Christmas in Kobe

Gotcha Number

C and D arrived in Kobe early Monday morning. It was the day of the concert and they would have gotten there earlier to line up but they got lost because neither of them spoke Japanese but thankfully a few foreigners helped them catch the train from Tokyo to Kobe.

 

 

They sat on the cold sidewalk along with over a thousand other ELFs as they waited in line outside the concert hall.

C: it’s...fu…freezing …..bbbrrrr

D: who…who would’ve…thought that it would…be colder here than….in Seoul?

They were both wrapped up in thick jackets but it still was freezing. Because they just did nothing but sit and wait for the line to move, they took turn running to the restroom and getting food.

 

 

C: I need to pee; I’ll be back in 5

She quickly ran to the public restroom at the side of the concert hall building. While she was gone, D tried to take her mind off the coldness by playing with her phone.

 

 

D219: what time do we get in? We’re freezing out here!

GaemGyu: well it just should’ve been C who would be freezing but since you were so insistent on coming, you get what you deserve

D219: *sigh* so what time will they let us in?

GaemGyu: do I look like the stage manager to you?

 

 

It was still around lunch time and KRY were still in the hotel. They were preparing to leave for a quick rehearsal before the show. Kyu was packing up his laptop and other game items into his bag when D texted.

 

 

D219: it seriously is freezing out here Cho!

GaemGyu: hey! You’re rude!

D219: whatever you have planned tonight for C, don’t mess it up

GaemGyu: change of topic all of a sudden

D219: so do you have something planned?

GaemGyu: I’m not telling you

 

 

C was washing her hands in the sink as she looked at herself in the mirror. She sighed a bit. She was in Japan for a KRY concert and it was all for free. She was really happy that this fantasy was actually happening but she still couldn’t figure out where the tickets for the concert and plane came from. D hasn’t said a word so C figured D had nothing to do with it.

 

 

After wiping off her hands with a clean piece of tissue paper, her phone rang. She cupped her pockets to look for it. She instantly smiled when she saw the name of the caller.

 

 

C: 여보세요 (hello)?

DH (Donghae): C-ssi? Are you in Kobe now?

C:  오빠 (yes oppa)^^ oh! You called long-distance!

Dh: 괜찮아 (it’s fine)~ I just wanted to hear your voice^^

 

 

C covered the lower part of her phone as she squealed a bit with excitement. Her voice echoed a bit in the restroom. She still spazzes whenever Donghae calls talks to her and she spazzes even more when he says sweet things to her.

 

 

C: do you have a schedule today?

DH: just rehearsals at SM then the members and I will have dinner tonight

C:  그래 (ah really)…have fun^^

DH: 내일 봐요 (see you tomorrow)^^ have fun at the concert~

 

 

C joined D again and they waited in line for a few more hours. It was finally time for them to enter and they couldn’t contain their excitement as they finally entered the place and waved their blue light sticks. They didn’t have the best spot because there were others who stayed the night to line up. They didn’t mind because from where they stood, they got a good view. C wasn’t too tall so she struggled a bit as she stood on her tip-toes to watch.

 

 

The concert was everything they could have dreamed of. It was D’s first Super Junior concert so she almost lost it as she waved her light stick and cheered loudly for the boys, especially for her bias who’s voice was much more amazing live.

 

 

Kyuhyun has done dozens of concerts before but something about this one made him more nervous than usual. As he stood in between Yesung and Ryeowook during one of their songs, instead of just closing his eyes and getting into his performance, he scanned the dark room. Fans thought he was just looking at all of them but he was too busy trying to look for her.

 

 

“Where is she?”

 

 

They did a few more songs until it was time for their last song. The boys sang their hearts out as the fans cheered ever so loudly. C and D couldn’t help but tear up a bit. Their voices were so beautiful. Hearing them live almost made their hearts melt. C’s eyes were focused on all the 3 of them as she smiled and tried to take pictures from where she was standing.

 

 

The place was slowly emptying out after the boys gave their final bow and bid goodbye to everyone. They left the stage and Kyuhyun stayed behind as he walked slowly with his eyes still on the audience. He watched them slowly exit the place and he still couldn’t see C.

 

 

D: OMG!!! That was the best concert!!! Thank you again for letting me come with you!!

The 2 friends were still spazzing. They couldn’t contain their excitement as they smiled widely and hugged each other.

C: of course I’d ask you to come!

They were still skipping out of the place but D had to use the restroom so she excused herself and ran in while C waited for her outside.

 

 

D just got out of one of the stalls when her phone rang. She already knew who it was so she smirked as she read his message.

 

 

GaemGyu: liar! You said you 2 are in Kobe!

D219: liar? Me? WE ARE IN KOBE!

GaemGyu: then why didn’t I see you both??

D219: that is the stupidest question I’ve ever heard. How could you have seen us with a whole concert going on?

GaemGyu: just bring her to our hotel in 45 minutes

D219: what hotel? And what about me?

GaemGyu: stop thinking about yourself for once, I’ll give you something to do

 

 

D just sighed as he followed his instructions. It was still a bit early, around 8pm and they were getting hungry. While walking to the capsule hotel they were going to stay at for the night, D knew she had to put the plan in motion.

D: wanna grab something to eat?

C: sure but we only have like so much money

D: I saw this cheap place on the way here

C: okay sure, I’m too hungry to even think of anything else.

 

 

The 2 friends went towards the main city where tall buildings aligned the big streets and lights flashed everywhere. Kobe wasn’t really a major city in Japan but it still had that urban feel. C was a bit puzzled because D said she found the place when they were on their way there but C didn’t recognize any of the place s they’ve passed.

 

 

As they grew closer to the hotel, C was just looking around because it was all so different from what she was used to. D on the other hand, took out her phone.

 

 

D219: we’re almost there. Maybe 5 minutes

 

 

The boys have just arrived at the hotel and they finally had time to relax. Their plane didn’t leave until the next day so they spent Christmas Eve resting in the hotel with their manager and staff. Kyu just came out of the bathroom in his room when he got D’s text. He panicked a bit because his plan was finally going to happen.

 

 

GaemGyu: go up to the front desk and tell the concierge that you’re visiting room 804

D219: and then we go up?

GaemGyu: no. you stay in the lobby and let C go up

D219: are you serious??

GaemGyu: it would be suspicious if 2 fans come up to our room!

D219: then what will I do down here??

GaemGyu: I called the restaurant on the 2nd floor and gave your name. You can have whatever you want in the buffet

D219: so while you 2 go on a date, I’ll be alone in the buffet? How nice of you

GaemGyu: hey! You weren’t supposed to come you know!

D219: but what will I do all by myself for 3 hours?!

GaemGyu: do whatever you want. The hotel is your playground. Oh and it may take more than 3 hours ㅋㅋㅋ

D219: if you hurt my friend I will literally come after you and I’m not joking

 

 

The hotel doors were opened for them as the 2 girls entered. There were a lot of paparazzi in the lobby and they were all just loitering. C had no idea what was going on as she just followed D up to the front desk.

D: room 804?

She thought she had to struggle with Japanese but thankfully the person at the front desk spoke English and understood her. She nodded at D and made a phone call. After the quick call, she pointed to the direction of the elevators as D and C followed through. There were bodyguards but the girls were let through after the concierge gave them the OK. C just followed her friend quietly, waiting for the right moment to ask anything.

 

 

D pressed the up button and walked away, leaving C confused.

C: where are you going? And I thought we were going to eat?

D: you go on up ahead, I have to make a call

C: I’ll go with you

D: no you go ahead, I’ll be quick. I’ll be up in a bit. Just go to room 804

C: if a murderer is waiting for me in there….

D: do I look like that kind of friend?

Before C could even answer, D pretended to get a call as she quickly left C still standing in front of the elevator. C was still confused but she was curious. The elevator doors opened and she got on. She admired the gold ts and the mirrors in the 4-sided enclosed room.

 

 

She had no idea what was going on but when it reached the 8th floor, she slowly peeked out before stepping out. There was a bodyguard in the hallway and he was huge. She just smiled a bit and asked where room 804 was. It looked like they knew who she was because they pointed to the room without asking any questions. She grew nervous as she played with the sleeves of her jacket. She pressed the doorbell but there was no answer.

 

 

“Okay no one’s home”

 

 

She was about to turn around and go back down to D but the door suddenly opened.

 

 

“C?”

 

 

The voice was familiar. She turned around again and almost lost her balance when she saw a tall man with light brown hair. His white skin literally glowed as he just looked at him.

C: 규현씨 (Kyu…Kyuhyun-ssi)?

KH (Kyuhyun): surprised?

C: I don’t think that’s the appropriate word for all of this

C froze for a bit. Even though the 2 have seen each other in person before, she was still in awe. The man she saw just a few hours ago, the man who sang like an angel was now in front of her.

 

 

He opened the door and invited her in. She hesitated at first but something in her wanted to go in the room. She followed Kyuhyun into the empty but messy room. He opened the small refrigerator and handed her a bottle of water as she just stood there silently. She had so many questions going through her head but she was still dumbstruck to put them out in words. He knew she felt a bit indifferent so he had to speak up to make her a little comfortable.

 

 

KH: did you enjoy the concert?

C: i….yeah it was fun

KH: you seem….a little different…I thought you’d give me a sarcastic answer like you’d usually do

C: I just need to step back and understand what is happening…I have so many questions

Kyuhyun sat on his bed and told her to sit next to her but she suddenly felt nervous. She just said that she was alright standing right where she was.

 

 

“She’s been standing for more than 3 hours, how can she be comfortable?”

 

 

He stood up and grabbed her wrist to force her to sit down on the bed. She was stiff but he was stronger than her so she had no choice but to sit next to him.

KH: questions like what?

C: i…uh…okay let’s start with the mystery tickets. This may sound weird but it’s a weird coincidence that someone gives me free KRY tickets and plane tickets

Kyuhyun could feel that she was the type of person who wouldn’t let things go and since his plan was to make some steps to being with her, he had to start with being honest.

 

 

KH: i…was the one who gave you the tickets…for the concert and the plane

She turned to look at him with wide eyes. He looked at her too because he felt she was definitely surprised. His eyes met hers and as he was waiting for her to say something, he just stared into her eyes. This was the closest he has seen her and she looked so much better up close. He felt something in his stomach fluttering and he couldn’t understand why.

C: you…you gave me the tickets? 왜요(why)?

KH: as an apology…

C: apology for what?

KH: for ruining your date with 동해  (Donghae hyung)

Since she and D became friends again, the little incident they had was slowly being forgotten. But when Kyu mentioned it again, it all came back. It wasn’t something she wanted to talk about again but looking at it now, it was kinda silly to be in a fight with someone over just that.

C: you spend all this money…just to apologize to me? 모르겠어요 (I don’t understand)….why would you do that?

Her questions were getting more and more specific. All that was left was for her to ask if he liked her, he felt cornered but he had too much pride to confess to her when she was clearly still with Donghae. He had to think of an excuse and he had to think of one fast because she was right in front of him waiting for an answer.

 

 

KH: i...i felt bad for how I treated you with the phone, it was just stupid

C: seriously? That’s it? I’m an ELF; I already know your personality is the way it is. You don’t have to pretend you care

 

 

“But I do care…about you”

 

 

KH: so you don’t like that I gave you free tickets? I just didn’t want you to be mad at me

C: I love the tickets. This was probably the best Christmas I’ve ever had but you really didn’t have to spend all this money on me

KH: well I already did and what’s done is done…speaking of money…

He reached under the bed to pull out a red paper bag and handed it to C. She was curious and surprised at the same time as she gave him a questioning look. He just gestured for her to open it and when she did, she didn’t know what to say.

 

 

She pulled out a KRY Promise You album. The album hasn’t been released in stores yet because it was planned to be out by the New Year. C looked at it carefully and looked back at Kyuhyun.

C: 어떻게 (how)? Doesn’t this come out next year?

KH: I’m the artist so I pulled a few strings. This is actually the first copy….ever.

C: 진짜 (really)? This is amazing!

KH: and it’s yours

C:  (what)??

KH: it’s yours. I’m giving it to you as a Christmas gift

C: you’re joking right?

KH: I may joke about a lot of things but I’m not joking this time

C: i…I don’t know what to say….why would you give this to me?

 

 

“Because I freaking’ like you!”

 

 

KH: I will answer that question after we have dinner

He quickly grabbed her hand and walked towards the door. Everything was happening so fast again and she had no idea what to feel. This was the person who became her teasing buddy but at the same time he was the person who sang so beautifully that it made everyone’s heart melt.

 

 

C: what about my friend D? She said she’s coming up to meet us

KH: no she’s not

C: what do you mean?

KH: she’ll be fine. Just come with me

They were in the hallway and on their way to the elevator and C had so many questions again like where the hell Yesung and Ryeowook were all this time.

 

 

D was standing in line at the buffet as she waited for her turn. She was really hungry to think of anything else but she heard a familiar laugh coming from one of the private room in the restaurant. She let her curiosity get in the way as she walked slowly and peeked through the door where she saw Ryeowook, Yesung and their staff having fun while eating. D suddenly remembered C so she took out her phone to text either of them but didn’t get a reply.

 

 

She felt a bit lonely but since she brought this up on herself for begging Kyu to let her come, she just had to deal. Besides, having everything for free at the most posh hotel in the city, who could complain?

 

 

C: where are we going?

KH: do you like Japanese food?

C: uh…yeah sure, any food is okay with me

KH: that’s good. You’re just like me

They were now in very expensive-looking restaurant which was empty. They took off their shoes and sat in the very quiet room which had nothing but a small table in the middle with two pillows on both sides to serve as their seats.

 

 

KH: you can order anything you like

C felt a bit shy to just ask for anything as she scanned the menu but her stomach growl got ahead of her and Kyu just laughed a bit. After giving their orders, C looked out the window and watched the snow lightly fall to the ground. It was so beautiful how everything looked peaceful. Kyu was going to look at the view too but he found something much more worth-looking at.

 

 

They enjoyed the quiet meal and C was slowly adjusting to Kyuhyun. Their jokes and teasing came back slowly and Kyu felt extremely over the moon. He was finally spending time with C and not just through the phone. She was everything he had imagined to be and even more. Every time she laughed, he’d just stare at her and observe every single detail about her. From the way she covered when she laughs to the way she tapped her fingers on the table when she was thinking of a random song. Something in his stomach started fluttering again.

 

 

KH: don’t laugh too much, air will get into your body and you will become fat therefore making 동해  (Donghae hyung) not like you anymore

C: ugh!

She threw her napkin at him as he dodged it with a huge smile on his face. He liked that she didn’t easily take things to seriously. She knew how to take his jokes and so did he.

 

 

She was having fun with him. It was like she was having a good time with a best friend. She felt comfortable that she could say or do anything without worrying about what he was thinking; it was like she was slowly forgetting that he was Cho Kyuhyun.

 

 

D was growing bored so she just sat in the hotel lobby and played with her phone. She caught up on all the tweets, tumblr blogs and fan accounts. She decided to make one about the KRY concert. She was enjoying herself that time passed by quickly.

 

 

C and Kyuhyun were slowly walking on the sidewalk while the 2 of them were wrapped up in thick jackets. The snow was showering over them and it was getting a bit strong. C was shaking a bit as she covered herself up with a scarf. Kyu could feel the cold too but standing next to C, he felt as if he was in Hawaii in the summer.

 

 

Walking side by side with cups of coffee in their hands, they found a small bench on a sidewalk. There was barely anyone around considering it was around 11pm already. The bench was actually the bus stop so they sat quietly while waiting for the vehicle to come.

 

 

C removed the scarf that was covering so she could sip on her coffee. Kyuhyun looked at her and her fair skin against the black scarf made her glow. He smiled a bit. All he could think about how much fun he had on his date with her but he didn’t think that she didn’t know it was a date. To C, the dinner and coffee were part of the apology and he was just being nice. The whole time they were walking under the snow, she was only thinking of Donghae. She wished she was sharing that moment with Donghae.

 

 

The bus came and they sat next to each other. They sat at the back and she sat next to the window. She observed everything as the bus drove through the streets. It was taking quite a while and because C was up since the crack of dawn, she grew very sleepy. Kyu was looking the other direction when he felt something lean on his shoulder. He turned and immediately when he saw C fast asleep.  He took off his scarf and draped it over her to keep her warm.

 

 

They finally arrived at their destination and Kyu shook C a bit to wake her up. He laughed because she had lines on her face because of the different textures of his jacket that she was leaning on. She quickly stood up and he followed her off the bus.

 

 

Even though it was late, the paparazzi were still in the lobby so they had to pass the service entrance again. They were standing in front of the elevator and there was silence again.

C: so…thanks for everything. The tickets, the album….if I didn’t know any better, I’d say you had a crush on me hahahahaha~~~~

Her sarcasm was heard by him a bit differently but since he already knew how she talked, he tried not to take it too much to heart. He just laughed a bit and faced her.

KH: so…I guess I’ll be seeing you back in Seoul?

C: I guess so^^ thanks again for everything~

There was a moment again as they were both silent and he stared into her eyes. There was just something about them and if he kept on trying to figure out what it was. Unfortunately for him, he was the only one who felt the moment. It was interrupted when the elevator doors opened and D suddenly appeared.

 

 

D: oh there you guys are. I think I’ve been to every floor of this building

Kyuhyun wanted to pinch D for ruining his imaginary moment with C and then he suddenly realized that this was what C and Donghae probably felt when they ruined their date.

 

 

They bid goodbye to Kyuhyun as they left the hotel. Kyuhyun quietly sat on his bed and lay down. Yesung was his roommate and he was just watching TV. He noticed the younger one so he had to ask.

YS (Yesung): have fun on your date?

KH: huh? 어떻게 알았어 (how did you know)?

The older one didn’t answer as he turned to look at the TV again. Kyu lay back down again and stared at the ceiling. He was both happy and confused at what happened.

 

 

“Was I just on a date?”