31 RAINBOW

Send Me A Rainbow

Quotation-Elizabeth-Berg-death-love-sepa

Creditsarrow-10x10.png: Google 

 

 

Spring and Summer passed flashingly fast and without a know, it was already autumn. The wind outside started turning chilly and the temperature dropped with days.

But this was something MinKyeong wouldn’t know.

Her condition had worsened so much that she could barely even turn her head, which was the only mobile part of her body. Bedridden, she could no longer talk properly and could only force out single syllabus words with the best she could, forcing her to stay indoors during this beautiful season. All she knew about the outside world was what the children and I told her. And it was sad to see such an adventurous person like Minkyeong being confined to the four walls of her ward.

 

Sometimes when she was sleeping, her lungs and heart would even stop contracting due to muscle degeneration from her illness and on numerous occasions now, we thought we were going to lose her.

 

Everything was a blur. The last few months was spent shuffling between home, school and the hospital. Even the kids would come to the hospital with me after school instead of going home and stayed till visiting hours were up because according to the doctors “her time was near” and we wouldn’t wanna risk having her leaving when we were not around.

I could not even afford to take my children out to the beach to play during their summer break because I needed to be here, even when Minkyeong tells me otherwise, and could only rely on the occasional assistance my brother gives me to help watch my children.

 

Just like any other day, Youngmin and I spent the morning and afternoon with Minkyeong talking to her even though she cannot reply me while the kids were at school. It’s quite a tedious process and I never knew I could talk so much for hours straight. Just as I was recounting the time when we were little and Youngmin and I played a prank on one of our friends, Minkyeong’s lips cracked into a smile as she stared blankly at the ceiling.

Initally I thought that precious smile was because of me but Minkyeong began to mumble something as with much effort, lifted her right hand and placed it over her heart. Pulling myself closer to her, I could barely make out her sentence between her whispers.

“Let’s … go… to… kids… please.”

 

That caught me off guard and I shifted my eyes from MinKyeong to Youngmin who looked equally shocked as I was. Minkyeong knew very well that she could not leave the hospital if not she would fall even more sick and had stopped her whole fuss about going outside since then but her sudden request left me unsure of what I could do.

I knew very well why Minkyeong asked for this now. We all knew very well too that no matter how much we hope to have faith in her, she was not going to last the year. Unlike usual times where I would just reject and tell her to go out when she gets better but this time I swallowed all the remaining hope that she would make it out of this hospital on her own two feet alive and stood up.

“I’ll ask the doctor,” was all I could force out as I pushed back my tears at her plea and left the room to Youngmin and Minkyeong.

 

 

Within minutes, I came back with the doctor following behind me to our dismay.

Minkyeong and Youngmin was a crying mess and almost all of Minkyeong’s tubes were pulled out. I walked over to Youngmin crying in the corner, trying to be as calm as I could be and asked what had happened.

 

“She told me to pull it out. She said that she has to go to see her children before it’s… too late.”

 

“How could you?” I asked between gritted teeth. I wasn’t sure how I was feeling. Angry or just pure fear that MinKyeong was going to leave us soon.

But before he could say anything, I felt myself being in a faint state. Subconsciously, I rushed to Minkyeong’s side and, as though I was crazy, tried to connect back the tubes. “No, what are you talking about Minkyeong, I’ll go pick the kids now. I promise they’ll be back here and you can see them. DON’T DO THIS TO ME!” I screamed uncontrollably as my brother held me back and pulled the tube out of my hands.

Youngmin tried to calm me down as he hugged me from the back and prevented me from doing anything.

“But she will die without all these!” I countered as I turned to face the doctor. “Please tell me you are going to connect these back…” I plead as I felt my body turn weak and fell to the ground on my knees. “Please I beg you…”

 

The doctor shook his head slightly and finally spoke, “Just take her out to see the kids, when she’s back, we will try our best to connect them back. Just don’t take too long. Maybe 4 hours will be a good time for her.”

 

I knew this was coming but I just couldn’t accept reality when it is here. “No! No!” I repeated as I tried to get back up again only to be held by Youngmin.

“Don’t you get it? She’s hurting. She wants to let go. The only thing holding her breaking body apart is her love for you and the kids. But it hurts. She’s scared of leaving you behind, but she has no choice. Kwangmin uh, it’s time to let go. Don’t waste any more time. Take her to the kids.”

 

 

And finally it hit me. His words hit me.

Minkyeong was hurting. And I was hurting her more.

 

 

I turned to MinKyeong, as I watched her lift her right arm once again and rested it over where her heart was.

 

“… Kids…”

 

Tears fell again but I calmed myself down and released myself from Youngmin’s embrace.

 

“Please get her ready for me.”

 

 

Hello! Hope you guys enjoyed the new chapter !!! I guess you can tell the story is probably ending soon in a few more chapters. 

On a side note, I (Geum Min) finally got my own personal instagram account !!!!!!! someone congratulate me please because after years of not being active on like an international social media page and having to share our social media accountsarrow-10x10.png with like yoomin and stuff, I am finally allowed to have my own one! 

Follow me if you would like @babyk_ksoul

anyways please comment and subscribe and we'll hopefully update soon! 

 

Love, 

YooGeum <3