Parenting for Dummies - Chapter 15

Parenting for Dummies

As Kevin did the checking out procedures (because Kibum was busy playing with Soohyun), he heard something.

“He doesn’t look like me or you...” Kibum mumbled under his breath as he studied the baby’s features.

Kevin immediately got offended. “Kim Kibum! I hear it again and you’re going to have to sleep on the sofa. For LIFE.”

“No! I mean, isn’t it weird?” Kibum massaged Kevin’s shoulders to calm him down. “I didn’t mean anything! Really!”

“He looks beautiful. And he’s not supposed to look like either of us, anyway. He’s supposed to be a mix of our features.” Kevin turned and squinted his eyes at Kibum, as if daring him to contradict.

“Huh? Why?” Kibum asked, clearly confused.

“Did you attend Biology lessons?” Kevin facepalmed himself, shaking his head at his husband

“Yes...” An unsure reply.

Kevin took in a deep breath. Okay, maybe Kibum just forgotten. “It’s something of a genetic makeup.”

“Oh. No wonder he sounds like you. Beautiful-”

“ARGH! Voices are not decoded by the genetic make-up! Did you sleep through lessons?!” Kevin replied in annoyance, shocking the lady at the counter. He immediately apologised, glaring at Kibum.

“No. But I failed...” Kibum looked down at the floor, a little ashamed.

“I love you, honey, but someday, you’ll be the death of me.” Kevin sighed, finishing up the procedures and paying for their hospital fees.

“Because I failed Biology?!” Kibum widened his eyes in terror.

“BECAUSE YOU’RE TOO DAMN CLUELESS!” Kevin huffed angrily, picking up Alexander and stomping away.

“But- But!” Kibum searched for an excuse while running after Kevin. “Biology’s useless!”

-

“Your child, Soohyun, is a 47, XYY male.” The doctor informed as he did a check up on both the mother and the son. “Basically an extra chromosome.”

“Is it bad?” Kibum quickly asked, anxious for a positive reply.

“No, it’s fine.” The doctor assured. “They have an increased risk of learning difficulties and delayed speech and language skills, but other than that, they will be fine. Besides, that’s a risk, it might not happen on him. Take note though, that they have an increased growth velocity during earliest childhood, and will turn out taller than the expected final height.”

“Oh, Soohyun will be tall.” Kevin concluded with a nod. “That’s nice.”

“Other than that, nothing else is different. Development delays and behavioural problems are also possible, but do not be alarmed. These happen in every child.” The doctor continued informing, and the couple nodded in understanding. “Your first child can help your second child in learning, it’ll do Soohyun good.”

Kevin looked at Alexander with a smile. “You’ll now be a teacher!”

Kibum grinned along, pinching Alexander’s cheeks lightly.

Alexander pouted, wondering if it was a good thing or a bad thing. He turned to Soohyun who looked back at him curiously.

All right, the younger one does look kind of cute.

-

Alexander thinks he is a very good brother. He shares his Barbie dolls, teaches Soohyun how to cook (plastic food with plastic fry pan on a plastic stoves), tells Soohyun how to change clothing for Barbie dolls, helps Soohyun when he cannot comb Barbie’s dry hair.

“Practees, and if you coalm very long, next time will be easy. Be very light, Barbie’s a lady, she need to be taeg care of.” Alexander warned slightly in his nine month old English language and toothless pronunciation, remembering what Kevin told him – to take care of a lady.

Soohyun stared at him and did as he was told, but still pulled too hard. Alexander frowned.

“Okay, I do, you change Ken’s kloats, they are play two-get-the.” Alexander decided, throwing some clothes towards Soohyun’s area and passing him the Ken doll.

With eyes that looked blur, Soohyun blinked at the doll in his hands. He tugged Ken’s right leg in curiousity, before poking his head. He then brought Ken up to his face and stared at the doll.

Before biting down.

“No! You eat Ken! No!” Alexander growled, snatching Ken away immediately and checking if they were any bite marks on Ken. “No eat Ken! Or I don’t like you!”

Instead of crying like how Alexander expected him to, Soohyun yawned and instantly fell flat onto the floor, drifting off to his dreamland.

Alexander sighed. At least Ken was all right, fine to go on a date with Barbie. He sighed at Soohyun who was sleeping. He was not going to be angry with his little brother. However, he was going to tell mommy how violent Soohyun is.

-

Alexander doesn’t understand what was so funny. He pouted in silence as Kevin and Kibum laughed, tears forming at the end of Kibum’s eyes even. He just told mommy about Soohyun biting Ken, but mommy only replied with laughter.

They have been laughing for a minute now.

“O-Okay.” Kevin said as he tried to breathe in, breaking into small fits of giggles as he attempted. “Okay. Xander, when you were as young as Soohyun, you bite everything too. Don’t be angry with Soohyunnie, okay?”

“Yeah.” Kibum coughed out. “You almost swallowed the surfboard too.”

Kevin tried to shake away the feeling of wanting to laugh all over again, concentrating on feeding Soohyun. “Honey, feed Xander for me.”

“Mm.” Kibum nodded, placing a baby spoon with finely chopped ingredients before Alexander’s mouth. “Ahh.”

Alexander mimicked Kibum’s mouth, letting the spoon enter his mouth, before closing his mouth over the food. Kibum pulled the spoon out and patted Alexander’s head.

“Good boy, Xander. Now, chew.” Kibum said and put some food into his own mouth, showing Alexander the chewing motion.

It has been a few days. Kibum and Kevin were teaching him how to chew, and Alexander has been following well (as well as toothless chewing can be). Kibum smiled as Alexander stopped chewing, watching instincts teach the oldest son to swallow. Alexander returned the smile with his own big one.

At least he felt closer to daddy, Alexander thought. Now that mommy is spending so much time with Soohyunnie, he was left under daddy’s care, which was pretty good too. Maybe Alexander will start loving Kibum as much as he loves Kevin, maybe Soohyun wasn’t such a bad addition.

Maybe. Alexander doesn’t know what will happen in the future, only pinning his hopes on the maybe, as he opened his mouth for another spoonful of food.

-