Flashback

The Beautiful Runaway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

An eight year old Junmyeon looked at the television where a six year old Yuri was watching her favorite cartoons while sitting like a princess on the settee. He jumped carelessly beside her and changed the channel to his favorite tv show.

“Yah! Oppa! Give me back the remote!”

“What? I want to watch this,” he hid the remote under his .

“Aish! Such an idiot.” Yuri muttered.

The young Junmyeon turned to Yuri with an expression of disbelief. “Hey, watch your language! Where did you learn that, huh?”

“You don’t have any idea, do you?”

“Yah! Don’t question me like that!”

“I learnt that from you, Junmyeon oppa. You should never correct me like that”

“Aigoo,” he chuckled and changed the channel back to her favorite channel. “I never say bad words. Must be learning from that program you are watching. Kekeke.” He chuckled. Yuri pretended not to hear him. So, Junmyeon decided to watch.

They watched for a moment when Suho spoke up.

“Yuri-ah?”

She turned to him. “Yeah?”

“Will you be my girlfriend?” he asked.

“Huh? Girlfriend? What is that? You mean a girl friend?”

*Great, she doesn’t know.* “You can say that.” Junmyeon muttered.

The innocent girl pouted a little. “Aren’t I your girl friend already?”

“Just answer me,” he nagged. “And I will return the remote control to you… Well…?” he asked.

“Of course,” she said. 

Junmyeon stood up and straightened his jacket and trousers before staring at her. “So, I hope to see you tomorrow. It’s my birthday. As my girlfriend, you should come, okay?”

“I will come, you worrier.” She sighed. “Don’t worry.”

Junmyeon smiled at her and she smiled back.

***

“Hey, I brought you a gift. Another gift, I mean.” Yuri whispered to Junmyeon’s ear.

“You mean, this is your personal gift for me?” he asked.

“Yeah…” she turned her face away, not wanting to look at him.

“Come on, show me.” He nudged.

Yuri took her gift from her jumper’s pocket. “Here. Sorry if it’s not wrapped.” She held out a small blue teddy bear and gave it to him. Junmyeon warmly smiled at her and took it gently from her hands.

“Thanks, Yuri-ah.” He smiled.

“You’re welcome. But, hey, I just want to ask you something…”

“What is it?”

“You are my boy friend, right?” she asked with a creased forehead.

Junmyeon bit his lip. *She hasn’t had any idea about what a boyfriend is?* he thought. “I am.” He mumbled to Yuri.

“Well, that’s all.” Yuri twirled around and went back to the celebration hall. “I want to eat those patbingsoo, wanna come, Junmyeon oppa?”

Junmyeon held her hand. “Let’s go.”

***

“I have loved you since we were kids. I didn’t know how and why that happened. I don’t know, really. It’s as if you were the most attractive girl I had ever laid my young eyes upon. And it hasn’t change. Even after a long time. All my life, I only loved one girl and that girl… is you.”

“Junmyeon…” she looked at his eyes. “I can’t…”

“The story doesn’t stop there. You were my girlfriend for two months after that.”

“I didn’t know anything about that, you know,” she bit her lip and closed her eyes. “That… whatever was… that treaty, that girlfriend boyfriend thing is VOID. Long forgotten, long buried.” Yuri crossed her hand in front of her chest and waved it open. “That promise or whatever it’s called, it is already invalid. No, you are not my boyfriend.”

Suho smiled.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter