Chapter 18

MISSter mystery [hiatus]

 

He wasn’t too sure but Junho had this feeling that he made a horrible deal with a creepy person. Seeing that he already didn’t believe their scheme, how can he be sure that if he sees them together, that gardener will buy his story? If it wasn’t too late at night and his buddy didn’t need rest, Junho would have called Wooyoung already but he knew that his friend’s rest is important so he managed to control himself and refrain from calling him. But he wasn’t satisfied with that deal with Kwon. If many things weren’t noted, he will just act the same so Junho decided to ask the principal if he can switch to a room with another person in it so that Kwon won’t be able to bother him anymore. He knew that living with another person was risky considering he’s hiding his identity but with Kwon watching him at night, the risk was just the same so he’ll just take it and pray that he won’t be found out before he succeeds in his mission.

 

The following morning...

He got ready and asked to talk to the principal regarding his room concerns. Before he left, he found out that he was right. Kwon really won’t stop bothering him. He figured this out because he saw a bouquet of flowers inserted in the window rails. ‘That guy, though smart, is just seriously annoying.’ Junho thought as he head out of the door.

 

He went straight to the principal’s office and made some horrible excuse as to why he wanted to be transferred to another room.

 

“Principal. I’m sorry to be troubling you again regarding my room assignment but I really want to be transferred to a room where I could have a roommate. It’s just that I hate the feeling that someone was staring at me at night when I sleep. That room where you placed me was kinda scary.” He acted out scared as he said this and the principal seemed to believe in his drama.

 

“Okay. I’ll look into it and call you later.” The principal said.

 

“Thank you so much again.” Junho said.

 

“Don’t thank me so much because I still owe you after those horrible things I have said. Go to class now.” The principal replied once again.

 

A few hours later...

Junho found himself sitting at the principal’s desk again. The older woman began talking.

 

“I called you because I have already made arrangements for your room transfer. By the way, I called for your new roommate here. She’ll be arriving soon.” The principal said and after she finished, they both heard knocks on the door.

 

The person who entered the room placed a shocked expression on Junho’s face. ‘This couldn’t be happening.’ He thought. Then he heard the principal spoke again.

 

“You’ve probably heard that Teacher Sunny had submitted her letter of resignation this morning because she has now decided to embark on another wonderful phase of life. Marriage is such a wonderful thing. Back to my point, Hyoyeon here was Sunny’s roommate and with her delparture from the school, Hyoyeon only now has their room to herself. I hope you can be good friends with each other. If you don’t have any more concerns, you may start transferring to your new room Yoon-hee.” She said, signalling the two to leave already.

 

 “Thank you Principal Oh.” Junho said and walked to the door.

 

As they went out, the empty hallway was filled with tension. It’s as if some bomb is waiting to explode. Junho didn’t know exactly how to react. He just knew that being on the same room with this person will completely make him even more insane. But he was left with no choice so he had to do this. But still, he had to think of a way to make her stay away because two bad things might result from them getting too close to each other. These two things are, her figuring out who he really is and him falling in love with her. He can’t let both things happen so he had to devise a plan. And as of now, the only plan he can think of is just be rude to her and make her think that he still hates her because she might be easy to be friend with seeing how she is to other people except to him. So the first part of the plan is to let her know how he feels. So he started speaking as they arrived at the room.

 

“You know what? We may be roommates and all but I still do not want to be friends with you. So just keep away from me.” He said and didn’t even wait for her to speak. He left and went to get his things from his previous room.

 

As her new roommate left, Hyoyeon can’t do anything but be sad. She thought that they can start anew through this but she was wrong and she suddenly missed Sunny even if she moved just a few hours ago. She was still having awkward feelings towards Yoon-hee for the kiss that they shared. She tried getting it out of her mind but there are really moments when all she can do is think about it. She was shocked at first to find out that they will be roommates because that would feel even more awkward but she doesn’t want any enemy so she thought of befriending her and with what was said to her earlier, she now knew that they can never be friends and probably that’s just a good thing because she will just always remember that kiss every time she looks at her co-teacher’s face. Probably this happening is for the better. And even if it’s not, she still has to think this way so as not to make herself feel bad.

 

So that day, whenever they pass each other on the hallways and on the rooms, all they did was try and ignore each other. Though both were uncomfortable, they couldn’t do anything about the circumstances so they just flowed with it. When night time came, their room was filled with an uncomfortable silence and Junho just kept arranging his things in the room. He wanted to give Hyoyeon a hard time but he doesn’t know how to be rude so he just tried to ignore her and be a bit critical on whatever things she does.

 

It was almost midnight and Junho was about to sleep, but Hyoyeon was not on her bed yet and he found her in lying in a mat on the floor doing some sort of exercise. He was amazed to see this because he hasn’t observed something like this before, not even with Suzy. But even with his amazement, he had to hide within the shell he decided to form and he vent out some form of anger shower on her.

 

“Yah! Why are you not sleeping? This is the time to sleep and I can’t sleep with the lights on. We still have a class tomorrow. Don’t be inconsiderate.” Junho shouted.

 

“But Yoon-hee, this exercise can help give you a better sleep and a nice circulation as well. You must try it with me.” Hyoyeon said.

 

“No! I said I wanted to sleep right?! Stop talking to me and put off the lights so we can already end this stupid conversation.” Junho said again in a raised voice.

 

“But this is really good and Sunny used to do it with me when we were still roommates.” Hyoyeon said, trying to ignore the coldness of Yoon-hee.

 

“But I’m not Sunny and I don’t want to do things with you. I’ll be closing my eyes but I surely can’t sleep so please put off the lights as soon as you finish this crappy ritual of yours.” Junho said before he turned his back on her and pretended to be sleeping.

 

Hyoyeon was hurt really but she was sure this phase between her and her new roommate will subside. This might just be Yoon-hee’s defense mechanism because she inculcated in her mind that Hyoyeon was planning something bad for her. Hyo put off the lights and prayed that this phase will be over soon. She wanted to ignore this person because of the weirdness she feels around her but this isn’t the right way to treat someone who was repenting their sin. Hyoyeon went to sleep feeling bad. But it wasn’t just her. Junho also felt bad. He turned his back on her because if he sees her grave expression after his statements, he might just soften up and apologize. He was sorry for doing something like this to her, considering that he was sort of attracted to her but he just needs to do what he has to and besides he still has that deal with Kwon and if Wooyoung doesn’t show in a few days, Junho might just have to resign from the school. Before falling asleep, he made a note in his phone that he had to call Wooyoung and ask him to visit the school.

 

-----------------------------------------------------

 

Two days have passed and though Junho already called Wooyoung, he still couldn’t come because Shinyoung had a fever and Suzy was sleeping in a friend’s house for a few days because of a routine they’re trying to master. Junho feels as if every moment he’s alone, a clock ticking sound always plays. Just one more day and he’ll be Kwon’s lady! He was grossed out by the thought and it didn’t help that the said person was seen approaching him form where he was standing.

 

“Hey babe! Or do you prefer baby?” Kwon teased.

 

“Shut up. I still have this whole day before you can call me that. And besides, my baby Woo will be arriving soon. So don’t get your hopes up.” Junho said to him.

 

“Okay, if that’s what you say. Just look for me when your ‘BABY’ arrives.” He put too much emphasis on the term of endearment used which made Junho even more annoyed. He decided to call Wooyoung again.

 

“Buddy! You seriously have to get here. Now, I’ve been getting creepy messages from that guy. I really want to punch him hard on the face but I still need to keep my calm.” Junho said, in a slightly begging tone.

 

“I’m really not sure buddy but I will try my hardest to get there before this day ends. I’m really sorry to be putting you through all this.” Wooyoung replied.

 

“No. It’s fine. I should be the one apologizing because I decided to drag you in this mess and I’m obligating you to do this for me. I’m sorry buddy. It would be fine even if you don’t come. I actually can settle this alone. I’m serious so don’t be bothered anymore.” Junho said.

 

“Thanks for understanding buddy. I’m really sorry. I promise to make it up to you next time. I already have to go because I have to cook for mother. I’m sorry again. Bye.” Wooyoung said then he hung up the phone.

 

Junho was so disappointed. He knew he can get through this alone but he still needs a friend like Woo at situations like this. Little did he know that Shinyoung got better already and Wooyoung was planning a prank on him. The other guy will seriously come but still wants to make Junho feel scared. In actuality, Wooyoung was already preparing to go to the school. It was already 3 in the afternoon and in a little over an hour, he’ll arrive there and surprise his friend. Wooyoung was excited to see the look on Junho’s face upon finding out that he’ll actually save him. Wooyoung went out of the house and on to the bus station. Before getting there, he passed by a flower stand and decided to buy flowers for Junho to make a more romantic effect. He can’t help but laugh when he thinks that he’s being romantic to his buddy. It’s just so funny. And though people are starting to stare, Wooyoung just doesn’t mind them. He’s waiting to see what will happen in the next hours.

 

--------------------------------------------

 

“Suzy-yah! Why do you keep staring at your phone. You’ll be scared if that thing starts talking to you.” Jia joked.

 

“Yeah. I thought we’re going to make and practice a routine but you haven’t been concentrating. Waiting for your boyfriend to call?” Fei also teased.

 

“You guys just don’t get tired of teasing me huh?! I’m not waiting for a boyfriend’s call. It’s just that I haven’t contacted my friends in a while.” She answered.

 

“If that’s what you say. Let’s just rest for a few more minutes and we’ll rehearse again in 10 minutes.” Min, acting as their leader, said.

 

The other girls nodded and continued doing their own things. Meanwhile Suzy stared back at her phone. She wasn’t sure why she was holding this phone for half a day now. Wooyoung texted a moment ago and updated her about Shinyoung’s condition so it wasn’t Woo she was waiting for. Who exactly was she waiting for? It couldn’t be Junho because she hadn’t talked to him in a long while and she has no plans of talking to him yet. So, could it be Yoseob she’s waiting for? Since that lunch they had before he left for China, he hasn’t called or texted her yet considering that he already had her number. That guy was like a breath of fresh air for her. Before being friends with Yoseob, the only two guy friends she had were both different, one was quiet and mysterious while the other was lovable and hateful both at the same time. So having someone as fun-loving as Yoseob, she sort of missed laughing at his jokes. ‘Maybe he’s too busy with work. It’s alright. I just hope he calls soon.’ She said to herself and although not knowing where this kind of feeling comes from, she went straight to her stuff, put her phone away and went straight back to the dance floor.

 

----------------------------------------------

 

Junho was walking near the school gates it’s almost 5 in the afternoon and the classes have ended about half an hour ago. He knew that Wooyoung won’t come but he wanted to stay near the gates to make Kwon think that he’s still expecting someone to come. He was standing there when he heard someone talk.

 

“So, I guess you’re guy isn’t coming and you’re mine now?” Kwon said as he came from behind Junho.

 

“Yah! Stop that. Okay? I want to be friends with you. I really do. You were the first person here who made me feel welcome but these feeling you have for me, I can’t accept it. I already have someone else in my heart.” Junho said as his last words to make amends with Kwon.

 

“Why are you saying this now? Are you admitting to losing the deal? Because if that’s the case, I’m going to announce at this place that I’m your boyfriend now.” Kwon said.

 

So, this guy won’t really stop! I can’t do anything else but to accept him. I seriously have no choice.’ So Junho decided to raise the white flag. “Okay. Maybe he won’t come and I have no choice but to...” As he is finishing his sentence, Wooyoung came inside the campus panting.

 

“Baby, I’m so sorry I was late. There was a traffic jam nearby and I just ran to get here. You haven’t even been answering my calls. You silly girl! Always making me worry. I thought something already happened to you.” Wooyoung said in between breaths.

 

Junho felt like crying. His buddy didn’t let him down. He hugged Wooyoung due to excessive happiness and Kwon just looked at them. The touched expression on Junho’s face was mistaken as longing for the other man. So Kwon waited for them to break the hug and said to Yoon-hee, “So, he’s real and not just some pretend guy? I’m sad because I can’t have you but seeing you so happy upon seeing this person here, I guess I just have to be happy for you. And also I’m sorry for acting like that. I probably scared you. I also don’t know why I was like that but I just thought about it and I really am sorry for scaring you. So,friends?” He then offered his hand for Junho to shake and he did. Then Kwon turned to Wooyoung, “Hey there! Just don’t hurt her because if you do, I’ll hunt you down.” With one last look he left the ‘couple’.

 

“Wow! How did we make him leave? What just happened here?” Junho was dumbfounded.

 

“Seriously buddy. Even myself, I believed the act. What’s with you? You weren’t acting?” Wooyoung asked.

 

“I wasn’t acting. I was just so shocked to see you here because I hadn’t expected you to come. You seriously surprised me. I thought Aunt wasn’t well. How come you’re here?” Junho explained.

 

“Okay. I was actually going to surprise you because mother has been feeling better already. I wanted you to think that I won’t help you. And I think now that when you were surprised to see me, you hugged me and you’re emotions just show that’s why we were able to make him believe that we have a thing for each other. I was seriously scared that he will ask us to kiss and we wouldn’t know what to do. Haha.” Wooyoug said and laughed so hard at the last part of his statement.

 

Even Junho laughed so hard at that last thought. Then he said, “So, this calls for a celebration. I guess? Why don’t you try to call Suzy and let’s eat dinner outside? I’ll just go get changed.” Junho said before he left.

 

Wooyoung remained standing there and decided to call Suzy.

 

“Hey, Woo! Why did you call?” Suzy asked as she answered her phone.

 

“Suzy-yah! Are you still training? Do you want to have dinner with me and Junho. We’ll share some nice story to you. Please say yes because today seems like a good day for Junho and we couldn’t just let him down.” Wooyoung said and not even waiting for the other person on the line to speak, he continued. “We’ll see you at the bus stop near our previous house. See you there in an hour. Bye!” Then he hang up the phone.

 

He was wondering what was taking Junho so long and he was already tired of standing so he decided to sit at a near bench. He was observing the almost empty school when two familiar female figures approached him.

 

“Woo? What are you doing here?” A teacher asked him. He probably looked confused so the teacher continued talking while the student beside her just kept staring at him. “You probably don’t remember us. I’m Hyoyeon and this is IU, my sister.” Just then he remembered them and apologized for not being able to remember them.

 

“Yeah! I remembered. I’m so sorry for that. I hope you both forgive me. You guys actually saved my life but I just forgot you. How mean could I be. I’m really sorry. I hope I didn’t get you upset guys.” Wooyoung said and a that exact moment, Junho came and was looking at them.

 

“How did you know each other?” He asked in a very serious voice that even Wooyoung hasn’t heard before.