Christmas; Day 1

Not Anymore

**this fic own mine and my brother's. we worked this story together.

 

 

Two foreheads press against the glass and make silly faces; blowing mouth fog and drawing designs on the window. “When are they going to get here?” Bella whines.

“It’s only been one minute since the last time you asked” Sophia shakes her head at her impatient twin.

Bella plays with the curtains and sighs deeply. Presses her head against the window once more. “It’s eleven, and Sunny said she’d be here by eleven”

“There’s a thread hanging off your dress” Sophia says, tugging on her sister, “let me cut it off”

Two pair of new patent leather shoes click across the marble tiles of the foyer as they run to the kitchen to get scissors. Their granny smiles at the dressed-up girls as they fuss over their clothes.

“You two are growing up so fast” she smiles. Black and brown eyes peer at the food she’s making on the stove.

“Oh Granny…” Bella waves her off, “hey… I hear the car!” takes off for the front door. Sophia’s not far behind.

Bella throws open the huge oak door as if it’s a feather and both girls run into the driveway as Sunny is getting out of her car.

“Merry Christmas!” they both greet as they round the car.

“Happy Christmas, girls” Sunny opens her arms and lifts them up an inch as she hugs them.

“Merry Christmas” Jamie calls from the backseat, “Mama, help me out”

“I’ll do it” Sophia climbs in to release him.

There’s a bounce in each step Bella takes as she follows Sunny to the back of the car.

“Where’s your Mum?” Sunny asks her black-eyed shadow.

“In her office” Bella rolls her eyes, “working”

“Hmm” Sunny sighs and hands Bella two full paper bags, “think you can carry these?”

“Yeah, I got them” she walks swiftly into the house and drops the bags inside the doorway.

“Mama, can I carry the presents?” Jamie scurries to her side and climbs onto the bumper.

“Climb down, sweetheart” He does, and Sunny hands him two wrapped presents, “wait right here” she says as he starts to walk away. She looks at Sophia who is standing patiently next to the car, “you look beautiful, Sophia Kim”

“Thanks, Sunny,” takes the bag that’s handed to her and waits, “so do you”

Bella runs back and pokes her head inside the trunk, “Anything else…?”

Sunny gently pulls her back and shuts the trunk, “I think that’s everything”

When Sunny walks inside she inhales a deep breath, “Oh, it smells like home…” she gasps as familiar scents overwhelm her.

“Granny’s been cooking all morning” Sophia informs.

“Where should we put all this stuff?” Bella asks.

Sunny directs where each child should place their loads and they all scatter in different directions. She makes her way to the kitchen with Sophia, sees a woman leaning over the stove, blowing on a wooden spoon, carefully tasting. Notices she has the same posture as Taeyeon.

“Granny, Sunny’s here” Sophia happily announces.

“Mm? … Oh…” she swallows quickly, “Sunny…!” throws the spoon on the stove and walks around the large kitchen island, arms open, “we meet at last” she smiles and hugs Sunny, rocking her back and forth as if she’s known her for years. She pulls back but holds on to Sunny’s shoulders, “Aren’t you just the most gorgeous creature” puts her hands on Sunny’s cheeks and nods, “gorgeous”

“Thank you” Sunny blushes, “it’s so good to meet you”

“Kim Sooyeon, call me Sooyeon please”

“Sooyeon…” Sunny smiles, “it smells delicious in here”

“Doesn’t it just?” Sooyeon walks back to the stove and stirs as she looks at Sunny.

Sunny unpacks the foods she’s brought, smiling uncomfortably as Sooyeon stares at her. “I’m just going to pop the turkey roast into the oven to keep it warm” presses the digital buttons on Taeyeon’s high end appliance, “What ever happened to turn dials” she laughs as the machine talks back to her in a high pitched beep.

“I can help you” Sophia says, sliding off a stool and carrying it over to the oven, “I watch Emma cook all the time” climbs up and kneels on the stool, “what temperature?”

“Sunny, come see the tree!” Bella and Jamie run into the kitchen.

“Mama the tree is gigantic and there’s millions of presents all under it” Jamie all but shouts, his arms outstretched to prove his point. Sunny hears Sooyeon huff behind her.

Bella whispers to Sunny, “Mum bought a murdered tree and Granny’s cross about it”

“I see…” Sunny whispers back. “Sooyeon…” takes Jamie’s hand and leads him to the older woman, “this is my son, Jamie”

Sooyeon throws the spoon down once more and immediately cups Jamie’s face, pinching his cheeks, “Look at that face” she cries, “what an angel” hugs Jamie to her.

Jamie grimaces and looks at his mother when Sooyeon releases him. “Love, this is Taeyeon’s mum, Bella and Sophia’s granny” Sunny bends down and explains, “her name is Sooyeon”

“You can call her Granny too” Bella says as she swipes an orange slice off the counter and on it.

“Of course he can” Sooyeon agrees.

“I have a granny but she’s in Jeonju” Jamie says, “right, Mama?”

“You’re right, and we’re going to call her in a bit to wish her a happy Christmas”

“Come on guys; let’s go count our presents” Bella leads the way and all three children run out of the kitchen.

“Greedy little things my grandchildren have turned into since they moved here”

“It’s become a greedy holiday” Sunny shrugs, “but they’re good girls” she adds as she begins washing potatoes in the sink.

“You know them rather well” Sooyeon smiles, “you spend a lot of time with them”

“Yeah…” Sunny nods slowly, “we all spend quite a bit of time together”

“That’s lovely” Sooyeon stirs, then taps the wooden spoon on the edge of a pot and approaches the sink, leaning back and crossing her arms, “and how about Taeyeon?”

Sunny grabs another potato, “What about Taeyeon?

“Do you spend much time with her… alone?”

Sunny smirks and looks at Sooyeon from the side of her eyes, “Not very much… we usually do things with the kids”

“That’s nice. But wouldn’t you like to spend time with her alone?”

Sunny has to laugh, “Not very subtle are you, Sooyeon”

“It’s never been a strong suit of mine”

Sunny turns off the tap and shakes the water from her hands, turns to Sooyeon, “I love spending time all together” picks up a towel.

“Not what I asked, dear, but ok” Sooyeon winks. “Now why don’t you go upstairs and kick my daughter in the and tell her to get down here and spend time with her family”

“Gladly” Sunny grins, “though I think I’ll check on the kids first… it’s far too quiet in there”

“I’m nearly done, Mum” Taeyeon responds to the knock.

Sunny peeks her head in the door, “Not your mum”

“Sunny… hi”

“I was instructed to come up here and kick your ” walks around to Taeyeon’s side of the desk.

Taeyeon looks up at her, and then lets her eyes wander down Sunny’s body, admiring her festive, and very tight, dress. Clears , “I’d like to see you try and kick my in that thing” motions up and down.

“Oh, you’d be surprised the things I can do in this”

“Really…” raises a curious eyebrow.

“”

Taeyeon laughs, “Happy Christmas”

“And to you”

...

“Mum… may we please look in our stockings now?”

“Please, Taeyeon?” Jamie bats his long eyelashes at her as she holds him.

Taeyeon looks at Sunny who nods. “Alright, let’s get Granny in here as well”

No sooner are the words out of before Bella is yelling, her voice echoing throughout the large house. Jamie wiggles out of Taeyeon’s arms.

“What’s all the commotion?” Sooyeon slowly walks into the living room.

“We’re going to look in our stockings, Granny”

“Everyone grab one that doesn’t belong to you and hand it to the person who it does belong to” Sophia says, “that’s what Mummy used to have us do”

Taeyeon closes her eyes and it’s quiet for a moment before Sunny says, “I think that’s a wonderful tradition to keep on with, Sophia”

Sooyeon pats Sunny’s back as she walks by. Jamie struggles to grab a stocking hung on the mantle so Taeyeon lifts him up. He carefully unhooks it and looks at the name. Taeyeon whispers in his ear and he walks over and hands it to his mother.

“Thank you, sweetheart” looks over at Taeyeon, “you really didn’t have to put up stockings for us”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Sunny. This is obviously the work of Father Christmas…”

Jamie runs to Taeyeon’s side, “Santa was here?”

“He was, James, and he brought you lots and lots of gifts”

Jamie sighs, “I love him”

Everyone settles in on the sofas and digs inside their stockings, each reacting to the goodies they unwrap.

“Oh… wow” says Bella.

“I needed these” Sunny smiles, inspecting her new kitchen tools.

“New drawing pencils, cool” Sophia opens the long box.

“Looks like Santa’s brought me a new Rolex” Taeyeon grins at the watch she bought herself. Sunny takes a few pictures of everyone.

“Well, it seems Father Christmas went a bit batty with his credit card this year” Sooyeon glares at her daughter, her own lap full of expensive whatnots that she doesn’t really need.

“A car, Mama” Jamie beams and holds the Hot Wheels package up high before reaching his hand into the stocking and pulling out another wrapped treasure.

“I should… check on the food” Sunny says and excuses herself.

As the kids ooh and ah over each other’s things, Taeyeon checks her new watch and realizes Sunny’s been gone for a good ten minutes. She asks her mum to keep an eye on the kids and goes to seek her out.

She walks into the kitchen to find Sunny’s body shaking as she stands in front of the stove stirring something. Quietly she approaches, “Hey…”

Sunny jumps. Drops the spoon on the stove and slowly walks into Taeyeon, burying her face in her chest. Taeyeon hesitantly wraps her arms around Sunny’s sobbing body. I can’t handle you crying.

Lays her cheek gently against Sunny’s head, “What’s wrong?”

“I’m just… overwhelmed” Sunny sobs.

“Alright… shh…” Taeyeon rubs her back, “overwhelmed by what?”

Sunny sniffles and Taeyeon walks them both back a few steps to tear a piece of paper towel off the holder. “Thanks” Sunny wipes her nose.

Taeyeon keeps hold of her and brings a shaky hand up to Sunny’s hair. You feel so good in my arms.

“This… whole thing… is a bit overwhelming” Sunny hiccups into Taeyeon’s chest.

“What whole thing?”

“Being here… with you… and the girls… and Jamie…” the sobs come again, and Taeyeon pulls back and cups Sunny’s face.

“Are you unhappy?”

Sunny shakes her head, sniffs, “No…” shakes her head again, “no”

Taeyeon brushes away Sunny’s tears with her thumbs, “Alright… shh” pulls Sunny back into her. She continues Sunny’s back and hair until her breaths even out. With one final, deep sigh, Taeyeon feels her body relax.

“Last Christmas Jamie was in the hospital” Sunny’s voice cracks. Taeyeon holds on tighter. “He was barely conscious, and I thought he was going to die…”

“But he didn’t. He’s here and he’s well and…”

“I know. That’s it exactly” Sunny lifts her head, “watching him; seeing his face light up, hearing him laugh… it got to me. It took me back…” Sunny slides her hands from around Taeyeon’s back and rests them on Taeyeon’s waist.

“There’s always a trigger, isn’t there” Taeyeon brushes away hair from Sunny’s forehead and hesitates slightly before placing a soft, lingering kiss between her eyebrows.

When she pulls back her eyes can’t help looking down at Sunny’s red lips, which are being moistened by Sunny’s pink tongue. Kiss her. No don’t kiss her!

“Oh, ” the voice causes them both to jump away from each other, “I was never here…” Sooyeon says, waving a hand as she walks back out of the kitchen, “carry on…”

“’s sake, Mum, come back” Taeyeon calls, following her out of the kitchen.

Sunny quickly picks up the spoon and begins to stir. She feels the heat in her cheeks and backs away from the stove, which doesn’t help cool her down.

“Sorry about that, dear” Sooyeon apologizes and opens the oven when she walks back in.

Sunny turns to face her “Nothing to be sorry about”

“Your face tells me otherwise, love”

“This smells fantastic” Taeyeon says as she cuts into the turkey. Sunny serves all the children some roasted potatoes, brussel sprouts, bread sauce and stuffing, while Sooyeon pours drinks for everyone. Three tongues stick out at the sight of the green vegetable rolling around on their plates.

Once they’re all served, Taeyeon raises her glass, “I just wanted to say thanks to Mum and Sunny for cooking us this special meal, and to James and Sunny – thanks for joining us and making this Christmas very special. And Mum… Granny… thanks for flying all the way here to be with us” tips her glass of wine and sips.

Sooyeon pats Taeyeon’s hand, “That was very sweet, love”

The sound of silverware against fine China fills the room. Sunny spies Jamie having trouble cutting his food and motions to Taeyeon, who Jamie insisted on sitting next to. Taeyeon leans over, chewing a mouth full of food, and cuts Jamie’s food into small pieces.

“Oh, I almost forgot!” Sooyeon suddenly gets up and runs out of the dining room. Taeyeon shrugs at Sunny and keeps eating.

Sooyeon returns minutes later with a bag, “I brought kimchi from home” hands one to each child, “I’m glad I brought some extra ones”

“What do they taste like?” Jamie asks.

“Does your child not know what kimchi is?” Taeyeon looks at Sunny, appalled.

“Kimchi aren’t American, Taeyeon”

“Right. But he’s not American… Sunny”

Sunny glares at her, “Well, it’s not something we did faithfully in my family so…”

“Oh, hush you two” Sooyeon hands some kimchi to each of them and sits down.

“Oh, Sophia, this is beautiful” Sunny carefully takes out the drawing from its wrapping; “did you do this?” extends an arm to the little girl. Sophia smiles and sits down next to Sunny on the floor.

“I found a picture of this church in Jeonju on the internet and I thought you might like a drawing of something from your home city”

“I used to sit in front of this very cathedral and read all the time. I love it, thank you” Sunny kisses Sophia’s temple and squeezes her close. “She’s pretty talented” Sunny tells Taeyeon, noticing Taeyeon already looking at her.

“She is indeed. You should see some of the oils she’s done – brilliant stuff”

“I had no idea…”

“Alright, James?” Taeyeon holds back a laugh as Jamie sits on the floor surrounded by torn wrapping paper, boxes and toys. He has a smile plastered on his little face; his eyes glazed over and his crown still on from lunch earlier in the day.

“He looks stoned” Sooyeon quietly says to her daughter.

“Mum…!”

Sooyeon shrugs, “Well he does”

“Jamie, give Taeyeon and Sooyeon the gifts we brought for them”

It takes Jamie a minute to compute his mother’s words, but soon he stands, making sure to pick up his new football along the way, and hands Taeyeon and Sooyeon two boxes wrapped in brown paper.

“Jesus. Did you make the wrapping paper, too?” Taeyeon turns her gift over, observing hand drawn holly leaves, and scribbles she knows came from Jamie.

“It’s more personal… and much cheaper”

“It’s lovely, Sunny” Sooyeon smiles, unwrapping her gift.

“Those are soaps” Jamie announces nonchalantly, pointing at the box before Sooyeon can open it completely.

“Jamie…” Sunny shakes her head.

Sooyeon takes out the homemade soaps and smells them, “These are wonderful, just what I needed”

“I put in the flower petals” Jamie proudly says, and then turns his attention to Taeyeon. He scoots up on the sofa next to her, holding his football in his lap. “I made the frame” he smiles up at her as she takes it out of the box, “it’s macaroni… but you can’t eat it”

“He only knows this because he tried to” Sunny snitches.

Taeyeon’s eyes well up, “It’s perfect” her voice full of emotion.

“That’s after we went on the teacups at Disneyland” Bella says, looking at the photo of her mother, sister and herself, as she leans on the arm of the sofa.

“Thank you, James” Jamie hooks his arm through hers and squeezes. Taeyeon mouths thank you to Sunny as the children fuss over the photo.

Sunny holds her gaze, and Taeyeon knows she’s thinking about what happened in the kitchen earlier.

“My turn to give Sunny her present” Bella says and walks over to the tree to retrieve it. “Are you proud that we listened to you and made you stuff?” she asks, handing Sunny a thin, rectangular box.

“I am. Very proud” Sunny smiles, carefully unwrapping and opening the box, revealing a piece of red, textured paper, What’s this?”

“Turn it over” Bella tells her and kneels down in front of her.

Sunny turns the paper over and sees handwriting. She reads it to herself and her eyes soften as she does. She looks at Bella adoringly but says nothing.

“Well, what is it?” Taeyeon asks when Sunny doesn’t say anything for a minute.

“Want me to read it to you?” Bella slips the paper from Sunny’s hand. Sunny nods.

Bella clears , “"A Poem for Sunny, On This Christmas Day”"

Sophia goes to sit on her mother’s lap.

“That’s the title” Bella turns around and tells her audience on the sofa. Clears again,

“"Sunny is my friend, Sunny is sweet

She makes great pasta, she brings us treats

Her hair is blonde, though it isn’t real

Her eyes are brown, like a kiwi peel

I love Sunny’s laugh, I love Sunny’s smile

Nothing about Sunny is anywhere near vile

I hope Sunny can, and always will be

A part of my life and my family”"

“I used my best handwriting” Bella smiles, handing Sunny back the paper, “and the paper is really fancy… do you like it?”

Taeyeon thinks Sunny might lose it again from the look on her face, but Sunny instead holds up the paper and waves it at Taeyeon, “See? This…” emphasizes the word, “is priceless”

Taeyeon rolls her eyes.

“This is the most beautiful thing anyone’s ever written for me” she tells Bella, “thank you”

Bella hugs Sunny quickly, “Can me and Sophia open the presents you brought us?”

“Of course” Sunny looks around at the mess of wrapping paper and bows and spots her brown-papered gifts. She looks on as everyone opens their last present. “Not that you’ll ever need them here…” she says when Taeyeon puts on a knit beanie, scarf and mittens, “but maybe we can take a trip to the snow one of these days”

“Oh yes!” Sophia and Bella agree in unison, trying on their own winter garb. Sophia’s green and Bella’s blue match their eyes near perfectly.

“That doesn’t sound like a bad idea” Taeyeon agrees, throwing the end of her pale blue scarf over her shoulder with an attitude.

“You’ve been busy” Sooyeon says to Sunny, “I always wanted to learn how to knit” her lavender scarf.

“I’d offer to each you but I don’t think I’ll be knitting for quite some time” Sunny laughs, “maybe a blanket for my next baby or something…”

“Are you having a baby?” Bella looks at her, wide-eyed. All eyes land on Sunny.

“No!” Sunny laughs and begins gathering trash, “I want to, though… someday” stands up and looks at Taeyeon, “I mean, look at what I can make” points to her son, “pretty amazing, I think”

“Babies are all sugar and love” Sooyeon dreamily agrees. “Now, I think you” looks at her daughter, “need to take these children outside for some fresh air and let them play with their new things so Sunny and I can clean up in peace”

“Granny has spoken” Taeyeon stands, “out we go”

Sophia and Bella grab their new scooters while Jamie grabs his new remote control dune buggy, trying very hard not to drop his football in the process.

“Have fun” Sunny smirks at Taeyeon.

Taeyeon approaches her and quietly says, “I’ll give you mine later”

“You don’t need to give me…”

“Shush, Sunny. I have something for you and that’s that”

...

Sunny wraps Taeyeon’s large sweater around herself and holds her cup of tea between her hands. Sooyeon flops down next to her at the patio table and they watch Taeyeon play with the kids.

“She’s happy” Sooyeon says.

“What?”

“Taeyeon. She’s happy”

Sunny looks out over the backyard at Taeyeon who is trying out Bella’s motorized scooter and failing miserably at staying on. Laughs when Taeyeon falls on her and Bella hops on the scooter and takes off.

“Can you tell me about her?” Sunny looks at Sooyeon, “She hasn’t really opened up to me about any part of her life,” sips her tea, “I know about Tiffany’s illness and that she passed, but that’s pretty much it”

“Yes, well…” Sooyeon sighs, “Taeyeon’s always been a bit distant”

“What was she like as a child?”

“Moody and willful” Sooyeon says with a disgusted look on her face, “outwardly hard, inwardly a spongy mess. She didn’t wear shoes ‘til she was three” she adds with an heir of pride.

Sunny smiles and nods as if she somehow already knew this. “And what were her passions?”

Sooyeon tilts her head and smiles, “She loved animals and babies and anything she could take care of that wouldn’t talk back. She also wanted to rid the world of injustice” she explains, “even wrote an essay about it when she was just a wee thing”

Sunny laughs, “So that’s why she became a lawyer, makes sense. Why corporate law though?”

Sooyeon pats Sunny’s hand, “My daughter graduated with the highest honors and all she wanted to do was work for the people. She didn’t give a damn about all these fancy things she has now” Sooyeon leans back in her chair, “When she left university she worked for me at my community center – she wanted to save the world one person at a time” raises her hand victoriously, “She represented those who couldn’t afford representation; defended the poor, the outcasts, the forgotten… and it didn’t matter if she got paid in money or bread; she was happy”

“I see that in her” Sunny says, finding Taeyeon across the yard fixing Jamie’s car, “this life…” gestures to the grandiose house, “it doesn’t fit her”

“Bloody right it doesn’t”

“So what happened?”

Sooyeon shrugs, “She met Tiffany…”

“I don’t think Taeyeon would change her views for anyone, she’s entirely too stubborn” Sunny softly laughs.

“Yes, well… it was all very wonderful and romantic… in the beginning. Taeyeon was protesting the testing of animals by some large corporation…”

“And Tiffany represented said corporation?”

“Yes. Taeyeon had thrown something into the crowd at the protest and hit someone. But my genius of a daughter hadn’t noticed that Tiffany saw her throw it… anyway, one thing led to another and a year later they were living together”

“That is very romantic”

“Mm. Taeyeon was in love for the first time in her life, and I think she was happy. She was twenty three and settled and… well. Tiffany pressured Taeyeon about having children, and she finally gave in”

“You don’t think she was ready”

“Who’s to say? But they had the twins and Taeyeon was over the moon. Then Tiffany went back to work and Taeyeon was Mum. Full-time. At twenty-four. She used to carry one in the front and one in the back in this ridiculous contraption” Sooyeon laughs, motioning to her back and front.

“I could tell…” Sunny looks off at nothing.

“Could tell what, dear”

“I knew she was close to them; closer than she let on”

“Oh, yes. They were her life, and she took pride in taking them to the center and taking them round to shelters; teaching them about helping others and standing up for what you believe in… I was so proud” leans her cheek on a fist, “then Tiffany got sick and it all went a bit ”

“You don’t have to tell me any more if you don’t want to”

“It’s fine, love” she sighs, “Tiffany worked through the first year of her illness but then it became too taxing and she was in and out of hospital for the next four years. Taeyeon was beside herself; caring for her children and caring for Tiffany… the medical bills kept piling up. Tiffany was on so many medications and her moods were unpredictable toward the end, and one day she told Taeyeon to grow up and get a real job…”

“Oh, no…”

“So my baby went out and sold out. Tiffany died, and Taeyeon became obsessed with work; shutting herself off from every thing and every one. And that’s the short of it, dear”

Sunny hears the laughter of the children and spots them wrestling Taeyeon to the ground, “Did she blame herself… for Tiffany’s death?”

Sooyeon ponders Sunny’s question, “No, I don’t think so. But there were many things that happened surrounding her death that Taeyeon’s just now beginning to heal from”

Sunny slowly nods, “Thanks, Sooyeon, for sharing all of this with me”

Sooyeon takes Sunny’s hand, “Thank you for caring”

“I think I’ll go and play with them now” Sunny gestures with her head, “Taeyeon looks outnumbered”

...

“Are you sure it’s ok if we stay? If he hadn’t fallen asleep…”

“Sunny, for the hundredth time…”

“Ok… ok” Sunny puts her hands up in surrender, “Crabby”

Bella and Sophia come out of their bathroom and climb onto Sophia’s bed, “Today was the best day ever” Bella hugs Sunny.

“I think so too” Taeyeon looks on as Sunny kisses her daughter’s cheek and walks around the bed to Sophia and does the same, “goodnight, little ones”

Taeyeon does the same, then waits for Sunny at the door while she checks on Jamie, who passed out in Bella’s bed earlier in the evening.

“He’s out for the night” Sunny whispers as they close the door behind them.

“I need a shower” Taeyeon says, walking down the hall towards her room, “pick a room… any room” she calls back to Sunny as she rounds a corner, “I’ll meet you on the back patio in twenty”

Sunny chooses the room directly across from Bella and Sophia’s bedroom. Thinks she can use a shower herself, after rolling around with the kids outside.

Taeyeon hears the shower running and throws the clothes she brought on the bed. Walks to the open bathroom door, “I brought you some clothes…” she shouts into the bathroom, “they’re on the bed” hears Sunny shout a thanks and resists the temptations of swinging the door open, ripping off her own clothes and joining Sunny in her shower.

Taeyeon makes her way downstairs and passes her mother’s room on the way, “Hey Mum, you staying in?”

Sooyeon looks up from her book, “Yes, dear, I’ll keep an ear on the children. You and Sunny have some fun” winks at her daughter.

“What’s that wink for, Mum”

“Must be a twitch, love” continues reading, “have fun”

...

Taeyeon stokes the fire in the pit and watches a new log catch on. She sits back in the low patio chair and sips her wine, thinking about the events of the day. Realizes she hasn’t felt this hopeful and happy in a long time. It feels right to her, having Sunny and Jamie here with her family.

“What’re you thinking about?” Sunny pulls a chair up next to Taeyeon and plops down in it.

“Sneaking up on me now?” hands Sunny a glass of wine.

“I like watching you” takes a long drink of wine, eyes Taeyeon over the rim of the glass.

“Oh?” Taeyeon smirks, “and what is so fascinating about me?”

Sunny curls up in her chair and faces Taeyeon, “You’re always pensive, and I like trying to figure out what it is you’re thinking about”

“Any luck?”

“Not really” Sunny smiles, “I’ve just always been more of an observer, I suppose”

“As opposed to…?

“A talker? I don’t know?” she laughs.

“I’ve got news for you Sunny; you’re definitely a talker”

Sunny slaps her arm, “Alright”

Taeyeon downs her wine and pours another glass, “It’s a lovely night” looks up at the clear, starry sky.

“It’s bloody cold” Sunny laughs.

“Are you cold?” concerned, “we can go inside if you like” starts to get up.

Sunny grabs her hand and pulls her back down, “I’m fine, Taeyeon. Just an observation”

“Oh, right… the great observer”

“” Sunny squeezes Taeyeon’s hand, hard, but doesn’t let go. Taeyeon flinches. She bites her lip when Sunny threads their fingers together and rests their joined hands between them on the arms of the chairs.

“Is this ok?” Sunny searches out Taeyeon’s eyes.

“Yeah”

...

An hour and three glasses of wine later, their hands are still connected. Taeyeon had let go once to get more logs for the fire, and when she’d come back she’d hesitated initiating taking Sunny’s hand again. But Sunny had reached out her hand and Taeyeon took it right away.

“…He’s such a goofball” Sunny throws her head back with laughter as Taeyeon regales her with stories of Jamie and the girls that she missed while she and Sooyeon were cleaning up.

“And then Bella says, "Mum, wouldn’t it be better if Jamie was a girl?"“

Sunny’s spills her wine as she convulses with laughter, “Oh god… no more. I can’t take any more” holds her stomach.

“Whoa there, drunky, give me your glass”

Sunny hands her the glass and her laughter begins to subside. A few giggles sputter out as she takes deep breaths. Taeyeon watches her, amused and in awe. You are perfect, Sunny Lee. From the tip of your cute ing nose…

“Now you’re the one who’s watching” Sunny smirks.

“Sorry” apologizes but doesn’t look away.

“What…?”

“You’re adorable” it falls out of and she doesn’t regret it.

Sunny’s face is serious, “That was quite charming of you”

“That was quite charming of the wine” Taeyeon says and tips her glass toward Sunny.

“Well now it’s not nearly as charming” Sunny shakes her head, “and to think I was going to kiss you for saying it”

Taeyeon laughs, but then Sunny’s admission actually makes it through her ears and into her brain. “Huh?”

“My wine said it was going to kiss your wine for being so charming. But you ruined it” Sunny untangles their fingers, gets up and walks toward the house. Taeyeon is stunned, watches her walk away. Snaps out of her fog and quickly caps the fire and takes off after her.

She finds Sunny curled up on the sofa, staring at the Christmas tree. “I’m an ” Taeyeon says, approaching the back of the sofa. Sunny looks up and smiles, reaches out her hand, and Taeyeon takes it, barely holding on as she rounds the sofa. She sits, leaving some space between them. Leans her head on the back of the sofa and looks at the ten foot, murdered tree she bought; the lights decorating it the only source of light in the room.

The sound of Taeyeon’s hair rubbing against the upholstery as she turns her head prompts Sunny to look at her.

“You weren’t really going to kiss me, were you” Taeyeon squints at her.

“You’ll never know” her smirk breaks into a yawn, “I’m rather tired, think I’ll go to bed. But thanks for the wine… and the fire”

“Yeah, course” Taeyeon stands up with her, their hands still connected. “Oh, hang on” lets go and walks to the tree. Reaches in and pulls out an envelope, “Your gift” hands it to Sunny.

Sunny takes a deep breath and opens the envelope. Her eyebrows furrow and then her eyes grow wide. She looks at Taeyeon, back at the paper and back at Taeyeon.

“Say something, then”

“I… Taeyeon…” tears pour out of her eyes.

“Oh… it wasn’t supposed to make you cry” worriedly rubs Sunny’s arm. “Come here, you” wraps her arms around Sunny’s waist, hugging her briefly.

Sunny steps back once, twice, “Taeyeon…”

“I made the money and I made the donation” grins cheekily, “so there’s nothing you can say about it; I made it all by myself”

“I’m… speechless”

“That’s a first”

“You’re ruining another beautiful moment with your mouth”

“Sorry… sorry” Taeyeon steps toward her, “but you do like it?”

“Of course I ing… Taeyeon… no one has ever done anything like this for me”

“Good”

Sunny reads over the paper again, “In Jamie’s name” runs her finger over the embossed heading that reads "National Children’s Cancer Society"

“Mm hm” Taeyeon stands next to Sunny and reads over her shoulder.

“They’ve helped me so much, and now you’ve given back to them what I never would be able to”

“I have to confess I saw a letter from them at your flat and snooped a bit. I looked them up and found out what they’re all about and, I knew you wouldn’t take money from me directly, so I figured I’d help those who have helped you”

“It’s an obscene amount of money, Taeyeon”

Shrugs, “You and Jamie are worth it” she says honestly.

Sunny turns quickly and wraps her arms around Taeyeon’s neck, squeezing her tight, “Thank you. Goodnight, Taeyeon”

Taeyeon doesn’t have a chance to hug Sunny back; she’s gone in a flash. “Goodnight” she mumbles and collapses onto her sofa. She takes a deep breath and lays her head on a cushion, stares at the lights on the tree and drifts off to sleep.

...

...

...

 

**this fic own mine and my brother's. we worked this story together.