Can We Talk?

Gotcha Number

 

Her phone rang and indicated she had a message. She fished it out of her pocket and was surprised to see who texted her.

 

GaemGyu: why isn’t D answering my messages?

 

She looked at Donghae who was too busy smiling and breathing in the fresh air as he leaned over the railing. She was confused as to why Kyuhyun suddenly sent her a message and for once he had a serious question.

 

C_89: huh? Did you text the wrong number?

 

“Oh crap! I just texted C!”

 

It was too late to come up with an excuse but C was the only person he knew who was close to D and D was the only person who knew about his feelings for C. It was a confusing web he was weaving but he was slightly getting desperate about his feelings for C.

 

GaemGyu: i…uh...does it look like I texted the wrong number?

 

“Good. She’ll never suspect a thing”

 

C_89: oh okay…anyway, I have no idea either about D. she’s been very quiet lately.

GaemGyu: did you guys fight or something?

C_89: not that I know of. We had a great time in Japan and ever since we got back it’s like she became a ghost. I’m really worried about her

GaemGyu: I understand how you feel. Do think maybe we should talk to her?

C_89: I’ve tried but 동해 오빠 (Donghae oppa) suggested to give her some space

 

GaemGyu: are you busy now? Maybe we should meet and come up with a plan

C_89: well…

 

She looked at Donghae who was now busy having a snowball fight with Hyuk. She couldn’t help but smile as she watched the 2 play like kids.

 

C_89: I’m kind of on a date now

 

“Ugh. I forgot about her date with him”

 

GaemGyu: oh…maybe later then

 

There was silence. He was heartbroken yet again as he sighed and looked down at the floor while gripping his phone in his hands. Suddenly…

 

C_89: if you’re free this afternoon I think we can meet

 

A smile slowly grew on his face as he grinned and held his phone tighter. His eyes were glued on her last message. This was it. For the first time, they were finally going to meet just the 2 of them. Even though they already had a “date” in Japan, this was different. It would just be the 2 of them as it was originally meant to be in the scenario he had in his head ever since he realized his feelings for her.

 

He was spazzing like a school girl. He couldn’t contain his joy as he smiled so big and paced around the room. After calming himself down, he sat on his bed and replied.

 

GaemGyu: I’m free the whole day

 

DH (Donghae): C! Come over here! We’re building a snowman!

As she tucked her phone back in her pocket she smiled and waved at Eunhae who were enjoying the weather too much. It was amazing that they still had so much energy even after they had little to no sleep and they came from overseas.

 

She joined to the 2 who were arguing about how many balls of snow a real snowman had. Eunhyuk suddenly dumped a huge pile of snow in Donghae’s head which led to the younger one tackling him to the ground and stuffing the older one’s face with snow.

 

A little after half an hour, they decided to head home and finally get some rest before going off to do other personal things. It was the first day of the year and they didn’t have a schedule which was an advantage for everyone.

 

Donghae promised to meet his mom for the afternoon since they haven’t seen each other in a while because of the former’s busy schedule.

 

Eunhae brought C home before they went their separate ways. C quietly entered their apartment and it looked like D hasn’t woken up yet judging by the untouched glass of water on the table which she left out for her friend.

 

She peeked into D’s room where she saw her friend buried under the covers and sleep soundly. She quietly closed the door and went into her room. She lay down on her bed and looked at the tons of pictures she took this morning with her, still hard to believe it’s true, boyfriend and his best friend. She still couldn’t fully believe that she was in a relationship with her bias.

 

While smiling at their pictures, she suddenly got a message from Kyuhyun, who at the moment couldn’t contain his excitement about their meeting that afternoon.

 

It was a little before lunch and it worried C a bit that D was still asleep that late so instead of reading Kyu’s message she stood up but the second she stepped on the cold floor, her phone rang again and this time it was a call. She picked up her phone from the bed and answered it.

 

C: 여보세요 (hello)?

KH (Kyuhyun): oh. You didn’t reply to my message so I called and ---

 

He hit himself on the head when he realized he just sent the message seconds ago and she was probably going to answer him but he called right away. Too late to come up with a good excuse now. It was the first time he heard her voice again. The last time he heard her was when they were in Japan, he forgot how it sounded like a sweet melody to his ears.

 

C: 여보세요 (hello)?

KH: oh…i..Uh…what time were we going to meet again?

C: oh..i haven’t thought about it yet..

 

“So I mean nothing?”

 

C: …I was going to ask you

KH: i…do you want to meet up for lunch?

C: sure, where?

KH: I’ll pick you up in 30 minutes

C: you know where I live?

 

“How can I ever forget where you live?”

 

KH: uh…yeah…oh and can we not mention this to  동해 형 (Donghae hyung)

C: why not?

KH: just…I’ll tell you later

 

She didn’t understand why he wanted to keep it a secret. They were just going to talk about a plan to get D to start talking again but for some reason Kyu was being a bit cryptic. C didn’t want to lie to Donghae so she decided to tell him if he asked but if he didn’t; she’ll just leave it at that.

 

C peeked into D’s room once more before heading out and D was still in the same position, C moved closer to see if the latter was even breathing and she was, she was just still sleeping soundly.

 

Burying her boots in the snow as she sat on a swing in the playground, all she could think of was how they were going to get D back to normal. It was really quiet but she still didn’t notice the car that was parked almost 20 feet away from her.

 

Kyuhyun just sat in his car and watched her sit on the swing. He couldn’t help at smile at himself. She looked cute in her white jacket and blue boots. She looked like a little kid as she just sat there and played with the snow beneath her feet. He looked at himself in the rearview mirror and fixed his hair a bit. He sighed and cheered himself before taking a deep breath and getting off.

 

He slowly walked up to her as he tried to think of how to be smooth without her noticing his true feelings.

 

“Shut up Kyuhyun. You’re here to talk about D”

 

She turned around and saw him standing a few feet away and it seemed like he was nervous. He was talking to himself. She laughed a bit and he heard her so when he turned around he tried his best not to look stupid.

 

KH: did you wait long?

C: not really, so where are we going?

KH: shut up and follow me

 

“Good, good. Be snarky again so she won’t suspect a thing”

 

She just followed him to his car and they were off to a place she has never been to before. It was a little outside of Seoul and she was wondering what was going on. She felt weird.

 

KH: you grew shorter

He laughed as he stuffed a spoonful of rice in his mouth. They were in a small Chinese restaurant that was hidden away from the main road. It was like a neighborhood place where everyone knew each other. Kyu didn’t care about his image at the moment. He decided to go back to his smart-mouth self.

 

C: it’s scientifically impossible for someone to grow shorter but judging by the way you scarfed down that chicken you can grow wider haha~

KH: says you!

He threw a napkin at her as she dodged it which resulted in the napkin hitting the person behind her. Kyu quickly apologized to the man and proceeded to hide his face in his bowl.

 

C: so you wanted to know about D? ....out of curiosity, why are you so desperate to talk to D? oh…you like her don’t you?? You like D! OMG! Why didn’t I see this before?? You like her so you wanted to seek my help! Haha! I can’t believe I just figured it all out now!

 

He quickly stood up and slammed both of his hands on the table which caused C to stop teasing him. She suddenly looked scared because he just looked straight at her with a dead serious face.

 

KH: I don’t like her!

C: then…then why did you call me just to get close to her?

He sat down again to avoid the looks from the people who were all surprised by his sudden action. He put both his hands together and looked straight into her eyes.

 

KH: I don’t like D okay? I like someone else

C: but what does that have to do with D?

KH: she just has the answers to a lot of my questions

C: about the girl you like?

KH: something like that

C: so who is she? Maybe I can help…still think you like D though…you don’t have to be shy about it, it’s not like I’m going to tell her or anything

 

She kept on pressing that he liked D that he snapped. He slammed his hands on the table again and looked straight into her eyes.

 

“It’s you! I like you! Okay?? Happy??”

 

C: you…you…you what?

 

Suddenly a male voice repeated exactly what C said. And when they both turned to see who it was, they were all shocked.

 

Donghae was standing right there as he looked at both of them. He was frozen in his spot and so was C. She didn’t know what to do. Kyuhyun’s eyes were so big as he just stared at the older one who looked like he was going to cry.