Tutor

My Black Rose

    JaeHwa was sitting in her algebra class staring at the board. She was writing notes that she barely understood. Youngjae, looked over his neighbor's notes and stared at her. 

    "JaeHwa, you don't know this?" He asked.

    "To be honest, not a clue."

    "If you want, I-I can h-help you..." Youngjae stuttered then started to rub his neck.

    "Really? Thank you, I really need this. I don't understand anything in this unit." JaeHwa flashed him a smile and kept writing.

    Ms. Jeon came over to hand out the packets. 

    "Alright, ladies and gentlemen, this packet I'm handing out right now will be your homework. It will be due at the end of the week." She handed out the packets to all the tables and JaeHwa skimmed over the problems. 

    "I can't do this!" She cried to herself. 

    She shoved the packet into her bag then stood up exactly when the bell rang. She walked out and Youngjae followed her. 

    Once they were out the door, Youngjae went next to JaeHwa and casually started walking. 

    "So... Jae, when and where should we start tutoring?"

    She seemed caught off gaurd and remembered. "Oh! Umm, can we start at my house after school?" 

    Youngjae seemed hesitant, remembering the last time he and Jongup talked. Jongup was really heated.

    "Alright. I'll come over." 

    "You don't want to walk with me?"

    "Aren't you going to be with Jongin?"

    "I can cancel.."

    "No, I'll just come over. After school, I'd like to change into something else."

    "Okay..."

    Youngjae already felt the awkward tension. He looked away, "Umm, okay bye JaeHwa. See you later."

    "See ya."


    "Umma! I'm going to Jongup's house!" Youngjae called out as he was buttoning his shirt.

    "Wae?" She came walked to his doorway holding the spoon she was using to cook. "Well," She put her hands on her hips and started to smile. "You look so handsome to being hanging out with Jongup."

    Youngjae packed his backpack. "I'm not actually going to hang out with Jongup.." 

     "Oh... I see. You're going to see his sister. JaeHwa huh?"

     "Uhh... Yeah.." 

     "I see. What are you gonna do there?" 

     "She needs a tutor for algebra."

     "Oh.. So you have to be looking good?"

     "Just looking presentable, umma."

     The woman pinched her son's cheek, "My handsome baby."

     Youngjae walked past his brother in the hall. "Yeah, Jae-Young. When's the wedding?"

      "Shut up, hyung." Youngjae threw his bag and started for the door.


     Youngjae stood in front of the Moon House. He had to breathe in and out for a while before he presses the doorbell. He looked down automatically. Mrs. Moon opened the door. 

    "Umm, may I help you?" 

    "Yeobosayo Mrs. Moon, umm, I'm here to work with JaeHwa on the algebra homework." 

    "You know me? What is your name again?"

    "Yoo Youngjae," he bowed. "I am also a friend of Jongup's." Her eyes widen. 

    "Oh! Youngjae! I'm so sorry. It's been a while. Last time I saw you, you were so tiny! Please come in!" She opened the door wider for him to come through. "You've gotten taller and more handsome."

    "Thank you Mrs. Moon." He blushed and looked down. 

    "JaeHwa! Jongup! Your friend is here!"

    Jongup came into the room first. "Youngjae? What do you want?"

    "I'm not trying to do anything. It's just that JaeHwa wanted some tutoring." Youngjae held his hands up. 

    Jongup scoffed and walked away. JaeHwa walked downstairs and walked to the office room. She brought her backpack and put it onto the desk.

    "Hello Youngjae!" She waved. "Let's work here."

    "Alright." 

    The two went straight to work.


    Hyun-Ah and Umma were in the kitchen watching the two work on the packet from the kitchen and through the glass partition. 

    "Umma, they look good together no?" Hyun-ah said as she popped a grape into and leaned onto the counter.

    "Yes. And he's handsome too."

    "Better than that Jongin."

    "I don't know... because Jongin is the one she loves right now."

    "You don't know that."

    'What do you mean?"

   "I mean that they broke up while you guys were gone and they got back together like last week."

   "Chinjja!?" 

   "To be honest, her and Youngjae are better together." Both mother and daughter stared on and laughed.

   Jongup stood with them rolling his eyes and mumbled to himself, "I guess it's better than her and that runt." 

   "Well, I have to go meet your father at the building. We might have to stay there overnight. Bye my babies!" She took her coat and purse." 

   Her children waved back. Hyun-Ah left as well. "I'm not staying there with them." Jongup said as he went upstairs.


"So x=9?" JaeHwa looked at Youngjae, waiting for him to answer back. "Youngjae?" 

   He blankly stared at her. "Hello? Youn--"

   He crashed his lips onto her. Her eyes shot open wide. About a few seconds in, her eyes fell closed. He pulled away, and looked at her blankly again.

    "Umm. I gotta go." He stood up and started to gather his things. 

   "Youngjae, wait what?" 

   "Umm, let's go over the rest at my place, yah? Okay. I'm sorry, but I have to go." 

   He hurried out the door.