19

Their Kingdom Panorama

 

/\_____/\
 
The dusty light shone in through the kitchen window when she pulled open the door and took a step in. The countertops were covered in dust since her one night of un-inhabiting the house. Tilting her head up she discovered the many boxes of old cereal sitting atop the fridge. The image of the dishes on the menu for breakfast back at her father’s home didn’t suit her taste. She wanted simple and easy, not elegance. 
 
The elegant life she’d wanted had died in her 5 years of life at the prison. She’d learned how to live like an animal and be an animal. Walking further into the house she found herself glancing into the small and dirty bathroom. 
 
“A makeover is what you need,” she said aloud before stepping out to overlook the whole interior of the house. 
 
Everything seemed more run down than when she’d first arrived. Flashes of the grand white walls, the exuberant staircase, the great image of her father’s home from outside made her grandmother’s house seemed poorer and poorer. Now the thought of her pitiful grandmother being alone for 5 years was starting to haunt her with guilt. 
 
Realizing now that her grandma could have been saved Victoria felt even worse and more determined to rebuild her grandmother’s home. 
 
Heading into the small bedroom she used to hate with her guts Victoria rummaged through the closet and found something comfortable to wear. After changing she sat down on the old mattress that had thinned over the years and fell into thought. 
 
Being given the chance to walk into such a house yesterday seemed like a dream. Being made the missing daughter of a rich business owner seemed fake. It was a trick the rich were playing on her, right? And when she started to allow herself to feel the joy of being the daughter of someone powerful they would just kick her out, right? 
 
Reaching a hand up to feel the ring around her neck with being aware of it she felt confused over the unbelievable events that had occurred yesterday. How did she feel about it all? 
 
/\_____/\
 
“Dae Jung found his daughter?” Mung Soo spun around in his chair, the wrinkles on his forehead were more visible than ever. 
 
His subordinate nodded from the side of his desk. 
 
“Since when? How?” Mung Soo went on. 
 
“Yesterday, she’s been in this building all along,” his subordinate replied. “But…” 
 
“But what!” Mung Soo nearly exploded. 
 
The man hesitated before going on, “The President’s daughter…she’s…” 
 
“What is it! Would you just get out with it?!” Mung Soo scolded impatiently. 
 
“She was one of the two we kidnapped, sir.” 
 
Stunned by surprise Mung Soo was unable to say anything at first. 
 
He let out a small snort full of sarcasm and disbelief, “What is this? So the one who took that necklace is actually the owner of the necklace?” 
 
Everything was silent. 
 
“You must never let anyone know about this and never appear here. If she recognizes you it’ll cause trouble. It’s even more problematic that her accomplice is here as well,” Mung Soo muttered. 
 
“Yes, sir,” his subordinate nodded before leaving the room. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Turning around the corner Victoria found herself staring up at the high solid black gate. Standing there with mixed feelings she hesitated. To go in or not? Shifting her eyes to the ground Victoria searched for the decision within her mind. 
 
The door opened seconds later and the nanny paused with a heavy frown. 
 
“What are you doing out here?” her voice was stingy and mean. 
 
“Uh…I…” Victoria started. 
 
“Where’ve you been all morning?” she sounded like she was scolding her. “Someone was looking for you this morning.” 
 
Her eyes suddenly moved toward the bag of clothes Victoria had brought with her. 
 
“What are you doing with that? Are you insulting your father for preparing such expensive outfits for you?” she asked roughly. 
 
Without waiting for her answer she turned back in after placing a garbage bag by the door. Victoria watched her go quietly before walking in after her never minding her stinginess. 
 
“But who was it that was looking for me?” Victoria asked. 
 
Who in this world knew of her that would come looking for her here? 
 
“So Rae’s fiancé,” she answered without looking back. 
 
“Fiancé?” Victoria repeated surprised. “Who’s that?” 
 
“He grew up together with So Rae,” she went on as they entered the house, “and just returned from abroad. She doesn’t show it, but she’s been waiting for him all the while. So when you meet him, don’t forget that he’s your brother-in-law.” 
 
Victoria stopped in her tracks and watched as the nanny disappeared down the hallway in a quick manner. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Donghae turned the lights off and stood in the hallway waiting for So Rae to walk out of her office. He wondered why So Rae was always the last to leave on her floor or had those women been right about her? Was she really not in good relations with her father? 
 
He looked up surprised when So Rae suddenly appeared around the corner. She half frowned at him before they headed toward the elevator silently. No word came from either of them as they reached the ground floor and made their way toward the car. After starting the engine Donghae to the road to her home. 
 
“Don’t rush back,” she suddenly spoke, “do you know any good drinking places?” 
 
“What?” he glanced into the rearview mirror to see her staring out the window gloomily. 
 
“Do you know of any good drinking place?” she repeated.
 
“Uh…why?” 
 
“Change lanes,” she suddenly ordered. 
 
Donghae did as ordered. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Victoria walked down the stairs quietly before stopping at the entrance of the kitchen. She found her father already seated at the dining table. He turned back to look at her before a smile climbed onto his face. 
 
“You’re here?” he said. “Sit down and lets eat.” 
 
Victoria walked over to the table and took a seat at the end allowing her eyes to gaze over all the many dishes on the table. 
 
“Is breakfast, lunch, and dinner always like this?” she asked. 
 
Her father laughed a bit, “Does it make you feel uncomfortable?” 
 
“Uh…no…” she lied then paused and confessed, “yes.” 
 
“Then tell me how you’d like your meals prepared,” her father said. 
 
“I…” she started unsure of how to start.
 
Ever since she’d gone to jail her three meals a day had been poorly made. How was she supposed to talk about the last 5 years? 
 
“Simple.” was all she said. 
 
Her father laughed a little and nodded, “I’ll tell the nanny to prepare something simple for you then. I heard you went out today. Where’d you go?” 
 
Victoria hesitated again afraid to tell him that she’d gone back to her grandmother’s home where she felt most comfortable. Would it disappoint him to know? 
 
“Grandmother’s home,” she replied. 
 
“Ah…” he nodded. “I’m sorry if you feel strange in this house, but please don’t be afraid to treat this home as your own. This house is yours, remember that, and please dress in the clothes I’d prepared for you. You don’t need to be shy.” 
 
Victoria nodded with an awkward smile. Of course she had the right to do whatever she wanted in the house since it should have been the home she should had grown up in, but that was also a fact that stood out to her very clearly. Because she hadn’t lived there all her life she felt like a foreigner, a stranger to the grand home. Being treated like a majestic person felt strange after having to always look after herself was awkward itself. 
 
“I…” Victoria started slowly, “I want to work at the company.” 
 
Her father raised his eyebrows half amused by her sudden request. 
 
“I want to fix grandmother’s home.” 
 
“Do you?” he asked. “I’ll give you some money tomorrow and have the driver take you to the mart…” 
 
“No,” she cut in, “not like that.”
 
He stared at her as if he didn’t get it. 
 
Victoria her lips, “I want to use the money I earn myself so I want to work.” 
 
Her father didn’t say anything and Victoria was beginning to feel for sure that she’d somehow offended him with her proposal when she knew, in the first place, that he didn’t want her to get her hands dirty. 
 
“Come with me tomorrow then,” he said. 
 
“I want my job back,” she expressed, “I want to start learning under So Rae unnie, so let me return as secretary.” 
 
He seemed to fall into a silent self debate before heaving a sigh. 
 
“I wanted to let you stay here and adapt first. I know life must have been very different for you outside of this home,” he started, “but if you insist, I’ll allow you to do as you wish.” 
 
Victoria nodded modestly. 
 
“Thanks.” 
 
The President shook his head. “I don’t want my daughter to thank me. Just call me father, instead.” 
 
Father? Victoria felt the word shake her. It was harder to mutter the word than think it. All her life, her 25 years of life, she’d never had anyone to call father. Now that she thought of it she’d never even muttered the word, ever. 
 
“F…f…father.” she stuttered. 
 
Her father’s face expression stilled and turned into a great smile full of emotions as the wrinkles at the corner of his eyes became visible. For the first time the warmest feeling engulfed her heart and she was sure then that he really was her father. She had family even after her grandmother’s death. Victoria returned the smile unable to laugh or cry. 
 
/\_____/\
 
It wasn’t as bright as he’d thought it would be inside. The dim glows from the yellow light bulbs flowed about the dust inside. Their low silver covers allowed the light to fall down in specific areas creating the shadow of a circle on the ground. Over by the counter bar lights of various shades sparkled about giving others an illusion that the cups on the shelves were different shades of each color. 
 
Across the black countertop sat two glass cups filled to the brim with cubes of ice. The busy bartender behind the counter was too occupied moving back and forth serving other rich customers when So Rae started shouting to ask for more. Donghae who sat beside her immediately turned around to see that others were looking their way. Obviously they had recognized her from papers and magazines.
 
“That’s enough,” Donghae turned back to her grabbing the bottle out of her hand. “We should go.” 
 
So Rae shook her head and suddenly dropped her head down onto the table with a loud thud. Her skinny arms flailing to her side helplessly. 
 
The loud echo of a pool ball being shot into the corner of the table resounded for the 40th time that night. Donghae heaved a sigh regretting having driven her there. Other than watching her sink her stress in alcohol he was afraid that she’d tarnish her reputation. If he was blamed for it he’d be fired right on the spot. 
 
He hesitated before grabbing her arm to lead her out. So Rae followed his lead in a drunkard manner swinging back and forth. She was bent so low that she couldn’t even lift her head up. Putting an arm around her he half held her up and escaped through the doors. 
 
The fresh breeze of the night wind passed by him as he stumbled along with her toward the car. So Rae complained and whined, but each and every word she said came out as slurs that were impossible to understand. Suddenly she began tugging and pulling her way back toward the bar causing Donghae to fight even harder against her. 
 
“Please don’t be like this!” he begged embarrassed with the stares he was getting in the lot. 
 
Doors shut and opened and he could hear people snickering. Heaving a sigh of relief when he reached the car he let go of her to search for the car keys. Too distracted digging into his pocket he didn’t notice So Rae try to steal her way back toward the bar until she tripped over her own feet clumsily. 
 
Turning around alarmed he found her sitting on the ground with hair falling over her shoulders in a poor manner. He was unsure of how to react toward her. Would it be alright to just carry her into the car? He was also afraid that having made contact with her would upset her when she woke up. 
 
Reaching a hand out to help her up he stopped when he noticed her shoulders sagging up and down before her sobs started becoming louder. 
 
What kind of tears were she shedding? 
 
Feeling sorry for her he slid down into a sitting position behind her. 
 
“Bang So Rae?” he asked. 
 
She continued sniffing and sobbing before slowly turning around. 
 
“Why? Why isn’t it you who’s by my side?” she cried. “I don’t want to be in love alone.” 
 
His questionable face disappeared and a sympathetic expression took over. For the next few minutes he was unable to bring himself to even help her in the car as he watched her tear stained face become even more drenched with tears. 

***Even the nanny of the house doesn't like Vic :/ and the nanny just told Vic a lie. Now she'll think that Kyuhyun is So Rae's fiance. 

***"I don't want to be in love alone" <--i saw that on one of my friend's statuses and promised myself i'd use it for this story hehe

***And it comes to show that So Rae is too into Kyuhyun...pitiful So Rae