79

Their Kingdom Panorama

 

/\_____/\
 
As the car made its way up the street, Victoria didn’t miss the sight of the familiar car parked by the side. It was Donghae’s car. Kyuhyun seemed to recognize it as well. 
 
“It looks like Lee Donghae’s over,” Victoria stated turning to Kyuhyun. 
 
“You’ll be ok?” 
 
Victoria shrugged, “So Rae unnie must have invited him over to spite the fact that I said that yesterday. It’ll be fine.” 
 
“Ok,” Kyuhyun nodded, “call me if you need anything.” 
 
Smiling, Victoria unbuckled her seatbelt and got out. As she started up the stone steps she quietly told herself that So Rae wouldn’t knock her down. She and Lee Donghae had already promised to start anew as friends. Climbing from the bottom to the top. 
 
The white hallway so sarcastically welcomed her home. Slipping into slippers at the doorway she walked the rest of the way toward the dining room where she heard chatter. When she appeared at the doorway three heads turned to look at her. 
 
“You’re here?” her father said. “Sit down, lets eat.” 
 
Victoria went over and sat down. 
 
“So Rae brought her boyfriend over,” her father didn’t have to explain. 
 
“I see,” Victoria told then turned to face them. “Did you guys come from watching a movie?” 
 
So Rae snorted. It clearly wasn’t the reaction she wanted. 
 
Victoria glanced at the food on the table, “Tonight’s dinner looks fancy.” 
 
“Ahjumma must have prepared some specialties for So Rae and Lee Donghae,” her father said before placing some food onto her plate. “Eat up. Did you go somewhere with Kyuhyun?” 
 
“We just went walking around,” Victoria explained, “we ate some snacks before coming home so I’m not very hungry.” 
 
“Do you want to excuse yourself already?” So Rae questioned clearly wondering if she wanted to leave the table because of Donghae. 
 
“I have a big stomach, I guess I’ll eat more,” Victoria said. “Unnie, why aren’t you talking to Donghae? If you ignore him like this, you might make him uncomfortable.” 
 
“It’s ok, I’m fine,” Donghae insisted and partially moved away when So Rae grabbed a napkin to wipe his lips. 
 
The move created a smirk on Victoria’s lips. So Rae was really putting some effort into bugging her. 
 
“Donghae, I saw some photo booths at the mall today,” Victoria started, “why don’t you and unnie go take some couple pictures there?”
 
“Really?” Donghae said. “Maybe we should.” 
 
So Rae frowned at her. 
 
“You guys can continue your chat. An old guy like me will head upstairs first,” her father said. “Eat a lot before you go sleep, ok?” he told Victoria then turned to Donghae, “Make yourself at home.” 
 
With no words to So Rae he walked out. The bitterness was so obvious on So Rae’s face. Victoria turned back to her food taking bites and bites of it. 
 
“Lee Donghae, should we take a walk after this?” So Rae asked. “A walk at night sounds romantic, doesn’t it? And should we go watch a movie tomorrow?” 
 
Victoria grabbed the napkin beside her and wiped her lips clean. 
 
“Let me know how your date goes tomorrow,” Victoria smiled. “See you tomorrow, Donghae.” 
 
Getting up Victoria left the table and started toward her bedroom. So Rae was so sick. Wasn’t she embarrassed with her acting? Besides it wasn’t as if Victoria didn’t know that she and Donghae barely associated closely anymore. And the atmosphere had the words “Awkward” written all over the place. 
 
/\_____/\
 
When Victoria disappeared down the hallway, Donghae set down his chopsticks. 
 
“Look, Victoria doesn’t care anymore,” Donghae pointed out, “so stop trying to get her mad. Victoria’s already preparing for her wedding, isn’t that what you wanted?” 
 
Scooting his chair back he walked out. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Plopping down onto her desk chair she stared at her reflection in the mirror before her. The memory of So Rae wiping Donghae’s lips with that napkin sweept across her mind and stuck there. She stared at herself for so long. The solemn glare in her eyes held so much depth filled with regret and loss. 
 
All the many small things they’d gone through and done together ran past her eyes. So many things had occurred between them. But now, they were going to go their own ways. 
 
The door opened catching her by surprise and she saw none other than So Rae. 
 
“What?” Victoria started off by asking. 
 
“Are you really able to remain calm like this?” questioned So Rae. 
 
Victoria frowned, “Why? Are you worried about my feelings, unnie?” 
 
So Rae grimaced at her words, but caught a hold of herself and said, “I don’t know, but I believe you aren’t giving up like this. You’re up to something, aren’t you?” 
 
“Unnie, why can’t you accept things the way they are? Just like when someone is being nice to you, why are you always rejecting?” Victoria asked dismayed. “Don’t you think these kind of actions are regretful?” 
 
“What’s this? Are you trying to lecture me about being righteous?” 
 
“Maybe so, maybe not,” Victoria open mindedly replied. “Unnie, while I still care, don’t treat me like this.” 
 
So Rae glared upon her, “You’re hiding something, aren’t you?” 
 
Victoria returned a long stare, “I never hid anything from you, if I am, it’s probably because of the fact that you never approached me.”
 
So Rae sneered at her, “I don’t believe that you’re looking after me. I’ll never believe anything you say.”
 
She left the room with the door wide open. After a long sigh Victoria got up and closed the door. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Donghae ran along the sidewalk after purchasing the cup of coffee he’d missed that morning. Running pass a glamorous window display, he paused, backtracked, and turned to stare at the house furnishings. Opening the door he walked in to find sets of magazines, home decorations, and plenty of other comfy attire for the home. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Victoria looked up when a magazine landed on her desk before her eyes. Surprised, she looked up to see Donghae standing in front of her desk clutching onto a cup of coffee still steaming hot. 
 
“You probably haven’t finished your grandma’s house,” he told, “I remember seeing that the place is a little run down. Since you probably have the money now, why don’t you look at some designs inside and get someone to finish the place for you?” 
 
She eyed him for a long time then glanced at the magazine. It was thoughtful, very thoughtful. 
 
“Thanks.” 
 
The day flew by as usual. It was lunch with Kyuhyun then back to work, and bidding farewell to Donghae before leaving. It was a typical day, too typical that it was boring. She hadn’t heard anything from Mi Sun, nor had she heard anything from her. Victoria wondered how her fake investigation on Man Shik was coming along. 
 
Dinner was silent. Just the clatter of utensils against ceramic plates before So Rae left the table after her father. There was really nothing to be said between them. Then Victoria wondered, when she headed back up to her room, if her father was still going to boot So Rae out of the company. 
 
At midnight Victoria was still awake. 
 
Her phone beeped and she made a grab for it energy-less. 
 
“Want to come out for midnight breakfast?” it was Donghae. 
 
The longing she’d quickly buried within her lunged out. She really wanted to go, but her duty to Kyuhyun as his fiancée stopped her. Long silent minutes ticked by and she finally replied. 
 
/\_____/\
 
That happy smile of his sparked onto his face when he received her message. Grabbing a sweatshirt he raced out of the hotel building and darted through the front doors only to find that it was pouring outside. 
 
Tilting his head up toward the darkened sky he flinched when raindrops landed on his eyes and face. Hesitating about whether to head back in and grab an umbrella or not he stood in spot for a few seconds. However, he was more worried about whether Victoria was already at their meeting place or not. If he was late and she tired of waiting she might leave. He didn’t want to miss her. 
 
Various umbrellas of all colors busily crossed the street as he ran down the crosswalk. The shivering rain ran down his cold spine before he finally reached the café where they’d promised to meet. Pausing by the window he glanced in wondering if Victoria was already there, but didn’t recognize anyone similar to her figure. Grasping his hands together to summon up some warmth he glanced around wondering where she was. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Victoria stopped in her steps when she stepped outside the front door. She should have realized that it was raining. Didn’t she hear the raindrops splashing against her bedroom window earlier? Shaking her head she turned around and reached for the doorknob, but her hand stopped midway. What if she went back in and someone caught her? She wouldn’t be able to meet up with Donghae that way. 
 
Biting onto her bottom lip she turned back around, pulled her hood up over her head, and started for the stone steps. It would be a waste of time trying to get the driver to take her there. For all she knew he was most likely asleep so that he could wake up early in the morning to drive her father to work. Through the midst of the rainfall she ran her way down the road crossing street after street. 
 
While running there plenty of thoughts ran across her deep mind. Was she doing the right thing? Was going out to see Donghae at midnight mean that she was wavering? What would happen if someone found out? What would Kyuhyun think of it? What was she doing? 
 
Stopping midway across the pedestrian crosswalk she could feel her chest pumping up and down. Maybe she should head back and tell Donghae she couldn’t make it. Looking up and slightly turning around, she immediately paused. Turning back around she recognized Donghae standing in front of the café jumping and moving around in attempts to keep himself warm. 
 
He was literally drenched as if someone had dipped him into a pool and tossed him back out. The sight was pitiful. How long had he waited? Had he sent her that text from this place? If she left now, what would happen to him? 
 
Silently her feet trudged forward and as she started toward him she realized that he hadn’t noticed her. Pausing beside him she reached a hand out and tapped his arm. He turned to her surprised, but that smile lit up his face. It made her quite happy as well, but she didn’t show it. 
 
“Hey,” she greeted. 
 
Over a hot cup of tea they had some biscuits and buns. 
 
“Were you asleep?” he asked. 
 
Victoria shook her head as she picked up another biscuit. 
 
“Why weren’t you sleeping?” 
 
“Then, why aren’t you sleeping?” Victoria asked after a moment of silence. 
 
Donghae smiled as if he she had caught him off guard, “I just couldn’t.” 
 
Had he been feeling empty, too? Had he been feeling as bad as she? Had he been thinking about them as she had? 
 
They didn’t say anymore, but left the shop quietly. 
 
“How are you getting back?” Donghae asked. 
 
Victoria felt her pockets then looked at him with a sheepish smile, “I used up the rest of my money on the food. I guess I’ll walk.” 
 
“I’ll walk with you,” Donghae offered quickly as if he’d been ready for it, “it’s late, the streets are dangerous if you’re alone.” 
 
The thought generated some warmth in Victoria. 
 
“The rain has stopped,” Victoria pointed out, “it’ll be ok.” 
 
He didn’t say anything and she couldn’t help but turn to look at him. Neither of them wanted to part. 
 
“How about I walk you back and you can lend me some money to ride a cab home?” Victoria suggested. 
 
Walking step in step, quietly, and slowly they crossed the pavement toward the five star hotel he inhabited. Silently being with him felt so different from silently being with Kyhyun. She didn’t feel a sense for the need to talk or begin a conversation. There wasn’t a single hint of awkwardness between them. Victoria felt comfortable. 
 
“Do you want to come in and dry yourself up?” he asked. 
 
When Victoria turned she realized they’d reached the front doors of the hotel. It had been a quick walk, she was disappointed. 
 
“No,” she shook her head. 
 
If she went in, she was unsure if she’d ever walk out. 
 
“I’ll be back real quick,” he told then rushed in. 
 
Victoria turned away and glanced up toward the sky. Within seconds the pounding of footsteps caught her ears and she turned to find Donghae running toward her with a fluffy towel in hand. 
 
“You should dry yourself up before getting into the cab,” he told handing it to her and held out some money, “don’t worry about it, you don’t have to pay me back.” 
 
Grabbing the thick towel she reached for the money with a smile. 
 
He smiled back, “Get home safe and be careful.” 
 
“Thanks,” Victoria thanked, “you too, take a warm shower before sleeping.” 
 
Unwillingly, she turned around and started toward the street. She caught a cab easily, but before getting in she turned around to find him still standing there. They waved to each other before she got in. 
 
Once the door closed she turned to look at Donghae before the driver drove off. She then turned to look at the towel he’d handed her and smiled. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Closing the door to the bathroom he walked into his bedroom. Opening the little drawer next to his bed he pulled out the blue scarf Victoria had handed him on his birthday. It had gone from a simple gift to something he treasured very much. Holding it in his hand he laid down on the bed wondering if she’d gotten home safely. 
 
His loud sneeze drew a lot of attention toward him the next morning. So Rae turned to look at him as they walked into the building. 
 
“Did you catch a cold?” she asked. 
 
“No, must be allergies,” he guessed. 
 
“Get some medicine,” she told before walking ahead of him. 
 
Stopping midway in the hallway he reached a hand up toward his nose. 
 
“Eew,” he muttered. 
 
“Is something wrong?” 
 
He turned to find Victoria walking toward him. 
 
Quickly sniffing he put down his hand, “No.” 
 
“You look a little pale,” she pointed out. “Are you sick?” 
 
“No, I’m fine,” he insisted. 
 
“You should eat some medicine,” she told. “You’re so frail, that’s why you’d get sick easily.” 
 
He wondered what she meant by that. 
 
“I’m a masculine person, you know!” he called after her as she walked by. 
 

***This chapter is complete evidence that neither can let go of the other. They're always thinking about each other no matter the circumstances, now if only the two of them could beef up a little and become stronger :/

***This is the last time you'll see the two of them peacefully together as next chapter will change everything else

***And Victoria will totally change herself once she shatters next chapter. Her hopes for Donghae never died, the way she came out to meet him so late at night and how she slowly walked him back to his place just shows it. She's really given her all to him :)