Parenting for Dummies - Chapter 8

Parenting for Dummies

Kibum grinned, greeting Kevin with a morning kiss. He pulled up the soft sheets to further cover Kevin’s body, since it was autumn time already. Walking into the bathroom, he took a shower and brushed his teeth, before leaving it five minutes later to change into his working clothes. Picking out a suit and wearing a tie that Kevin had done beforehand, he silently thanked his wife for helping him not fumble with the steps of doing a tie.

Stepping out of his room, he remembered his son on the sofa.

“Damn it.” Kibum cursed as he rushed to his baby, carrying him gently and then putting him into his crib. Smiling, he covered Alexander with a real baby blanket and caressed his tiny face with a finger. “Bye Xander, daddy’s off to work.”

He got silence as his reply, before seeing Alexander turn to change his sleeping position, kicking the covers off him.

Kibum chuckled internally, putting the covers over him again. “You might catch a cold, little darling, sleep tight.”

Taking one last glance, Kibum left the room quietly and left with his briefcase. Kevin was still sleeping and his mother wouldn’t stop by today, so he would have to buy breakfast himself.

Forgetting he had his two most important people in deep slumber in the house, he shut the door carelessly and locked it, in a rush for work.

Kevin blinked open his eyes, awakened by the loud bang of the door. He stifled a yawn and stretched his arms, feeling sore all over again. “Mm, honey, are you there?”

Receiving no reply, he felt the space around him and only felt the bed with soft sheets on it.

“Poor Kibummie-hyung, it’s so early and he’s out already.” Kevin sighed as he crawled out of bed and dragged his feet on the way to the bathroom to freshen up.

Getting new clothes from the closet, he went to check on Alexander.

“Where’s Xander?!” Kevin freaked out, not finding him on the sofa where they last placed him. “Oh! Kibum-hyung woke up first...”

As if whatever he said was some kind of explanation, he walked into Alexander’s baby room and found the angel his thumb in his dreams.

“Mommy will make you breakfast! Don’t eat yourself up~!” Kevin giggled and gently plucked out the tiny fingers of Alexander in fascination. Babies are really little bundles of joy. He stared at Alexander for another short moment, smiling at the sleeping baby.

“Sleep on, little darling, mommy will make you a nice breakfast.” Kevin rearranged the plush toys in Alexander’s crib. “Winnie the Pooh is looking over you! Have some pretty dreams, okay?”

Kevin skipped out of the room happily, getting ingredients to make breakfast. Alexander does not have any teeth yet, so it would still be baby formula as his diet. Humming elatedly to himself, he made himself fresh orange juice and buttered toast.

It was fun making breakfast again, though it was a lot less tiring when his mother-in-law was here. Yet he felt accomplished, that he was managing his own family and making it comfortable for his husband and child.

After finishing his breakfast and making Alexander’s, Kevin brought the milk bottle with him as he walked towards Alexander’s room. “Time to wake baby Xander~!”

-

Kibum came home after dinner to see Kevin talking to himself, and he was thoroughly amused by the scene. “Baby, are you okay?”

“Oh, hi honey! You have absolutely no idea how fun my day was.” Kevin grinned widely, using Alexander’s hand to wave to Kibum.

Kibum waved back more to Alexander than Kevin, and Kevin beckoned for Kibum to join the mother and son on the sofa. Kibum was doubtful about how fun Kevin’s day could have been, but why burst his wife’s bubble when it doesn’t matter to have happy thoughts?

“How about your day? Honey, was it fun?” Kevin cuddled up close to Kibum.

“As fun as paperworks and routines can be.” Kibum said sarcastically, taking Alexander from Kevin, placing him on his lap.

Alexander immediately cried.

“Little Xander! Don’t cry, it’s only daddy!” Kevin quickly brought Alexander back into his embrace, patting his back and rocking him from left to right and back to left. “It’s only daddy, don’t be afraid!”

Alexander ignored and wailed loudly, tiny fists clutching Kevin’s collarbone as if it would cost him his life if he let go. He leaned close to Kevin’s chest, looking up at Kevin’s face with puppy eyes, seemingly telling him to not give him to Kibum.

“Alexander never showed such negative reactions to you...” Kevin muttered under his breath. “Ah! Must be because you left him outside on the sofa! I told you-”

Kibum kissed Kevin to stop him from ranting. “Let him cry, baby. Babies are suppose to cry anyway. Keep on giving in to his cries and he won’t have a father in time to come.”

In a quick motion, Kibum got Alexander in his arms and stared into his big round eyes. They had a small staring competition, and Kibum looked as if he was daring Alexander to cry, who didn’t dare. Kibum had a scary face like that.

“I think he’s afraid of you.” Kevin looked curiously at the father and son. “Don’t scare Xander! I want him to have a happy childhood!”

“Tell that to my mother, I didn’t choose to look like that.” Kibum rolled his eyes, and Alexander started laughing. Kibum laughed along, and the whole family started laughing. In a high-pitched and aegyo voice that Kibum rarely used, he ruffled Alexander’s non-existent hair. “Do I look funny?”

Kibum doesn’t know how Alexander understood, or whether he really did or not. Yet the small angel nodded and clapped his hands in joy, all happy to be in Kibum’s arms now.

“Wait a minute.” Kibum paused and frowned. Alexander looked back with curious eyes. “Why is he in a dress?”

“You took forever to realise that!” Kevin facepalmed himself, standing up behind Xander so that both of them were facing Kibum. “We’re wearing matching dresses!”

Kibum blinked. “Oh no. Tell me you’re not serious that you want to turn him into a girl.”

“I’m not serious.” Kevin complied, returning to his seat.

“Phew.” Kibum sighed in relief, now fine with the idea of playing with Alexander’s orange polka-dotted dress.

“But I am.”

Kibum turned to Kevin in such a sudden motion his neck cramped. “Ouch, ouch, ouch!”

Kevin bit his lip in worry. “Do you want an ice pack to sooth the cramp?”

“Tell me what I should do to stop you from turning Xander into a girl. I’ll do anything, baby. I’ll do anything.” Kibum grabbed his neck hard, and Kevin whacked his hand away, deciding to massage the pain away instead.

“Kibummie-hyung!” Kevin whined. “You know how much I want a baby girl. So until we get one, just let me have my fun. I promise to give him shorts when he turns three. Or when he’s old enough to tell who is a girl and who is a boy.”

“Kevin, no.” Kibum shook his head with a strict glare. “Alexander will grow up and die from the embarrassment of being dressed up like a girl when he was young. No.”

“This is the first time I want something so badly! I don’t care, I’m not giving in.” Kevin stomped away, snatching Alexander away from Kibum. “Sleep on the sofa. I don’t want to see you for the rest of the night!”

Kibum didn’t know why he bothered fighting with Kevin.

He knew he would give in someday.

Why not that day be today?

“All right, you win.”

-

Thank you all subscribers, commenters and readers! I cannot thank you guys enough <3