27

Their Kingdom Panorama

 

/\_____/\
 
Bang Dae Jung turned around after ing the first button of his shirt to find So Rae’s mother, Hee Young, walking into the room. 
 
“I thought you were leaving,” Dae Jung commented. 
 
“Why? Is that what you secretly wish as well?” Hee Young asked walking toward the bed and sitting down on it comfortably. 
 
He watched as she turned her head around to observe every detail of the room. 
 
“The walls are still too pale,” she told. 
 
Dae Jung made no remark at her comment. Turning back to the dresser he reached for his pajamas. 
 
“How long has she been here?” it sounded more like a demand to know than just a regular question. 
 
Dae Jung glanced at his wife and turned to close the closet door before saying, “A few days. How did you know?” 
 
“Who else but Mi Sun would still be on me and my daughter’s side?” she half glanced at him as if upset. 
 
“So she actually visited you at your gallery? No wonder I haven’t seen her around,” Dae Jung told with the tone of belittling her. 
 
Everything was quiet the next moment so he decided that there was nothing more to talk about. He turned toward the door and took a step, but before he grabbed the doorknob Hee Young interrupted him. 
 
“Since your father is dead, why don’t we end this?” she asked. 
 
Dae Jung couldn’t find the energy in him to move because the suggestion was too sudden. He didn’t know whether he was surprised or devastated to hear it, but this wasn’t something that would devastate him for sure. 
 
Taking a step away from the door he turned to look at her. 
 
“Only because your father was alive and because Man Shik died did you give in. It’s about time we end this act. You know I’ve been very thankful to you for fathering my So Rae,” Hee Young told staring straight ahead at the wall ahead, “but I’m tired and I can’t go on like this. I want to get out of this suffocating house.”
 
The next moment was silent again. 
 
“You want your daughter and now you have her. I have my gallery and my money. Lets get a divorce, Dae Jung,” Hee Young finished. 
 
/\_____/\
 
So Rae looked up from the ground. Her eyes full of apprehension at what her parents had just been talking about. A heavy amount of uncertain emotions overwhelmed her and she felt like a lost child stranded in a swamp. When the doorknob began to turn she dashed down the hallway and hid around the corner feeling her heart race. 
 
Divorce? Why had her mother asked for a divorce? 
 
None if it made sense…and who in the world was Man Shik?  
 
So Rae raced down the hallway and returned to her room. If her parents got a divorce trying to reign over her father and Victoria was meaningless. 
 
Why…why did she have to feel hurt at the end? 
 
Suddenly at a loss of what to do So Rae turned out the lights and climbed into bed. 
 
When the sun rose up into the sky she woke up lazily, brushed her teeth for a few minutes, got dressed, and headed downstairs where she heard the clatter of plates and voice coming from the dining room. She peeked in to find her mother chatting with the ahjumma. They were currently setting the table. 
 
So Rae felt a rush of sarcasm run through her. How could her mother who wanted to get a divorce be setting the table for a family she didn’t want? She pressed her lips and turned around to get some air outside, but stopped when she saw Victoria standing there. 
 
They stared at each other and So Rae wanted to yell at the girl for having entered the family. If she’d stayed hidden her father wouldn’t have discovered her and her mother wouldn’t have returned to ask for a divorce. So much bitter feelings ran through her. 
 
“Good morning,” Victoria greeted with a bow. 
 
Pressing her lips firmly she prepared herself to walk away when her father walked down the stairs behind Victoria. 
 
“Victoria, why are you standing there?” he asked then glanced at So Rae quickly. “Lets go in to eat.” 
 
He put a hand on Victoria’s back leading her toward the dining room. So Rae watched as they walked pass and wondered why her father was suddenly ignoring her existence now. Why? Because of Victoria? Because he wanted to show his youngest daughter how great of a father he was? So Rae bit her bottom lip and spun around to follow after them. 
 
Upon entering the dining room her mother looked up. 
 
“Is Kyuhyun here yet?” she questioned. 
 
“Kyuhyun?” So Rae found herself repeating. 
 
A small smile appeared on her mother’s face, “I wanted to see him before I left.” 
 
“I thought you were going to leave yesterday,” So Rae told. 
 
“Sit down, Victoria,” Hee Young ordered. 
 
Victoria sat down quietly. 
 
“Ahjumma, go see if Kyuhyun has arrived,” Dae Jung ordered. 
 
The nanny nodded and walked out of the dining room. 
 
“So Rae,” her father turned to her, “what are you doing? Trying to create an argument?” 
 
So Rae’s face turned dark. 
 
“Forget it, I don’t even want to be here,” she muttered and turned around to walk away. 
 
“So Rae!” her mother called after her. 
 
Before she could even step out into the hallway the nanny had returned with Kyuhyun. She found herself staring up at him. 
 
“Why? You want to leave?” he asked with a smile. 
 
The smile that had always melted her was becoming more and more hateful now. He grabbed her shoulders wheeling her around. 
 
“Your mother invited me,” he explained. “I’ll eat real quick then leave.” 
 
“Do you always want to make me feel bad?” she asked without turning around. 
 
“If you feel guilty then have breakfast me,” he said. 
 
Giving in So Rae took a seat and watched as Kyuhyun took a seat in between her and Victoria. She wanted to roll her eyes, but held herself back. 
 
“I was thinking,” her mother piped up, “since Victoria is here, shouldn’t we hold a welcoming party for her?” 
 
So Rae glanced up at her mother wondering what the woman was up to. 
 
“Hee Young,” Dae Jung called. 
 
“Don’t you think that she might not feel at home here? It’d be a good time to announce many other things as well, don’t you think?” asked Hee Young. “Besides, So Rae hasn’t had a real party to celebrate her becoming head of the investment team. We could combine one party for two events.” 
 
“I think that’s a good idea,” Kyuhyun agreed in the spot feeling So Rae’s annoyance start to grow. 
 
“I don’t know, I’m very busy recently,” Dae Jung told. 
 
“For your daughter you don’t even want to do this? Think about how Victoria would feel.” Hee Young tried. 
 
So Rae didn’t know whether her mom had good or bad intentions in mind. The woman was unpredictable. 
 
“I don’t want a party,” So Rae cut in, “especially one that’s not even half hearted.” 
 
She felt Kyuhyun nudge her. 
 
“A party might help encourage So Rae as well as cheer her up some,” Kyuhyun smiled, “I can also help with anything you need.” 
 
What was with him all of a sudden? Trying to act friendly with her even after she’d told him right out that she wasn’t playing nice no more. 
 
“I’ll settle everything else,” Hee Young concluded. 
 
A wave of feelings rushed through So Rae. Who was the person she was supposed to be angry with now? Her mother? Father? Or was she suppose to direct it all at Victoria? 
 
After breakfast when her father had walked back up to his room to grab his portfolio for work So Rae found herself pacing through the hallway by herself. Victoria had disappeared elsewhere and she didn’t know where Kyuhyun nor her mother had gone. Turning down the long secluded hallway to her left she paused when she heard voices. Peeking in through the cracks she saw her mother and Kyuhun. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Kyuhyun had helped the nanny bring the rest of the dishes into the kitchen before walking out to find Victoria. However, he stopped when someone grabbed his arm from behind. He turned to discover So Rae’s mom. 
 
A minute later he found himself sitting in a small room full of empty boxes and an old desk. The strong sunshine was trying to come in from the large window that had been blocked with a thick white frilled curtain. He rubbed his finger alongside the chair he was sitting on to find a chunk of dust. 
 
“So Rae seems to be doing fine even without me around. She’s always so capable,” Hee Young started off, “I always wanted her to meet a good man and you would have been the perfect match if Dae Jung hadn’t suddenly changed his mind.” 
 
He listened as she heaved a loud sigh full of disappointment. 
 
She reached for his hand, “When I’m no longer here, please look after So Rae for me. She needs more from you than her younger sister does. And I believe that So Rae has had it much harder than Victoria. Even if you’re married never ever forget that So Rae also needs you as well.” 
 
“Aunt…” he tried. 
 
Hee Young shook her head, “So Rae is the most pitiful in this family. I’m going to trust in you to be her shield.”
 
Kyuhyun was confused about what to do. What did So Rae’s mother want him to do for her daughter? 
 
“Ah…Kyuhyun,” President Bang’s voice interrupted his train of thoughts. 
 
He looked up to find President Bang walking toward him with Victoria. 
 
“You two go to work together. I’m going to run some errands today so I won’t be at the office. Make sure to eat lunch together, too.” 
 
“Dad…” Victoria started. 
 
Kyuhyun smiled, “I’ll do all that.” 
 
President Bang smiled placing a hand on his shoulder before he headed down the hallway. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Why was she talking as if she was going to die? As if she was going to go somewhere far? What was with the good talk now? So Rae could feel angry tears whelm up in her eyes before she turned away from the door. 
 
“Who does that woman think she is?!” she asked aloud. “Don’t pretend as if you know me so well. For a mother who was never home…how could you…” 
 
So Rae grabbed her bag from her room and rushed down the stairs pass Kyuhyun and Victoria. She opened the door and headed out with heavy angry steps. No one called after her. No one cared to send her off. There wasn’t even a farewell. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Donghae arrived at the large house early and waited in the car. Wondering what So Rae was eating for breakfast he leaned back in his reclined chair and the radio. Yawning he stretched his arms out and folded them behind his head before closing his eyes. 
 
The sudden pounding on the glass made him jump and he twisted his body to see So Rae hitting the window. 
 
Unlocking the door he fixed his chair saying, “I wasn’t sleeping. I wasn’t…” 
 
“Go! I said step on it!” So Rae yelled through watery eyes. 
 
Confused about why she seemed to be panicking he started the car and headed off down the road. 
 
“What’s wrong?” he asked glancing into the rearview mirror to see So Rae staring out the window hard. 
 
He glanced out the road then toward the side mirror to see Victoria and Kyuhyun walking out together with smiles on their faces. Assuming it was something Victoria had done he remained quiet and promised himself that he’d have to talk to Victoria when she got to work.