75

Their Kingdom Panorama

 

/\_____/\
 
When Victoria got up the next morning, she felt troubled. Had it been that she’d fallen asleep while watching the movie last night? Donghae had seemed so immersed in it that she had felt sorry when she’d woken up. 
 
However, when she reached the 5th floor that morning, instead of Donghae she saw Kyuhyun standing by her desk staring down at the empty folder she’d left on the desktop yesterday. 
 
She hesitated unsure whether she should approach him or walk away like she’d never seen him. Yes, she was aware she was being bad…but she didn’t want to have anything to do with him at the moment because Donghae was all that mattered. Before she could walk away, it was as if Kyuhyun had noticed her presence and turned around. That gentle smiled she loved popped onto his face. 
 
“Hey.” he greeted. 
 
Victoria pulled a smile onto her face to be polite, “What are you doing here?” 
 
“I figured you wouldn’t be the first to approach me, so I took the initiative,” he explained, “it’s early, but lets talk over a cup of coffee.” 
 
Victoria shifted her head in the direction of Donghae’s empty couch and wondered where he was. 
 
The coffee shop was somewhat empty that morning. Victoria was unsure about what there was that needed to be said. Kyuhyun had probably said his mouth full at their last meeting. Unsurprisingly, she could still feel some amount of anger seeping through her veins. 
 
“I know I said a lot the last time we saw each other,” Kyuhyun started off, “but they’re all facts I want you to consider. This world that we live in isn’t a kind one. When rumors start flying around it can cause much more than just an impact. I don’t want you to have to go through that.”
 
Victoria laid her eyes upon the busy morning traffic and the people walking by. 
 
At long last she finally turned to him, “I know, you’re all trying to look out for me.” 
 
“Lets get married.” 
 
All the muscles in her body tightened up. Was this really the time to be talking about marriage? Really?! A deep sigh quietly left her. How much more was everyone going to ask from her? What did they want from her? 
 
Closing her eyes exasperated she let out a loud sigh, “I’m starting to get so frustrated now. So, what if I can’t be the same person I was? Taking orders from everyone, being nice…it’s all becoming so tiring now. Honestly, I don’t want to do the wedding and you know why. Everyone is asking for so much from me. It’s only been two weeks since the engagement…and the wedding? Is it going to be next week?” 
 
Kyuhyun looked at her. 
 
“Sorry,” Victoria apologized, “because I know that’s not the answer anyone wants. How long are you going to keep waiting? I know that there’s someone out there who is better suited for you than me. I’m a low life, I came from the streets, Cho Kyuhyun. Don’t spend the rest of your life with someone like me.” 
 
Victoria finally reached the company a few minutes later to find Donghae standing by the front waiting for her. The sight of him sent huge waves of relief flooding through her. Making her way toward him she reached to grasp his hand, but Donghae quickly pulled his hand away leaving her grasping empty air. She looked up at him troubled and surprised. 
 
Donghae avoided her gaze for a second then turned back to her with a smile after re-gathering himself.  
 
“Lets go out tonight,” he suggested. 
 
Even as she stared back at him she couldn’t help but feel that something was going to happen. She was feeling so troubled. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Cho Kyuhyun stopped in his steps when he met Mi Sun at the doorway. She was probably stopping by to get some coffee for So Rae, he assumed. He walked to walk pass her coolly and pretend that they hadn’t seen each other, but Mi Sun just had to start a conversation. 
 
“I heard you and So Rae talked a few days ago,” Mi Sun told. 
 
Kyuhyun pressed his lips together. 
 
“I saw Victoria walking toward the company, did you two talk just now?” 
 
Kyuhyun glanced at her, “I believe that we’re both busy this morning. I’ll see you later.” 
 
“You know that Victoria will have to submit to the wedding,” Mi Sun said, “we just have to keep talking to her about it.”
 
His eyes darted elsewhere uncomfortably. He really didn’t like the atmosphere that he’d been feeling ever since the last time the two of them met up. He didn’t like the tension so without a word he walked away. How much further were they all going to push Victoria? 
 
/\_____/\
 
Victoria sat alone at the small restaurant playing with the napkin in her hands. Troubling thoughts came and went by. There were too many things to be unsure of. The answers were so hard to reach. Where was she standing? Where was she going? How was she going to go about the obstacles coming her way? Would she survive? She was so useless, so helpless. Who would listen to her? Who would lend a helping hand? 
 
She looked up when someone sat down across from her. 
 
“You’re early,” Donghae commented without that frequent smile of his. 
 
For some reason she just wanted to hold him, hug him tightly. 
 
“Should we order first?” Donghae asked. 
 
“Is there something wrong?” 
 
The expression on his face wasn’t happy as it should be. It was the first time she’d seen him…down. Maybe he didn’t just look sad. There was something else in there that she couldn’t read, but she could obviously sense it. 
 
After a few moments two bowls of soup was placed in front of them. Victoria didn’t touch hers and neither did Donghae. They sat their quietly as if they were speaking through the disturbing mass of molecules between them. 
 
“Lets stop seeing each other,” Donghae’s voice broke through. 
 
Victoria’s eyes shot up from the table. 
 
“What?” her voice was solid and thick. 
 
He met with her eyes and without a word he got up with a start toward the door. Victoria shot up after him, but stopped when the owner screamed her to pay. Biting down onto her bottom lip she tossed a few dollars onto the table before chasing out after him. Grabbing his arm she turned him around. 
 
“What do you mean ‘lets stop seeing each other?’” she screamed. 
 
The few people passing by turned to glance at them, but Victoria was used to stares. 
 
He glanced at her, “I had enough playing with you. Lets stop here.” 
 
“No!” she stated in a demanding tone. “Who was it? It was So Rae unnie, wasn’t it? Or was it Mi Sun unnie?” 
 
“No,” he said taking her grip off of him, “I’ve decided to break up with you on my own.” 
 
fell open when he took a step away from her. She ran after him again and took a hold of his arm making sure that her grip was tighter. 
 
“Why? Why? You can’t just do this to me! There has to be a reason. I already told you, I won’t marry Cho Kyuhyun.” 
 
“Cho Kyuhyun?” he repeated as if disgusted of his name. “The world doesn’t revolve around him or you. It’s just that you’re of no use to me anymore, you’re already all used up.” 
 
Her grip loosened on him. A headache was starting to drum itself in her head. It was painful and hard to listen to him. So many feelings rushed through her. Uncertainty, sadness, and anger all piled up one after another. 
 
“I only came after you because I thought you’d be interesting, instead you’re only a disappointment. Do you understand what I’m saying?” 
 
Victoria stared back at him still unable to transmit whatever he’d said into her brain. 
 
“I only wanted to play with you, use your feelings up, have you give yourself up to me. I only wanted to fool around with you. That’s how men are, that’s how I am.” 
 
Pain etched itself into her face before she forced a smile on, then laughed. 
 
“Do you think I believe you?” she asked. “You’re only doing this because of So Rae unnie, because of what happened the other day. Why? It’s because you think I’m better off with Cho Kyuhyun, isn’t it? Isn’t it?!” 
 
He stared back at her with a pair of eyes that didn’t move. She didn’t know how to read them. 
 
“No.” his voice was quiet, soft, she was almost unable to hear him. “I thought I liked you, but it was only a fantasy I had since So Rae wasn’t playing along with me. You’re nothing like her. You won’t ever stop being that awful girl I first met, you can’t change who you are. I don’t like you.” 
 
Victoria felt her eyes grow wide, her heart hit its ribcage, and her eyes sting. 
 
“Liar.” she denied. 
 
“Did you like it when I came after you so desperately? When I held you and kissed you? Did you really think I was sincere?” he stared into her eyes. 
 
The way he was acting scared her. Victoria suddenly felt unsure of everything. 
 
“I don’t believe you,” she swallowed, “Lee Donghae isn’t that kind of person.” 
 
“Believe what you want to believe.”
 
He walked out of her grasp, but Victoria desperately chased after him again. Grabbing his arm she stopped him and found her way to standing before him. She stared at him in the eyes. 
 
“Tell me the truth, Lee Donghae,” she said calmly then swallowed before going on, “you’re not doing this because I’m that awful, insolent brat, but because you believe I’ll be better off with Cho Kyuhyun. Because in that world filled with money, I won’t have to worry about anything.” 
 
He was silent. 
 
“Answer me.” she tugged on his arm. 
 
She was positive that she was right. So Rae had talked him into it. So Rae had said something to him. She knew Donghae, she knew him better than he did himself. He was naïve like a girl, someone who could be easily swayed with words that had a point. 
 
“You’re just like them,” Victoria declared with eyes full of emotional anger, “you don’t care about me. You only want to selfishly trade me over.” 
 
She dropped her hand from his arm. Victoria glanced around a bit hoping for something that was blindly hiding then turned around and walked down the street. 
 
Only anger flushed through her as she started toward home. So Rae had definitely pushed Donghae into the corner. Victoria wasn’t about to let it all slide just yet. Donghae had been real, they had been real. 
 
/\_____/\
 
As soon as Victoria’s back disappeared, his heart began thumping furiously. She’d been the only person who’d claimed him as a friend in front of others, she’d been the only person who stayed around him, she’d been the only person who wanted to be with him, who wanted to share everything with him. 
 
His eyes scanned the crowd hoping that Victoria hadn’t actually walked away. He hadn’t meant the things he’d said…he wanted to take back all his words, chew on them, and swallow them down. Why…had he actually listened to So Rae? He needed Victoria, he just needed her so bad. 
 
Taking a step forward he suddenly went flying through the crowd. Her name hung off the tip of his lips. If he found her, he wanted to hold her, grab her hand, and embrace her. 
 
A light beamed in his eyes blinding him and the loud beep of the car horn deafened him. Shocked and taken aback he took a step back tripping over the curb before falling down. When he grabbed a hold of himself, Victoria was already no where to be seen. 
 
Was it over? They were…really over?
 
/\_____/\
 
Victoria slammed the front door after her, stomped down the hallway, and when she didn’t find anyone in the kitchen she started toward the stairs. Panting for air angrily she started toward So Rae’s bedroom. Without mercy she pounded on So Rae’s door continuously hoping that she was enraging the girl as well. 
 
The door finally opened a few seconds later and an annoyed So Rae stared back at her. 
 
“What do you think you’re doing?!” So Rae demanded to know. 
 
Victoria could only grit her teeth and stare at So Rae hard. She was filled with so much bitter feelings. So Rae knew and she was still asking? How dare she!
 
“You…what did you do to Donghae?!” 
 
So Rae snorted with a smile, “Why?” 
 
“It’s none of your business! My life isn’t any of your business! I don’t care if you claim anything else of mine! Go ahead and take Cho Kyuhyun, but why do you have to take Donghae away?! Why! Unnie! Don’t make him leave me! You don’t have the right to!” Victoria screamed at the top of her lungs. 
 
She was feeling so helpless, so desperate that she could have cried on the spot and started begging. She didn’t know what else to do. 
 
So Rae stared back at her as if she’d gone crazy. 
 
“Do you not have any shame?” So Rae questioned before tilting her head. “I told you, he doesn’t love you.” 
 
So Rae sounded so emotionless, so cold. 
 
Victoria felt choked up. How much further was So Rae going to go? Was she willing to go as far as to push Victoria into strangling her? Because Victoria was sure that she wanted to do just that on the spot. 
 
“Donghae’s mine, he’s the only thing you can’t have, unnie. Leave him be.” Victoria half pleaded. 
 
So Rae stared at her for a long time before saying, “Ok.” 
 
Victoria watched as So Rae spun around and closed her door. She stepped forward as if she could walk through the door. Her head ran around in circles and she couldn’t catch a hold of herself. How was she going to pass time alone? 
 
The next day at work she walked toward her desk nervously. Her hands almost shook from the anxiety of seeing Donghae. How would he act toward her? Would he try to be mean? Or would he try to talk to her and apologize for having been so bizarre? She hoped it was one of those two choices. 
 
Her breath got caught in when footsteps started around the corner. Donghae’s perfect figure emerged from the hallway and Victoria felt her lips trembling as she prepared herself to greet him. However, he barely stopped with a small bow before passing by. 
 
When his silhouette disappeared into the opposite hallway, Victoria’s head turned to follow him with a frown full of angst. Out of habit she chewed at her bottom lip continuously. 
 
“Victoria,” Victoria spun around to see Mi Sun standing adjacent to her, “Chairman Cho is on the line for you.” 
 
The sight of Mi Sun was starting to irritate her. Without a word she reached for her phone. 
 
“Victoria, how are you doing?” Chairman Cho’s cheery voice greeted, he didn’t wait for her to answer, “your father agreed to have dinner with us tonight. You’ll come along, won’t you?” 
 
Victoria thought long and hard. 
 
“My wife has been looking into decorations, why don’t you come over to chat with her?” Chairman Cho suggested. “She’s been eager to meet you these days.” 
 
It was an indirect message telling her to hurry up and prepare for the wedding. Victoria didn’t want to disappoint anyone, but she couldn’t care anymore. Donghae was slipping out of her grasp and he was all she cared about. Covering So Rae’s father’s identity could come last with the wedding. Victoria was ready to reject him, but he cut her off. 
 
“We’ll see you tonight then, hmm?” he said before hanging up. 
 
Victoria cut her day short when she realized that Donghae hadn’t come back. Surely he was ignoring her, or if not she hoped that he wasn’t with So Rae. 
 

***Donghae did it! He really did it!!! 

***And is AFF being weird or is it just me? It won't let me load up certain pages and it took me a while to open up the website