Chapter 17

MISSter mystery [hiatus]

 

Wooyoung has been recovering from his injury and he’s been well. He had talked to Taeyeon almost every day since the accident and he estimates that it will be just a day or two before he can start searching for work again. Being on a strict bed rest made him feel even more tired so he dread the following days that will come so he can go out again. Aside from restlessness, he also became very observant during the past few days. When he came back, Junho already found a new place for them to stay and he immediately prepared them to move. Today will be the first day that his buddy will not come home. He decided to stay in the dormitory in the school where his sister studies so as to lessen the threat surrounding Wooyoung, Shinyoung and Suzy. The thing is, Wooyoung knew that during the last days since they would be apart for some time, the three of them should have bonded but they didn’t. He also noticed that Suzy always tried to get out of Junho’s way. Since the accident, the only thing he knew was that Suzy didn’t came home that same night when she left the house after getting mad at Junho. He shouldn’t be trying to understand the problem of those two but being in restless in bed for many days; he wanted to do something for a change. So earlier that morning when Suzy visited him in his room, he tried getting information from her.

 

“Suzy-ah! What happened with Junho?” Wooyoung asked.

 

“Woo, he decided to move to the dormitory because he knew that Aunt and I may be the next target of those attackers, whoever they are.” She replied.

 

“That wasn’t my question. And I understand those things. What I don’t get is why did you just let him go? You don’t have to hide what you feel anymore because I have found out about it a long time ago. I also happen to know that you were the first person he talked to about his plans of moving. And you just let him go, I just don’t understand what happened.” He said.

 

“Well, he said it was for the better. So who am I to try and stop him? As you have seen, I am not as important to him, so even if I tried to stop him, it wouldn’t change a thing.” Suzy lamented.

 

“But what happened to you? You always understood Junho. You never ask him for anything, you just care without asking anything in return. What’s with you? And where were you exactly that day that I had an accident?” Woo asked again.

 

“You know what Woo, I’m also human. I am capable of becoming tired and at this point, I’m already tired of waiting for Junho. The problem is my heart still wants to wait. I don’t know until when I can continue with this. I can’t completely focus on my training because this situation of ours always crosses my mind. As to where I was that night, I just couldn’t tell you. Well, not yet because you’ll just go berserk even if nothing bad happened.” She explained.

 

“You seriously have to tell me what you’ve been up to. As to what happened with you and Junho, I think I can’t squeeze any more information from you. So, I’ll just give you an advice that older brothers give to their younger sisters. Don’t fight with yourself. Just let things go through the way they’re supposed to be. You should always know that things happen for a reason. We shouldn’t always try to find the worst in everything. And though I’m not choosing sides, it would be great if you will cut Junho some slack. I mean, he’s been going through a lot and I am very sure that we’re equally important to him. So, you becoming distant from him, I’m sure it troubles him every single night. And we wouldn’t want to add to his troubles, right? So please continue understanding him. And try to focus more on your training. You can’t be cut from the agency because you’ve promised your parents that you’ll pursue this. I’m sure they’re guiding you wherever they are.”

 

Suzy stared at Wooyoung. She was guessing that this older brother of hers has been observing her during the past few days. She then said, “Thanks for always being concerned, older brother! You’re probably right. I’ll keep away from Junho now and when this hurt subsides, I promise to make up with him. Thanks for everything. I have to go now or I’ll be late for training. Take care! Bye!” Suzy said as she leaned down and kissed Wooyoung on the cheek.

Wooyoung now was happy that he had made Suzy reconsider the way she acts around Junho. That unrequited love of hers seriously ruins their relationship from each other. Upon thinking all of this, he wanted to ask Junho how he was so he decided to call him. And Junho immediately pick up the phone.

 

“Hey buddy, how are you doing? How’s your new home?” Wooyoung asked.

 

“Wow. Woo! I’m so glad you called. You’re like an angel sent from the heavens to help me with my problems.” Junho said.

 

“Whoa! You’ve never called me Woo since we’re nine. What’s up with you? Is that about the co-teacher you like?” He asked.

 

“She’s not part of this. Let’s not talk about her please. It’s the person I was talking about before. The gardener who seems to like me. He is now starting to be creepy... I was brought to my new room and I left because I still have a class. When I came back to start arranging my things, I went inside this romantic hell room with flower petals all over the floor and someone from outside of the window serenading me. I confronted the gardener and asked him to stop but he said that he knows I am single and he wanted me to accept him. He’s really starting to creep me out because he’s been talking about kissing me! Dude! How can I kiss him? I can’t even touch you!” Junho explained.

 

Wooyoung tried not to but he can’t help himself so he laughed so hard that Junho got so mad and hung up the phone. Wooyoung controlled himself and tried calling Junho again.

 

“What’s with the attitude? I’m sensing that you need me to be your pretend boyfriend but you just hung up on me?” Wooyoung said.

 

“I’m sorry buddy. It’s just that I’m really not in the mood for jokes today. I’m a bit sensitive, you know? But I seriously need you to be my pretend boyfriend. So here’s what I’m planning to do. I know you’re still weak and all so I was thinking that we can try you talking to him and introducing yourself as my boyfriend and we’ll see how he reacts and let’s just hope he stops bothering me.” Junho explained again in detail.

 

“Okay. I’m cool with that. I hope he buys the act so that I wouldn’t have to go to your school and show my face as your sweet boyfriend. Ha!” Wooyoung said.

 

“Yes baby! I’ve missed you so much? When will you come home? I want to see you soon. You shouldn’t have gone that long. No, but 2 days is like a lifetime if I can’t see your handsome face.” Junho said sweetly. He was asking his buddy for a favour when he saw that Kwon was coming near him. This would be the right time for him to execute his plans so he started talking sweetly to Wooyoung.

 

“So, I’m guessing your suitor’s around? By the way, buddy, that girly voice is also creepy. If Taeyeon finds out about this, she’ll come home from America and slap you in the face. Haha! Okay, let me talk to him.” Wooyoung joked.

 

 “Why would you say such things? You’re the only one I love. You’ll be my first and last love! By the way baby, I would like you to meet someone.” He said and walked towards Kwon.

 

“Yoon-hee?” Kwon said.

 

“Yes, please talk to the person on the phone.” He said and gave the phone to Kwon, who looked at the number and saw a boy’s name. After seeing the name on the screen, his face turned grim but he still talked to the other person on the line.

 

“Hello. This is Kwon.” He introduced himself.

 

Wooyoung was trying so hard to suppress his laughter and he managed to say in a straight voice, “Hi, I’m Jang Wooyoung. I happen to be Junho, I mean, Yoon-hee’s boyfriend. I wasn’t around to help her move because I was out of town looking for a job. I believe you helped her? Thanks for that. And I hope you wouldn’t give my baby such a hard time.”

 

“Yeah. I guess I helped her. I wouldn’t give her a hard time. It was nice talking to you, I hope we can meet each other in person. You seem like a nice guy and you seem to take care of my woman, I mean, Yoon-hee well. By the way, I have to go now because I still have work to do. Bye.” He said and passed the phone to Junho then ran away.

 

“Whoa! Buddy, what did you just say to him? He passed the phone to me immediately and ran away.” Junho said quite amazed.

 

“Nothing. I just introduced myself, said I was your boyfriend but I wasn’t able to help you move because I haven’t been in town. You think he really bought it?”  Wooyoung asked.

 

“Well, I think so and I hope so too. Why did you call me anyways? What’s up? Are you getting better?” Junho said.

 

“Yes, I’ve been better. I already memorized all the corners of this room because I’ve been staying here for quite a while now. I would like to ask about Suzy, would you mind?” Wooyoung asked.

 

“It’s good to hear that you’re fine. About Suzy, I really don’t know what has gotten into her. She wasn’t like that before. And since that night that she didn’t come home and you met the accident, she started to change. I tried asking her but she didn’t say anything and just got me more confused. I seriously wanted to know what happened to her and why she was acting this way but it was obvious that she wouldn’t give me anything so I just let it go but I sort of beg her to clear her mind and tell me what’s bugging her as soon as possible. Did she tell you anything?” Junho asked Wooyoung.

 

“I tried talking to her and she said that she’ll talk to you soon. Just try to understand her and don’t be bothered so much because you won’t be able to find your sister. ” Woyoung said again.

 

“Thanks buddy! You’ve helped a lot already and you never seem to get tired of helping me. Thank you so much. You rest now so that you’ll be well soon. And I also have a class so I also got to go. See you!” Junho said and he hung up the phone.

 

When Wooyoung put his phone by his bed side table, he can’t help but smile because he was able to help his friends with their troubles. He always does that. Other people think that of the three, he’s always up to no good but if you happen to look closer, he’s the most mature of the three because Junho is so distant because he has attachment problems while Suzy is too emotional. Those two have extreme characters and attitudes and he’s the one that balances them both. He’s just happy to think that everything in his life seems good. Even his relationship with Taeyeon seemed flawless. They haven’t had fights and even if they knew that having a long distance relationship is such a great risk, they already managed to pull it off. He slept happily after having these happy thoughts.

 

--------------------------------

 

At a restaurant near the agency, Suzy was surprisingly having fun while eating lunch with the stranger. Well, she shouldn’t call him that because she now started to acknowledge that his name was Yoseob. He seemed like a nice person and she’s laughing at all his jokes. She has never felt this nice before since she had those fights with Junho. She knew she should be having fun but when she remembers Junho, she just can’t help but be said. She thought she hid it well but apparently, Yoseob was too observant and asked her about what made her sad.

 

“Hey! Why became sad all of a sudden? You’re happy moments ago. What happened?” Yoseob asked.

 

“Nothing. I just thought of someone.” She replied.

 

“So, don’t think of that person anymore so you wouldn’t be sad. Just look at me and be happy.” He then made a funny face which made Suzy laugh.

 

“Yah! Stop it already. I’m happy again, ok? My stomach hurts because of so much laughing. I’ve never laughed like this before in a long time.” Suzy said.

 

“At least, I made you laugh. So I guess we’re friends now? You know, I never had any real friends before. Some of them only befriended me because of my status and connections.” He then became sad. It was true. He wasn’t bragging or anything but most of the people who tried getting close to him, only did that because they wanted his rich boy status and they wanted to be seen in the pages of the magazines where he was always featured.

 

“Yah! Are you bragging or what?” She said but then she looked at his face and he seems genuinely sad. It wouldn’t hurt for her to add another person to her growing list of friends so she continued, “Okay, I’m sorry for thinking that you were bragging and though I do not know how you feel, I’m willing to be one of your first true friends. I would also introduce you to some of my friends so you will know more ‘real’ people. That would be nice, right?”

 

Yoseob smiled and said, “Thanks. That would not be just nice, that would be great!” He then accidentally looked at his watch and saw that there’s only half an hour before the plane to China leaves. He politely asked Suzy if they can leave because he’ll be late for the flight. They went to his car and drove back to the agency. Before he opened the door for her, he asked her one last thing.

 

“We’re friends now right? So I guess it would be fine if I ask for your number? I would love to have someone to talk to when China starts to get boring. Would that be alright?” He asked her shyly.

 

Suzy smiled sweetly and said, “Of course! You’re my friend now and I wouldn’t want you to be lonely in that far place.”

 

Yoseob gave her his phone and she typed her number in it. The smile in his face seemed to be irremovable. He loved this day. He wouldn’t want to end it yet but he had no choice and he had to follow his father’s orders. Thinking about his father made him worry, though. He wasn’t sure if his father would just accept him befriending and probably courting Suzy for real. He will deal with this later but for now, before he leaves, he figured he should just savour the moment.

 

“Why are you daydreaming? Do you want to get to China soon?” Suzy joked.

 

“No. I just wouldn’t want to leave yet but I guess, I just have to.” He sadly replied.

 

“Yeah, I guess so too. And you only have less than 20 minutes to get to the airport so you should leave now...” She said and when Yoseob was about to get out of the car to open the door for her, she stopped him by holding his shoulder and said, “Don’t do that anymore. I’ll be fine. And you’ll be late. So go now... Take care! Have fun in China!” She then got off the car and waved goodbye at him before he turned the car engine on and went straight to the airport.

 

------------------------

 

Junho was happy for the rest of his classes because he knew that the problem with Kwon will be gone now. With Wooyoung pretending to be his boyfriend, that guy will surely move away now. He knew that he can now concentrate on finding his sister. He recalled the clues, a girl with the surname Kim and someone wanting to become a doctor. He already handled many classes and he now knows that many students fall under those criteria so he decided to take a good look at his father’s things later that night to try and find out more about the person he was looking for. As for Hyoyeon, he will not just think about her. He will do his hardest to find his sister fast so he can get off of his suit and confess to her.

 

Another day ended and when Junho entered his room, his bright smile remained because the room was back to normal again and there wasn’t any more change and weird surprises from Kwon. He was happy that the Wooyoung idea worked out pretty well. The thing that he was bothered he most was Shinyoung’s advice that even when he goes to sleep, he should keep that identity of a woman because he can never be sure if someone will come or something will happen and he might be found out. He thought his aunt was right and agreed with her. He went in to the bathroom, changed into his pink pajamas and wore the wig back then went straight to bed. He remembered that he will browse through his father’s stuff again in search for some clues so he stood up and took the small pouch and then went back at the bed. So he was looking at the diary but he felt too tired to read the things in it so he just browsed through some pages, he find some stories that might help him and put some marks on them so that it’ll be easy to locate them later on. He again looked at the bag and saw the small box. He opened it and saw a necklace. It was a gold necklace with a half moon as its pendant. He saw a date on the box and to find out what was that about, he looked for the said date on the diary. He was lucky to have found the page in no time and he read through it.

 

I bought a necklace as a gift to Mira. It was actually a couple necklace. It has a interconnected sun and moon as its pendant. I was just walking on my way to the market to buy some fruits that Mira craved because of her pregnancy when I passed by the jewelry store and saw this piece of jewelry. The actual pendant was placed together in one necklace but it can be separated so I decided to buy another lace and put the other pendant there. I gave her the one with the sun in it saying that she brought light to my life and I told her what the moon and myself represent. I told her that I will be her moon because I want to provide her with light in the times when it is supposed to be dark. It represents me, always being there for her even if she can’t see me. She immediately teared up after I said all these things but it may seem untrue but I do mean it and I was happy to have made her cry tears of joy and not those tears of sorrow that she has been shedding for quite a while now.

 

Junho smiled after reading this. His father really loves his mother so much and even if they are not with him, he can still feel their sincere love for each other. He now wondered where he had seen a necklace with a sun as its pendant. He clearly remembers seeing it somewhere. He tried browsing through the old pictures again and there it was. He finally knew where he saw it. He stared at the picture. It was Ji-eun’s picture at the orphanage. They gave it to her before she was taken away. Now he has found a pretty narrowed down clue to be able to look for his sister.

 

The weird thing was, while he was doing all of those stuff. It felt as if someone was watching over him. It’s as if there were eyes surveying at his every move. He thought at first that it could be just his parents looking over him but as the time passed, the feeling gets more real. It was really as if he can hear someone breathing while looking at him. He wasn’t and has never been a fan of the horror films you get to watch on the television so it was quite scary for him to be feeling that way. Yet, he chose to ignore it and just lied down in his bed. He closed his eyes but he still couldn’t sleep. He turned and he accidentally opened his eyes. He was flustered by what he saw.

 

He was shocked when he saw Kwon standing on the window and watching him. He got up from the bed and went to him.

 

“What exactly are you doing here at this time of the night? And how long have you been there?” He asked.

 

“I-I-I-I wa-wasn’t here for a long time...” He stuttered, which made Junho believed that he was lying and has been watching the whole time, then he continued, “... I just came and was checking on you before I go to sleep. You see, I live near you. I sleep in that place there.” He said and he pointed to a small house a few feet away.

 

Junho followed where Kwon said he lived. And surprisingly, he really lived near to him. It was becoming bothersome so he said.

 

“I thought my baby Woo has told to get away from me. Why are you still following me?” Junho asked.

 

“You know what? Until I haven’t seen this baby Woo of yours, I wouldn’t believe you two are dating because you wouldn’t entertain my feelings for you if you truthfully have a boyfriend. So I was guessing that you picked some friend and ask him to talk to me.” Kwon explained to him.

 

Wow, he isn’t as dumb as he looked.’ Junho thought. Then he said, “And when did I entertain you? I thought you were trying to be friendly since I’m new here. I didn’t know you had those intentions. But since you already thought that way and I can’t make you change that, I suggest we make a deal.”

 

“What deal?” Kwon asked.

 

“If I will be able to bring my baby here and make you believe that he isn’t someone I just picked and say to be my boyfriend, you will leave me alone right? But let’s make this happen soon. Leave me alone for three days and then I will bring my baby Woo here for you to see him and us as a couple. If we weren’t able to make you believe we’re real then I’d date you. I swear!” Junho said desperately.

 

Kwon seemed to be considering it. Then he said, “Okay. You have a deal.” He smiled then went away.