46

Their Kingdom Panorama

 

/\_____/\
 
Having lost his appetite he shifted his tray away from him and tossed the small pack of candy Victoria had handed him earlier onto the table. 
 
“How could you let him take his own candy,” Donghae mumbled, “I’m your friend and you gave me such a small pack.” 
 
Groaning he picked it up and tossed it back onto the table. After a moment he picked up the small pack of candy and stuffed it into the pocket of his jacket. 
 
“Lets see if I eat you later or not.” he told himself. 
 
The cafeteria suddenly became silent and Donghae swerved back wondering why. When he turned back around he discovered that it was because So Rae had suddenly made her way down for lunch. 
 
“Oh?” he asked. 
 
So Rae picked up her spoon, “You don’t mind if you join you, do you?” 
 
“Uh…no! Of course not.” he smiled. “Why are you down here all of a sudden?” 
 
“Because I get tired of take outs sometimes,” she replied. 
 
“Oh…” he replied. “Is your food ok?” 
 
“Why? Are you thinking that because I’m rich the food won’t be to my taste?” 
 
“No, no, that’s not what I meant,” Donghae clarified shaking his head almost furiously, “I’m just wondering if the food is still warm. Sometimes, I even get cold rice.” 
 
“Is that so?” So Rae asked. “Then I shall have to tell the staff to take better care of the food.” 
 
“Uh…no…I didn’t mean to get them in trouble.” 
 
“It’s your job to report to me if the food is good or not,” So Rae fixed, “no one’s getting in trouble.” 
 
“Oh…is that so?” Donghae said. 
 
“Why? Are you feeling awkward eating with your boss?” 
 
“Not exactly.” 
 
So Rae turned away from him and started eating her food silently. 
 
“I didn’t think you had such a good appetite,” he commented. 
 
“For a brain to work, I need a lot of food.” 
 
Donghae laughed playfully at her remark, “Are we overstepping our boundary of employee and boss right now?” 
 
“I’ll need a friend sometime, too,” So Rae replied simply, “especially when everyone else here finds me cold.” 
 
“I’m sure not everyone feels that way,” Donghae tried then took a look around to find that as soon as he started looking around the others quickly turned their curious stares away. “But you know what? It’s only because they don’t know you. You may carry a cold exterior, but you sure are a great person underneath!” 
 
“You’re too enthusiastic for my liking,” So Rae complimented. 
 
“Oh…sorry.” 
 
“But I’ll permit it, since you’re the only one whose willing to stand me.” 
 
“I’m…not the only one,” Donghae told, “I’m sure of that.” 
 
So Rae ended the conversation with an unwilling smile then returned to eating.
 
“Do you want to go catch some air?” Donghae asked. 
 
Walking through the front door he led So Rae toward the little patch of flowers the company’s hired gardeners had planted within a square shaped box outlined with round stones. It looked beyond plain and fancy, but it was something fashionable that gave the company a rich glance with one eye. 
 
“Why are we out here?” So Rae questioned from behind. 
 
Donghae walked over to the side of the garden and sat atop a stone. He motioned for So Rae to walk over. She did so only after a long moment of debate. 
 
“I think a fountain with a statue of cupid to accompany this garden of flowers would look better,” Donghae told. 
 
“I guess.” 
 
“I’m talking to you here as a friend, since we’ve stepped out of the company,” Donghae explained. “Smile some. You look too gloomy, honestly.” 
 
So Rae leaned against the wall of rocks beside him. 
 
“My mother left the house,” So Rae told, “I didn’t even get a farewell from her.” 
 
“Sorry to hear,” he sympathized. 
 
“But it doesn’t matter, she never cared about me so I won’t care about her either.” 
 
“Saying that…is kind of rough,” Donghae told, “at least you have a mother to be angry about. I never had one to begin with, so I don’t know how it feels. I’d say, having a mother to hate is much better than not having one. You won’t know how lonely it feels sometimes.” 
 
So Rae turned to glance at him. 
 
“You talk as if all the sadness revolves around you,” So Rae said, “so how come you can act like you don’t care about a thing?” 
 
“I’ve just never focused on being sad,” Donghae expressed, “maybe because I’ve never actually experienced real sadness.” 
 
“Then you’re really something.” So Rae commented with a small smile. 
 
“I am, don’t you think?” Donghae returned the smile. 
 
While So Rae made her way toward the lab, Donghae climbed the stairs up to the 5th floor. In the middle of the hallway he could hear music notes flailing through the air noisily. Wondering who was creating such a cuss he walked further down the hallway to discover that the door to the side had been left open. Walking toward the door he spotted Victoria’s empty desk and felt a distasteful snort leave him. 
 
Making his way through the doorway to the second door that led to the balcony he stared out at Kyuhyun stringing his guitar handsomely with Victoria immersed in watching him. 
 
“Tsh…what’s this?” he questioned himself. “Are they having a date out here?” 
 
His half glare carried on from Victoria toward Kyuhyun then back to Victoria when she began clapping wildly. 
 
“Is she imitating a seal?” he snorted. 
 
However, he still continued to watch as Kyuhyun handed her the guitar instructing her how to pluck the strings and explaining to her about the various noises each chord created.
 
“Is he sure he’s teaching her right? I’d laugh if one of the chords broke, that woman is made of steel I tell you.” he mumbled. “Forget it, I don’t want to watch anymore.” 
 
Donghae turned around and froze on the spot half surprised and half stunned to see So Rae standing behind him. 
 
“You were watching this?” So Rae questioned before whizzing around and walking away. 
 
His mouth dropped open and before he could call her name he followed her out only to find that she’d closed the door to her office. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Victoria turned toward the door when she thought she’d heard footsteps. 
 
“What’s wrong?” Kyuhyun asked grabbing her attention. 
 
“Oh…nothing,” she shook her head, “so what were explaining again?” 
 
After 15 more minutes of messing up the chords she and Kyuhyun walked back to the office laughing. They stopped when they found Donghae sitting at her desk staring at them silently. 
 
“I should go now,” he told. “See you later?” 
 
Victoria nodded and waved. When Kyuhyun disappeared down the hallway she turned back to Donghae. 
 
“Why are you sitting at my desk?” she asked. “Or is it that you want to become secretary for one day?” 
 
Donghae got up and stared down at her. Victoria stared back up at him wondering what had suddenly gotten into him.
 
“What’s wrong with you?” she questioned. 
 
He snorted before turning around. Victoria took a step forward, but came to another rough stop when Donghae suddenly turned back. 
 
“Yah!” he called. “Is this a place to date? It’s your office meant for work!” 
 
“Ok…” she mumbled walking pass him. 
 
Donghae turned back to her, “Ok?!”
 
Victoria frowned and turned back to him, “Jesus, I said ‘Ok’ which means I understand, ok? You don’t need to go on and start another argument about how I’ve wronged you in whatever way.” 
 
“Tsh!” he went. “I can’t believe you even touched his guitar. Imagine all the places that wooden piece of a thing has been.”
 
“Excuse me?” Victoria asked confused. “What are we arguing about here? Kyuhyun, work, or the guitar?” 
 
“Get back to work! You’ve been on your break too long!” 
 
“Wow…something’s wrong with you today. You don’t have to be so stingy,” Victoria muttered then asked, “are you, by any chance, on your period?” 
 
Donghae turned back with a glare. 
 
Victoria laughed, “I was just joking, Lee Donghae.” 
 
Finally sitting down Victoria arched her eyebrow wondering what in the world was wrong with him. 
 
“But it’s ok, it’s your birthday Friday, so I’ll tolerate it for now.” Victoria smiled to herself. 
 
/\_____/\
 
“There’s an empty spot at the company now?” Kyuhyun asked over dinner. 
 
His father nodded re-confirming what he’d just said, “Why don’t you start work on Monday? That way you can start familiarizing yourself with the company.” 
 
“Sure, that sounds great,” Kyuhyun half smiled. 
 
“Why? Do you not want to start your new job?” his father questioned noticing his son’s dim facial expression. 
 
“No, it’s not that I don’t want to,” Kyuhyun said, “it’s just that I was just getting acquainted with uncle’s company.” 
 
“Victoria, is it?” his father teased. “Don’t worry, I’ll still allow you to go have lunch with her. Besides, you can bring her over to our company once you get married.” 
 
Kyuhyun smiled shyly and stared down at his food wondering what Victoria’s reaction would be when she found out he was finally starting his job. Would she be a bit disappointed? Or would she be happy for him? 
 
Feeling a bit excited, when he got back to his room he ran toward his phone and looked up Victoria’s number. However, as the phone rang no one answered. 
 
“What’s she doing?” he wondered. 
 
He tried calling again and this time no one answered.

***So he's never experienced real sadness huh? Well we'll see about that soon.

***I can't decide. Do you guys prefer a short tug and pull (not war) between HaeToria before I finally start the flimsy romance scenes? Or would you prefer a longer tug and pull between the two?