Chapter 11

MISSter mystery [hiatus]

 

 “So, open it now.” Suzy nagged.

 

“I guess I should open this. You’re right Suzy.” Junho said.

 

“You know what, we should leave you first. You look at it and if ever you need anything, just call us.” Wooyoung said. To which Suzy complained. “Yah! Who said we’re leaving? We’ll be here with him when he opens that bag.” Suzy glared at Wooyoung.

As she was about to speak again, Wooyoung pulled her upstairs and she wasn’t able to complain anymore. Wooyoung gave a last look to his buddy before going completely upstairs and Junho nodded to him as a sign of thanks.

 

When his two friends are gone, Junho held the bag in his hands. It is something that reminded him of his father and holding it is like having his father beside him again. It was a very sad feeling but after he thought of his prayer earlier while walking outside, he can’t help but laugh. He looked up again and tried talking to his father, “Father, you sure do things fast. You want me to find Ji-eun as soon as possible, huh? I was just asking for your help less than an hour ago and here it is. You’re probably just watching us from there, huh? I miss you so much!”

 

After saying these things, he opened the bag. He saw lots of photos, a small box and a thick diary. He looked at the photos first. He couldn’t help but get teary-eyed when he saw a photo of him, his father and his mother. That was when he was about 5 years old. He didn’t remember much from that time but all he knew was his parents were always happy and talking and playing with him saying that they’ll have another person to play with soon. He had no idea what they were talking about but when an uncle fetched them from their small house and brought then to a bigger, mansion-like house, he saw a cousin who used to play a lot with him. And he thought that was what his parents were talking about. He loved playing with his cousin because his uncle brought many toys for his son, and Junho just knows games which do not require things and just involved running around the place. He saw a picture of him and his cousin in a nice place. He then recalled that he was brought to a nice house in the mountains when he was young. He was there with the nanny and his cousin whose name, he doesn’t remember now. And when he arrived at his uncle’s mansion after the vacation, he only has a father left. He tried recalling all of this.

 

“Father, Mother! We are back. I have lots of stories to share to you.” Junho was very excited but was stopped by his father’s gloomy expression.

 

“Junho, we have to leave this place now. I’m sorry to do this but we should really leave. You say goodbye to your cousin and meet me downstairs.” Changmin said.

 

Junho wanted to ask where his mother was but was unable to. He bid his cousin goodbye and went to his father. He said to his father, “Where is mother? We can’t go without her. She is not coming?” He started sobbing. He was wondering why his mother is nowhere to be found.

 

“She’s gone Junho. Your mother’s dead and we should be leaving now. Come on.” His father replied and they didn’t talk about his mother’s death ever again.

 

A tear fell on Junho’s face as he remembered all of these things. Even before his father’s death, nothing about his mother was said and the last thing he heard from him was to look for his sister Ji-eun and protect her from danger. What type of danger that is, he doesn’t know. Maybe these things he found from his father’s bag will lead him to the true reason of looking for and protecting his sister.

 

He continued looking at the photos, and he saw one with a little girl smiling. The girl looked really adorable but even though she was showing that great smile, the look from her eyes showed a different emotion. Her eyes were showing sadness but Junho doesn’t know why. He looked at the back of the picture and saw something written in it. “Ji-eun, 6 years old. Holy Angels Orphanage.” Junho read. So that was where his sister stayed. His father only said that she was now studying at the biggest all girls school in the city. So maybe she was adopted by a wealthy family. He was thinking of visiting the orphanage and try to know more about his sister. He thought about asking Wooyoung and Suzy to join him the following day. He then continued looking at the old photos. There are lots of family pictures there but the next one he saw was the one that made him really cry hard. The photo showed his mother carrying a newborn baby. At the back of the picture, the words Mira and our Baby Ji-eun are written. He seriously missed his mother and he wanted to see this sister of his because she is the only family he had left. He stared at the picture for a long time before he started flipping the pages of his father’s diary.

 

The initial pages contain everything about Changmin and Mira’s love story. How he became close to her even if he was just a helper in their house. He was really poor and a neighbour brought him to the mansion to help as a cook. He then met Mira when he was asked to bring her food in her room because she was so sick. He was attracted to her the first time he saw her but he knew that a poor guy like him and a rich girl like her would never be able to be together so he suppressed his feelings and just tried being a nice friend to her until that one time when Mira was about to leave and study overseas, and Changmin couldn’t just let her go without confessing to her. Who knew that his panicked confession will be reciprocated by the woman of his dreams? Although she left, they promised each other that they will not see other people while they’re apart. They were able to keep their promise even after 4 years of being apart. Changmin’s diary entries were full of sorrow and longing for Mira but he expressed there that he would wait for her because she was his one true love and he wants her to be his first and last love. When Mira came back, they saw each other and realized that being 4 years apart didn’t affect how they felt for each other so they decided to be together, much to the dismay of Mira’s father. Upon knowing about their relationship, Changmin was fired from his job and had a hard time looking for another job as Mira’s influential father talked to other company owners and banned him from getting other jobs. He still tried looking for jobs and he already asked his parents to move to another place so that they will not be affected of what else was going to happen to him. When Mira found out that it was his father’s doing that Changmin couldn’t find a job, she threatened to leave their house and runaway with him. She was then locked by his father in their mansion but Changmin, being the nice guy that he was, was able to build some serious friendships with his co-workers when he was still working in the mansion. The friends he had there helped him free Mira and after that, the two eloped. They got married and had their first child, a baby boy that they named Junho. The family lived free of troubles and even after the news of Mira’s father’s death became the talk of the town, Mira didn’t even went to his funeral even though Changmin was forcing her to do it. Changmin stated in his diary that he knew how hurt Mira was to not be able to be by his father’s side until his last days of life but when he asked her to come to the funeral, she said she wouldn’t go there because the other family members present there will just blame her for leaving his father alone and point to her as the cause of his death. She said she couldn’t go there alone but she doesn’t want to bring Changmin and Junho either so she might as well not go. Mira was strong and she only cried once, that was after hearing the news of his death, then Changmin never saw her shed a tear again. Even when they visited him in the cemetery months later, she didn’t cry. She just apologized to her father and sat there for the whole day.

 

Junho continued reading the last part of Changmin’s entry, “I know Mira was so hurt and I can’t do anything about it. I know, partly that I was at fault for the death of the old man but I can’t bring it up to Mira because she’ll surely get mad at me. I can’t let her continue to be hurt so I just plan to do everything I can until she becomes the happy Mira, whom I fell in love with, again. ”

 

Junho held the diary at his hands. He thought to himself how great of a love his father had for his mother. He didn’t know why he didn’t talk about her after she died but he’ll be sure to find out. He hasn’t been in love like that before. And he sort of envied his father for being able to feel that kind of love. As he was thinking about this, Hyoyeon’s face flashed in his mind. He denied having thoughts about her but he can only fool himself. He hasn’t told anyone about his attraction to Hyoyeon but he knew he can never get close to her. Not unless he finds his sister fast. He erased these thoughts and continued flipping the pages of the diary until he fell asleep with it placed on his chest.

 

The following morning...

 

Junho was woken up by a honking car outside of their house. After a few seconds, the honking stopped but when he was about to sleep again, he heard knocks on the door. Since he fell asleep on the couch the previous night, he was the only person downstairs and he was obliged to open the door. He put his father’s things back in the box and stood up to open the door, as he was about to unlock it, Wooyoung came running down the stairs and said to him, “Good thing you haven’t opened it yet. You’re not dressed up. Whoever’s knocking might know you. Go up, now.” To which Junho replied, “I haven’t thought about that but thanks, I’ll go up now.” He started walking to the stairs and Wooyoung waited for him to get up before he opened the door. But after a few steps, he remembered that he forgot the package downstairs so he hurried down to get it but Wooyoung had already opened the door and the visitor and Junho’s eyes met for a split second before he rushed upstairs to hide. As he sat in his bed, he thought that the guy’s face seemed familiar, but he couldn’t recall where he saw him and he thought that maybe he was just mistaken and he lie down and pretended to be asleep.

 

Junho, you’re crazy! I asked you to go up then you came rushing down again?! This guy already saw your face. .. ’ Wooyoung got frustrated but then the visitor started speaking.

 

“Hi. I’m looking for a girl named Suzy Bae. Does she live here?” The guy asked Wooyoung.

 

“Who are you, exactly?” Wooyoung asked in an overprotective father-like tone.

 

“I’m Kang Yoseob. I work with Suzy.” Yoseob said.

 

“Why are you looking for her this early in the morning? It’s just 8am. Don’t you have other things to do?” Wooyoung asked again, using the tone he used before.

 

“I was just about to ask her to have breakfast with me before we go to the agency for work.” Yoseob said.

 

“Come in, I’ll call her.” Wooyoung said as he let Yoseob in and went upstairs to get Suzy.

 

Yoseob who was left alone downstairs thought to himself, ‘what type of girl is she living in this small place with males? By the way, I’m not sure about it because the moment was brief but I think that other guy was Junho. I don’t recall him much but I think that was him. How could he make this job so easy? We were looking for him and we had to use Suzy then he just delivers himself to us like that. Stupid like his father.’ He then laughed. 

 

“Why are you laughing and what are you doing here?” Suzy immediately asked after seeing who this ‘co-worker’ of her was.

 

“I’m here to ask you to have breakfast with me and then I’ll bring you straight to the agency.” Yoseob flashed his widest smile hoping to have an effect on Suzy but she didn’t even react to it. She walked towards him and he was thinking that she would go with him but he was shocked when she started pushing him out of the house.

 

“Yah! What are you doing?!” Yoseob asked.

 

“I’d rather walk to the agency with an empty stomach than come with you. You do not even work there. And those girls might think we’re together, which we’re totally not. Right? So, please leave. And I wish to not see you again...” With one last bow, she walked back to the house and closed the door. Upon getting in the house, she peeked through the window just to check if the guy left but he just got inside his car and sat there. He seemed to be waiting for her. She ignored it and sat on the couch. Then Junho and Wooyoung both came down the stairs and sat on each side of her. After a few minutes of silence, they started interrogating her.

 

“So, who was that? Our little girl is becoming a woman now?” Junho said.

 

“I don’t even know that guy. He just appeared in the agency and started pestering me. I’m not even sure how he found out we’re living here. I’m sorry for bringing a stranger here. I just hope he won’t remember you.” Suzy said, worried.

 

“Don’t mind it. I’d be fine. Wooyoung sort of covered for me.” Junho replied.

 

Wooyoung then butted in, looking from Junho to Suzy. “I’m not sure about that. I was shocked when you came rushing down again. Anyway, just keep yourself safe Suzy and if ever that guy hurts you, just tell us and we’ll beat him up for you, okay?”

 

“Yah! How could he hurt me? You’re talking non-sense! I don’t even remember his name. And besides I already have someone that I like.” she spoke to Wooyoung who was trying his hardest not to laugh but couldn’t control it anymore so he said, “You do like someone else...” pouting his lips to Junho’s direction but the other guy was totally not listening in the conversation.

 

Junho got distracted by Wooyoung’s laugh and he said to the others, “I’m sorry I’m spacing out again. So, who do you like exactly Suzy? Have you fallen in love with that guy?”

 

“No! You’re always like that! You never pay attention to me!” She shouted at him and ran towards the door.

 

Junho was dumbfounded but was still able to ask Wooyoung, “What have I done again? Can’t I think of anything else? Suzy always gets mad at me like that? We should talk soon.”

 

Wooyoung couldn’t believe that Junho still doesn’t know Suzy’s feelings towards him and before going back upstairs to sleep, he said to his buddy, “Junho, how could you be so clueless?”

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

why do I feel like this is a crappy chapter? hmmm. anyways, thanks for the comments guys. and  I would just like to apologie for the very few JunHyo parts. Don't worry I already have something in mind. And also I have another chapter written already, I'll just re-read it and update soon. ENJOY!!! :D