28

Their Kingdom Panorama

 

/\_____/\
 
“Are you sure you’ve been doing ok in this new home?” he asked her on the way out. 
 
“I’m fine,” she replied plainly making her way down the steps. 
 
“If you lie your nose is going to grow like Pinocchio. Like this,” he gestured putting his finger next to his nose to make it look long. 
 
Victoria laughed at his small joke before turning to look at the car down the street. 
 
“So Rae unnie…do you know why she suddenly ran out like that?” Victoria wondered. 
 
Kyuhyun followed her worried gaze recalling her mother’s words to him before turning back to Victoria with a smile. 
 
“I’m sure So Rae’s fine,” Kyuhyun assured. 
 
“Unnie puts on a cold front, but just because they look strong doesn’t mean they always are,” Victoria opinionated. “I don’t know why father is making you look after me, but you should look after unnie as well.” 
 
Kyuhyun fought to keep his smile on. However he would talk to So Rae now wouldn’t mean that she would just listen to him and take his words into consideration. She had already labeled herself as an enemy and what was he supposed to do about that when she was being so stubborn? 
 
And also…no one had clarified to Victoria that he wasn’t So Rae’s fiancé. Maybe he should find a time to tell her…but he was afraid that if she found out she might start feeling uncomfortable with him. What if she began distancing herself? What if she got angry? 
 
He was feeling so troubled all of a sudden. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Everything seemed to be flowing along fine as usual. She was in a good mood. Getting into the elevator she pressed the number 5 and rode up. 
 
“Welcome party?” Victoria asked herself aloud. 
 
The idea…seemed new to her. She’d never had a total party where she’d been the center of attention. Would it feel weird being in a situation where everyone else continuously stared at you? Victoria was half anticipating the party and half nervous for it. 
 
The elevator doors opened and she stepped out ready to greet Donghae, bug him, and argue with him. Hoping that the rest of the day she walked the rest of the way down the hallway and toward her desk. She found Donghae sitting on the couch with one leg crossed over the other as if he’d been waiting for her. Just the simple thought of it made her heart jolt. 
 
“You’re here super early,” she greeted.
 
Prepared to start working she walked toward her desk to sit down, but before she could sit down Donghae grabbed her arm abruptly leading her toward the balcony where they would be isolated. A wave of confusion erased all other feelings through her and when they came to a stop he turned to her. 
 
“Cho Kyuhyun…who is he to you?” 
 
His had such a straight on that she wasn’t sure how to interpret his question. Angry? Or was he jealous? The thought of it made her anxious and caused her heart to run wild. 
 
“Why?” a small smirk entered upon her silly face. 
 
“You…don’t like him, do you?” he went on. 
 
He was definitely jealous. Victoria was sure of it. A giggle escaped her. 
 
“Are you blind? Can you not see it?” he asked her so seriously that Victoria became unsettled. 
 
“See what?” 
 
He ran his hand through his hair, “Every time I see her so frustrated, so angry…I feel so bad for you and yet you don’t understand a single bit of it? Victoria, I thought you were better than this!” 
 
“What are you talking about?” a million of questions suddenly popped up all over her brain. 
 
She tilted her head at him with a small frown. 
 
“Whenever you pull off that stupid look on your face around Cho Kyuhyun it makes you look dumber each time,” he told. 
 
Victoria narrowed her eyes. Was he insulting her? Was he trying to get her angry? 
 
“Yah…” Victoria started. 
 
“Don’t you understand why So Rae is angry with you?” Donghae asked.
 
Her mind was honestly blank. She’d tried to think of it, of course, but she never found the answer. Did he know the answer? Of all people did Donghae know the answer? Victoria found herself falling into a moment of hysteric disbelief. 
 
“Cho Kyuhyun…he shouldn’t be your fiancé,” Donghae sounded so angry. 
 
A wave of shock infiltrated her. 
 
“Isn’t he…unnie’s fiancé?” Victoria felt the words stumble upon one another. 
 
Donghae snorted coldly at her. 
 
“So Rae’s? Who told you that?” he questioned. “He was So Rae’s first love, her fiancé…before they made him yours.” 
 
It felt as if the wind had stopped howling. So many things were coming to her at once. This was the reality she had been thinking about. The reality full of too many emotions and hidden secrets. The reality she wasn’t used to. The reality she couldn’t deal with. 
 
“What?” Victoria asked unable to believe what she was hearing. 
 
“You should be embarrassed for putting up such an act,” he said. 
 
Why was he being like this? Why was he standing up for So Rae? Did he know her that well? What other things had So Rae revealed to him that she knew nothing of? Why was it so unfair that Donghae was standing up for So Rae when he knew nothing at all? 
 
Victoria watched him turn away from her and walk through the door. 
 
A snort full of hurt escaped her as she turned away, “And who do you think you are? Mr. Righteous? You’re such a fake…if I knew this…I wouldn’t have allowed myself to think of you so much. Lee Donghae, you jerk.” 
 
/\_____/\
 
Now that it was out, now that Victoria was aware of the fact that Kyuhyun had been So Rae’s first love he could only hope that she’d distance herself from him. He watched as Victoria headed toward her desk and sat down quietly. 
 
/\_____/\
 
After printing out some statistics Kyuhyun headed up the elevator and rode down to the 5th floor. Heading down the hallway he found Victoria messily staring at the mess on her desk as if she’d lost all concentration. Walking over he knocked on her desk and waited for her to look up. 
 
“Hey, Pinocchio,” he greeted. 
 
She looked up at him without a smile and he wondered what had gotten into her. 
 
“Why are you frowning? Did you have a bad day?” he wondered. 
 
“Why?” Victoria wondered. 
 
“Lets head down for lunch. Didn’t your father tell us to eat together?” 
 
He watched her shift her head to the left a little as if to look at Donghae, but she didn’t lay her eyes on him. He became curious about whether they’d argued or not seeing that the atmosphere out in the office felt so cold. 
 
Victoria got up from her chair, “Instead of the cafeteria can I take advantage of you today?” 
 
Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows.