35 RAINBOW

Send Me A Rainbow

tumblr_mlr6mdhX1u1qe983go1_500.jpg

Credits: Google 

 

“Kwangmin uh! Hurry up!” She screamed at the top of her lungs as she dashed towards the blue sea, kicking off her shoes as she went along and extended her arms out as though waiting an embrace. From behind, I watched as the strong sea breeze blew her neat ponytailed-hair into a slight mess, and  how the sunset painted her figure into a gorgeous silhouette.  “We should have come here earlier!” She nagged as she quickly took the bag I had out of my hands and threw it on the sand as she pulled me towards the water. Before I even had time to react, my pants were half wet from the waves and Min Kyeong was already knee-deep into the sea. We were on our way back from her father’s house when we passed by this beach on an unplanned detour. The sea spread across a wide distance and the sea was a shade of deep blue as it glistens under the sun. The waters were calm or as what MinKyeong would term as “soft”. Never fails to crack me up whenever she said that.

“YAH! Look I’m all wet now! I don’t even have any extra clothing! How am I gonna drive like that later?” I nagged as I trodded towards MinKyeong from her behind.

“Well you will dry up very soon.” She commented, not turning back as she continued to plod forward.

A cheeky smile spread across my face as I replied, “Oh yeah, Well then it’s only fair I’m not the only one with my clothes wet right!”  And with the I pushed her into the water and in an instant she was soaked from head to toe. Satisfied with my own doing, I let out a hearty laugh but before I knew it, she crashed her body onto mine and we both fell into the waters together again.

“YAH!!!! NOW MY SHIRT IS WET!” I complained as I splashed more water onto her.

“Well…” She smirked, “It’s only FAIR that I am not the only one wet throughout right?”

“Oh damn, using my words against me again.”

I can never win against this girl. Even without words, the way her eyes look into mine never fails to make my heart skip a beat even after all these years and for a moment, the world stops for us.

 

 

I smiled to myself as I recalled her beautiful smile. And for the longest time, I held the letter in my hands till I almost forgot it was there.

It was a refreshing spring afternoon. I stood by the sea and a sense of serenity overcame me. Laughter filled the air and in an instant I knew it was my children heading my direction. A smile crept on my face as I ran my hand through my hair and stared as the waves came and go and absorbed the cheerful laughter of my children.

It was my favorite place to be: By the beach with not much people and having some peaceful time. I unfolded the letter I had in my hand, my eyes taking each word carefully handwritten in the best penmanship.

It was a letter written to me by MinKyeong before her condition worsened. I stumbled upon this in the month after she passed away and I was looking through her drawers but was unable to read it pass the first sentence before balling my eyes out until months later alongside my children.

It was emotional then. We read, we cried, then we smiled. But it was this that got me going.

 

A grin spread across my face as I sat myself down on one of the benches, wind running through my hair as I began reading the letter for the nth time since I found it.

 

Dear Kwangmin,

When you read this letter I would have already been gone but that doesn’t mean I am gone for good. From afar, I would watch over you and the children and if God permits, I will be your guardian angel.

Kwangmin uh, Thank you for being a huge part of half my life and for bringing me happiness no one else can. I wouldn’t change it for the world. I’m sorry for leaving you and the children behind this early.

Let my leave take away all the unhappiness and sickness in this family. I hope you and the children live on for a long long long time, healthily and happily together. I’ll be watching you from afar and I won’t let you out of my sight. Don’t be sad for too long after I leave. It’s not a loss because when I’m there, I’ll be able to run and jump freely. I’ll be free to do the things I love. Although not by your side, I’ll be happy with just watching from afar. So don’t forget to be happy and cherish everything that we have.

Maybe one day when the children are older and they ask about how their eomma was like or if they ever feel sad about not having a mom by their side, remind them that I will always be there spiritually with them.

 

“If you want the rainbow, You have to put up with the rain.”

 

Leaving you guys this early was definitely not my choice and I am sorry to you and the kids for letting them endure such pain at a young age. But I hope that my departure will only mean that my family will become stronger people than they already are and to live on the life that I was not able to continue myself.

Perhaps there will be days where you’ll miss me. I hope that when those days come you’ll only remember the good memories that we had together. All the times we spent laughing and smiling together.

Kwangmin uh, all these pain will one day be gone. The Kwangmin that I know is the man who would cry over our loss. But one day, I hope to see my Kwangmin become a man stronger than he already is and not be sad but instead happy over the fulfilling life I have lived right up to my last breath. I will always be around. When I’m up there, I will send a rainbow every now and then to let you know that I am watching, that you are not alone.

Life is not going to be easy at first but I know you have all it takes to move on. The kids need you.

Maybe one day, I will no longer be the pricks in your heart. After I am gone, I hope to become the rainbow in the sky that you love so much and smile down upon you, giving you my strength. I want to be spring that everyone loves.

Kwangmin, you will do a good job with the kids and yourself and I know it.

 

I hope you always remember that whatever choices you make, no matter who you become I still love you.

And finally, from time to time, remind the children I love them more than they can ever imagine.

And Kwangmin uh, thank you for all that you have done for me. From buying me food since high school days, taking me out to wonderful places, and for holding my hair back while I puke. You have no idea how happy and blessed I am because I have you. My life has come to an end but this is just a start of a new chapter for you. Live your life as though mine is yours too. Life is precious, we probably only realize this on our dying bed so let my departure be a reminder that life doesn’t last forever so let’s make the best out of it.

 

I love you and till we meet again, I will always be in your heart and all of you will be in mine.

 

Love,

Your wife Min Kyeong

 

 

With a smile on my face, I folded the letter back the way it was and let out a sigh of relief.

 

Maybe things are not that bad after all.

 

I whipped out my wallet and with careful intention, stuffed the letter back in and slid the wallet into my back pocket again.

“Appa, are you reading eomma’s letter again?” a youthful voice came from behind me. “Do you miss her?”

I nodded and looked to my side where my two children stood.

I let out a laugh as I shook my head in disbelief. “Time really passed so quickly hasn’t it. In a blink of an eye my Mi Eun is already 16. Can you not grow up so quickly?”

Mi Eun cutely hooked her arm with mine and rested her head on the side of my arm.

Looks like this girl did not inherit my height after all.

On the other hand, Jun Hyun stood handsome at my height and with the same charming smile on his face, teased his sister.

“Yeah, 16 and already have a boyfriend.”

“YAH Oppa! Don’t say it so loud Appa and Eomma can hear you!”

JunHyun laughed, “Oh please, Eomma can see you being all cuddly and stuff with your boyfriend!”, to which Mi Eun responded with a slap on his shoulders.

 

That’s my children for you. Nothing has changed much. My children are still as jovial as ever and Jun Hyun just loves teashing his ….

“Wait what?!” I exclaimed in the midst of my thought, finally getting a hold of what was going on. “Mi Eun YOU HAVE A BOYFRIEND?! Yah why didn’t you tell Appa! What did I tell you about NOT dating in high school!”

 

I could feel Mi Eun shake her head as she let out a sigh. “I knew this was going to happen that’s why. But Appa you met eomma when you were about my age too right! So it’s fair. If you can do it I can do it too!”

This girl, she never fails to reason her way through with any situation, just like Min Kyeong. I ruffled her hair as I rolled my eyes. “Fine,” I mocked, “But you guys can only look at each other for 10 seconds at a maximum. You cannot hold hands, kiss, or hug.”

“Done that!” Jun Hyun chimed in nosily earning a loud shriek in return.

 

As my children ran off into the distant absorbed in their own activities once again, my head tilted towards the sky as I admired the magnificent rainbow that spread across the sky in a brilliant array. A wave of bliss overtook my heart and I felt it beat stronger under my skin. I knew she was always here with me. 

“MinKyeong uh, 13 years passed by just like that. How are you doing? Are you eating well and running about? Do you know what, I love you more and more each day. I miss you so much.”

 

And on days like these, I miss you more than ever.

 

Thank You Min Kyeong, athough our time together was short, but you are my spring, my rainbow and forever will be.

 

And that’s how we spent our 27th spring together.

27 Years and counting. 

 

 

Hey guys! So finally the story is over. It's been a long time and we hope you guys enjoyed reading this story as much as we enjoyed writing it! 

Thanks for all the support each and everyone of you have given the story. It really motivated us alot. 

SO through this story Send me a Rainbow, ultimately all we wanna say is that life is precious. Don't wait till its lost that you regret not cherishing it, be it your own or your love ones. It has been a painful journey for us losing someone we love which led us to writing this story because we know it hurts even more when you know that there is so much more that you could have done but did not. so we hope this story will serve as a reminder. :) 

And lastly, Be the Rainbow in someone else's life and naturally, they will become yours too. The world becomes a better place when we stop hating and start loving. <3 

 

P.S We are currently working on a new story (already) called "Reality of Reversi" and it is a BTS (방탄소년단) story so if you are a fan, or is just looking for something to read please do check it out! It is a romance story with a little bit of angst along the way. So if you enjoy reading these sort, please take a look! 

The link is below: 

'Reality of Reversi' 

http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/946211/reality-of-reversi-gang-romance-jimin-bts-jungkook-taehyung-btsv

Once again thanks eveyone! 

 

Love, 

YooGeum