Parenting for Dummies - Chapter 29

Parenting for Dummies

“I'll do the drawings!” Alexander announced.

Soohyun pouted. “But you're doing everything! I don't want to do this anymore!”

Alexander bit his lower lip and sighed. “Okay, you'll draw, but you have to draw prettily. Can I draw the dress though?”

“Sure!” Soohyun grinned. “I'll draw the pretty ball.”

“Don't draw a soccer ball!” Alexander whined.

“It's not important anyway! Let me draw a ball! Please?” Soohyun pleaded.

“Aish, okay, fine.” Alexander pouted. “Go on and draw. I'll draw the prettiest dress!”

“I'll draw the biggest ball!”

-

“Good afternoon, Mrs Kim.” The doctor gestured for Kevin to take a seat.

“Afternoon.” Kevin smiled, doing as he was silently asked to.

“Eager to find out the gender again?” The doctor chuckled slightly, adding some notes on Kevin’s profile.

“Yeah. Wondering if it's a girl.” Kevin nodded and giggled.

“All right, please lay back.”

The doctor then did the normal procedures for ultrascan. Kevin tried to make sense of what he could see, trusting that he saw enough to understand. He couldn't make out anything this time, though.

“Hmm...” The doctor hummed, checking the screen.

“Is there's something wrong?” Kevin asked worriedly.

“No.” The doctor smiled. “Congratulations, Mrs Kim. You have a pair of boys.”

“Twins?!” Kevin gasped. “Wow! Twins!”

The doctor nodded with a smile. “That's probably why it's a lot heavier than the previous two. Do take care of yourself. With a pair a twins, you'd be more prone to backaches and fatigue.”

“I'll take note of that. Thank you!” Kevin bowed his thanks happily as he exited.

-

“Mommy! Mommy! Can baby hear us?” Soohyun hopped excitedly as Kevin returned from his trip to the hospital.

Kevin picked Soohyun up and walked towards Alexander who was on the sofa.

“Sweeties,” Kevin started. “It's not only one.”

Alexander blinked in confusion. Soohyun just did not bother.

“It's a pair of babies. You'll have two younger brothers!”

“Wow!” Alexander and Soohyun clapped their hands cutely.

“Okay, can they hear us?” Soohyun asked again, switching to “they” instead of “baby”. There’s two babies, Soohyun reminded himself.

“I think so.” Kevin nodded with a smile. “Why?”

“We have a story to read to them.” Alexander grinned from ear to ear, nudging Soohyun before giggling.

“Oh? What's the title?” Kevin looked at his two sons with curiousity evident on his face.

“Erm...we haven't thought of it.” Soohyun shook his head with a shy smile. 

“Okay, you can start.” Kevin grinned and sat back.

“Once upon a time, there lived a very beautiful boy.” Alexander narrated as Soohyun pointed at a square-headed boy with long hair. Kevin assumed that was a very beautiful boy.

“He had lovely parents and went to school.” Alexander continued, and Soohyun jabbed at a triangle with many stickmen below it.

“Mm, school. You'll be going to school in three years time.” Kevin told Alexander, who looked surprised.

“Oh! Will there be many people?”

“All your age.” Kevin confirmed.

“Continue! Continue!” Soohyun hurried Alexander, who quickly turned his head back to his stack of paper.

“The boy was called Kevin!” Kevin laughed as he heard his name. “And in school, he met another boy called Kibum!”

“I think you two have something up your sleeves!” Kevin gave an amused frown.

Soohyun blinked innocently and rolled up his sleeves. “No, there’s nothing!”

“Hyunnie, something up one’s sleeves means that that person has secret plans or ideas.” Kevin explained while chuckling.

“No! It’s not a secret!” Soohyun shook his head furiously.

“Okay, okay. Xander, you may continue.” Kevin nodded.

“Erm...The two of them were not so good kids. They clicked.” Alexander said. Soohyun showed Kevin a picture of a computer and a mouse, where there was “clik clik” around the mouse. “They then exchanged phone numbers so they can call each other!”

“I didn’t know we clicked.” Kevin took the picture Soohyun showed him to study in closer detail, laughing at the sudden appearance of a computer. He stared into space and repeated what he just said. “Oh. That’s really smart!”

Soohyun grinned widely, although he doesn’t know what he did right.

“Kibum then realised he was in the wrong place. He was with the younger people.” Alexander narrated and Soohyun showed a tall stickman in the middle of many short stickman.

“This is Kibum!” Soohyun jabbed at the tall stickman.

“You kids! You are even calling us by our names!” Kevin shot Alexander and Soohyun disapproving looks for not using formalities, although his smile was still plastered on his face. “Tsk, wait till I tell your daddy!”

Alexander stuck out his tongue. “This is a story!”

“Okay, okay.” Kevin admitted defeat, gesturing for the narrator to continue his job.

“He ran out of the class.” Soohyun showed Kevin two pictures. One showed a rectangle with “1+1=2”, the other showed a rectangle with “1x2=2”.

Kevin cocked his head to a side. Soohyun whispered to him. “In younger classes, you learn addition. In older classes, you learn multication.”

“It’s multiplication, darling.” Kevin nodded in understanding. “Not very true, but all right.”

“Kevin pressed the magic number on his magic phone, and he found out that Kibum was in the wrong class. He laughed at Kibum, then asked for them to eat lunch together!” Another piece of paper fell into Kevin’s hand, this time was a big mouth that was open, a row of teeth above and below the word “lunch”.

“Then, there was an invitation to the graduation night where people go to the ball and have a dance.” Alexander continued, this time taking out a piece of paper. “I drew this! Kevin went to the ball in this pretty dress!”

“Mm, he must have looked great.” Kevin smiled, admiring Alexander’s drawing (which was better than Soohyun, but Kevin wouldn’t tell Soohyun that).

“They went into the ball!” Soohyun tugged Kevin’s arm excitedly and showed Kevin a soccer ball (oval-shaped). “This is the biggest ball! It’s even bigger than my ball! See!”

Soohyun brought the soccer ball from the floor and compared it for Kevin. “See? The biggest ball!”

“Yes, it’s the biggest ball!” Kevin exclaimed and ruffled Soohyun’s hair lovingly, amused by his adorableness. “What happens next?”

“Um, Kibum and Kevin went to see the sun move up and down instead.” Soohyun held up a picture with a sun and brought the piece of paper up and down manually.

“Kibum wanted to go home. Kevin started to cry.” A crying face was drawn on the square-headed boy with long hair. “Kevin then ran off, then there was a car coming.”

“Beep! Beeeep!” Soohyun beeped as he showed a rectangle on two circles next to a square-headed boy with long hair.


“Kibum pulled Kevin away and they get married.”  Alexander clapped his hands, signalling the end of his story. “How was it? Was it nice?”

“It was very cute.” Kevin clapped along.

“Nooooo! That’s not the end!” Soohyun frowned. “This is the end!”

Kevin brought the paper Soohyun held in front of Alexander and him, who asked to see it, and saw two tall stickmen (yes, one of it was the square-headed long hair boy), two short stickmen, and a question mark.

“What’s the question mark?”

“The ball in your stomach! I mean, baby! I don’t know if it was a girl or a boy.” Soohyun laughed sheepishly. “Wait, I shall draw two boys now!”

Kevin and Alexander looked at each other and smiled. Soohyun quickly added two tiny stickmen and presented it to Kevin again.

“Our family portrait! I’ll paste it up on the wall for your daddy to see, okay?” Kevin watched Soohyun give him a proud smile, nodding his head at Kevin’s question.

-

So much thanks for the love my 19 commenters have for me that they voiced it out ;~; <3
(Or well, Kemaru, but I shall assume it's for me too :P)
And my 114 subscribers :D
Hoped you guys enjoyed this too! It's somewhat a repeat of the previous chapter, but more kiddish :D!