Investigating

Once Again
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

{36 days to go…}

A knock came at the door startling Jessica out of her thoughts. What if the results were something she was dreading? What if the results were something she was expecting? What if the results were something she never wanted? The endless possibilities haunted her and there was only one way to put herself out of her misery. Standing up from the posh sofa that she was seated on, she took cautious steps towards the door. She unlocked it to be met with the sight of an old friend, Jonghyun.

“Hi,” she said, a smile gracing her face as she led the man in.

“Hey Jess,” he replied as he seated himself on the sofa. “It’s been such a long time, hasn’t it?”

She laughed nervously. “Yeah, it is. Would you like a drink?” She asked, moving towards the kitchen. “Anything to eat?”

“Oh, do you cook now?” he asked mockingly.

“Yes, I do. It’s quite good actually.”

Jonghyun looked shocked, “You can cook now. You could never cook. At least, my wife is a queen in the kitchen.”

Jessica narrowed her eyes playfully, “You know what? You’re not getting any refreshments.”

He shrugged. “I have to meet my wife like right now. Anyway,” he waved the file in his hands, “this is what you wanted so I’m going to leave it on the table.” He put the file on the coffee table and stood up to leave.

The heiress walked over to the door after her friend, “Well, see you another time,” giving him a kiss on the cheek as he left.

She spun around, an imminent swirl of butterflies forming in her stomach. She took hesitant steps towards the coffee table and stared at the file. Would it be right for her to open it first? What would the results be if she did? Would they be what she expected? Would it be positive? Would it send all her hopes crashing to the floor? Would it destroy all her plans? Would it be the only thing to make things the way they were supposed to be?

“So, you decide to invite your buddy inside when you think I’m out?” She automatically flinched and looked up to see Jay, her insecure boyfriend, looking angry. She sighed. She loved Jay but sometimes his insecurities made her extremely annoyed. She didn’t like it when his insecurities got in the way of their relationship. She honestly didn’t feel like explaining again and again after the incident with Donghae because she had spent years telling him that she loved him and yet, he was never assured. It was like he couldn’t quite trust her.

“Firstly, Jonghyun is not a buddy,” she started, standing up and taking slow steps to Jay as she spoke, “he’s a friend. Secondly, you should stop being unreasonable and overly insecure when I’m with another guy.”

“I wouldn’t be like this if you hadn’t partied so hard.”

She looked at him incredulously, “That was in the past.”

“And yet, it happened. Who knows how many guys you slept with?”

“That doesn’t matter anymore, Jay. I’m with you now, I love you now.”

“Really? Sometimes it doesn’t seem like that.”

Jessica turned away and mumbled under her breathe, “I’m sick of this.” She started moving towards their bedroom with anger pulsing through her veins.

“Where are you going?”

“Somewhere where people aren’t so insecure about themselves and somewhere where

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter