Parenting for Dummies - Chapter 16

Parenting for Dummies

Alexander had his front two teeth growing, and there were short strands of hair sprouting from his head already. Soohyun officially turned six month old, looking older than his older brother (who was more than twice his age) because he was taller.

He tried his best to get close to Soohyun, but it was as if the younger one didn’t let him. Somehow, Alexander just cannot get close to Soohyun.

That annoyed him, to some extent. It also worried him. To some extent.

He tried something else. No more Barbie dolls, because the younger wasn’t interested (that made him kind of pissed off, but he wouldn’t show it to his parents – he wanted to look like the perfect older brother they thought he would be). He placed his dolls and the things that came along with the doll back in his room, walking (a little clumsily) back to Soohyun and then pointing towards the sofa. Soohyun stared back at him, and Alexander sighed.

“Look at me.” Alexander instructed, walking towards the side of the sofa where there was a children’s step stool. He carried (a little heavy for his tiny form) and moved it to the front of the sofa, then signalling for Soohyun to crawl over.

Soohyun looked amazed, crawling over on all fours. When he reached Alexander’s side, he saw the older one crawling up the steps, before pushing himself up on the sofa. Alexander beckoned for the younger to do the same and join him on the sofa.

Soohyun blinked at the steps, wriggling forward and putting an arm on the steps. He pushed downwards, but couldn’t get up on the first step. Alexander scratched his head. It was easy when he did it, why can’t Soohyun do it? Going down the steps, Alexander helped raise Soohyun’s lower body. As the both of them are still young and weak, Alexander ended up falling on the floor with Soohyun’s legs in his face.

“WAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” Soohyun wailed, body hurting from the impact of the slight fall.

Kevin immediately rushed out, looking at the brothers in a tangled mess. He carried Soohyun in one arm and helped Alexander pick himself up with the other. “What happened, Xander?”

“I was teach him sofa.” Alexander pouted.

Kevin smiled, bouncing Soohyun in his arms to make him feel better. “Okay, but not so soon. Soohyun’s still very young. You only recently learned how to get on the sofa, but Soohyun’s not your age yet so he can take his time. Meanwhile, you can call me over to put you two on the sofa, okay?”

Alexander nodded obediently although barely understanding Kevin, and crawled up the steps himself, wanting to prove that he was independent enough. Kevin patted Alexander’s head and placed the no longer crying Soohyun beside Alexander. Kevin then passed the television remote control to Alexander, trusting him to know which buttons to press. “Have fun, I’ll be cleaning up your room.”

Soohyun looked at the remote control and punched the button, finding joy in pressing the buttons down and then seeing them pop back up. Alexander grabbed Soohyun’s hands and stopped him.

“No, spoil!” Alexander crawled to the other end of the sofa where all the cushions were placed.

Soohyun went back to punching the buttons, happily switching channels unknowingly. Pushing the cushion forward as he crawled back, Alexander snatched the remote control to his side, safe from the danger of the button-pressing monster. Soohyun looked like he was about to cry for a moment, but was grinning when Alexander placed the cushion he got from the other end of the sofa on his lap.

Pressing the right buttons like he had been taught to, Alexander watched the cartoons showing.

Alone.

Bonding session with Soohyun was once again a failure, as the younger one was not one to concentrate on a single thing for a long time (like all babies, like Alexander when he was young, but he doesn’t know).

-

“What do you think?” Kevin asked as he slipped into bed, sitting up like Kibum.

“What do I think of what?” Kibum replied with a question, turning his head to face Kevin.

“Of Alexander, of Soohyun, of them.” Kevin said as if it was obvious. “What else could you be thinking of?”

“Erm, a new plan for the company?” Kibum raised his eyebrows. “What’s wrong with the brothers?”

Kevin sighed. “There’s nothing wrong wrong, but I feel that Alexander has been behaving a little weirdly.”

“Oh. That’s new.” Kibum answered sarcastically, and caused Kevin to whack his shoulders. “Ouch! But really, when is Alexander not weird?”

“Well, weird in a weird way! In a way that he’s kind of normal.” Kevin said in some sort of explanation, hands flailing around in hope of his husband having telepathy with him to understand the special hand language.

“Oh, that’s weird.” Kibum nodded. “Why? What’s wrong?”

“You don’t feel it? What kind of father are you!?” Kevin accused, and immediately got Kibum pouting.

“Maybe I felt it but shrug it off? Explain further, baby.” Kibum pulled Kevin closer, suddenly wanting something to hug. “Oh, did you buy a new hair conditioner? I like the old one better.”

“Really? No, back to the topic. I mean, he’s being nice to Soohyun even if Soohyun has been throwing his dolls around like rubbish.” Kevin said, but got self-conscious as his hand went up to his hair, as if trying to grab the scent of his hair. “This is supposedly better though, but yeah, the smoothness is kinda scarily slippery.”

“Mm, it’s a little ticklish too. And what’s wrong with Alexander being a nice brother?” Kibum’s head shifted, now breathing down Kevin’s neck. “Baby, are you sure we’re using the same body wash? Why do you make me want to pin you down on the bed so bad?”

“No, I’m not going through pregnancy any time soon. Two babies under eighteen months is enough to keep me busy for a long while, you’re not going to change my mind.” Kevin said sternly, keeping in mind there was another conversation going on. “Yes, we are using the same body wash, and it’s not about Alexander being a nice brother. More of Alexander not being protective over his dolls.”

“Oh. I see the problem.” Kibum nodded. “Or maybe he got over the doll phase. Is he showing any interest in girls on television? I see him staring at the TV a lot now. And baby, surely you know there’s such a thing called .”

Kevin immediately filtered out the conversation and decided to only reply to the rated G one. “Truthfully? He isn’t showing interest in girls. He’s showing interest more on their pretty long curly hair and the newest series of mini-dresses.”

Kibum chuckled. “I think this conversation would have to wait.”

“I think your desires are the ones that have to wait.” Kevin shrugged, immediately pushing himself down and then closing his eyes. “Do not make me angry by teasing. I will throw you out of the room.”

“Baby!” Kibum sulked, but stood up to switch off the light so they could sleep in darkness.

“And I’ll forbid you to call me that.” Kevin silently giggled at the expression Kibum was probably wearing.

-