Parenting for Dummies - Chapter 6

Parenting for Dummies

Kevin woke up and found Kibum’s head next to his forearm. He felt torn apart, especially on the lower part of his body. But the load in his stomach was gone, and he felt a lot lighter. Kibum probably finally is able to rest with a peace of mind, now that mother and son are both safe and sleeping (though Kevin woke up).

Not moving, Kevin tried to remember the whole process that happened so quickly.

He briefly remembered they were in the check up room to basically see his percentage effacement, hearing that it’s 100 percent effaced. A pop, and then Kevin suddenly felt wet.

The doctor shouted for nurses and to push Kevin into the labour room, leaving Kibum perplexed and at a loss as to what to do. The doctor held Kibum’s hand and linked it with Kevin’s hand, giving Kibum a small shove to run with the hospital bed.

He then ended up in terrible pain for years, or at least they felt like years. Turning to find a clock, he saw one that read 7p.m. It was dinner time already, yet when they reached the hospital, it was only 11a.m. Kevin still remember the sore feeling of the contractions in his stomach. There was also the burning sensation he felt as his baby forced his way out of him. He briefly heard a praise as he fell into unconsciousness, after passing the newborn back to Kibum, saying something along the lines that he had done well.

The baby.

His baby.

Kevin sat up with a jerk, immediately regretting it when he still felt sore all over. He took a look at his now flat stomach, noticing the ugly stretch marks on him.

“Oh no, it looks scary.” Kevin pouted as he rubbed his belly, hoping it would somehow disappear.

Kibum raised his head and squinted, allowing his eyes some time to get used to the ceiling lights. “Hey baby, how are you feeling?”

“I’m okay, but I look horrible.” Kevin covered his stomach the moment Kibum woke up, sighing.

“Nonsense, baby you look beautiful.” Kibum smiled, ruffling Kevin’s hair.

“I have stretch marks, they’re red and repulsive.” Kevin made a face, turning his pout into a sulk.

“That makes you look even more like an angel.” Kibum kissed Kevin’s forehead gently. “Baby, you just let our baby finally breathe in air. You do know that there’s nothing more angellic than a mother, don’t you? Carrying a baby for thirty nine weeks and four days, going through over seven hours of pain thanks to child labour, baby there’s no one more beautiful than you. Except other mothers, but well, you look the best to me.”

Kevin pulled Kibum closer and hugged him. “You’re the best with words.”

“No, I think I’m the best with you.” Kibum grinned, circling his arms around Kevin’s waist.

“Mm, it’s been so long since I’m so close to you. Alexander was constantly between us.” Kevin hummed as he rested his head on Kibum’s shoulder. “Oh! Talking about Alexander, I want to go see him, honey.”

“All right, let me put you on a wheelchair though.” Kibum pecked Kevin’s lips softly before he went to get a wheelchair for Kevin.

-

Kibum wheeled Kevin into the baby nursery of the hospital. Kevin scratched his head as he tried to spot Alexander from the many babies. They finally gave up and asked a nurse passing by.

“Recent births are on the side, the second one in the column is yours.” The nurse smiled and bowed as she walked away.

Kevin looked excitedly at the baby, frowning a little. “Why is his limbs purplish? You think he’s sick? My poor baby!”

Kibum bit his lip and told Kevin to wait for him as he went to find their doctor. Kibum then returned in a minute to Kevin’s side, with the doctor following behind.

“That’s perfectly normal, Mrs Kim. I was just telling your husband that the baby’s body system is supplying heat to more important parts like his heart, brain and lungs.” The doctor explained, assuring Kevin that the newborn was going to turn out fine. “He’s very healthy, in fact. Your condition is pretty good too, so the both of you may be discharged two to three days later.”

Kevin clapped his hands instinctively in joy. “Thank you so much, doctor! You were such a great help through my whole pregnancy period, thank you!”

The doctor smiled back with a slight shake of his head. “It’s my job. Take care of your body well, your immune system may be a little weaker these days.”

Kibum thanked the doctor as well, and gained a pat on his back.

“Take note, please refrain from having ual until Mrs Kim finishes his six-week postpartum check up.” The doctor informed, causing the couple to blush into a furious shade of red. “ might hurt even after the six weeks, but that’s quite normal, so don’t worry about it then.”

Their doctor then walked away, stating that there was an appointment with another pregnant mother.

Kevin instantly changed the subject, before Kibum had a chance to say anything. “We’ll register Alexander’s birth right after our discharge, okay? Pretty little darling has his birthday on 29th of July.”

“Mm, I’ll get my general manager to look after my company while I stay with you for a month or so.” Kibum nodded.

“No, don’t do that! You just started your company, it’s not good to take such a long leave! I will be fine.” Kevin shook his head with a smile. “Really.”

“Nah, I’ll miss you so much. Also, I don’t want to go to work thinking that you’re struggling to even stand up.” Kibum’s voice was firm, and Kevin sighed in defeat.

“Okay, honey. Thank you.”

Kibum squatted down to Kevin’s current height on the wheelchair, leaning in to press his lips against the younger’s. Kibum slid his tongue across Kevin’s lower lip and Kevin parted his lips for Kibum’s tongue to roam within his mouth. They kissed sweetly, breaking off without their breathing rate getting altered at all.

“Don’t thank me, thank you for everything. Alexander’s the best birthday present you have given me.”

-

Kevin felt a lot better after resting and eating homemade food brought by his own mother, who wanted to do something for her son. Kevin tried to make his mother feel better, but she was still sobbing as she heard his side of the story.

“Kibum-hyung’s mother took awesome care of me, look, I’m all fine! Really, don’t blame yourself! I know you’re busy, Deanna-noona is going through some emotional turmoil anyway, she needs all the care she can get. Is noona better? Call her here, she’ll cheer up seeing our beautiful baby! He’s spectacular, really! I saw two babies looking at him curiously, I think they’re interested in him!”

Kevin’s mother finally chuckled, pinching Kevin’s cheeks. “You got meatier, that’s nice. Not as skinny as you were before.”

Kevin’s hands immediately went up to his face, acting like he was conscious of his weight. “Oh no, have to start dieting~!”

His mother laughed, shaking her head. “You look better like that. Thin and lanky makes you look so unhealthy.”

After talking about everything that had happened when Kevin’s mother couldn’t be there, she finally had to leave to cook dinner for the rest of the Woo family. Kibum took over her shift of caring for and entertaining Kevin, helping Kevin onto the wheelchair and going to look at their baby again.

“You know, the more I see, the more I feel that Alexander doesn’t look like either of us. His eyes are so big.” Kibum noted.

Kevin gritted his teeth and bit Kibum’s hand. “What are you implying!?”

“No! I know he’s mine!” Kibum quickly hugged Kevin, explaining himself. “Just that our eyes aren’t that big. Maybe it’s a skip-a-generation trait. He looks cute with big eyes.”

“You better think so.” Kevin huffed, displeased with Kibum.

“Surely I know, Kevin, don’t be mad? I’m sorry!” Kibum apologised with his adorable sad face.

“Apology on hold. Will conclude whether to forgive you in time to come.”

Kibum groaned.

-