Chapter 39

What Were the Odds?

 

“Wae?” I said, stuttering. Kyuhyun was staring at me head-on. He wore his leather jacket that I see very often on him and had a sweater around his neck. His sweater almost covered half of his dull and sleepy eyes. His hands were placed in the pockets of his jacket. He wore his casual jeans and some sneakers. After a moment of realization that I was staring at him I paused. “What are you doing here at this time of day?”

“Is Taeyeon-noona here?” he asked under his sweater. I shook my head. “I just wanted to check on you today before, you know… tomorrow.” I froze at his sentence. He didn’t move as well. He just stood there like some stranger begging silently for a shelter.

The snow didn’t disappear. White was still covering the outside of the apartment. Kyuhyun barged in like he owned the place the minute I attempted to close the door in front of his face. I didn’t want to see him. Not in the day before he will leave me.

“Why are you still wrapped in your sheets? It’s already six in the morning!” Kyuhyun said after looking inside my messy bedroom.

“Wow… Look at you… Barging into someone’s house and telling me that! This guy! Really!” I said following him after I closed the door. I didn’t like it. Not a bit. To see him before he leaves. I hurt me.

Because of Kyuhyun’s shouting and yelling and telling me to wake up even though I am already awake, I took the shower while I was at it. Really. He kept on telling me that a girl should behave well. A girl should clean her surroundings. And a girl should be in a better place. Well I’m sorry if I can’t afford to buy a mansion Mr. Arrogant! I literally killed him in my mind.

After I took my shower, I heard him knock on my bedroom door while I was changing. He told me to where something nice but warm. I did what he told me and I chose the best I could find in my closet. Upon walking out of my room, Kyuhyun stared at me for a long moment. His eyes were traveling, observing me as if I did something bad or something.

I let him be. I didn’t know what I looked either. I decided to wear my finest leather jacket, just so I could match his. I paired it with a skinny bottom and sneakers. I still got to use my favorite pink scarf. I paused at the entrance of my room and stared at him. “Yah… Is it too much?” I said as I grabbed my small sling bag from the table just outside my room.

“No. It’s fine. I like it. You’re beautiful.”

I cleared my throat at his statement. I looked away before letting him grab me by the arm. “Let’s go.”

“Where are we going today?”

***

After hours of driving in silence we arrived at a small mountain side. Snow was still covering the view but it felt like I knew what it looked like even without a snow. The mountain was cold. Even colder than the city streets. I shivered and stood by Kyuhyun who was kneeling down. “Please wait for a while, let’s stay for a little longer.”

“Why did you bring me here?” I said as Kyuhyun stood up, rubbing his hands together.

“This, this is where Joohyun lies.” He looked down and I felt the sadness in his eyes. I thought at that moment that he didn’t want me to see him sad. And I guess he didn’t.

I stayed silent as he continued looking down. “Where is the tombstone?”

“She didn’t want any. When I held her in my arms that night, she told me to put her here. In this place where we first met each other.” Kyuhyun was still sad. I knew it.

I kneeled down and touched the snowy ground. The snow was fine in that area. Like it was more special than the other snow, falling from the sky. I took my gloves from my hand and felt the snow better. It wasn’t that cold as well. I think it was warmer. I wondered how Joohyun would react if Kyuhyun left her.

“This is also the place where I gave her my promise ring.” Kyuhyun spoke suddenly. He wasn’t staring nor looking my way, instead was he holding something in his hand. It looked like a ring. He lend me a hand and I took it. He held mine tightly.

“Kyuhyun?”

“I know it sounds corny. But Joohyun said that I should find a girl that I could love no matter what happens.” Kyuhyun traced the lines on my fingers before locking his with mine. It didn’t feel awkward. I agree that it was a little cheesy but I didn’t not like it one bit. I squeezed his hand and gave him a warm smile.

“Can you promise me one thing Soo?”

“I’m not really good with promises Kyuhyun…” I said as I chuckled.

“If that someone you’ve been waiting for all this time is me… Marry me when I come back.”

I didn’t know what to say. I didn’t know what to show him. I was terrified yet excited. I was horrified that he’d never turn back yet faithful to him. I wanted to say yes. But something was holding my tongue from saying the small word. I looked down on my finger. There wasn’t a ring but his hand covered mine and it made it feel so warm despite the cold weather.

“Kyuhyun-ah…” I said softly. Tears were clogging up the corners of my eyes. I smiled as one of it fell down. “I don’t really know what to say.” I paused and forced myself to see him. To look at him, his eyes, his expression.

 

“Well… You could really just say yes.”

------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: Hey! It's almost my birthday! Haha! I wanted to give you good chapters on that day! :) Anyways, I hope you enjoy this new update of mine. I'm really having fun on writing this. Sorry for the late updates by the way. I promise to update at least once in every week! Kekeke! ~ I hope you guys are having fun reading this story as well. I'm looking forward for the ending of this fanfic and I hope you will support it all the way! :)

Anyways. God bless! Enjoy!