Parenting for Dummies - Chapter 20

Parenting for Dummies

It was just like any other day in the Kim’s family. Kevin sighed as he fell flat onto the sofa, tired from the chores, hand going to his back to massage himself. Alexander climbed up onto the sofa and crawled to Kevin’s head.

“Mommy?”

“Yes, Xander?” Kevin replied, head looking up with a smile.

“I think I need new bed.” Alexander said, waiting for a reply.

Kevin frowned. “Why?”

“I’m big, no space.” Alexander pouted, re-enacting how he sleeps in his baby bed. He tossed around and facepalmed himself, showing the situation when he hits the side wooden railing which was there to prevent him from falling.

With a chuckle, Kevin shook his head. “I don’t want you to fall out of the bed though. The last thing I want for anything to happen to either of you is getting hurt.”

Alexander shrugged. “Big bed, like yours.”

“I don't know, we will ask your daddy about that.” Kevin was unsure if he should give his son such a big bed, seemingly spoiling him, but he didn't want to risk possible dangers for an eighteen month old child. “It costs a lot, anyway. We’ll see if we should.”

Alexander nodded, satisfied with the answer. “How did I appear?”

Kevin blinked. “Huh?”

“Soohyun, me, how did we appear?” Alexander cocked his head to a side. “I saw Soohyun grow. He was a ball. I think I was a ball too. But how did the ball appear?”

Kevin blinked again, cheeks flushed, thinking of how to explain the process of baby-making to Alexander (the rated G one).
 

-


Soohyun crawled into the bathroom and pushed the door close, before turning around and crawling to the side of the bathtub. He placed the drain stopper in place, and the tap.

He saw mommy do that before, only half the bathtub though, but Soohyun liked the water. He decided to fill the bathtub full, and waited patiently for the water to rise up to the highest level. He only remembered he had to turn off the tab when water overflowed and wetted him.

Taking his clothes off his small body clumsily, he wanted to take a bath on his own, taking his own sweet time. Kevin seemed to always want them out of the water quickly, but Soohyun really, really liked the feeling of the water around him.

“Oh!” Soohyun smiled as he saw the body wash bottle sitting at the side of the bathtub. He filled the bottom of the tub with body wash, undissolved but that’s all right.

Soohyun then crawled up and tried to get into the bathtub. He successfully got in, but he couldn’t stand since he hadn’t learn how to. Water flowed out of the bathtub as it was already full before he entered, wetting the whole toilet.

The feeling of water against his skin, so cold, so relaxing, engulfing his little form. His closed his eyes as it stung, sinking further down in the bathtub. After a few seconds, he felt suffocated. He wanted to get up to the surface to take in more oxygen, thus he tried to get up. His legs were trying to find a place to stand in the bathtub, yet as the body wash was not dissolved, he slipped continuously and failed to obtain fresh air. Soohyun’s head only occasionally reached the surface, hands trying to grab onto something to help himself up, but he found nothing.

He screamed, but all that could be heard out of the water was a muffled hum.

-

“So a bee stung a bird, got his honey in the bird. The honey then started growing in the bird, becoming a big ball.”

Alexander blinked and nodded. “That's why you call me sweetie sometimes? Because I'm made of honey?”

Kevin frowned, wondering how to say “no” but stop him from any other questions. How did his mother cope with him when he asked?

Alexander tried to himself.

“No, sweetie. You're not honey. I'm not a bird either, and your father isn't a bee. This is just...how it works.”

“So daddy bite you and put something in your blood? Like a vampire?” Alexander's eyes widened in shock. “Or is daddy really a vampire?!”

“...No.” Kevin sighed. “Darling sweetie, you'll learn this one day in school. Teachers will tell you the right things, okay?”

“Oh.” Alexander looked disappointed. “I would want a vampire daddy.”

“Silly sweetie.” Kevin chuckled before looking around. “Why can't I hear Soohyun? You do your thing, I'll go check on him, all right?”

“Mm.”

-

Kevin frowned when he couldn't find Soohyun in his room. He noticed the bathroom door was closed.

“Hyunnie, you're still a little too young to-” Kevin gasped as he walked into the bathroom, immediately noticing the wet floor.

The filled tub.

His child.

“Oh my God.” Kevin let out in a hushed whisper, eyes widened till it hurt. When his brain finally processed what happened, he screamed. “Oh my God!”

He quickly got Soohyun out of the tub and checked Soohyun's breathing. The breathing was really weak. Kevin tried shaking Soohyun awake, but the child didn't respond, eyes still closed. Kevin tried to do cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) on the young boy, doing what he learned (thankfully he listened) in lessons. He managed to make Soohyun cough out water and start breathing properly, but the baby still fell back into an unconscious state.

“Please be all right, please.” Kevin let out a single drop of tear, carrying Soohyun in his arms and calling for Alexander. He tried to keep calm to have a clear head.

“We have to get to the hospital.”

-

For those who do not know, I've already brought Acceleration of the Cardiac Cycle over! You can check it out at http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/51748
Thank you! ^^