70

Their Kingdom Panorama

 

/\_____/\
 
When Mi Sun walked out she found Donghae and Victoria talking closely together, humongous smiles on their faces. As the door closed behind her with a loud shut the two turned around alarmed. A worried expression escaped onto Donghae’s face before he stepped away. Victoria didn’t seem to notice it, though. 
 
Glancing at Donghae with a smile she said, “Can I talk to Victoria for a bit?” 
 
He hesitated and she could see from the looks of it that he didn’t want to leave Victoria alone, at least not with her. 
 
“I’m just going to tell her something.” Mi Sun assured. 
 
After another second of hesitating Donghae finally left the room. Mi Sun then turned her full attention onto Victoria. 
 
“So Rae is looking for trouble for you,” Mi Sun warned, “I hope you can stand up to the trouble she’s going to give you.” 
 
“Why? Is something going on?” Victoria asked. 
 
Mi Sun pulled her lips together into a line and placed a hand on her shoulder without a word. 
 
/\_____/\
 
“What did she tell you?” Donghae asked when he returned. 
 
Victoria, who had been fumbling over Mi Sun’s warning, was unsure about what to say to Donghae. What would cause less worry? She didn’t want to worry him or let him feel hurt. Victoria only knew that she really wanted to protect him. 
 
“Work-related,” Victoria shrugged. “It involves my father.” 
 
“Ah…is that why she asked me to get out?” 
 
With a smile she nodded. 
 
/\_____/\
 
That evening, Donghae went guitar shopping. When he returned to the suite he got on the internet for the first time in a long time and searched for songs and music sheets. For the rest of the night he practiced singing a few verses. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Victoria looked up surprised when So Rae made the most shocking announcement, ever. 
 
“Father, tomorrow night I want to invite my boyfriend over for dinner. You’re ok with that, right?” 
 
Boyfriend? So Rae was seeing someone? 
 
“Tomorrow night doesn’t matter.” 
 
“Then, our whole family has to be here for dinner.” So Rae smiled. 
 
Victoria stared at her elder sister wondering if she was pulling a prank or if she really meant it. 
 
/\_____/\
 
The following morning after Donghae sent So Rae off to work, he drove his way toward the center of Seoul where the biggest administration building resided. It was a large skyscraper with tinted windows heavily reflecting the shine of the sun. Just looking up at it made his head spin. 
 
He contemplated to himself again if he really was up to doing it. After a moment of hesitation he walked in. To better his skills, he really needed him. Even though he hated it, it was only fact that he was the only one who might offer lessons without asking for payment. 
 
Donghae felt half embarrassed when he walked up to the counter. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Kyuhyun started down the hallway before his secretary immediately shot up from her desk. He thought she would give him a morning greeting, but the words that trailed out of weren’t what he’d expected. 
 
“Director, there’s someone that’s waiting for you. We tried to explain to him that appointments with you aren’t possible unless made beforehand, but he kept begging…” 
 
“Don’t worry about it, where is he?” Kyuhyun asked wondering what kind of situation it was. 
 
“In the waiting room.” 
 
With a nod he started down the short hallway averting from his own. The large clean windows were whitish-yellow that morning. The waiting room was fully furnished with soft couches, some magazines and books that promoted business with a table in the middle. However, the man that sat there that morning didn’t seem interested in burying his nose within the pages of a book. And his silhouette was somewhat familiar. 
 
After a moment the name left his mouth, “Lee Donghae?” 
 
Donghae spun around surprised and got up. Kyuhyun started toward him. 
 
“I didn’t expect you.” 
 
“Nor did I expect to come here,” Donghae expressed, “I have a favor to ask.” 
 
“Go ahead,” Kyuhyun urged after a moment of silence. 
 
He could only wonder what Donghae needed to ask. 
 
“Victoria really likes the guitar, so I want to play a song for her. Can you teach me how to play?” 
 
The request stunned Kyuhyun into quietness. Donghae, his rival, wanted him to help him learn something for Victoria? He definitely had some guts to come over and ask that of him. Kyuhyun found it courageous, however, that Donghae had taken the initiative to come forward and talk to someone who was his opponent. 
 
Kyuhyun smiled, “Ok, but this doesn’t mean I’m letting you win easily.” 
 
/\_____/\
 
Her eyes darted back and forth toward the hallway wondering where Donghae was. He hadn’t gone somewhere unaccounted for, had he? She worried. 
 
An hour later, Donghae finally appeared from down the hallway. When he stopped beside her desk, she was ready to let out a shout at him. 
 
Holding a hand up to her lips he said, “Shhh!” 
 
Reaching into his pocket he slipped out a piece of chocolate placing it into her hand. With a cheeky smile he walked passed her and coolly took a seat at his usual place. Victoria snorted and glanced back at him. When she turned around the man before her startled her. 
 
“Uncle,” Victoria immediately greeted. 
 
Chairman Cho smiled at her, “You haven’t been over lately, my wife’s been wondering about you.”
 
“Ah..” was all Victoria could utter. 
 
“Has your father spoken to you about the wedding?” 
 
Victoria tried her best to remain calm under his presence, which was certainly full of pressure. She hoped that Donghae wasn’t watching. It might look suspicious if he did. 
 
“Yes.” 
 
“Have you thought about it?” 
 
His smile certainly expected a “Yes” from her, but Victoria couldn’t give it. Especially not when her boyfriend was just behind her. Why did Kyuhyun’s father have to make a trip to the company that morning?
 
“Lets do this then,” he suggested, “why don’t you come over for dinner tonight and we could talk?” 
 
“I don’t think I’m able to tonight,” Victoria excused, “So Rae unnie has something going on.” 
 
“Then how about tomorrow night? It should be fine, right?” 
 
The look in his eyes forced her to say, “Yes.” 
 
He laughed cheerfully and patted her shoulder, “We’ll be waiting for you then. Work hard now.” 
 
Victoria nodded nervously and watched as he walked off. Chewing her bottom lip she slightly glanced back to see Donghae eyeing her. 
 
“Don’t worry about it,” he smiled. “It definitely won’t happen.” 
 
She returned him a smile. 
 
He started toward her and placed a hand on top of her hair.
 
“I’ll snatch you away like a white knight before it ever happens because I’m that cool.” 
 
The joke left a laugh coming out of . 
 
/\_____/\
 
A lot of things changed that evening. So Rae stayed behind extra late. 
 
On the way to her house, she said, “Come over for dinner, I have something to talk to you about.” 
 
“Huh? Me?” he pointed a finger to himself as he glanced into the rearview mirror. 
 
“Who else is in here?” 
 
“But why?” Donghae wondered. “We could talk now. If you want to go somewhere, I can take you there.” 
 
“No, I already told the nanny that you were coming over.” So Rae told. “Why? Are you trying to back out of this?” 
 
“Uh…that’s not what I meant…” he tried wondering if he’d insulted her somehow. 
 
When the car stopped in front of the house, So Rae was first to get out. 
 
“Come in,” she told. 
 
Donghae hesitated. Why did So Rae need to talk to him? And what about Victoria? Was Victoria still home? Was this some kind of work related matter? 
 
He followed So Rae up the steps glancing around as if he’d find some kind of escape route. The heavy atmosphere of nervousness was saddening even more penetrating than the silence which buzzed between them. 
 
So Rae opened the door and led him down the hallway toward what he recognized as the dining room. The table was set up with fine dishes and there sat Victoria next to her father. Their eyes met as soon as he stepped in. Before he could say anything, So Rae tugged at his arm pulling him closer to her. 
 
She announced, “This is my boyfriend, Lee Donghae.” 
 
The utter moment of shock sent a wave of silence floating through the room cracking like a piece of glass. Donghae’s eyes enlarged in shock and Victoria stared stunned. 
 
“I…” Donghae started. 
 
“Dad, you’ve met before, right?” So Rae questioned. “He’s also my chauffeur.” 
 
“Ah…is that so?” her father seemed uninterested. “Sit down, so we can eat.” 
 
So Rae smiled and half dragged Donghae toward an empty chair across from Victoria. 
 
It was indescribable how uncomfortable it was. For the first time, he was unable to look at Victoria. What if she misunderstood him? What if she thought that he’d two-timed her? What if she thought he still had feelings for So Rae? So many worries rushed through his head and he realized then, that Victoria wasn’t eating. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Victoria’s ears had gone deaf. She was unable to make sense of anything nor understand the sight before her. Donghae and So Rae…together? It was just…unbelievable. It couldn’t happen. It couldn’t have happened. Her heart vibrated heavily against the pain, amount of anger, and sadness sweeping through it like a hurricane.
 
“What’s wrong? Why aren’t you eating?” her father questioned. 
 
Victoria’s eyes darted up at Donghae who couldn’t raise his head so that his eyes could meet with hers. Just what was this? Was this real? 
 
“Here,” her father placed a piece of meat on her plate. 
 
Averting her gaze she picked up her chopsticks and ate the tasteless food. This was just an act, right? It was just an act to force her to agree with her and Kyuhyun’s wedding. She being set up. 
 
Donghae…no mater what, she still wanted to believe him. That’s right, she shouldn’t doubt him if her feelings for him were real. She had to believe in him no matter the circumstances. 
 
“Right, Victoria?” 
 
She shot her head up to find So Rae smiling at her. 
 
“You introduced me to Donghae.” 
 
Victoria’s lips fell apart and she glanced at Donghae who stared back. She couldn’t read his expression. She really couldn’t read his expression. So Rae was really pushing her toward the edge of a cliff because her nerves were trembling and her mind was going haywire. Just something so simple like this was already causing her to lose it. 
 
Victoria really wasn’t as strong as she used to be anymore. 
 
The pounding of her heart was so fierce that it felt as if her whole body were shaking along with it. She liked Donghae too much, so much. What if Donghae would really betray her? 
 
She mentally slapped herself. If she lost to So Rae like this, she would only admit defeat to the other things So Rae would come up with. Victoria couldn’t show that she was such an easy opponent. Swallowing, she re-gathered her courage. 
 
“No,” Victoria started, “I don’t know how you met, but I never introduced you to Donghae. I didn’t introduce you to each other because I know your standards for a partner are way too high. Wouldn’t you like someone like…Cho Kyuhyun?” 
 
So Rae’s smile disappeared into a scowl. 
 
“Victoria,” her dad called.
 
Victoria switched her gaze back to her food suddenly feel angry that So Rae wanted to tempt her. And she’d used Donghae, her most important person. 
 
/\_____/\
 
After a few minutes, Donghae spoke up, “I have something on, so I’ll be leaving first. Thank you for the meal.” He turned to her father, “Have a good night, sir.” 
 
Getting up he started down the hallway. A few seconds later he heard footsteps following him. Just from the sound of it, he knew that it wasn’t Victoria. However, he didn’t bother to stop. 
 
“You’re going to go just like this?” So Rae’s voice resounded into the air as he slipped his shoes on. 
 
Opening he door he turned around to look at her silently. 
 
“I thought you might have something to say.” 
 
“You’re very funny, Bang So Rae. I had no idea you’d do this.” 
 
So Rae just smiled, “I’ve only recently discovered the truth about you and Victoria, but don’t worry, I won’t destroy the two of you just yet.”
 
His eyebrows twitched. So Rae knew about him and Victoria? She knew that they were seeing each other? It felt like bad news more than good news to him. 
 
Swallowing slightly he said, “What do you want?” 
 
“I’m warning you, Lee Donghae, if you don’t come over to my side Victoria will be in worse trouble than she is now.” 
 
“You’re scary,” Donghae quietly commented. 
 
“Don’t think you can quit either, because I won’t let you. Not until I get rid of Victoria will I fire you.” 
 
Unable to listen any longer he turned around and walked out of the house. Just what had gotten into So Rae that she’d become so menacingly angry? In what way did she plan on hurting Victoria? And how could he protect Victoria? 
 
/\_____/\
 
After the door closed Victoria stepped out into the hallway to see So Rae just turning around. The expression on So Rae’s face hardened before she started toward her. 
 
“Were you upset to see him come with me?” So Rae asked expecting Victoria to start off with a retort. 
 
“No.” 
 
Actually, the answer had been a yes. 
 
“You must have been jealous with the fact that he could come in with me, but never with you.” 
 
Victoria winced. What did she mean by that? 
 
So Rae took a step forward so that her shoulder brushed hers. 
 
So Rae quietly whispered dangerously, “I know that you like Lee Donghae, not Cho Kyuhyun.” 
 
She slightly turned her face to look at So Rae who sent a smirk her way. 
 
“I know about you and Lee Donghae,” So Rae told, “imagine what father might do if he finds out. Who would be hurt the most? You or your beloved?” 
 
Victoria eyed So Rae at her threat. 
 
“Think about this hard and make a real good decision,” So Rae continued, “ruin Donghae or marry Kyuhyun.”
 
So Rae turned and their eyes leveled. 
 
“You’ll never be happy either way,” she told. “because Kyuhyun loves you, but you don’t love him, and Lee Donghae doesn’t love you.” 
 
Without a moment of hesitation So Rae purposely pushed her with her shoulder before walking away. Victoria was too dumbfounded. It seemed like her brain was still too stunned from dinner because nothing, not even a swear appeared in her mind. 
 

***Victoria's still so innocent :( But she'll certainly get back at So Rae :)