Chapter 13

MISSter mystery [hiatus]

 

IU went to the mall to buy a pair of running shoes for her hurdles training. She was browsing through a stall of running shoes when she saw a man who was walking on a weird manner. The man seemed weak so she approached him. She saw that his shirt was drenched in blood. She immediately went up to him and asked him.

 

“Excuse me, mister. I think you’re bleeding. Are you okay?” IU asked.

 

“I... I...” The man was trying to say something but even before finishing his sentence, he collapsed in front of IU.

 

People from the mall helped IU and brought the man to a hospital. Everyone thought the man was with IU so they left her with him. She didn’t know what to do. She wanted to call her mom but she knew how the older woman will make a big deal out of this, so she decided to call her sister.

 

“Sis, something happened. I’m at the hospital.” IU said.

 

“What? What happened? Are you alright? What hospital is that?” Hyoyeon asked. She was already panicking.

 

“Don’t panic sis. It’s not me. I was at the mall buying a new pair of shoes when I saw this man bleeding. I approached him and he fainted in front of me. People from the mall thought I was with him so they left me in the hospital with him. Can you come here and help me? I don’t know what to do. They gave me his wallet and I saw an ID that said the guy’s name was Jang Wooyoung. I tried calling the person to contact in case of emergency but the phone of the other person was turned off. This mister’s phone was also off. I guess it ran out of battery. And he’s still unconscious. Come here now, please.” IU pleaded.

 

“Okay. IU, don’t panic. Just stay there. I’ll first make a call to mom because she might get worried. I’ll tell her you went to a friend’s house okay. Stay there. I’ll be there probably tomorrow morning. I’ll bring you some of my clothes. I’m really sorry I can’t be there sooner because it is Sunny’s wedding and I didn’t know why it had to be held out of town. I’ll try my hardest to get there as soon as possible. You are at the City General Hospital right? I’ll get to you tomorrow and just call me if anything happens okay? Bye.” Hyoyeon said as she hung up the phone.

 

After the conversation with her sister, she heard knocks on the hospital room where the man was brought. She saw the doctor come in and talked to him. ‘Doctor, what happened to the mister over here?’ IU asked.

 

“The man was stabbed. He lost a lot of blood and he needs to stay here for a little while until his condition becomes stabilized. It was also a good thing that he has the common blood type and we were able to do a compatible transfusion. He may be unconscious now but he’ll be back in good shape soon. By the way, I heard you weren’t related to him? Have you contacted the people who know this man?” The doctor explained then asked.

 

“I’ve tried calling them but I’ve got no response. I guess I’ll have to stay with him until he wakes up. I called my sister and she’ll accompany me soon. Thank you, doctor.” IU said.

 

The doctor nodded and said, “Just call the nurse’s station if something happens.” Then the doctor left, leaving IU staring at the man.

 

She was looking intently at the man whose face looked so serene as he was sleeping. ’Mr. Jang Wooyoung, what exactly happened to you? Please wake up soon. You’re family is probably worried right now.’ IU thought. She was very serious in wondering about what happened to this man that she wasn’t able to notice that her heart was beating very fast at the sight of the man’s sleeping face. “He’s quite handsome. Well, not that I’ve seen many men in my life. I just think that his face is very, how do I say this, well very attractive. Long eyelashes and puffy cheeks. He looks so cute while sleeping.” She said this without much thought. With one last look at the man, she went out to the cafeteria to buy something to eat.

 

The day passed and it was almost midnight but the person in the man’s ID hasn’t picked up the phone yet. ‘She doesn’t even bother contacting him. I wonder when Mr. Wooyoung here will wake up.’ With that last thought, she fell asleep on the bed side of Wooyoung.

 

Wooyoung woke up in a white room and saw the kid, who he thought was a boy but turned out to be a girl, sleeping on his bedside. He tried remembering what happened the previous day. He was with Junho, they separated and he went to the park, talked to Taeyeon, two men approached him, he was stabbed, hid at a mall, talked to this kid and out. He tried to take his phone from the bed side table and the battery was off. He wanted to call Junho or Suzy but there was no phone available in the room. He then checked the wall clock which showed the time as 3:43AM. He can’t wake the kid up because she’s probably tired from the day before so he just let her continue sleeping. He felt a bit weak, as well, so he went back to sleep and thought to himself that he will call either of his friends in the morning.

 

From the night before...

 

Junho went home late expecting a house that was already closed but he was shocked to find his Aunt Shinyoung still sitting on the couch. She looked worried and he wasn’t sure but he thought she was crying. He sat beside her.

 

“Aunt, what’s wrong? Where are Wooyoung and Suzy?” He asked.”

 

“I don’t know. It’s already past midnight and those two haven’t come home yet. I was so worried about you three. You didn’t even call to tell where you guys are. I thought you were all together but seeing you come home alone, I guess those two are not with you.” She said crying.

 

“So, Suzy hasn’t come back as well? She left this morning and I haven’t contacted her. About Wooyoung, after we went to the orphanage, we separated at around noon and we haven’t contacted each other as well since then.” Junho said and he was also starting to get worried.

 

He took out his phone from his pocket and tried calling both. Their phones were out of reach. Now, he’s gotten more worried. He left the house and tried looking for the two outside.

 

Also from the previous day...

 

Yoseob was still sitting in the car. Suzy hasn’t touched the bread but she drank the water. She hasn’t stopped crying. And now he’s starting to get worried about the girl. He called his father’s secretary to tell him what he saw at Suzy’s house. He wanted to get away from this girl soon. She seemed to be fun at first but now he’s starting to get the feel of more drama, even more than Nana’s dramas, if he tries to get closer to her. He continued staring at her when his phone rang.

 

“Oh, dad! What happened? How was the information I gave Manager Jung?” Yoseob asked.

 

“That was very nice information. My boys already went out and followed the guy and the girl that went out of the house. I heard that they also went to the orphanage. I didn’t hear about Junho but I think the other guy could lead us to him. My boys are still following them.” Hodong said and he continued with, “Great job son! I’m getting another call. I’ll see you soon.”

 

He also hung up the phone then he saw that Suzy already ate the bread. He was relieved by that then she stood up. He was happy because he thought she’ll go to the agency but he was shocked when she walked towards the opposite direction. He followed her again. She walked another half hour while still crying. She stopped at a small drinking place and went inside. Yoseob’s eyes went bigger.

 

“Is she really drinking? Wow! What type of problem is she having right now’? She seemed strong. I wonder what has gotten into her.” He didn’t come out of the car at first but Suzy hasn’t come out after 3 hours inside the bar. So he went inside only to see her dancing with so many men. They were touching her everywhere and she wasn’t even objecting. Yoseob was angered by what he saw and tried pulling Suzy out of the dance floor.

 

“Come with me now!” Yoseob shouted at her. He was really mad at this moment, he doesn’t even know why he felt this way. But he was sure that he wanted Suzy out of that other man’s arms right now.

 

“I don’t want to come with you, mister! I already told you to leave me alone. Why do you keep bothering me?” Suzy said as she continued dancing flirtatiously with the other men.

 

“Let go of her. She doesn’t want you around. Leave now, dude. You’re ruining the atmosphere. Right, babe?” The guy said as he turned from Yoseob then to Suzy who nodded at the stranger and got closer to him attempting to kiss.

 

Yoseob couldn’t control it anymore. He pushed the guy and they exchanged punches. Suzy, on the other hand, was pushed on the floor and just lay there. Yoseob’s lips was already bloody when he noticed Suzy lying on the floor, he picked her up and carried her to his car. She slightly woke up when already sitting in Yoseob’s car.

 

“Stop the car. I’ll go back to the bar. I still need more drinks.” She said. But Yoseob continued driving. “I SAID STOP THE CAR!!! I WANT TO DRINK MORE!!! STOP THE CAR OR I’LL JUMP!!! STOP IT!!! AAAAAAAHHHH!!!!” She shouted really hard which made Yoseob stop the car at the side of the road. He turned to face her.

 

“You know what?! I also don’t know why I carried you out of that bar!!! I could just left you there. Stop shouting!! My ears are going to bleed. Okay, you want to drink? Now, I already want to drink as well. So let’s drink together. I have a box of beer at the back. We’ll drink once we get to the hotel so please shut up now!!! You’re so annoying!” He said using an elevated tone.

 

Suzy believed that she was annoying after seeing Yoseob’s face after his outburst. She chose to shut up and planned in her mind that she will continue drinking once they arrived at the said hotel.

 

Moments later, when they got to the huge hotel room that Yoseob paid for, she started opening the box of beer. She took one can and drank it continuously which led Yoseob to stare at her intently. The silence in the room was broken when Yoseob spoke.

 

“So, what exactly is troubling you? I’ve been watching you since morning and it’s almost 10 in the evening now and you’re still acting like that. And those two guys you were living with, won’t they look for you?” He curiously asked.

 

“Yah. Stop asking questions. Drink!” She said as she tossed him a can of beer.

 

Yoseob had no choice but to open the can of beer and drink it with her. He continued asking her questions. “So, who are those guys you’re living with? The one that entertained me seemed like your father. A small but rather scary guy. The other one who I didn’t get to interact with seems nice. I guess. I bet their looking for you and if they knew you’re drinking with me here, they’ll probably kill me in an instant.”  

Suzy was getting more drunk as she downed another can of beer and because of this, she is now entertaining Yoseob’s questions. “Wooyoung’s nice. And maybe you’re right he may be looking for me now. He said that he’ll punch you if you hurt me. Scared? Don’t worry, you can’t hurt me, I don’t even recall your name. About the other one, that idiot! He is not a person! He’s a rock. A stupid rock. A lovable mannequin with no feelings! He won’t be looking for me because he doesn’t even give a damn about me. Am I not pretty?” She asked as she leaned closer to Yoseob.

 

The guy was shocked but sort of liking it. Getting the girl seems effortless at this point. He just smiled. Suzy leaned even closer.

 

“So you think I’m not pretty too! That makes you two stupid guys! I’m talented and pretty but you don’t like me!” She said as she was about to burst to tears. She continued drinking then walked away from Yoseob and into the window of the hotel. She stood there while drinking.

 

Yoseob thought to himself, ‘She seems so vulnerable now. Maybe this will be the time for my plan to happen. I want to leave her already anyway. It would be a very nice parting gift.’ As he was staring at her and thinking this, Suzy was finishing cans of beer faster than how she did it earlier. It seems like staring at the window made her think about her problems more. She made her way to the box of beer and was about to grab another one when she saw that the box was already empty.

 

“You drank it all. Go to bed now.” Yoseob told her.

 

“Can’t you talk with me until I fall asleep?” Suzy asked. Little did she know that she sounded needy by asking that and Yoseob’s control, which he wasn’t doing much to suppress, already shattered. He thought, ‘Needy. I have to do this.’ Then he smiled meaningfully before saying, “Come on, let us talk until you sleep.”

 

“Thanks!” Suzy said and she started walking, but she can’t walk in a straight direction and Yoseob noticed that so he said to her, “Stop, I’ll carry you upstairs. You’re so drunk and you might get an accident.” So he carried her and brought her upstairs. Suzy stared at him as he carried her.

 

“You’re handsome. Do you have a girlfriend?” the effect of alcohol in Suzy was really hard and she just says whatever she wanted to say at this moment.

 

Yoseob was also staring at Suzy right that moment. Everything turned into slow motion as he looked at her pretty face. He was confused. It was the very first time he felt that way with a girl. So he said the first thing that came to his mind, “Why? Do you like me?” Yoseob asked. He was sort of joking with her because he wasn’t sure what he was feeling right now but all he knew was that he was starting to have second thoughts on doing bad things to this pure girl. This has never happened to him before. Any girl he met wanted to be with him and they weren’t even asking him for anything in return, they just plainly wanted to be with him. With Suzy, it’s different. She seemed too fragile and he wanted to take care of her. Since that morning when she was crying on the street, Yoseob thought that she was full of drama but still he didn’t leave her. He saved her from the men in the bar and now he wanted to save her from his own self. He’s going crazy right now.

 

His thoughts were cut when Suzy laughed. “Hahahahahaha. You’re kidding right?! I just said that you’re handsome and now I like you? You know, liking a person takes a long time. I don’t believe in love at first sight because that kind of love is solely based on physical attraction. You should know first the true character of the person before liking and loving him.” She ended her short speech with a smile, which Yoseob noticed.

 

He thought, ‘Damn! She looked so beautiful when smiling.’ His mind was starting to wander off when he had this urge of mentally slapping himself. He wanted to do this because his mind wandered off very far away and he even had this thought of him courting Suzy. That’s so wrong because he never ever courted a girl before. And also he thought that the girl was right, there’s no such thing as love at first sight. He scrapped all thoughts when they finally reach the bedroom. Yoseob put her down in the bed and she started talking again.

 

“Have you ever loved someone?” She asked, to which Yoseob replied by shaking his head. “So I guess you’ve never felt hurt before? You know what hurts the most? You love this person very much and you’re willing to do anything for him but at the end of the day, you’ll know that he doesn’t even care about you.” She said as her eyes were starting to tear up.

 

Junho, you did all this to her? How could you be able to inflict such pain on her?’ Yoseob thought.

 

Suzy continued, “I was willing to do everything for him. I even waited for him for nine years. What kind of stupid person does that? I devoted those times for him and when he came back, he never saw me as a woman. I’m just like a stupid little sister to him. Maybe a stupid little pet because I just follow him around. It’s frustrating but you cannot hold people’s hearts and manipulate it for them to like you.”

 

“Don’t say that. You’re not stupid and definitely not a pet. You’re a beautiful person, inside and out. I happen to know you for a few days but I know you’re not bad or stupid or anything like that. So you should never think of yourself that way.” Yoseob comforted her.

 

“Thanks. And I’m so sorry for dragging you into this mess. I should go through this alone.” She said.

 

Yoseob couldn’t control it anymore so he leaned in to kiss her. The kiss was very gentle and supposed to be comforting to Suzy then after a few minutes, the kiss turned into a rough one and Yoseob laid Suzy on the bed. When he was starting to take off her clothes, he heard moans of pleasure and he became happy about it. Then something he didn’t expect happened.