Parenting for Dummies - Chapter 19

Parenting for Dummies

Alexander no longer had to try very hard. Soohyun now constantly bothers him to sing with the younger one, poking, prodding, even pulling the older brother so he would do the rapping part of the song for him (Alexander cannot, but he figured it was like talking). Alexander felt tired of saying all the fruits he knew one day (which was two weeks later), and shook his head firmly at his younger brother (that currently really looks older).

“No, I’m not going to say apple, bananas, cinnamom and dragonfruit again and again, again!” Alexander stood akimbo. “I have good things to do, like looking in at meh-girl-jeens.”

(Kevin chuckled, and reminded himself to tell Alexander cinnamon (not cinnamom) isn’t a fruit. Not now, he thought, Alexander will be embarrassed and that’s the last thing Kevin wants his darling (girly-like) son to feel.)

Soohyun pouted and sniffed, before Kevin understood the situation and quickly raised his hand. “Hyunnie, I’ll do the rap for you!”

“Rearry?” Soohyun asked with his toothless smile, looking deadly adorable.

“Yes, yes. Which song is it?” Kevin smiled and nodded as a signal for Alexander to know it was okay to read his (actually Kevin’s) magazines (for women) and leave Soohyun in Kevin’s hands.

“Red tree!” Soohyun clapped his hands excitedly. Kevin laughed and took out the CD from the red album, pressing the skip button thrice to reach Track 4. “Yes!”

“Okay, we’ll sing it together!” Kevin caressed Soohyun’s head as he took out the lyric book from the album, finding the lyrics because he wasn’t planning to say all the fruits he knew.

Alexander raised an eyebrow at them, a little jealous.

He missed having mommy beside him, laying casually on the floor, gushing about the pretty dresses in the magazines.

-

Kibum walked into the house to find a full-fledged karaoke session happening. He was about to join them in the fun when he realised there were only two microphones.

Where was Alexander?

He frowned and walked closer, finding his older son on the floor beside the coffee table, lazily flipping the pages of the magazine he was reading. The pages were flipped pretty quickly, and Kibum doubted that Alexander was really reading.

“Xander? What’s wrong?” Kibum asked as he squatted down in front of the boy, who looked up with a small smile.

“Evening, daddy.” Alexander greeted with a slight bow of his head.

Kibum ruffled Alexander’s (still short but thicker) hair, repeating his question.

“Nothing, daddy. I’m hungry.”

Kibum’s eyebrows twitched.

“Baby...baby!” Kibum called out, finally getting Kevin to notice him.

“Oh, honey! You’re home!” Kevin shouted, before tuning the volume down. “Welcome home~!”

“It’s six.” Kibum simply stated, ignoring the fact that Kevin didn’t notice he was home already five minutes ago.

Kevin nodded with a smile. “So?”

“Did you prepare dinner?”

“OH MY GOODNESS!” Kevin screamed, running towards the kitchen and taking out pots and pans haphazardly, causing a lot of noise.

“BABY!” Kibum yelled, shrugging when Alexander and Soohyun stared at him. “Let’s go out and eat today.”

There was, again, a lot of noise as the cooking equipments were stuffed back into the cupboards. Kevin bounced out a minute later, releasing a sigh of relief. “I’m sorry, honey, I didn’t mean it.”

“I know, it’s all right..” Kibum nodded assuringly. “Go change. Xander’s hungry.”

Kevin’s mouth fell open again. “Xander’s hungry? Aw, darling baby, you should have told me!”

Alexander shook his head. “Don’t matter.”

“Nonsense!” Kevin chided gently and carried Alexander, probably to help him change clothes. “You matter the whole world to me.”

Kibum noted that Alexander’s smile reverted back to the radiant sunshine one. He had a guess, but he wouldn’t tell yet.

“Come on, Soohyunnie, we can sing together on the car later.”

-

Kibum almost crashed into the car in front of his own because he was laughing too hard. Being a stay home dad (or mom, Kevin was more of a mom, anyway) had its plus points. Kevin could see how adorable and innocent kids are (and laugh at them while he’s at it).

“He said the apple, bananas, cinnamom and dragonfruit repeatedly? Xander, why are you so adorable?” Kibum laughed heartily.

Kevin immediately whacked Kibum’s head. “You have one adult and two children’s lives at stake. Concentrate on the road!”

“Ouch, okay!” Kibum sighed, getting over his laughing fit. “But that’s so cute! And cinnamon isn’t a-”

“KIM KIBUM!” Kevin yelled. It wasn’t the time for Alexander to know his mistake yet.

“Huh? Did I overshoot or something?” Kibum frowned worriedly, looking around. “I’m on the right track, yeah?”

“Mm, just shut up and drive.” Kevin bit his lip, praying that Kibum would understand him this time.

“Okay, okay.”

Alexander blinked. “Mommy, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing, honey.” Kevin turned behind with a smile and saw Soohyun tremble in fear. “Sorry Hyunnie, mommy promises not to scream so much.”

Soohyun only visibly calmed down when Alexander took his hand and whispered into his ear.

“We have ice-cream later.”

-

This is sadly, the end of my marathon updating. I have no idea when the next chapter will be up because I'm trying to sync this with LJ updates, but in LJ I update a whole lot of one shots, so this would have to wait .__.

As an alternative to waiting, I cannn bring over another two chaptered fics, but only if people wants to read them ^^"

One of them is named Acceleration of the Cardiac Cycle, the summary is as below:
It’s a high school thing – books and nerds, looks and popularity, sweat and sports. Oh, what’s high school without some gossip?
(Basically a high school fic in which Kevin's a nerd, Kibum's the most handsome guy but has no friends, Alexander's the gossip guy, Eli's a soccer player, Soohyun's the soccer captain, Dongho's the high school kid that looks like a middle schooler. Kiseop? Oh, he's not a student :3)

The other is A Cup of Sweet Espresso, please?, summary as below:
Kevin applied for his first job at a café. It was to gain work experience; he didn’t mean to stay for long. Yet the friendly co-workers, the easy job, and a regular customer that catches something more than just Kevin’s eyes, gave him every reason to stay.
(A chaptered fic happening only in the same cafe most of the time. Kevin is the waiter, Kibum is the customer, all other members work in the cafe with Kevin. The first day was rough for a new waiter like Kevin, but a certain customer was there :3)

Of course it would be okay if you guys don't want to read these two fics, but if you do see a certain one that catches your eye, comment and I'll probably bring it over to tide over your boredom lol. ^^