24 RAINBOW

Send Me A Rainbow

tumblr_mqjwl3mDB11ram1o1o1_500.jpg

credits: Google, Tumblr

 

 

For once in this long time she was sick, we found hope. We FELT hope.

 

“This is the new medication that had been produced. Are you willing to give it a try?” At the beginning of all these we would usually decline and the insides of me would be burning with anger. What if it doesn’t work? What if it caused her condition to worsen?

But today, those words never sounded better.

 

Maybe it was the desperation talking.

 

Without giving it a second thought, MinKyeong and I gave a unanimous “Yes”. Her condition has taken a turn for the worse drastically after our Busan trip and that has caused us to worry a lot, and now when presented with a possible new cure, we were willing to try everything. We were willing to take the risk. Nothing can possibly get worse than this, so it’s worth a shot.

Like a child who has been given a candy, our moods were lifted greatly for the entire day. After the regular visit to the doctor, we went grocery shopping and even made a detour on the way to pick our children to get some ice cream because we were an hour earlier than expected.

 

The past week has been really kind to me. First, we made a trip to Busan as a family and nothing bad happened. Next, we found a possible cure for MinKyeong. And not to mention, MinKyeong has miraculously been able to walk around for short distances, even though she seemed to have lost  some touch in her hands and her legs stiffening further.

 

“Why are you staring at me and smiling so much?” Minkyeong said as she set her spoon down and gave me a mocking look, like I was mad.

“Ah? I … err… you’re very beautiful today!” I said, unable to wipe the smile off my face still, “I mean you are beautiful every day!”

 

Because of MinKyeong, I have changed a lot over the past few years. I used to never have been able to express my thoughts well and saying such things to her required much effort for me to even force it out of my mouth. But now, with her condition, I have started to express myself more. As jinxed as it may sound, I just didn’t want to live with regrets. Regret not saying the things I should have said and not doing the things I should have done, because the truth was, she is going to leave me way before one can expect.

 

 

She gave me a short-lived glare and her lips parted into a smile, a soft laugh escaping from between and her eyes transformed into darling crescent moons. “I know that,” she replied goofily as she placed both her palms on her V-line, her sickly pale face was shaded with an unusual light shade of pink, which disappeared almost immediately after.

 

I love this Min Kyeong so much. The way she smiled at me like she was the happiest person on earth. The way she gets shy at every little compliment I give her, even after all these years. And the way she looks at me with so much love, like I was her world. Even when life threw her a challenge and a clock ticking away by her side telling her she hasn’t got much time left, she remains strong and then I wondered what I would do without her by my side, telling me things are going to be okay and to stay strong.

 

“How about let’s go pick the kids now and we can give them a little treat by stopping by the park. They can knock themselves out at the playground, while we … enjoy some fresh air?” I suggested, bending down before her so that she could get onto my back.

“Or freeze.”

“Oh come on don’t be a spoil sport. For the sake of our kids, let’s go to the park!”

“More like you want to play on the playground. Kid Kwangmin.” She commented as she hit my shoulder lightly before resting her body on mine and draping her arms around my neck with little strength.

Holding her carefully on my back, I stood up and headed out to our car. “Well it can’t be helped.” I teased.

 

Our 6th spring together was a special one because it was the year MinKyeong finally graduated from University. One more phase in life that we had gone past together.

“Kwangmin uh, what do I do? What if I don’t graduate? What if my results are not good enough?” MinKyeong hyperventilated and her voice gradually becoming more shrill over the phone.

“I’m waiting for you outside. Don’t be afraid. If I can do it you can too! Just maybe not as well as I did,” I teased.

“You barely made it with that pathetic thing you call your results.”

“YAH! AT LEAST I GRADUATED!” I rebutted.

“Arasseo…” She said forcefully.

“If you do better than I did, I’ll give you a piggyback all the way till you get home.”

 “OH MY GOSH IT’S TIME!” She gave one last squeal as though she hadn’t heard my previous suggestion before hanging up the phone after an abrupt ‘bye’.

I waited outside her school, the spring wind unexpectedly piercing. I pushed my fringe to the side and stuffed my hands back into my pocket. From behind, I heard consistent hurried thudding in my direction and without even turning around, I knew who it was.

“Yah, Minkyeong! You run like …” but before I even had time to turn around fully she took a dramatic leap onto my back and latched onto me tightly with her arms and legs, waving her results slip before my face. “… an elephant. Now get off me! You’re so heavy!”

In response to that, she tightened her hug around my neck from behind. “Didn’t you say that if I did better than you, you would piggyback me all the way? Now pay up. Look!” She waved her results slip before me.

“Chhh… You have so many Bs! I didn’t even get a single B!”

“That’s because you’ve got straight Cs and barely made it pass the graduation criteria.”

“Fine,” I finally gave in and piggybacked her out of school and true to my words, all the way till we reached her house.

 

 

Now, many years down the road, here I am, still carrying my wife on my back, although this time it wasn’t for a celebratory purpose. It was sadder, and tougher. But nonetheless, a part of me was happy. Because I could do something for her. And with her chest pressed onto my back, I could feel her breathing, I could feel her alive. 

 

 

Hey everyone! we are finally back with a new chapter. we are so sorry for not updating in such a long time but now that we are on our holiday we'll try to update as much as we can! Please do comment and subscribe and upvote and whatever you do. 

Oh and this is Geummin by the way. I am much better now :) Thanks to all who prayed. it really meant a lot to me. 

Alive and not dead yet ^^ 

Hope you guys enjoyed this really short chapter! we will most likely update another one tomorrow so do keep a look out ^^ 

 

From, 

YooGeum <3