierge counter. Jamie practically hops the entire way, Sophia gripping his hand firmly, attempting to keep him in check. Her green eyes are wide with excitement, her lips pursed tightly.

“Welcome to the Grand Californian” the woman behind the counter announces with a plastic smile. Taeyeon hands her a credit card without saying a word. After a few key , the woman looks at Taeyeon, clears , “Taeyeon Kim, reservation for five?”

“That's right” arrogant.

“I see you've booked our finest accommodations, Ms. Kim. I’m sure you and your family will be very comfortable in our premiere three bedroom villa. Anything we can do to make this a happier experience for…”

“Let's skip the formalities” leans in and reads the woman's name tag, “Jennifer. I'd like someone to take our bags and show us to the room”

“Taeyeon…” Sunny's heard the exchange and approaches, “don’t be rude”

Taeyeon softens but doesn’t apologize. Jennifer signals to a young man who immediately comes over. After giving him some instruction, she hands Taeyeon two card keys and bids them well.

Taeyeon walks away without a word, the children following her. Sunny smiles at Jennifer apologetically and says, “Thank you” before catching up.

“This isn't a room, it's a house” Sunny says, overwhelmed, “this must be costing you a fortune, Taeyeon”

The sound of tiny feet running throughout, exploring, makes Taeyeon unusually happy. She collapses on one of the sofas, sighs, “Sunny, are you going to dwell on this money thing forever? You could become very annoying”

Sunny glares at her, “Anything I say or do that is annoying is completely inspired by you” challenging.

Taeyeon laughs. You will always win. Bella runs into the living room, literally bouncing with joy.

“Oh Mum, this is the best birthday ever!” Bella jumps on Taeyeon and squeezes her. Taeyeon is surprised by the affection and tenses for a moment, but soon she has her arms wrapped around her eldest daughter, a mist clouding her eyes. “Thank you, Mum” Bella whispers before jumping off and running to Sunny, “There's a pool table upstairs!” runs away.

“Mama Mama Mama, come see the big beds!” Sunny looks up to see Jamie's medicine induced, chubby face pressed between two wooden slats of a railing. Laughs at the look of amazement in her son's eyes.

“Alright, here I come!” Looks at Taeyeon, “Shall we?”

Sunny switches off the bathroom light; she feels infinitely better having had a shower. After dinner with Mickey himself, some arcade time, bubble baths, and teeth brushing, Bella, Sophia and Jamie are scattered on Sunny's bed watching Peter Pan, while Taeyeon showers in her own bathroom.

“Five more minutes” Sunny quietly announces, climbing onto the bed and settling between Jamie and Sophia. They all whine at her, but she can tell by their drooping eyes they won't last much longer, the glow of the big screen tv lulling them.

Sophia cuddles into Sunny, laying her head on Sunny's arm. Jamie looks at Sophia with a furrowed brow until Sunny smiles at him and his now thicker hair. He’s satisfied with the touch and turns his attention back to the movie. Sunny inspects Sophia's hair as she lies in front of her, having braided both girls hair after their bath at Bella's request. Glances at the digital clock.

“Ok, guys, time for sleep” Sunny says, using the remote to shut off the television. She receives three tired, incredulous stares. “C'mon, you need your sleep, tomorrow is a big day”

Bella and Sophia hop off the bed, their nightgowns straightening. “Will you tuck us in, Sunny?” hopeful eyes beseech her.

“Of course I will. Let's go” they walk across the landing to the room that Bella and Sophia will share. “Into bed” Sunny says. Jamie stands at the foot of the bed and watches closely. “There you are” Sunny pulls the covers over two small bodies.

“We need to say our prayers” Bella tells Sunny.

“Oh? What prayers do you say?”

“The one Mummy taught us before she died. It goes "Now I lay me down…" do you know that one?”

“I think so”

Bella and Sophia press their own hands together and shut their eyes, “Now I lay me down to sleep…” Sunny's heart clenches and a lump forms in as she hears Sophia's voice for the first time. It's much softer than Bella's, and a bit higher pitched. Sunny doesn’t react outwardly, just closes her eyes and purses her lips and listens to the unison voices. “…If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take. Amen.”

Sunny can barely choke out, “That was lovely, girls” She leans over and kisses each of them on the forehead. Jamie tilts his head as he watches. “Goodnight, we'll see you in the morning. I’m sure your mum will be in soon”

“No she won't” Bella informs, “she never tucks us in, not anymore”

Sunny doesn’t know what to say to this, just turns off the light and says goodnight again.

Once Jamie is settled in bed, Sunny seeks out Taeyeon. Hears the clanking of cups downstairs in the kitchen. Finds Taeyeon making coffee.

“I just put the girls in bed, you should go up and say goodnight”

Taeyeon is shaking a sugar packet and stops mid-shake, she can hear a disapproving tone in Sunny's voice. Looks into Sunny's eyes and sees a look she’s never seen before. Puts down the packet of sugar, “Ok. Thanks, I will”

Taeyeon opens the door slowly; the light from the landing streaming in the more the door opens. Hears whispering, catches her daughters not sleeping at all, but studying the map in darkness. “Alright, you two… hand it over” Taeyeon walks to the side of the bed closest to Sophia and holds out her hand.

“What are you doing here?” asks Bella, handing over the map.

“I've come to say goodnight” Taeyeon says, as if it shouldn't come to a shock to them.

“Only because Sunny told you to” Bella disputes. Taeyeon sighs, sits down on the bed.

“We're going to have great time this weekend, I’m very happy to be here with you. I can't believe you're turning eight” takes Sophia's hand and it, “my babies” Bella and Sophia look at their mother, confused. Taeyeon's eyes well up. She clears and detaches herself. “Goodnight, then” Kisses them both quickly and leaves.

Sunny stirs the coffee lazily, yawns. It's been twenty minutes since Taeyeon went upstairs to say goodnight to the girls, and Sunny heard her leave their room. She pours the now cold coffee down the sink, turns off the lights and goes upstairs.

She checks on Jamie before approaching Taeyeon's bedroom door and tapping lightly. Not getting an answer, she slowly pushes down on the handle, opening the door, “Taeyeon?” she’s not in bed. Sunny steps inside and feels a cool draft, sees Taeyeon out on the balcony, leaning on the railing. Approaches her, “Hey”

Taeyeon turns her head, “Hey” smiles weakly.

“Coffee's gone cold” Sunny says as she mimics Taeyeon's position. Silence. Sunny moves closer and places a hand on Taeyeon's forearm, “You alright?”

“Yeah” not convincing. Sunny removes her hand, assuming Taeyeon would rather be alone, she turns to leave. “Don’t go” Taeyeon grabs her hand, “please” lets go of Sunny's hand.

Sunny nods, leans back over the railing. “This view is amazing” she says, looking out over the park. This entire place is amazing, I’m glad I let you convince us to come along”

Taeyeon laughs out her nose, “You let me, did you?” Taeyeon shakes her head, slack jawed.

Sunny smirks. “So… the kids are going to be impossible tomorrow, they're bursting with excitement”

“Yeah...” Taeyeon stands up, hands grip the railing. “Sunny, if I ask you something will you answer me truthfully?”

“Always”

Taeyeon picks at nothing on the railing, “Do you think I’m a horrible mother?”

Sunny's taken aback, “What? No…” she thinks for a moment, looks up at Taeyeon, can see the worry in her blue eyes. “I think… I think you need to sort yourself out and… prioritize your life a bit better, that's all”

Taeyeon nods, “I see” You do think I’m horrible.

“I’m here, if you ever want to talk. About anything. You know that, right?”

“Thanks, Sunny” smiles halfheartedly, “I think I'll go to bed now”

“Oh. Of course”

They walk through Taeyeon”s room to the door, Sunny turning in the doorway. She looks up at Taeyeon and before Taeyeon knows what's happening, Sunny has her arms wrapped around her neck, pulling her into a gentle hug. Taeyeon's arms stay limp at her sides for a moment, but soon she snakes her arms around Sunny's waist. Can't resist pulling Sunny closer, holding her tightly. Can't resist inhaling her scent. Definitely lily. I knew it.

Sunny pulls away first, “You needed that”

I need a lot more than that. “Thanks” Taeyeon smiles, a glint back in her eye, “Night, Sunny”

“Goodnight”

 

**this fic own mine and my brother's. we worked this story together.