Chapter 19

MISSter mystery [hiatus]

 

IU was taking her hurdles training more seriously than ever because in a month, she will be joining her first ever competition. She was thrilled by it because she has learned to love the sport after her first day of training. That day, her sister promised to go home with her and give her some sort of massage because she has been aggressively training for too long without any rests. So that was why they were walking together to the front gate where their father was supposed to be fetching them. IU wasn’t sure but she thinks that the man sitting on the bench was someone she knew. And true enough, when they got closer to him, she recognized him as the man whose life she had saved. She smiled secretly because she was happy to see the man after a long time. She remembered the last, embarrassing words she had spoken to him before she and her sister left him in the hospital. She was just following her sister and she was shocked when they started walking towards the man.

 

“Woo? What are you doing here?” Hyoyeon asked.

 

IU, at this moment, was thinking ‘Wow. My sister is seriously friendly. And she approached the man as if they had been in touch. How could she do that?’ And once again, when she looked at him, she felt heat in her face. She should really change the way she acted towards this man. She knew there was something there but she was too scared to label what she was feeling towards him. She continued staring at him and he looked confused. At that point, Hyoyeon continued talking and said, “You probably don’t remember us. I’m Hyoyeon and this is IU, my sister.”

 

And the man muttered something that IU didn’t understand because she was too fixated on her growing affection towards him. She was thinking that he probably was apologizing for not being able to recognize them. And she thinks that he should be really apologetic because she really saved his life and all he did there was talk to her sister and not even once try to acknowledge her presence. All these thoughts were cut when she heard another familiar voice speaking.

 

“How did you know each other?” It was Yoon-hee. And her very friendly personality seemed to have a 360 degree turn-around. The way she asked that question was quite scary, actually. IU haven’t seen this side to her new friend yet. And everybody seemed to have paused when she asked that question so IU decided to break the silence. “Hi, Miss Yoon-hee!”

 

“Oh. Hi IU! What are you doing here I thought you were having hurdles training?” Junho asked.

 

“I was but my sister here promised to give me some massage because my body sort of hurts.” IU replied.

 

“You’re sisters?” Junho asked.

 

Then at that moment, it was Hyoyeon who spoke. “Hi roommate. So you were close with my sister huh? She hasn’t told me about you. Anyways, do you also know Woo? IU happened to be the person who helped Woo when he encountered a terrible accident.”

 

“Yeah, baby. This girl here actually saved my life.” Wooyoung said as he tried putting his arm around Junho’s waist to sort of calm him down because he was obviously agitated for reasons which Wooyoung doesn’t understand.

 

As Wooyoung said the word ‘baby’, the sister’s eyes widened in shock. IU thought, ‘So, they were together? Miss Yoon-hee was the person who Mister Woo here loves. I guess I should be happy for them. But why am I not?’ She wondered.

 

And Hyoyeon said, “Baby? So you two are together? I’m happy for both of you. Anyways, our father is already waiting for us outside. I guess we have to go. It was nice seeing you again Woo. Goodbye for now.” She said and the two sisters left.

 

While walking on their way out, Hyoyeon was thinking, ‘She seems so lucky to have Woo by her side. He seems like a nice man but she’s kind of a . Hmm. I wonder how they’ve met and since when they were together.’ She was busy having these thoughts when she spotted their father’s car and IU and her went inside it.

 

----------------------------------------------------------

 

“This is really a small world, huh? Who would have thought those sisters were also related to this place where you’re teaching?” Wooyoung said.

 

“Yeah. I guess it’s a small world.” Junho said flatly.

 

“What’s wrong buddy? Mind to fill me in? You were elated when you left me earlier and when you came back, you kind of scared the hell out of me when you asked that question. I wasn’t about to tell them that we’re together but you looked as if you were to hit someone so I tried calming you down.” Wooyoung explained.

 

“Nothing. Really, it was nothing. Anyways, I thought you were saved by one person only at the mall?” Junho asked.

 

“So, I was walking at the mall and there was this boyish person at the shoe store. I fainted in front of her and apparently that was IU. She called her sister, Hyoyeon, and that’s how I got to know both of them. Mother and Suzy even met them. Nice girls, if I tell you, and they seem a bit close. Because they used the time they were tending to me at the hospital to bond. Hyoyeon, the older one, was so nice and funny also. She never stops talking and her personality is very likable. And although IU seemed a bit cold and kind of weird, I was still very happy that I fainted in front of her because not all people would have helped me in an instant.” Wooyoung said.

 

“I wonder how I didn’t get to see them. Anyways, I don’t believe you saying that IU was a bit distant and weird. I kind of clicked with her immediately. And she’s also very smart and sensible girl. She’s probably the closest student to me in that school. Unfortunately she can’t be my sister, even though would love for it to happen, because she is already someone else’s sister.” Junho said.

 

“Whoa! What’s with the attitude again? You’re emotions are becoming female also and not just your looks. Are you having your menstruation? Dude, you seem hormonal to me.” Wooyoung said and then laughed so hard.

 

Junho just laughed with him and tried loosening up. He was really uptight because he was surprised to know that IU and Hyoyeon were sisters. But he was more shocked to see that Wooyoung knew them and that they seem to have built a friendly relationship. Junho wasn’t sure but he knew that if at that moment, they were to ask Hyoyeon to choose between him and his buddy, the girl of her dreams would probably pick the latter. And that was how he figured out what agitated him. It was because he viewed Wooyoung as a competitor. He knew that his buddy already has Taeyeon but seeing how Hyoyeon likes the priest, she can surely like nice guys such as Wooyoung. His deep thoughts were cut when he saw Suzy standing at the bus station. They went off the bus and approached the waiting girl.

 

“Hey, Suzy! I was glad you came. How was training?” Junho said trying to lighten the tension surrounding them both.

 

“Actually it was Woo who forced me to come here but it was great seeing you after some time. Training but I guess I have to endure it. Look at you, all womanly and very beautiful.” Suzy said, also attempting to lighten the mood but apparently, her first statement already broke Junho’s heart. He figured that they still weren’t okay.  And even if he looked throughout his brain, he still can’t figure out where this coldness from Suzy comes. Good thing Wooyoung was present and already noticed how awkward things were getting so he interrupted the awkward talk between the two.

 

“I want to eat noodles! The delicious one so let’s go.” He said as he held Suzy’s hand and dragged her to a restaurant while Junho followed them.

 

As they were waiting for the food, Wooyoung and Junho happily told Suzy what happened in the school and the whole situation with Kwon. She seemed uninterested and just ate quietly when the food came. She kept on staring at her phone which made the two guys wonder and ask her.

 

“Are you hurrying or something?” Junho asked.

 

“Come on. You surely don’t need to get back to training. It’s already dark and you guys should also rest. Stop staring at your phone please.” Wooyoung begged.

 

“Okay. I’m sorry. I’m just expecting a call from a friend. It’s really nothing. And I’m not hurrying. It’s been a long time since we’ve done something like this.” Suzy said.

 

Then at that moment, her phone rang and she excitedly answered it. She excused herself from the two guys at the table and went outside. As she went out, the two guys looked at each other and talked about their overly excited friend.

 

“Is she seeing someone? She seemed so happy and excited after hearing that phone ring.” Junho asked Wooyoung.

 

“I don’t think so. I haven’t seen anyone visit her at home and this was the first time I saw her act like that. So my answer would be no.” Wooyoung replied.

 

“Are you sure? I mean she’s pretty and all. I’m certain that many guys fall for her.” Junho said.

 

“Many guys, really, except you...” Wooyoung whispered to imself and to which Junho asked, “What?” And Wooyoung replied back, “Nothing. I just said that she couldn’t enter a relationship now because she was focusing so hard on her training.” Those were the last words they said before they resumed eating.

 

Meanwhile, when her phone rang, Suzy was quite excited to see an unknown number calling. She wasn’t sure what the excitement was all about because it may really not be the person she wanted to talk to. She answered the phone wishing so hard for it to be her newfound friend.

 

“Hello. This is Suzy speaking.” She answered excitedly.

 

“Who are you and what are you doing with my Nichkhun!!”  The girl on the other line asked in a confronting tone.

 

“I do not know a person by that name. I think you’ve got the wrong number.” Suzy replied.

 

“This isn’t Nichkhun’s phone?” She heard a female voice say on the other line.

 

She was very disappointed as she repeated to the other person, “Yes. I’m sorry but I think you dialled the wrong number.”

 

“Oh really! I’m very sorry for the disturbance, miss.” The person on the other line said in a very apologetic manner. Suzy was very disheartened with that call and was about to enter back at the restaurant, her phone rang again. She was really disappointed and didn’t expect too much this time around.

 

“Hello?” She said in a very flat tone.

 

“Is this Suzy? Did I call at a wrong time?” She suddenly became alive after hearing the other voice on the line.

 

“Yes, it’s me. It really is not a wrong time but I’m actually with my friends now having dinner. Have you eaten?” She asked him.

 

“I suppose you know who I am already. So, you’re in a bit of a hurry? Let’s make this fast. I just called to say sorry because I haven’t contacted you in a while. Apparently, the number saved in my phone had the last digit incorrect. So, I tried calling you once I arrived here but I called the wrong number. I hope I didn’t make you worry.” He apologized.

“It’s fine. I also wondered what happened but since there’s no bad news about flights, any Koreans attacked in China or any Chinese attacked by a funny Korean boy, I figured you are safe in China and China is safe from you.” She joked.

 

“Yah! Where did you learn jokes like that? You’re clearly making fun of me! You were the one who placed the number on my phone! Stop laughing.” He said.

 

“Okay. Okay. I’ll stop laughing. I’m already tired from laughing and we just talked for a few minutes. Anyways, I hope you’re not tiring yourself as well. I’ve been training so hard these past few days and I immediately fall asleep as my back hits the bed.” She shared.

 

“Hey! Please eat right and don’t overdo your training. You might get sick and may not be able to debut at all. We both don’t want that to happen.”

 

“Yes sir. I will rest if my schedule permits me.” She said.

 

“Just rest every day despite your schedule, okay? I was hoping you were with your co-trainees who are females but it’s already late and you’re still outside, I’m guessing you are with your guy friends? Those guys I saw at your house when I visited you?” Yoseob said.

 

“Yes. They invited me out for dinner. And probably by now, they’re attacking all the food on our table. Ha!” She said.

 

“Yeah. I guess you’re right. Go back now and eat a lot. I’ll call you again next time.” He said.

 

“Yes sir. Anyways, let’s talk again soon. Bye!” Suzy said as both of them hang up the phone.

 

When she came back at their table, she was smiling widely. And the two guys can’t help but ask her.

 

“What’s with you lately? You’re acting weird.” Wooyoung said.

 

“It’s nothing. Just a friend whom I haven’t talked to in a while.” She replied.

 

 “I’m happy to hear that you’ve started to mingle with other people. Let’s talk later and please eat more. I think you’ve gone thinner.” Junho said as he placed more side dishes on her plate.

 

To those words, Suzy’s heart melted once again. Her head was trying to block her heart from the complete meltdown but it has already started and she can’t stop it anymore. Wooyoung noticed how her expression changed and he excused himself from the table thinking that this might be the time that Suzy talks to Junho.

 

Once the two were left alone, the awkward silence enveloped them but Junho broke it and started talking.

 

“So, you can tell me now what was bothering you before?” He asked.

 

Suzy was thinking really hard as she ate but she still can’t confess her feelings to him. This is what she really feels but she also got to look back at her actions and noticed how much of a hard time she has given Junho so she did what a rightful person would have done in the current situation, she apologized.

 

“Junho, I’m sorry for being such a pain these past few weeks. I didn’t mean to. Seriously. I know I have hurt you so much. The thing that’s bothering me, you need not know about it. What’s more important is that I’m apologizing for my wrongdoings and asking you for a second chance for us to get back to the way we used to be.” Suzy said.

 

Junho was happy as he heard all this. He was really troubled with the situation he’s having with Suzy. Sure she still wouldn’t want to tell him what brought this about but seeing how she sincerely apologized, that could be step one. And he wouldn’t want her to take it back so he transferred to the seat beside her, hugged her and messed her hair. Just like how they were before.


Wooyoung was looking at them from afar. And seeing just how those two were teasing each other again, he knew that he somehow succeeded and that he could now have his best friends back. Now all that’s left was for him to find a nice job. And he already knew where he can get one as he recalled the conversation he earlier had with Hyoyeon at the school.

 

“Hey Woo. I have great news for you.” Hyoyeon told him.

 

“What’s that?” He asked.

 

“I passed by the school clinic earlier and they said that since the school is working hard for a great sports program for the athletic students, they would like to hire a full-time physical therapist to always guide the athletes. I was thinking if you still haven’t applied for a job, you could apply in this school.” Hyoyeon explained.

 

“Really? That would be great! And it was so nice of you to tell me this even if I sort of forgot you earlier.” Wooyoung said.

 

“It’s fine. Just think of it as a favour and you owe me another favour next time.” She said and smiled.

 

As Wooyoung recalled this, a smile flashed along his face. Everything now is seriously getting better. He’ll have a job soon plus he could help Junho locate his sister if he works at the school. He walked back happily to their table.