Parenting for Dummies - Chapter 14

Parenting for Dummies

Alexander was really really scared. A seven month and two weeks old baby shouldn’t be put through such a scare, but he was. Now, crying his eyes out and wailing loudly, Alexander was scared.

Looking at the bed opposite where he is, Alexander recognised the person on it to be his mommy. Mommy was so pale, looking very fragile with eyes closed.

It shouldn’t be like that. Six hours ago, they were still a happy family, daddy playing with him while mommy clearing up the dishes.

Six hours ago...

Why, why does everything have to suddenly change? Just within six hours, both his parents are on bed. He doesn’t know where he is anymore, but he knows he’s far from daddy, next to mommy, seeing him in the same state. Eyes closed, not moving, ignoring (or so Alexander thinks) him.

He immediately shut up when he saw Kevin shake his head with a jerk, as if waking up from a nightmare. “Alexander...Alexander...”

Alexander immediately called out for attention. “Mommy!”

Kevin turned his head to look where the voice came from. “Alexander! I was so worried, I’m glad you’re here. I hope you didn’t get a scare. Mommy didn’t mean to leave you in daddy’s ward all by yourself.”

Alexander shook his head, but tears were rolling down his tiny face. Kevin tried to sit up, weakly moving out of bed to hold Alexander in his arms. Cuddling the baby, he patted Alexander’s back as the younger one choked on tears.

As if at last having the chance to think, Alexander realised something was weird. “Mommy...big? No?”

Kevin blinked and could not comprehend what Alexander was saying. “Again?”

Pointing at Kevin’s stomach, Alexander looked back into Kevin’s eyes like he was stating something obvious.

“Oh.” Kevin finally smiled. “I have something to show you.”

-

Kevin eventually called for help, asking for a wheelchair since he couldn’t really stand up properly. Alexander wondered why, but he didn’t ask. Sitting on Kevin’s lap as he wheeled the wheelchair, Alexander still had no idea where they were heading.

He then stopped face to face with a room full of people his size. Or even smaller.

He realised it isn’t a certain something he has to see, it’s a certain someone.

“There.” Kevin pointed, knowing how the hospital works. “There’s your little brother.”

Alexander’s eyes followed Kevin’s finger, not really sure if he was looking at the right one.

“That’s where the big round “thing” in mommy’s stomach became. Your brother, Alexander. You’re a big brother now!” Alexander looked at the “little brother” again.

He didn’t know how to respond.

For months, Kevin has been telling him that there will be a new addition to a family. He thought it would be like a new Barbie doll, and he was sure he could love it very much because who doesn’t love Barbie dolls? But now there was someone else that looks like him, only smaller.

“Mommy?” Alexander tugged Kevin’s arm.

“Yes, darling? Do you like him?” Kevin asked gently.

“Me hungry.”

Kevin chuckled, not hearing the insecurity in Alexander’s voice. He still does not know if he likes his new brother, but he decided he would take his time and try to accept him.

“Okay, I will get the nurse to get us both food all right?” Kevin ruffled Alexander’s non-existent hair, wheeling himself back into his ward. “I just hope daddy doesn’t wake up and get worried. Too many things happened today.”

Alexander nodded.

Too many.

-

With stomachs filled, Kevin started moving towards Kibum’s ward. He noticed Alexander was a little gloomy, so he decided to wheel faster to make him feel the wind, which maybe will help Alexander to become happier. Using all his arm strength since that wasn’t used during labour, his wheelchair zoomed swiftly past many nurses and doctor.

“Don’t do that! You’re in the hospital!” A nurse called after him, and he slowed down considerably. He turned to bow an apology, pointing at Alexander. The nurse was already out of side, though.

Kevin saw Alexander giggled, looking like he had fun. “We will do that outside, when we can’t bang into other patients, okay?”

Alexander nodded and they continued moving past many people in white, making a few turns here and there while they were at it.

Kevin knocked on the door before reaching up for the door knob and pulling it down, wheeling himself in.

“Kibummie-hyung! You’re up!” Kevin grinned happily, and Kibum immediately turned around and ran over to hug them.

“Where were you? I was so worried, I saw Xander’s dolls and was frantically searching for him. I thought something bad happened.” Kibum ranted off, and frowned. “Where’s...where’s our baby?”

Kevin chuckled. “Look at you, all worried. Teaches you not to hide anything from me and go out in the middle of the night to work out company problems.”

“How did you know? Must be that idiot.” Kibum shook his head with a sigh. “Seriously, what happened to our second child? Is he...is he-”

“My gestation period was short. But the baby’s all fine, in the nursery room.” Kevin leaned in to kiss Kibum’s cheek. “What should we name him?”

“We’ll think of that later. Let’s get you and Xander into a more comfortable position.” Kibum laughed as he saw Alexander squirming to get away, squashed between his parents. Carrying Alexander, Kibum placed the child on the bed, picking up his dolls and placing them around Alexander. He then carried Kevin bridal style and dropped him next to Alexander. “I’m sorry I couldn’t be with you. I must be the most horrible husband, lying in bed while you struggle to push the baby out. Baby, forgive me?”

“I was never angry at you. Okay, maybe I was, but it’s because you didn’t tell me about your company!” Kevin pouted, sticking out his bottom lip to show his anger. Cutely.

“I didn’t want you to worry, baby. Worrying is no good for a pregnant Kevin.” Kibum smiled, pulling Kevin onto his lap hugging his waist. He beckoned for Alexander to come closer, pressing Alexander’s body against his own.

“I’m your wife. Or husband. Whatever, basically, we’re married. I deserve to worry about everything related to you. And I’m not as weak as you think, honey. I can take the stress!” Kevin sighed, leaning his back against Kibum’s chest.

“You may be able to, little child in you might not.” Kibum tightened his grip around Kevin’s waist. “Okay, no more on this. Company will be getting better. So, name?”

“I don’t know, honey. I told you it would be a Korean name, and I’m not good with Korean names.” Kevin turned around to face Kibum. “This time, you choose.”

“Hmm...Soohyun?” Kibum asked, raising an eyebrow at his own suggestion.

“Oh, sounds good. Why?” Kevin cocked his head to a side while asking.

“All Soohyuns I met are successful...” Kibum’s words trailed off.

Kevin frowned. “Why do you sound so hesitant?”

Kibum gulped.

“I only met two.”

Kevin rolled his eyes but smiled. “The name is pretty good though, we’ll go with it?”

“Mm.” Kibum nodded, looking at Alexander. “Do you like the name?”

Alexander stared back in silence.

Kibum blinked. “Does he know?”

“He does.” Kevin confirmed, looking at Alexander. “What’s wrong, darling?”

Shaking his head, Alexander smiled.

-

Kibum wheeled Kevin and Alexander out of his ward, eagerly wanting to go see his child for the first time. They moved slowly, chatting along the way. When they finally stopped, Kibum looked around and tried to identify his child, to no avail.

“NO. It’s the fifth one on the third row.” Kevin sighed.

“Oh. Wow, I want to hold him now.” Kibum pouted, clawing on the window. “We can get out tomorrow, yes?”

“Are you well?” Kevin cocked his head to a side, voice overflowing with worry.

“Yes, baby. I’m better.” Kibum grinned. “Slept like a dead log, hard not to.”

“Well then, we can leave tomorrow. What about Xander? What do we do with him?” Kevin turned Alexander to look at him. “You want to sleep with daddy or mommy?”

“Daddy.” Alexander chose, and Kevin’s eyebrow went to a new high.

“ME!” Kibum cheered happily. “This is a first, I need to celebrate today. What’s the date again?”

Kevin chuckled. “March 11, honey. All right, let’s go to bed early.”

Kibum nodded enthusiastically, pushing Kevin back into his ward. He then carried Alexander off Kevin, putting him on the couch temporarily. Bringing Kevin up to his hospital bed, Kibum made sure his wife was covered well before turning off the lights for him.

“Goodnight, baby. Xander, say goodnight to mommy.” Kibum’s hands wrapped around Alexander’s waist before hugging him against his chest with his forearm around Alexander’s body.

“Night, mommy.” Alexander greeted, and waved back as Kevin did a small wave.

“Night, darling. You too, honey. Don’t play too much with Xander. You and him both need to rest.” Kevin warned, before smiling and slowly closing his eyes.

“Sleep tight.” Kibum whispered, before leaving Kevin’s ward for his own.