Parenting for Dummies - Chapter 21

Parenting for Dummies

Kevin called Kibum the moment he gave Soohyun to the doctors.

“Baby, I can't talk. This meeting means-”

“Soohyun. He- He drowned.” Kevin started breaking down. His knees gave way and he let the phone drop out of his hands, hearing Kibum shout his name as he cried.

Alexander bit his lower lip and took the phone for his mother.

“Daddy.” Alexander thought he heard Kibum yell “son”, “drowned” and maybe an “I'm out of here. My son means more than what you can offer.”.

“Thank God, Xander. Get your mom on the phone.”

Alexander eyed Kevin, who didn’t seem to be able to continue a coherent conversation with Kibum. “He's crying.”

“Okay, then answer me. How is Soohyun? Where are you all?”

“We don't know, we're in hospital.” Alexander said. He swears he's getting afraid of coming to hospitals. Kevin would have reprimanded him for swearing, but Kevin wasn't in the mood, neither did he swear out loud.

“Which one?”

“The nearest one to our house.”

“Okay, I'll be there in a minute. Comfort your mother for me during this time, okay?” Kibum said and Alexander heard the starting of the car engine.

“What's comfort?”

A lot of car horns.

“Tell him everything will be all right.” Kibum finally replied.

“How do you know?” Alexander looked at Kevin, whose shoulders were shaking uncontrollably.

“Xander, I don't, but your mother needs those words right now. Would you say it?”

“I will.” Alexander nodded, despite Kibum not being able to see. “Bye, daddy.”

“Bye.”

“Mommy, everything will be all right.” Alexander repeated, hugging Kevin's head.

“Oh, Xander.” Kevin brought Alexander into his arms. “I can't lose Soohyun, I really can't.”

“Neither can I. Don't cry, everything will be all right.” Alexander said, tightly clutching around Kevin.

Kevin looked into Alexander's eyes for a moment. “You think so?”

Alexander nodded, and was pulled back into a hug, repeating like a broken record. “Everything will be all right, everything will be all right...”

-

Neither Alexander nor Kevin knew Kibum arrived. Alexander was still chanting the words Kibum told him.

“Baby...” Kibum spoke as he knelt beside the duo.

Kevin immediately let go of Alexander and jumped into Kibum's arms. Kibum stood up (thus Kevin did as well) and brought Kevin close, one hand reaching down to ruffle Alexander’s head and give him a thumbs up. Kevin wetted Kibum's office clothes within half a second. 

“I'm a horrible mother, a horrible mother!” Kevin said against Kibum's chest. The latter could only whisper “you're not” to Kevin, fully aware that he wouldn't listen. Alexander stared sadly at them, watching Kevin condemn himself.

“Which one of you is the father of Kim Soohyun?” A doctor approached them.

“We're his parents.” Kibum ignored the surprised look. Nothing mattered more than Soohyun currently. “How is he?”

“You shouldn't have left him alone. A baby that young would be curious to try everything not knowing the risk. You two should have known better.” The doctor shot them both disapproving looks, and Kevin immediately started crying again. He leaned against Kibum’s shoulder while the doctor sighed, turning to Kibum to explain the situation. “But he's all right. He was given proper CPR and was breathing when he was admitted in, we were just trying to make sure every bit of water is out of his respiratory system and him conscious. There will undoubtly be traumas for him though, to experience near-death situation at his age. He can leave the hospital today, but you might want to sign him up for a child psychologist.”

Kibum thanked the doctor after he informed them of the ward number Soohyun is in. He then put an arm around Kevin’s body, carrying Alexander with the other, bringing them both to Soohyun's ward.

-

Soohyun was conscious, awake and happy to see them. Kevin stood at the side of the room, which confused Kibum. If Kevin was his normal self, he would have ran and kissed Soohyun senseless in his arms already. Alexander didn’t seem to notice, tugging Kibum's shirt and pointing towards Soohyun's bed. Kibum acceded Alexander's unspoken request and put him on the bed.

“Don't do that again.” Alexander immediately said, as soon as his feet reached the bed.

Soohyun shook his head firmly. “I don't again.”

Alexander pulled Soohyun into a hug and kissed his cheeks. He whispered into the younger’s ears. “Mommy cried. Don't make him cry again.”

Soohyun turned to Kevin expectantly, maybe some hugs or kisses, but the latter didn't even take a step forward. Kevin only managed a weak smile.

Alexander stole Soohyun's attention the next second, not giving him a chance to think twice about his mother's reaction. “Come on, let's sleep. You need it.”

Alexander then pushed Soohyun down and hugged the younger one like a bolster.

“Okay.” Soohyun smiled, cuddling close to his older brother.

Kevin walked out of the door.

Kibum didn't know what to do.

-

Thank you to my lovely 54 subscribers and 13 commenters <3! I really do appreciate every single one of you and everytime either of this number changes, I'll squeal and tell my friends I got another subscriber or another comment, so really, it makes me very happy and thank you! <3