89

Their Kingdom Panorama

 

“I heard Madam Cho’s in the hospital,” So Rae surprisingly spoke up the next morning. “I wonder why Victoria wasn’t with them last night.” 
 
Victoria felt a wave of annoyance surge through her. The urge to throw her fork right at So Rae was so strong she was afraid she’d really do it. 
 
“I heard Kyuhyun waited alone all night,” So Rae continued. 
 
“Enough, So Rae,” her father said before turning to Victoria, “you must be tired. What time did you come home last night?” 
 
Victoria chose not to answer. 
 
Her father took a breath before saying, “It’s alright. Chairman Cho notified me that she’s resting well in the ward. Don’t go to work today, why don’t you go see her later?” 
 
Victoria nodded as she worked hard at avoiding the thought of massacring So Rae on the spot. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Madam Cho glanced at her son, whose face was full of guilt, with a calm smile. The surgery had turned out well. Her heart was still in place, her legs paralyzed, and she was only left with a broken arm. 
 
“Let me have some time with Kyuhyun,” she told the others. 
 
The ahjumma watched on concerned and nodded. 
 
“We’ll be right outside, dear,” her husband said giving her a peck on the forehead before walking out. 
 
As the door closed, she turned to Kyuhyun, “Give me your hand.” 
 
When Kyuhyun did as told she placed her hand above his. 
 
“These hands aren’t meant to just toil day and night,” she started, “they’re supposed to help you create memories which can give you happiness.”
 
“Mom,” he said, “I’m sorry.” 
 
“My son, your mother is even more sorry,” she continued smiling, “I can never be there for you.”
 
Kyuhyun placed his other hand on top of hers. 
 
“Victoria is a bright girl,” she said, “I could see it in her eyes that she was sad when we were discussing the wedding. Kyuhyun, mom won’t ask you what’s going on, but Lee Donghae, could I see him once?” 
 
Kyuhyun’s eyes lit up with surprise. 
 
“Mother just wants to meet him once,” she went on, “ok? Hmm?” 
 
/\_____/\
 
Clutching onto the bouquet she’d purchased along the way she couldn’t help but feel the large amount of nervousness that hit her. What should she say to Kyuhyun’s mother? Should she apologize first of all? Or should she pretend that she didn’t know that his mother had heard them yesterday? There were so much conflicting feelings growing inside of her. 
 
When the car pulled up to the front of the hospital, Victoria glanced out of the window. She was unsure of what to do. 
 
The long hallways seemed to be engulfing her as she took each step further down. Then there it was. Room 2341. Hesitantly, she reached a hand forward for the doorknob then pulled it back. What would happen if she went in? 
 
Briefly closing her eyes shut she exhaled before opening the door. No one was inside except for Madam Cho who was resting quietly on the white hospital bed. The cast on her right arm looked painful and Victoria felt ultimately guilty. 
 
“You’re here?” she turned to her. 
 
Victoria pulled a smile onto her face closing the door behind her. She took a few steps forward and sat down on the chair that had been placed beside the bed. Victoria was silent for the fact that she had no idea what to say. 
 
“Those flowers are really pretty,” she complimented. 
 
“Ah…” Victoria said then wondered if she should give the flowers to her or set them on the table. In the end she set them on the table. 
 
“Give me your hand,” she said.
 
Victoria glanced at the woman’s pale face before doing as told. When she placed her hand onto hers, Victoria felt her heart flush with warmth and contradicting feelings. 
 
“You have such pretty fingers,” Madam Cho began then smiled at her, “I’m sorry if you were hurt. If we, the adults, managed to hurt you somehow, I’m deeply sorry.” 
 
Tears welled up in Victoria’s eyes for some unsure reason and she shook her head to hold them back. 
 
“No, no,” Victoria went on, “no one hurt me.” 
 
“Thank you for enduring with such patience,” Madam Cho thanked, “I wouldn’t know how to react if you’ve rejected the proposal. Every separate person has their own will and I’m sure you were ready to live your own life before we intruded into yours. It’s ok, Victoria, because no matter what you do I’ll be the mother who’ll look after you.” 
 
Victoria glanced down at her warm hand. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Kyuhyun parked his car in the large public parking lot outside the company and glanced up at the 5th floor windows where Victoria used to work. Getting out of his car he walked in through the doors and took the elevator up. His mind was now calm, but he wasn’t yet at peace with himself.
 
The doors to the elevator automatically opened when it landed on the 5th floor and he walked out turning down the hallway he used to always walk down. Victoria’s desk was empty that morning and turning to look toward the couch in the corner he realized that Donghae was nowhere in sight. 
 
Turning to look around he found that the door leading to the outdoor balcony was open. Slowly inching his way through it, he discovered Donghae standing by the railings gazing down below. The wind neatly swept his hair from side to side when Kyuhyun reached Donghae. 
 
With no words said he waited until Donghae noticed him yet he seemed so focused on the streets below or either he was lost in his thoughts. When Donghae finally noticed him, he jumped a little from surprise. 
 
“Since you have time to be out here, let me take you somewhere,” Kyuhyun said. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Once the car stopped in the parking lot, Donghae glanced out the window then turned to Kyuhyun puzzled. 
 
“What are we doing here?” Donghae asked. 
 
Kyuhyun turned off the engine, “Just follow me.” 
 
Confused with what was going on, Donghae followed Kyuhyun out and into the building where they traveled from floor to floor. 
 
“What’s going on?” Donghae wondered. “Why’d you bring me here? Cho Kyuhyun, answer me.” 
 
Donghae wasn’t yet aware of where they were when Kyuhyun stopped beside a door. Kyuhyun turned to him with a hand on the doorknob. 
 
“Someone asked to meet with you,” Kyuhyun told before opening the door. 
 
As it opened Donghae turned to see a woman lying on the hospital bed, a large cast around her right arm. It took Donghae a long moment before he turned toward Kyuhyun with wide eyes. 
 
“Wha…” Donghae began. 
 
“Go in,” was all Kyuhyun said. 
 
Donghae remained frozen in spot for a while before the Kyuhyun’s mother called, “Come in.” 
 
Holding his breath he took a step into the room to find the door closing after him. His eyes resided on the ground with immense confusion and fear flying through him. What would Kyuhyun’s mother want to say to him? Why in the world would Kyuhyun bring him here? 
 
“Have a seat,” she invited. 
 
Since rejecting an elder was disrespectful, Donghae did as told. His eyes ran about the room as the woman scanned his face. 
 
“You’re so handsome,” she commented. 
 
Donghae nodded his head in a small bow to show his thanks quietly. He suddenly found himself afraid to speak. 
 
The woman smiled, “Am I making you nervous?”
 
Donghae turned to look at her and furiously shook his head. 
 
“No.” 
 
The woman smiled again, “Lee Donghae, you were at the banquet that night. I remember seeing you.” 
 
Nostalgic fear flashed through Donghae’s eyes. 
 
The woman remained smiling, “I’m Cho Kyuhyun’s mother, the one who was sitting in the wheelchair.” 
 
“Yes,” Donghae nodded. 
 
“It’d be really good if you remained friends with my son and Victoria,” she said. 
 
Uncertainty and disappointment crawled into him. 
 
“But it seems both of them don’t think the same way.” 
 
Donghae looked up from the ground. 
 
“Kyuhyun no longer wishes to proceed with the wedding and I’d like to see Victoria happy,” she went on, “Lee Donghae, if I’m correct, Victoria is important to you, isn’t she?” 
 
He gulped. No real answer came from him and he found himself lowering his head again. What was he doing here? Was he asking for sympathy from a woman who was currently hospitalized? 
 
“I think we’ve pushed the young ones into a corner and they can’t seem to smile bravely anymore,” Madam Cho said, “please become Victoria’s knight in shining armor.” 
 
Donghae looked at the woman shocked. 
 
“Do take her away from Kyuhyun,” the woman insisted, “who has had everything since young. He doesn’t need Victoria. So like those fairytales, take her away to your kingdom.” 
 
/\_____/\
 
Victoria returned to work even if she wasn’t supposed to. When she entered her office, she froze when she spotted Myung Soo going through her desk. 
 
“What are you doing?” she asked loudly. 
 
Myung So turned around surprised and when his eyes landed on her, he smiled contemptuously. 
 
“I thought your father said you weren’t coming in today.” 
 
Victoria walked forward and glanced at her opened drawer. Immediately she slammed it closed. 
 
“Do you go through my office every single day after I leave?” 
 
Myung Soo laughed, “How can you accuse your boss of that?” 
 
Victoria glared. 
 
“You’re really a sentimental one, aren’t you?” he teased. 
 
“What does that make you then?” Victoria wondered. 
 
Myung Soo smiled, walked away, sat down on the arm of the sofa, and looked at her, “I was wondering if you’d come up with a plot against So Rae yet. It seems you haven’t.” 
 
“You think I’d keep that in my drawers?” Victoria asked. “What are you really looking for?” 
 
He shrugged annoying her further. 
 
“You came to me first with the proposal to dump So Rae somewhere,” he reminded getting up. “We’re still on it, aren’t we?” 
 
Victoria glanced elsewhere. 
 
Myung Soo smiled like a snake, “I have two proposals for you then. We can either vote her out of her office at an official board meeting or persuade your father to do it. How about the second one?” 
 
Victoria didn’t turn. 
 
“Your father will listen to you because you’re his only daughter, his only blood remaining,” Myung Soo whispered. 
 
Victoria turned swiftly to face him. 
 
“You have more power over him than I do,” Myung Soo continued. “So, do it. Lets get So Rae out together.” 
 
Victoria pressed her lips together firmly. 
 
“So Rae doesn’t deserve to be here,” Myung Soo tried, “are you going to allow an outsider to run the family business your father worked hard for? Even if your father drops you into the head position, it doesn’t mean that no one will come after you. We all know So Rae is greedy and she’ll always want the best spot.” 
 
She smiled, “Who do you think I am? Who am I to listen to my father’s right hand man?”
 
Myung Soo laughed again, “You’re so innocent.” 
 
“Don’t tell me that.” 
 
“You’re right,” Myung Soo locked his hands behind him and started pacing around, “I guess it’s wrong to call you innocent. Even I know you were released from jail just a few months ago.” 
 
Victoria’s jaw tightened. Just how many of them knew? 
 
“You know what harm this can cause your father?” 
 
“You wouldn’t!” 
 
“Oh?” Myung Soo teased again. “If So Rae wouldn’t, I can. If you don’t want to harm your father’s precious company, lets work on getting So Rae fired. Once she leaves, this company will be all ours.” 
 
“Ours?” Victoria repeated. 
 
“Of course,” he nodded, “your father is planning on having you replace him and once you do, there’ll just be me and you.” 
 
Why did it sound like an unwelcoming invite to work with him? 
 
“Then why does So Rae even matter when she’s not part of the family?” 
 
“Because she thinks she’s part of the family,” Myung Soo replied, “I leave the rest up to you.” 
 
Myung Soo started to walk away. 
 
“What if I don’t? What if I don’t want to?” Victoria called after him. “I can still quit this company, if I beg my father enough I’ll leave this position.” 
 
“You what?” 
 
“Let me get it straight,” Victoria walked toward him. “I’m not interested in being ordered around by you nor am I interested in taking on the tasks you’re leaving to me. I’ve changed my mind, I’m the one who wants out on this. I just realized how meaningless So Rae is. I don’t care if she runs the company out of greed because she is like that, greedy.” 
 
Myung Soo stared at her. Not a trace of anger nor annoyance appeared on his face. 
 
“You really mean it?” he asked. 
 
Victoria stared back. 
 
Myung Soo smiled, “We’ll see what happens then, if you, who proposed this, backs out.” 
 
Victoria watched as he walked out of her office and closed the door after him. 

***Kyu's mother has set the two of them free! Vic can finally feel like she can breathe again....but not yet. She's going to find out she was messing/working with the wrong guy :/