Parenting for Dummies - Chapter 5

Parenting for Dummies

Three months later, Kibum looked extremely worn out, as if he aged twenty years since he married Kevin. Dealing with mood swings definitely took a toll on him, and he was glad it was all gone by the third month of Kevin’s pregnancy. Then, Kevin started craving for different kinds of food. As a dutiful husband and father, Kibum frequently drove around Seoul to find Kevin a midnight snack, only to be back to find Kevin in deep slumber. Not wanting to wake a tired Kevin, he just goes back into bed and get the insufficient sleep he needs for the next day at work.

Kevin on the other hand, looked like the perfect blissful wife and mother. He felt guilty for making Kibum do so many things, trying his best to will away all those desires for food in the weirdest hours, but he would suddenly have a grumbling stomach that wants nothing else but that certain thing. Kibum often called his mother over to take care of Kevin when he had to go to work, who did so with the best care and a warm smile constantly on her face. She was over the moon when she heard Kevin could be pregnant, all geared up to be a grandmother. Kevin would thus be sleeping half the day away, waking up to a spread of food and bathing in a flower bath daily. It was thus no surprise that he looks younger than he was five months ago.

Knowing that they could check the gender of the baby in the fifth month of pregnancy, Kevin asked if Kibum could be with him when they went to the hospital. Kibum nodded with a yawn, making a call to his company’s boss.

Kevin bit his lower lip guiltily.

“Yeah baby, it’s done. All’s well.” Kibum smiled, hugging Kevin’s waist and bringing him to bed. “Let’s sleep.”

“Kibum-hyung...” Kevin started out hesitantly.

“Hm?” Kibum asked as he pulled the covers over Kevin, lightly patting Kevin’s stomach as he did.

“I’m sorry...” Kevin started shaking uncontrollably, tears falling within five seconds. “You’re so tired and you have dark eye circles! It’s so heartbreaking to see you like this and worse to know I did this to you!”

“Baby, don’t cry.” Kibum soothed, kissing Kevin’s tears away. “I’m all right. It’s my boss, he’s giving me tons of work to do. It isn’t you, baby. Don’t cry, our baby would be scared. Now, we wouldn’t want to scare our baby, right? Go to sleep so that our baby can rest too, don’t think too much.”

Kevin took in air sharply, slowly calming down. “It’s my fault, I know. Honey, don’t lie to me. But okay, I’ll sleep now so you can get some rest too. Nights, sleep well. We can wake up later tomorrow, okay?”

Kibum smiled with a small nod, pecking Kevin’s forehead and pulling him close. “Goodnight.”

-

Sunlight poured in from the couple’s window, and the air was cold since it was winter time. The cold would be over soon though, since spring was arriving. Kevin stirred awake and rubbed his eyes open, before looking to his side at Kibum.

Smiling, he tucked a stray strand of hair behind Kibum’s ear, chuckling when he looked so beautiful. Suddenly, he groaned, waking Kibum up in a second.

“Baby, are you all right?” Kibum quickly rested his weight on one arm, facing Kevin and making sure he was fine.

“I think our baby just kicked me.” Kevin giggled.

“Is it pain?” Kibum frowned. “Should I scold...erm...him? her?”

“No! Don’t scold our baby! I think it’s a boy. He seems active.” Kevin grinned and immediately wince a little, feeling the kick again. It was quite pain, but he wasn’t about to inform Kibum that.

“Whatever you say, baby.” Kibum reached out to put his hand on Kevin’s belly, waiting for the baby to kick again. “Woo, I feel him. Or her. Wow, how pain is it really?”

“Not very.” Kevin lied with a pretty smile, rubbing his belly lovingly. “It’s so cute to feel this thing. I wonder how our mothers felt when they had us. Did we kick them like that too?”

“Probably. I probably made my mother cry while your mother must have been glad you’re so gentle with your kicks.” Kibum laughed. “Let’s go wash up, baby.”

“Mmm.” Kevin waited for Kibum to help him up, as they walked to the bathroom together.

-

“Is it a girl?” Kevin asked expectantly.

The doctor shook his head.

Kevin sighed with a sulky face, his want for a baby girl was obvious. “Is it even possible for me to have a girl?”

The doctor nodded his head.

Kevin immediately shook Kibum vigorously. “Did you hear? We can have a girl!”

“But the chances are very slim since both of you carry the XY chromosome.” The doctor bit his lower lip, hoping that he didn’t crush Kevin’s hopes.

“Oh. Yeah.” Kevin smiled in understanding while Kibum looked horribly confused. “Nevermind, at least there’s a chance! Oh, what if the baby ends up with YY chromosome? What will happen?”

“No baby can live with a double Y chromosome. Missing X chromosome is lethal to the cell. A XXY or XYY combination might be possible though.” The doctor informed.

Kevin heaved a sigh of relief. “At least we won’t produce aliens.”

Kibum caught on after the scientific talk, laughing. “But our aliens would look magnificent.”

“I know right.” Kevin grinned.

The doctor chose not to bother himself with understanding the couple’s mentality.

-

“So, honey, what do you think we should name our baby boy?” Kevin asked as he walked with Kibum towards their car.

“Hmm, I don’t know.” Kibum pondered for a while. “Why don’t you come up with ideas and I choose?”

“We give him an English name all right? Like a fusion. Then for our second baby, we can do away with the English name. Like we alternate or something.” Kevin suggested.

Kibum couldn’t keep his wide smile to himself. “So we ARE getting a second baby?”

Kevin’s face turned glowing red in a few seconds, hitting Kibum’s shoulder. “We’ll see how you perform.”

“On bed?” Kibum smirked, teasing Kevin continuously.

“I say we name our baby Alexander.” Kevin immediately changed the topic. “I think Alexander sounds nice.”

Kibum turned pale. “My tongue is twisted.”

Kevin laughed in a high-pitched tone, clinging to Kibum’s arm with a big smile. “In Korean words, his name probably sounds like...Eh-lehk-saen-deo.”

“Heh? That sounds weird. Al-laek-san-deo sounds nicer.” Kibum pointed out.

“But that’s so far from the right pronunciation! I don’t care, you are going to call our baby boy in the right pronunciation. Eh-lehk-xann-der. Don’t miss the ‘r’ sound!” Kevin said strictly. “Or say bye bye to the thought of having a second baby.”

Kibum sulked. “Eh-lehk-sann-de.”

“R! R sound! And X. Less of the hissing sound!” Kevin corrected.

Practising the name they (sort of) decided for their baby boy, Kibum didn’t even notice that Kevin was the one driving, driving with a five month old baby in him, driving to a shopping mall to shop for baby clothes and toys.