Parenting for Dummies - Chapter 11

Parenting for Dummies

“Hey, baby.” Kibum greeted happily as he entered his house, placing his shoes neatly on the shoe rack. “What’s for dinner?”

“Mm, usual? Added your favourite dish in the menu though.” Kevin replied from the kitchen, and Kibum heard the sound of things being fried on the fry pan.

“What’s Xander doing?” Kibum asked as he stopped by the kitchen, giving Kevin a light peck on his cheek. “Sleeping?”

“Should be.” Kevin smiled. “Go take a bath, dinner will be ready in two.”

“Wow, must take a quick one then.” Kibum chuckled, walking away to find his son.

He was greeted by a peaceful-looking Alexander in his crib, paper snowflakes hung on a coat hanger (courtesy of Kevin, because he couldn’t find the one he want in department stores) on top of his baby bed. He walked in and almost tripped over a Barbie doll. Placing it neatly beside all the other dolls, he then tiptoed closer towards the crib, smiling himself silly at his perfect child.

“Honey, time to go take a quick shower. Dinner’s all ready.” Kevin whispered, but stood next to Kibum as they both admired their masterpiece.

Kevin hoisted Alexander up and held him in his embrace, signalling for Kibum to really get moving. Alexander stirred awake from the movement, briefly looking up at whoever carried him and then smiling while leaning against Kevin. Kibum nodded and walked towards the master bedroom, with Kevin following behind just so he can pick the dirty clothes to drop into the laundry basket.

Kibum placed his briefcase on his working table, and blinked when he saw something wrong. “Kevin...?”

“Yes, honey?” Kevin replied sweetly, one hand helping Kibum get his coat off him, the other still holding Alexander.

“Why is my paper all torn up? What did you do?” Kibum frowned, turning towards Kevin.

“It isn’t me!” Kevin protested, all defensive.

“Then who is it?” Kibum stared back at the mess his paperwork had become.

“Xander!” Alexander immediately looked up with big eyes, hearing his name.

“Why would it be him? He’s hardly two months old!” Kibum’s mouth dropped as he looked at Kevin incredulously.

“Then why would it be me?!” Kevin argued back with a scowl.

Kibum blinked. “Because...it’s an accident?”

With a pout, Kevin rolled his eyes. “Fine, it’s all my fault! All my fault! It’s always-”

“Okay, it’s my fault, I left the document there to be torn up!” Kibum sarcastically cut in.

“EXACTLY!” Kibum almost wanted to facepalm himself. “Xander doesn’t know what’s to be shredded and what’s to be kept safe!”

“Then that’s your fault, you didn’t teach Xander properly!” Kibum blamed. “Now what do I do with this mess?!”

Kevin placed Alexander on their bed and stood akimbo. “As if it’s only MY job to teach him?”

“I have to work!” Kibum rebutted in a justified tone.

Alexander stared as Kevin and Kibum argued, not understanding what was happening.

When was he going to get dinner? He was a bit hungry...

“I can work! You don’t let me!” Kevin snapped.

“Oh right, so now it’s my fault!”

“FINE! It’s MY fault and I’m going to- going to-”

“You’re gonna what? Complain to your mother? Run away from home? File a divorce or something?!” Kibum yelled back.

“I’m going to CRY!” Kevin kicked the bed and turned to sit on it, wailing loudly like a little child. Alexander’s eyes widened at his mother’s behaviour, crying along with his mother.

Kibum sighed, maybe he crossed the line. Looking at his paperwork, he’ll just have to redo them all. There was no point in spoiling his relationship with his wife because that’s irreparable once damaged, unlike his ruined reports.

He hugged Alexander and tried to pacify him for a while, before placing him on the bed again and then pulling Kevin into his arms. Kevin struggled and tried to get away, but Kibum kept his firm grip around Kevin.

“GO AWAY!” Kevin screamed, arms only able to hit Kibum’s chest. “I’m going to kick you!”

“Baby, I’m sorry.” Kibum replied calmly, deep voice having a slightly soothing effect. “I wouldn’t do that again. You know I love you no matter what, and that blaming thing was just because I spent countless nights finishing it up. Forgive me, baby. Really, I’m sorry.”

He released his grip slightly, leaning back to look into Kevin’s brown eyes. The younger one was slightly frowning, hands moving up to his face to wipe away the tears.

“It’s not like I’m faultless too. I was cleaning Xander’s room so I thought he better be out of the way, and he looked very interested in your work. I then thought, why not place him at your working table if he likes it there. When I came back to put him back into his room, he covered the mess with your files so I didn’t know.” Kevin mumbled between sobs. “I’m sorry too.”

Kibum smiled softly. “Sounds like a family apologising session. Let’s get Alexander to say sorry too.”

Alexander looked back quizzically.

Kevin laughed, carrying Alexander and putting him between the couple. “Adorable Alexander is adorable. We’ll teach him next time, go take a super quick shower and we’ll eat dinner.”

-

Dinner was filled with little actions to make the other feel more appreciated. Kibum wanted the issue to quickly disappear from their minds, while Kevin wanted Alexander to forget that his parents actually quarrelled.

Nope, not a good memory for a growing baby.

Kibum picked out a drumstick for Kevin, feeding him a piece of meat and helped him wipe his mouth when it was stained with sauce. Kevin grinned back, occasionally placing Alexander on Kibum’s lap and letting the father feed him baby formula, while he blew slightly at the spoon of hot soup before holding it before Kibum’s mouth.

The meal ended up taking an hour and a half to finish, the simple affair made complicated by people not eating themselves but feeding others and waiting to be fed. It was blissful, though, Kibum sneakily stealing a kiss from Kevin while the younger man fed Xander. Kevin would blink, unsure of how to react to such a sudden movement, before bursting out into small fits of giggles, lips curving up into a smile. Alexander would look up inquisitively, only to be answered wordlessly with a shake of Kevin’s head.

Alexander shrugged. At least Kevin was no longer crying, now smiling a little too brightly, but that didn’t matter. Kibum was grinning from ear to ear at him too, he didn’t know why, but that didn’t matter either. Those smiles meant a good sign.

He wouldn’t question why the sudden boost of happiness, only drowning himself in the atmosphere.

Besides, he doesn’t know how to ask a question.

-

I'm going away for a trip to Korea tomorrow, so this story wouldn't be updated between 10th June to 17th June! Sorry! <3
It would be a really pleasant surprise if you guys could suscribe a lot and comment a lot when I'm gone ^^
Once again, thank you very much! <3