20

Their Kingdom Panorama

 

/\_____/\
 
“Where is she?” she heard her father’s loud voice come from the living room. 
 
“I’ve called her over and over, but she isn’t answering her phone.” the nanny’s voice replied. 
 
Victoria glanced into the room to see her father sitting on the soft velvet couch comfortably. The nanny by the side with hands clasped in front of her. 
 
“Call her again and tell her to come home this instant!” her father roared. “Does she not know that it’s not good for her to stay out this late? What if the media catches pictures of her strolling around recklessly?” 
 
“She’s not as reckless as you think she is.” the nanny protested gently. 
 
“Call her!” 
 
Were they talking about So Rae? 
 
Turning around Victoria headed toward the front door and took a step outside. Glancing up at the crescent moon she wondered if Donghae was with her. 
 
/\_____/\
 
On the drive to her home Donghae finally realized how late it was. It was way past midnight. He hadn’t realized that So Rae had stayed that long at the bar. If he’d at least remembered to check the time he’d have brought her back sooner. Would he get in trouble if he was spotted bringing her into her home drunk? 
 
Biting his tongue he glanced into the rearview mirror to see So Rae sitting in the back with eyes closed. She’d finally fallen into a sleep after he’d forced her into the car and now that they were finally on the road he was beginning to wonder what that was all about earlier. Who had she been crying about earlier? 
 
Finally reaching the house he parked the car, got out, and opened the back door. Lifting So Rae onto his back he walked toward the black door and pressed the receiver. 
 
“Who is it?” a woman’s voice asked. 
 
“I’m Bang So Rae’s driver, could you open the door, please?” he asked. 
 
A click resounded and he pushed the door open. When he saw the stairs a scowl appeared on his face realizing that he’d have to carry her up the steps. After a minute he found himself facing the large home he’d seen the other night and wondered when he’d be able to get a real look at the house in the daytime. 
 
Donghae took a step forward and heard the door opened. Footsteps approached him and he found a nanny running toward him. 
 
“Oh my gosh! What happened?” she asked obviously worried. 
 
“She’s drunk,” Donghae replied. 
 
“Hurry her in!” the nanny ordered. 
 
Donghae nodded and took another step forward, but came to a pause when he noticed a pair of eyes staring over. Victoria’s eyes were full of concern and questions, whether it was for him or for So Rae he didn’t stop to ponder over the thought. Turning away he headed toward the door and from the corner of his eye noticed that Victoria’s eyes never left him. 
 
After setting So Rae down onto her bed he walked out after the nanny thanked him. When the door closed behind him he stood there with his back against the wall and stared at the ground. He didn’t want to leave yet. He wanted to know how So Rae was doing before he left. Even though it was late he didn’t mind waiting. 
 
He lifted his head up when soft footsteps appeared by the stairs and he saw Victoria slowly pause at the top. There was something about her stare that he couldn’t figure out, but before they could speak to each other the door opened and the nanny stepped out. 
 
“So Rae is fine,” the nanny told, “since it’s very late would you like to stay for the night?” 
 
Donghae raised his eyebrows surprised with her suggestion. 
 
“Her father probably wouldn’t mind, but I’m so thankful that you brought her back even when it’s this late out. We were so worried about her.” the nanny told. 
 
Donghae opened his mouth to retaliate, but the nanny cut him off. 
 
“Come this way, I’ll prepare a room and some clothes for you,” she offered. 
 
She started down the hallway leaving him speechless. Donghae took a step forward, but suddenly recalled having seen Victoria. When he turned around he saw that she was no where to be found. 
 
/\_____/\
 
“They were drinking together?” she asked herself after closing her bedroom door. 
 
She stared at the ground unsure why that certain thought bothered her. Walking over to her bed she dropped down onto it and buried her face in its sheets. 
 
She’d been wanting to ask him questions about work and about how he was doing. Heaving a sigh she reached for her stuffed animal and looked into its face. 
 
“But he’s staying the night, so I’ll talk to him tomorrow morning,” she smiled. 
 
In the morning Victoria found that her eyes were already open even before the sun was up. Deciding to take a morning shower she grabbed her towels and walked into the luxurious bathroom once again amazed by it’s spaciousness. After a long debate she decided on the clothes her father had urged her to dress in. Flocked in all white she headed down the stairs and started for the kitchen. 
 
However, down the hallway a familiar song caught her ears and turned her attention toward an open door down the small hallway down the left hallway just before the door to the kitchen. Stopping in her tracks she allowed the guitar strings to drift through midair and into her ears. It was familiar. 
 
Cocking her head to the side she glanced down the hallway to find that a the square patterned door had been left open. Slowly walking toward it she discovered that it led to the large green field out back. Stepping out onto the grass with just her slippers on she found that she was more and more amazed by the home. 
 
Fat healthy green trees grew along the sides of the field and a net hammock had been tied between two steady trees. Benches and gardens of flowers grew along the sides leaving the bare middle with grass. It was meant to be relaxing, she supposed. 
 
After browsing her eyes around she caught someone sitting on the grass with his back to her. A guitar case sat by his side. 
 
She stared at his back for a while before walking forward to find out his identity curious about who would be strumming away at his guitar so early in the morning. Especially at a house that wasn’t his. When she paused by his side she thought she recognized the side of his face. Frowning in doubt she crouched beside him with arms around her knees and felt her eyes grow in surprise when he suddenly turned to her. 
 
The music stopped and the wind drifted into the air between them with a quiet whistle as their eyes met. 
 
“Ah…you!” she pointed her finger at him.
 
He smiled at her kindly, “Hi.” 
 
“What are you doing here?” she asked. 
 
“Relaxing,” he replied turning back to his guitar. 
 
“You’re playing that song,” she said. 
 
“Hope is a dream that doesn’t sleep,” he started playing the chords again and turned to look at her. 
 
Victoria felt their eyes meet again and suddenly looked away unsure of the shyness she was suddenly overwhelmed with. Getting up she started scratching the back of her head. He got up after her and held out a hand. 
 
“I’m…” 
 
“Cho Kyuhyun,” she finished for him. 
 
He stared at her as if shocked, but smiled anyway. “I didn’t think you’d remember.” 
 
“Why wouldn’t I?” she asked. “You followed me back then.” 
 
“And you’re…” 
 
“Victoria Song.” 
 
He smiled excitedly, “So Rae’s sister?” 
 
Victoria’s stare at him changed into a very curious one. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Donghae awoke early amazed with the bedroom he’d been given last night. Deciding to dress out of the clothes the nanny had given him last night he slipped back into the suit he’d been wearing before. When he opened the door he discovered that the hallway was empty, soulless. 
 
He found himself walking back and forth down identical hallways before realizing that he was lost. At last, he came across the stairs where he’d seen Victoria last night and made his way downstairs. Donghae recognized the hallway as the first one he’d stepped in after walking in through the front door. 
 
Turning to look around at the rich white walls he turned back to look down the hallway. Curious about what was ahead he started moving forward when music caught his ears. Pausing in his step he glanced out at the end of the hallway to find that a door to his left had been left open. 
 
Deciding that there was no harm in exploring he started toward it and felt awed by the sight outside. Despite browsing around he was still caught by the music playing. When he turned to look straight ahead he saw Victoria walking toward someone. 
 
Curiosity made him shift his whole body to watch them. When Victoria crouched down by him he felt a snort escape his lips. Did they know each other? 
 
“It looks like you’re getting along fine here,” he said quietly. 
 
Uninterested by the scene he turned around and headed back inside. 
 
/\_____/\
 
“Were you the one who stopped by the other day?” Victoria asked. 
 
“Ah…that…”
 
Victoria turned around to look at the house, “So Rae unnie’s still sleeping. You know she came back drunk last night, right?” 
 
“Uh…” he started. 
 
Victoria smiled before turning to head back inside. 
 
/\_____/\
 
So Rae woke up with a sore neck from the position she’d been sleeping in all night. When she sat up it felt as if her brain was swishing inside her skull. 
 
“Ah…” she mumbled putting her hand up to her head. 
 
Getting up from her bed she opened the door and headed down the stairs swagging from side to side. Confused about what had happened last night she staggered toward the kitchen. 
 
“Ahjumma?” she called out. 
 
When she received no reply she continued walking forward feeling her vision blur before it returned to normal. She paused and turned when she heard footsteps coming from her left. Bitter feelings swelled up in her when Victoria came into sight and her anger fluctuated when Kyuhyun appeared from behind her with his guitar case in hand. A frown came from across her face wondering why the two of them were together. 
 
“It’s so nice of you to help out,” a voice appeared from her right and she turned to see the nanny and Donghae. 
 
Even more confused about what was going on So Rae was unsure of what to say at the moment. 
 
“So Rae, you’re up?” the nanny walked toward her. 
 
“What’s going on?” So Rae questioned feeling a little bewildered. 
 
“Your driver brought you back last night and I told him to stay since it was so late,” the nanny explained, “and Kyuhyun dropped by this morning to have breakfast with us.” 
 
So Rae glanced at Donghae who was busy carrying a set of dishes before she turned to look at Kyuhyun. Breakfast? The idea amused her sarcastically.
 
“Doesn’t his nanny cook for him at home?” So Rae asked rudely. 
 
“So Rae,” the nanny tried half glancing over toward Kyuhyun. 
 
“I don’t want to eat if he’s here,” So Rae told before walking off toward the dining table. 
 
“You what?” a voice cut in. 
 
So Rae stopped in her steps and turned to see her father walking toward them already dressed up in his business uniform. Since when had she ever seen him dress up comfortably just for a meal? 
 
“Kyuhyun is not going anywhere,” her father stated. 
 
“Uncle,” Kyuhyun said. 
 
“It goes as I say. I am the head of this house,” her father clarified. “Come on, Victoria.” 
 
So Rae bit down onto her tongue and turned around to look at Victoria who stared back at her. She hadn’t taken one step forward and the sight of Kyuhyun standing behind her so defensively irked So Rae so much she wanted to explode on the spot. 
 
“Didn’t you hear dad?” So Rae asked before turning around and walking toward the dining table.