Parenting for Dummies - Chapter 4

Parenting for Dummies

“I hate you so freaking much! Get out of my sight!” Kevin screamed the moment Kibum walked into his house. Kibum wondered if he should answer or not, deciding to quietly lock the door behind him.

“I said get out of my sight!” Kevin yelled, tears rolling down his cheeks the next second.

Kibum’s eyes widened, quickly running towards Kevin and embracing the younger man. “Relax, relax. Breathe-”

“Don’t touch me!” Kevin struggled violently and bit Kibum’s arm with all the force he had, only stopping when he didn’t hear a reaction at all. He calmed down the next second and frowned as he looked into Kibum’s eyes, asking gently. “Doesn’t it hurt?”

“My heart hurts worse when I see you cry.” Kibum smiled and shook his head, wiping Kevin’s tears away. “Why- Ah, nevermind.”

“If your heart hurts then why did you lock me in the house!? Don’t you love me anymore? I’m bored to tears! I want to go out! I want to breathe fresh air!” Kevin yelled, pouting the next second while looking apologetically at Kibum. “I didn’t mean to scream at you...I-I just want to go out...”

“Okay, we’ll go out now. I’ll get changed into something more comfortable, all right?” Kibum asked with a soft smile, ruffling Kevin’s hair.

“NO! I WANT TO GO OUT NOW.” Kevin glared angrily at the older man. “You don’t want to bring me out at all! You’re just going to shower, change into pyjamas and go straight to bed! I hate you! I hate you!”

“No! Okay, I’ll go out in this suit, we’ll leave this moment.” Kibum said and took Kevin’s hands in his. “Okay?”

“Okay!” Kevin nodded and jumped on the older man’s back. “Carry me~!”

“Sure.” Kibum smiled, slightly relieved even if it’s only for a while.

-

“Am I heavy?” Kevin pouted as he looked into his hand-held mirror in the comfort of Kibum’s car.

“No, not at all.” Kibum shook his head and looked around, wondering which side to turn to.

“I’ve grown fatter though.” The younger male clicked his tongue, producing a “tsk” sound while pinching his own cheeks.

“Not fatter, just chubbier.” Kibum corrected gently, one hand reaching over to hold Kevin’s hand. “So, how was your day?”

“It was fine...Honey, have I grown uglier?” Kevin asked worriedly, hand squeezing Kibum’s to show his anxiousness.

“Obviously not. You’re beautiful, and there’s no way the word “ugly” would fit you.” Kibum shook his head firmly with a frown. “Don’t ever say that of yourself, okay?”

“Oh gosh!” Kevin sniffed. “Why are you so sweet! You’re so perfect and great and awesome and wonderful and loving and everything! I don’t deserve you!”

“Baby, don’t cry!” Kibum got slightly flustered at Kevin suddenly tearing up. “You’re the one that’s so great I feel guilty for having you as my wife.”

“Oh, honey! You’re the best husband anyone could get!” Kevin cried harder, leaning on Kibum’s shoulder and clutching his arm tightly. “I love you so much!”

“I love you too!” Kibum instantly replied, although struggling to keep the car moving properly with Kevin’s death grip on his arm. The male was usually skinny and lanky, who knew mood swings could give him so much strength? “Kev? I can’t drive properly...”

“Oh! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean it! You know I didn’t mean it, don’t you?” Kevin gasped as he quickly let go, wiping the tears that kept rolling down his cheeks. “I really really really didn’t mean it! I just want to tell you how fortunate I am!”


“Baby, calm down! I know it! Really.” Kibum lowered his voice and volume, turning to Kevin when the traffic lights turned red. He pulled Kevin closer by holding the other’s nape towards him, kissing Kevin to prove his point. “I love you too, baby.”

Kevin’s hands found their way on each side of Kibum’s face, giving him a light peck on the lips before blushing. “You’re just too sweet.”

Kibum gave Kevin a smile and saw the traffic lights turn green at the corner of his eyes. He then turned his head back onto the road and drove to his destination.

-

“Is there anything that catches your eye?” Kibum asked as he walked with Kevin around the shopping mall, a hand around Kevin’s waist. “Anything at all?”

“Oh! Let’s get in here and get you some nice clothes!” Kevin’s face immediately brightened as he saw a shop, and he almost ran into it if not for Kibum’s restricting grip.

“Slow, baby, our baby might be frightened by the sudden run.” Kibum smiled and continued with their previous pace towards the shop Kevin saw.

“Hello! Could I do anything for you?” The sales assistant brightly smiled, and Kevin smiled happily back.

“Yes! I want to see the latest!” Kevin nodded and followed the sales assistant when she gestured towards the place where all the latest clothings were placed.

Kibum watched as Kevin held up different clothes before him to see if it matches him. He smiled at Kevin, who gave him a pretty smile back, and released an inaudible sigh of relief when Kevin didn’t choose anything. Money doesn’t drop from the sky in Kibum’s case, though he wouldn’t want to disappoint Kevin (especially with his horrifying mood swings).

Kevin moved on to another shop, and a male sales assistant unwillingly walked towards the couple.

“Anything you want?” He asked monotonously, not even wearing a smile.

Kevin was immediately offended, sending the other male a death glare. “If you have a problem with greeting me then don’t greet me at all! Why come up to me and give me such a face? Where’s your manager? I want to speak to your manager! How rude! How could you! I’m a custom-”

“Kev, it’s okay.” Kibum’s both hands were placed on the younger’s shoulder, before he turned Kevin to face him fully. “It’s okay. We can just go to another shop, okay?”

“NO! How could he be so rude? How?” Kevin growled at the sales assistant who was visibly frightened.

“I’m sorry! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean it, I was just-” He quickly apologised, bowing repeatedly. “How-how may I help you?”

“You can’t help me at all!” Kevin rolled his eyes before stomping out of the shop.

“I’m very, very sorry. He has very serious mood swings.” Kibum apologised before running off to chase his wife.

“Kev-”

“Kibummie-hyung!” Kevin called out with tearful eyes. As soon as Kibum hugged him, he started wailing even, causing everyone to turn towards them.

“What’s wrong, baby?” Kibum whispered, rubbing the younger’s back.

Kevin sobbed as he slowly pulled away, pointing at a claw crane arcade game.

Kibum blinked and wondered how to understand the situation. “Uh, you wanna play it?”

“Look at the bear!” Kevin sobbed.

Everyone started reaching for their wallets to fish out some coins.

“Here, I have some spare coins.”

“Give him these.”

“I don’t have a lot but hopefully this will help.”

“Please make him stop crying, he’s so beautiful, he doesn’t deserve to cry.”

Kibum thanked everyone but shook his head. “It’s okay, really, it is.”

Kevin sniffed, face looking miserable. “My baby would want this so badly, it’s so adorable!”

Kibum sighed and put an arm around Kevin, guiding him away from the claw crane. “We’ll get it some other day, okay? I think we should go home now.”

“No!” Kevin shook his head furiously. “No! Now! We get it now!”

A random stranger appeared and inserted a coin before playing the game. In just one try, he caught the bear Kevin was pointing at and gave it to him. “Here you go, don’t cry anymore.”

Kevin happily grinned at the stranger, thanking him profusely along with Kibum. The rest of the crowd gave him a standing (because they were technically standing) ovation, before they dispersed to return back to whatever they were doing (window shopping, laughing at how stupid that lead actress was in the newest movie, cursing whichever idiot that banged into them without apologising).

“Okay, baby. Can we go home now?” Kibum silently thanked the stranger again, since he wasn’t good at claw crane games.

With the brightest smile Kibum ever saw, Kevin bounced energetically towards the carpark’s direction.

“Yes!”

-