65

Their Kingdom Panorama

 

She’d called her father that she’d found dinner elsewhere and had gone strolling around the streets nostalgically. A visit to the Three Musketeers didn’t sound so bad, but it was late and she didn’t feel like walking all the way over there. In the end she ate a lone meal at a small restaurant. Sitting in the corner she gazed off into the dark streets mindlessly evaluating her life. 
 
It was like reading a book at first, but it became worse as it furthered. She wasn’t satisfied with anything. Especially, the history of her going to jail for drug trafficking, which she was completely innocent of. However, Victoria knew that what had been written in records would stay there and people who knew of nothing would believe it whatsoever. There was only one conclusion: she was screwed. 
 
She didn’t want anything, ever since growing up there had been nothing that filled her heart’s desire. In the end even when she got rich, got a nice family, and had a nice home…everything had gone against her. All forces around had turned its back on her. 
 
Had she only realized the meaning of life too late? Or had she made too many mistakes that couldn’t be fixed that karma was now suddenly pulling its strings? Maybe she’d done something really horrible in her past life. 
 
When she wanted love, it hadn’t come to her. When she no longer wanted it, it was suddenly ready. Its arms held wide open in front of her waiting for an embrace she now refused to give. 
 
All because she’d submitted herself to the life that had been drawn out for her. 
 
Are you ok? Is everything alright? Can you keep up? Is it still possible to hang on? Can you bear with it? Are you happy? These thoughts poured through her mind as she made her way back home. The street lights shone down brightly upon her as she made her way up the street toward her home. It was nice to be alone. It had been something she’d been wanting these past few days, but no one had granted it for her. 
 
With thoughts determined and set aside she looked up to feel her face expression dim. A car had been parked beside the house and a shadowy figure stood leaning against it. Her feelings swayed and the things she’d felt so sure about was suddenly disappearing right in front of her. 
 
Why! 
 
Victoria glanced at the ground with no desire to walk any further. She didn’t want to have the need to spell out every explanation she needed to give because the text should have done it all. 
 
Before she even moved, he stepped away from the car walking around it. 
 
Pulling open the passenger door he said, “Get in.” 
 
Victoria didn’t move. She didn’t want to. She really didn’t want to. 
 
“Or should I drag you in?” 
 
Shifting her eyes to him Victoria gave up. All these senseless fights…when were they going to end? 
 
Donghae drove for a long time, or he was purposely taking all the time he could. The clock was striking 11 and Victoria worried about whether her father was waiting for her or not. 
 
She found it a little strange, though, about why Donghae wasn’t speaking a word. He should have at least started to ask her about the text by now, but he was so silent. Victoria glanced at him through the corner of her eyes. 
 
Was he putting on the ‘Ultimate Evil’ show or something? 
 
“Where are we going?” Victoria finally broke the silence. 
 
“Somewhere,” he finally answered. 
 
Victoria worried now. 
 
“Yah,” Victoria called, “lets talk.” 
 
“Not now.” 
 
“Then stop the car so we can talk.” 
 
“Just sit still.” 
 
“You’ve said that before.”
 
“Then I’ll say it again, just sit still.” 
 
“Tell me where we’re going first.” 
 
Donghae refused to answer. 
 
“You’re just being foolishly arrogant,” Victoria told off, “don’t tell me that the text this morning upset you. I thought you’d take it better.” 
 
“I don’t want to hear about it.” 
 
“This isn’t like you, Donghae,” Victoria stated.
 
She felt her body slide sideways when he swerved to the side. Parking the car he turned off the engine. 
 
“Don’t you think there’s a reason why I’m acting stupid?” 
 
“No,” Victoria honestly said, “because you’ve always been stupid.” 
 
He unbuckled his seat belt and stepped out of the car. Victoria remained seated and glanced to the side. Finally unbuckling herself she got out as well and walked around the car. 
 
“I don’t care if you’re someone else’s fiancée. I met you before anybody did,” Donghae started, “if it’s someone’s fault that we’re like this, it’s yours.” 
 
Victoria narrowed one of her eyes. 
 
“You jumped me first,” he reminded, “you’re the one who found me again. It was your fault that we became this.” 
 
“Are you crazy?” she asked. “That doesn’t matter anymore.” 
 
“I just want to know, that even if your life weren’t drawn out for you, would you still marry Cho Kyuhyun?” 
 
Victoria stared at him for the longest time. Millions of possibilities and thoughts chased themselves in her mind. 
 
“I thought so.” 
 
“I didn’t mean it that way.” 
 
“You don’t need to explain.” 
 
She pressed her lips together. 
 
“I like you.” 
 
“What?” 
 
“Is it because these words are coming out of my mouth that you can’t believe me?” 
 
“There’s one thing you haven’t yet understood, Lee Donghae,” Victoria told. “Sometimes, we just don’t do things for ourselves, but others.” 
 
“And there’s one thing you don’t understand,” he pointed out, “sometimes we’ll do the worst of things just to have something we’re afraid of losing. The feeling that comes afterward, you know what it is? Regret.” 
 
She found herself clenching her teeth together. The bitter memory of the memories she’d recalled earlier in the day ate at her. 
 
“You might think that I’m making it hard, but you’re making it harder,” he stated. 
 
Silence buzzed through her mind. 
 
“I know,” he began, “you don’t like him.” 
 
“If you care, you should leave me alone,” Victoria calmly said, “if you really do like me, you wouldn’t want to make trouble for me. If I like someone, I’d support every decision they make no matter what it is. Sacrificing your own happiness for other’s is the only right thing to do when you love. That, is how you care for someone.” 
 
“No.” he calmly shook her words off. 
 
The way he stared at her made her want to melt, but Victoria stood her ground. 
 
“This is why you don’t understand. You’re stubborn and too hardheaded,” Donghae explained, “when you like someone you stare at them, you hate them, you usually say the meanest things, you think about them all the time, you’ll walk slow when you’re with them, and then you realize you’re always smiling. 
 
“I only knew of it when you walked away the other day. If I let you walk away to him, I would lose what’s been most important.” 
 
Was he suddenly playing smart with her? Seriously? Seriously!
 
Should she run away or remain there? Victoria didn’t know. 
 
“Do you know what you’re doing to me?” Victoria asked. “You’re making me hate you more and more.” 
 
“I know.” he smiled as he took a step forward. “So, date me.” 
 
“Would you leave it alone, if I asked?” 
 
“No.” 
 
“You make me feel very tired.”
 
“I know.” 
 
“Then wipe that smile off your face.” 
 
“No.” 
 
He took another stride toward her with that cheeky smile of his. Victoria could feel her heart thudding real fast. Oh, how she hated how he easily controlled her feelings. 
 
A car passed by noisily, its headlights streaming on the ground ever so brightly. 
 
The next second she could feel him wrap both arms around her.
 
A small laugh escaped him, “You’re about to go crazy right now, huh?” 
 
“Shut up.” she scolded. 
 
“It’s ok, my heart’s beating real fast too.” 
 
It felt so great. Victoria wanted to fall into him and never leave. He was so full of warmth and there were no other words at the moment that described how perfect he was. 
 
/\_____/\
 
“Ok, thank you,” Mi Sun thanked before hanging up. 
 
Setting her cup of coffee aside she stood up from the couch she’d been sitting on all evening. Ever since returning to Seoul she’d rented out an apartment and had been using the living room as her office since only one bedroom had been available. And that bedroom was her bedroom. 
 
She’d refused to stay at So Rae’s house, even if it felt a bit like home staying with them. However, if she stayed there she’d just get in the middle of all the turmoil burning inside the house. So Rae was unsettled and had been focused on work ever since the incident at Kyuhyun’s engagement ceremony. 
 
How So Rae was taking it, Mi Sun wasn’t sure. But since So Rae had watched her mother slap Victoria that day she returned, she was sure that So Rae was on none other than Kyuhyun’s side. She would definitely have her eyes on Victoria for any minor mistake she’d make then be ready to pounce on her and make a big deal out of it. 
 
Mi Sun was about ready to play referee. 
 
But now it seemed Mi Sun might have to protect So Rae as well. And Victoria would have to do the rest. 
 
/\_____/\
 
Victoria looked somewhat stress free the next morning. So Rae couldn’t quite help but feel that Victoria had done something. 
 
When she stepped out of the house, Donghae was waiting for her outside his car…again. What was the reason this time, she wondered. 
 
“Never late, are you?” So Rae half seriously and sarcastically meant it.
 
Donghae smiled ever so kindly. There was something about his smile too, that bothered her. 
 
“Did something good happen?” she wondered before walking toward the door.
 
“Why?” 
 
“Never mind then,” So Rae shrugged the feelings away as she got into the back seat. 
 
She watched as another smile lit his face. Donghae turned to glance toward the house before getting in. 
 
Mi Sun was sitting in her desk chair when she reached her homey office. The way Mi Sun greeted her told her that something was up. She decided that that was the reason why she’d been feeling so strange all morning. As if she could read minds. 
 
“What is it?” she asked sitting down and Mi Sun moved over to the guest chair in front. 
 
“Man Shik died 27 years ago.” 
 
So Rae felt all papers in her hands drop. Her mind went point blank unable to understand. 
 
“What? Then why would mom talk about someone who’s been dead for 27 years?” 
 
Mi Sun seemed calm, despite her distraught emotions. 
 
“You should consider asking your mom,” Mi Sun suggested. 
 
So Rae fell into thought again. 
 
“Mom and dad got married 27 years ago.” So Rae talked to herself. “Who is he then?” 
 
/\_____/\
 
“Lets have lunch today,” Donghae proposed when Victoria entered the hallway. 
 
“I can’t.” 
 
“Why!” 
 
Victoria bit her bottom lip, “I told you yesterday that you’re just making it harder for me.” 
 
“What?” 
 
She’d already promised Kyuhyun. She’d already promised herself to do her best for Cho Kyuhyun, that she’d give him another chance, a real chance. If only idiot Donghae didn’t make his move so soon…
 
“Aish!” Victoria muttered walking pass him. 
 
“We have to eat lunch together!” Donghae persisted. 
 
Victoria waved him away.
 
“I already have the rest of the week booked,” Victoria explained, “Cho Kyuhyun, you never gave me time to set things straight. You’ve already made a mess.” 
 
“What mess?” 
 
“I already said I’d give him a chance,” Victoria finished, “it’s unfair if I leave it like this.” 
 
“Then why did you say you’d give him a chance?” 
 
Victoria’s eyes went wide, “Why do you think I said that? Why?!” 
 
“Calm down,” he tried, “you can just tell him you’re not interested.” 
 
“Like it works that way Lee Donghae,” Victoria stated.
 
“Why not?” 
 
“Because he’s a much different person from you.” 
 
Donghae gasped unbelievably, “W…what! How can you say that to someone you’re da…” 
 
Victoria her hand over his mouth. 
 
“Don’t you dare say that word in front of anybody,” Victoria warned. “You can take it as I’m two-timing right now. Kyuhyun came before you did, and I did tell you that you’re only causing trouble by being so vicious like you were yesterday. Don’t take it as I never said anything.” 
 
Releasing him Victoria walked away. Donghae took a breath of the air staring after her. 
 
“How could she…” 
 

***Ok, so we have it as Donghae finally does a face-to-face confession. Victoria who is still completely infatuated with him accepts, obviously. I mean, look at how much she likes him in here, right? ;D And I still assure you that Donghae's happiness won't last long. Note: the both of them have never been in a relationship before, they will try to protect the other without consulting the other about their problems - big wrong right there b/c communication is the key to everything. The real pain will start when Victoria breaks further on in the story. 

***So Rae finds out a little bit more about who Man Shik really is, but Mi Sun already knows his real identity - she's only hiding it from So Rae who woudl definitely go crazy with the truth. 

***This only means that Mi Sun and So Rae will cause more trouble. Mi Sun will give more silent burden to Victoria as she always claims that Victoria can do it all, carry all the burden because she's supposedly the strong one. 
 
***We'll only see how Victoria fares with all this when So Rae pulls Donghae into this mess as well and tries cornering him into a corner to do as she wishes him to do. 
 
***But as right now, I just got home and finished my dinner :) It's approximately almost midnight for me :/ Spend the whole day on campus >.< And I've currently reached 500 pages on word :DD This is currently my longest story so far, woohoo