Parenting for Dummies - Chapter 22

Parenting for Dummies

He eventually left the ward, making sure the brothers were asleep before he did.

Kibum sighed as he looked around as he walked, not knowing where to find Kevin. The hospital was big, and how could he ask the nurses where Kevin was when he wasn’t even a patient? He continued looking around and turning left and right, before he finally saw an exit to the hospital's garden and decided to try his luck there.

Lady luck was on his side. Either that or he deserves the pity. He saw Kevin kicking a pebble as the younger one moved forward, pouting sadly.

Kibum ran forward and noticed tear trails running across Kevin's paler than pale cheeks, droplets of tears gathering before dripping down his chin, falling onto the floor.

“Baby...” Kibum put a hand on Kevin's shoulder, who shook it away and took a step away from him. He sighed and tried again. “Kev.”

“Don't try to say anything to change my mind. I am a horrible mother, we both know it.” Kevin turned around, looking into Kibum's eyes with red swollen eyes. Kibum’s heart broke at the sight, Kevin definitely didn’t do anything to purposely hurt Soohyun, and he doesn’t deserve the torturing of himself with negative thoughts.

“I don't.”

“I said shut up.” Kevin snapped, taking in a shaky breath.

“I don't know what happened, so I wouldn't let you say you're a horrible mother. Let me judge for myself. Tell me what happened?” Kibum asked gently and patted his shoulders. “I'm here for you to cry on.”

Kevin started blabbering about whatever that happened, not missing a single detail. He even included Alexander’s question on where he and Soohyun came from, and his exasperation on not being able to explain well. Kibum kept in his chuckle, knowing Kevin wouldn’t want to hear it in such a situation. Kevin then talked about how the whole journey to the hospital was so painfully long and how there was a stupid blue car that blocked their way for ten seconds, and how they should buy a house next to the hospital soon just so these things don’t happen again. Fresh tears were rolling down Kevin's face once he finally finished, as he leaned on Kibum for support and warmth. “I've been thinking...maybe, maybe we should...should give them better care.”

“But we've already given them the best, all that we can.” Kibum sighed, knowing there wasn't any fault on anyone's part. Kevin was only answering Alexander's question, and Alexander and Soohyun were only being curious, normal for someone their age. The blue car...Kibum doesn’t care.

“I meant...giving them to someone better.”

Kibum stiffened.

He tried to keep his cool. Kevin was just going through a hard time, he wasn't going to make it worse. “No one can be better to them than their real parents.”

“Kibummie-hyung...” Kevin shook his head. “You don't understand, do you? My son, our son almost died. I was the one who caused it because I wasn't paying attention. I am half a murderer!”

“Then what am I? I left you to take care of two kids, two with growing curiousity about everything, let you do the parenting job alone and work. Shouldn't I be the murderer? You did everything you could, I didn't. I'm a horrible father, am I not?”

“It's not that...okay, maybe it is. We're horrible parents...we should send them away.” Kevin choked on his words, looking away because he didn’t dare face Kibum.

“Baby, you're not allowed to have that idea.” Kevin looked ready to argue back, but Kibum put a finger on his lips. “In this world, we might not be the best. But we love them more than any other couple could or would. And we can make mistakes. We are humans, not immortals. We err, so what? We give up? No, we learn. We learn along the way, we learn from our mistakes and never make them again. Giving up is the easiest way out, sure. But did you go through six months, for Soohyun at least, six month of pregnancy to send him to some other person? You brought him into this world. You deserve every right to see him grow up into a man you taught and will continue teaching him to be. No one else, baby, no one else except maybe me.”

Kevin hugged his husband tight, thankful that Kibum knew what to say, even if it’s only during the times Kevin was unsure of himself did it happen.

“Okay.” Kibum started. “Let's send them to the orphanage.”

“WHAT?!” Kevin screamed, pulling away and staring at Kibum with disbelieving eyes.

“You were the one being so insistent about it. I'm only letting you have it your way.” Kibum shrugged as if he didn't care.

“No.” Kevin shook his head firmly. “I want them, I want to give them the best, even if it takes decades to learn to be the best.”

Kibum smiled, Kevin returned it with one of his own collection.

“That's my baby.” Kibum leaned in to kiss Kevin's lips. “Let's get back to them.”

-

A man and a child Kevin didn't recognize entered the ward. He shook Kibum awake, briefly looking at the wall clock that read 7 o'clock. It was dinner time.

“Yeah, baby? What's wrong?” Kibum yawned, stretching his arms while Kevin whispered into his ears, not wanting his words to sound rude before a stranger.

“Someone came to see Soohyun. I don't know him, do you?”

Kibum blinked and turned to the door, before hurriedly standing up to bow.

“I'm sorry. Not because I ran out of the meeting, but because I was yelling.” Kibum apologised.

“Don't be. I should be the one asking for your forgiveness. I shouldn't have tried to hold you back.” The man smiled kindly. “I'm also here to tell you that I'm willing to invest all that I can in your company.”

Kevin didn't know what it meant exactly, but Kibum had been working for many nights on getting people to invest in his small company to maybe make it big. He smiled widely when Kibum turned to him, face in shock, as if wanting Kevin to tell him this whole incident wasn’t a dream.

“I-I...” Kibum coughed out, suddenly unable to express himself.

“And don't thank me. I should be thanking you.” The man raised a hand to stop Kibum before he started any “thank you” speech. “Before today, I had never once put my child before my career. Thanks to you, the meeting was abruptly called off. My son here called me about fifteen minutes later, wanting to be picked up from his preschool. On a normal occasion, I would have told him to wait and get my maid to pick him up, probably half an hour later. Today, I sped over and a minute after I reached, he cried out in pain.”

Kevin’s face scrunched up in worry, looking at the little boy, checking if he was in pain. The man noticed and shook his head.

“It's only a stomachache though, but a child shouldn't be put through any kind of pain alone, so I was relieved I was there to soothe him.” The man explained, and the boy beside him hugged his leg tightly. “You taught me something important, and I would love working with a man who has a heart.”

The man then chatted with Kibum as Kevin woke Alexander and Soohyun up to play with the preschool child. He sat beside the trio and watched, slightly chiding his children when they did something disrespectful to the preschool child, who was significantly older than them. When he saw that they were having fun, he left them alone with a small sigh of content.

Kevin then moved to sit beside Kibum, smiling at the kids and then feeling a hand sneak around his waist. He shifted closer and smiled at the investing man, listening to the conversation but not really registering anything.

“Your wife is very beautiful.” The man said. Kevin only realised the conversation changed its focus when the man looked at him for a long moment, and he blushed at the straight-forward compliment.

As if protective, Kibum pulled Kevin closer and smiled proudly. “He sure is.”

The man raised an eyebrow, but shook it away with an understanding nod. “Your kids are adopted?”

“No, he's capable of getting pregnant.” Kibum shrugged, not really remembering what the term for Kevin was.

The man looked surprised, and they continued speaking like Kevin wasn't there. “Must be hard on him.”

Kibum smiled at Kevin appreciatively, who smiled back. Kibum leaned in but Kevin shied away, conscious of the man.

The man laughed. “It's okay, I'm cool with public display of affection.”

 -

Thank you all for waiting! <3 And the 61 subscribers and 16 commenters :D Arigatou~