Parenting for Dummies - Chapter 13

Parenting for Dummies
Kevin and Alexander were crying. For what, Alexander didn’t know. He just started crying when he saw his mother cried. The only things Alexander’s young brain could remember was :

Daddy looked like Barbie doll. Mommy was bring his arm up over his neck, trying to stand up. Apparently, daddy was a heavy Barbie doll, but nevertheless being controlled by mommy. Mommy put Alexander into a baby stroller while daddy was being balanced. Mommy then pushed the baby stroller out and locked the door, dragging daddy and pushing Alexander until he reached the car. Mommy then put a seat belt hurriedly over daddy, put Alexander into the car, kept the stroller and drove off to the hospital.

At the hospital, mommy passed daddy to people in white and rambled on and on about everything that happened, and one white lady told him to “calm down”. Alexander was in mommy’s arm during the whole process, and Alexander recognised those two word. It is used whenever he cried, so he assumed mommy was crying. When mommy is crying, he wants to cry too, because mommy was like the bigger version of him.

“How is he, doctor?” Kevin quickly stood up, suddenly feeling a sharp pain and almost dropping Alexander in the process.

“How are you related to the patient?” The doctor asked, acting according to the procedures.

“I’m his wife.” Kevin replied, impatient for the answer he wants to hear.

“He is fine, just worn out.” The doctor nodded. “Get him to rest and stop overworking himself. He can leave in two days. You can now visit him in his ward.”

Kevin thanked and hugged Alexander tightly, saying many things that Alexander couldn’t understand. Alexander only knew Kevin let out a sharp yelp.

“Ah, my stomach hurts.” Kevin winced, before letting out a forced smile. “Your brother’s kicking me.”

-

“I heard about Kibummie.” A man said as he walked into the ward, carrying a fruit basket. Kevin thanked him and settled it on the side.

“The doctor says he is worn out, but I don’t get it, he doesn’t do much at home...” Kevin frowned worriedly.

The man hesitated replying Kevin, before sighing. “He comes out at night to meet me and discuss about problems with the company.”

“There’s problems with the company?!” Kevin shrieked, before realising he was in the hospital and should tone down. “But...I didn’t know, he...he goes to bed? Huh?”

“He didn’t want you to worry. Argh, I shouldn’t have told you. He said you are pregnant so you shouldn’t be worrying in case it worries the baby too. He comes out after you sleep. We are currently lacking funds so I’ve been sourcing help. I have a few on hand, but he wants to make sure those aren’t risky choices.” The man explained, giving Kevin a pat on the back. “Don’t worry, things are getting settled down already. We are in the midst of negotiating the contract.”

“If you say so.” Kevin nodded. “Stupid hyung, keeping everything to himself.”

“He might kill me if he knows I told you this.” The man laughed. “I can’t stay for long, but send him my well wishes.”

“Will do.” Kevin gave a weak smile and walked the man out of the ward. He walked towards Alexander who was staring at Kibum. “Darling, what’s wrong? You aren’t smiling at all.”

“You doo.” Alexander said in his baby voice.

“You’re worried about daddy too? Aw, darling, don’t worry. I’m sure things will be fine. Daddy’s resting well.” Kevin hugged Alexander tightly.

Alexander continued looking at Kibum, eyes not tearing away from the scene even for a second. He misses daddy already, wanting daddy to wake up and try to get him to obey daddy. Daddy playing with him, using a really weird deep voice to mimick Ken so Barbie has a boyfriend. Daddy covering his eyes when Alexander changes Barbie’s clothes. He promises never to tease daddy anymore. Maybe that’s why daddy’s angry so he lies in bed and not play with him. Alexander started tearing up, and Kevin got all anxious.

“Baby, don’t cry! Why are you crying, Xander? Things will be fine, darling. Trust mommy, okay?” Kevin took out a tissue and wiped his big round eyes, giving him a light kiss on the forehead. “Play with Barbie all right? Don’t run anywhere, stay beside daddy. Mommy needs to go toilet.”

Alexander nodded, and turned to play with his dolls. He didn’t miss Kevin clutching his belly tightly, though.

-

Alexander ended up playing with himself for five hours. He started feeling really hungry, but tried to will away the feeling, more worried about what happened to Kevin. He was crawling around and a nurse entered, ready to check Kibum’s condition when she saw him on the floor.

“Why are you on the floor, pretty little child? Where’s your mommy?” The nurse asked with a kind smile, but Alexander only blinked back. “I’ll put you on the couch then.”

Kevin couldn’t have gone to the toilet for five hours, could he?

“You’re here.” Alexander heard a voice, before he got carried away. He remembered Kevin’s words.

“Play with Barbie all right? Don’t run anywhere, stay beside daddy. Mommy needs to go toilet.”

He wailed and struggled in the grasp on the man, reaching out for Kibum and hoping he would wake up. Kibum couldn’t hear a thing though, and Alexander cried harder.

“MOMMY! DADDY!” Alexander screamed, hoping someone would stop the man and help Alexander. Everyone only looked at him with a small smile, and that made him even more angry. “AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

“Relax, little one. I mean no harm.” Alexander kicked his legs in air, hoping to hit the man whose face he couldn’t see as his back was facing the man. Mommy told him people who say that are even more evil. His efforts to get away were futile as the man continued to move with ease.

“Sit here.” The man said as he put Alexander down on the nearest couch. Alexander saw his chance to run away, but he hasn’t even learned how to walk. He decided to crawl down the couch and away in his fastest speed, telling himself that his life depended on this.

With a sigh, he heard footsteps behind him, and in a second, hands were around his body and carrying him off the floor. “You don’t listen, do you?”

The man walked on and opened a door, before walking in and leaving Alexander on yet another couch.

-

Oh no! What happened to baby Xander?~