Chapter 37

What Were the Odds?

 

The night went by quickly and so did Kyuhyun’s driving. He drove me to the apartment and directly started the engine after I got out of the car. Both he and I were silent as I stared at him through the window shield. And I thought right then, nothing will ever be the same. Tears were clogging the corner of my eyes and I tried to resist it as much as I could. I gave him my last smile of the night and raised my hand for a waved. He responded with a quiet smile and an assuring nod. He started the engine again and gave me a final look. Then he drove off.

 

Tiny drops of water came falling from my eyes at the very instant. I stayed in the cold outside until I could only see the lights from the back of his car.

 

 

“Do you really what to know?” his cold stare not leaving me for a second. “I… I…” he stammered and I prepared myself for what he’s unlikely to say. “I’m leaving Seoul… I’m heading to London for Medicine School… It’s my mother’s decision…”

 

Then my heart sank. I don’t know why and I don’t care. All I know is that the person I want to protect the most is going to leave me. Just like what Siwon-oppa did years ago. I don’t want him to go. But I know I shouldn’t say anything at the least. So I muttered a small. “Oh… How long will you stay there?”

 

He seemed to have hesitated but he proceeded. “I don’t know for sure. Six years at the very least.” He wasn’t staring at me now. He was looking down and avoiding my eyes. Trust me, I don’t have the guts to face him eye-to-eye either. As much as it hurt me, I know I should respect his decision.

 

I reached for his hand and he stared at me. “Kyuhyun-ah… “

 

“I’m sorry Soo… I’m so sorry… But if I don’t leave, you and Taeyeon-noona will surely suffer. I didn’t have any choice.” His voice is cracking and his eyes were filled with tears. “I don’t want to leave you…”

 

“It’s okay. I’ll be alright. You can always contact me. You can send me e-mails or pictures. Don’t worry. I’ll be fine.”

 

He sat silently, sniffing his tears away so it wouldn’t fall. “When will you be leaving?” I asked.

 

“December 25th.”

 

“But that’s Christmas Day?”

 

“I know.”

 

I sat and let go of his hand. I felt my heart sank deeper into who knows where. I didn’t know what to feel. I don’t know what.

 

“Spend Christmas Eve with me. Just the two of us. I want a memorable time with you before I leave.” He asked looking up to me. His eyes were still moist.

 

I gave him a weary smile and nodded, assuring him that we will.

 

 

The car vanished completely in the midst of the cold and snowy night. I decided to head back to the apartment and rest. I wonder if Taeyeon-unnie is home though. I hope she is.

 

When I entered the room, there was no unnie there. So I decided to sleep. Tsch. Sleep.

 

 

Unfortunately, I can’t seem to sleep and found myself walking in the streets of Seoul looking for a cheap convenient store where I could buy instant food. The nearest store open was “Beef in your tummy”. Omo… This was the shop were Changmin-oppa worked once. Maybe if I eat here I’ll get a dis- aie. He was fired a long time ago. I thought. But still decided to go in.

 

And yes. I wasn’t wrong. Of course, when it comes to oppa, I was never wrong.

 

“Oppa!” I shouted from the entrance and waved at him as soon as he saw me. He smiled back with a trey on his hand.

 

I took a seat and waited for him to have time to serve me. I sat beside the big window over looking the snowy streets of Seoul. I wished that Changmin-oppa wouldn’t recognize my hurt expressions now. That would be a bad thing.

 

I waited for him to come. I waited for some more. YAH! OPPA! YOU HAVE A FRIEND HERE WHO IS ‘PATIENTLY’ WAITING FOR YOU TO SERVE HER YOU KNOW!!!! I screamed inside my head.

 

After another round of minutes waiting, Changmin-oppa finally came near me… without his uniform this time. “Oppa!” I jolted at the sight of him bringing along an order of Ramen noodles. Finally.

 

“Sooyoung-ah… Let’s go outside… Employees aren’t supposed to hang around after shifts.” Changmin-oppa grabbed me by the arm and dragged me outside the establishment.

 

***

 

After a few short minutes of nibbling and chewing and savoring her food, I finally let out a sigh of relief. Although not forgetting the real issue...Trying to forget the real issue.

 

“Sooyoung-ah… Are you okay?” Changmin-oppa asked while looking down.

 

“Hmm?” I asked back. I didn’t want to point out the obvious. I never did. But I guess oppa’s smartness outsmarted me always. I gave out a weary smile.

 

“That Kyuhyun guy… He’s leaving with his family… On the 25th…”

 

My heart couldn’t accept the fact that even Changmin-oppa knew about this. My eyes flew right out of its socket after hearing him say those words. HELP!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note: HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUYSSSSSSSS!!!!! I'm so sorry for the long wait! But I'm back! Don't worry! I'll update more often now... okay??? Thanks for patiently waiting! I love you guys for WAITING!!!!! :* :* :* :* :* :* Thanks to the new subscribers who i never thought would still subscribe after being in hiatus and all but THANKS!!!! I love you guys!!! :* God bless!!!