35

Their Kingdom Panorama

 

/\_____/\
 
So Rae was silent. Very silent. Donghae stared into the rearview mirror for almost a whole minute. It was so stifling that he found it difficult to ask her what had happened. Stopping by a café he watched So Rae get out. 
 
Without closing the door she half poked her head back in, “Are you just going to stay in here?“ 
 
Donghae turned the engine off before following her in. When the wooden framed glass door closed behind him he found So Rae standing by the counter. He waited till she turned around then followed her toward a circular table at the back of the room. Walking pass the fake palm tree by the window he joined her at the table and was surprised when she pushed a cup of cappuccino his way.  
 
“For me?” both his eyebrows raised. 
 
“Who else would it be for?” So Rae asked. 
 
Grinning from ear to ear he wrapped both hands around the warm cup and took a small sip feeling his tongue burn. 
 
“That’s why you have to drink slowly,” she said. 
 
Donghae looked up and watched her drink hers slowly and smoothly. 
 
“You didn’t look like you were in a good mood, can I ask what was bothering you?” Donghae wondered. 
 
She looked up at him without movement. 
 
“I mean…we could just talk as friends outside of work. We’re not at the office, so I’m not required to treat you as my boss…right?” Donghae hesitantly asked. 
 
So Rae seemed to think about it before shrugging, “I guess so.”
 
Another heavy smiled filled him up. 
 
“So…what’s going on?” 
 
So Rae tapped a finger against her cup, “Is it my misfortune for being in the family because I’m now thinking I’ve always been unfortunate.” 
 
“Why would you be unfortunate?” Donghae wondered confused. “You have a rich family, nonetheless you have parents, and even a sister as been found for you.”
 
“Just because we’re rich, do we really have everything?” So Rae glanced at her hands. 
 
Donghae put her words into consideration. 
 
“Sure, my father has always been cold but there have been times when he’s also treated me really well. Even if my mother rarely returned home, it’s quite strange seeing her around the house nowadays. She only came back to look at father’s daughter, Victoria,” So Rae felt a dark amount of bitterness climb out with the words, “and it’s because of Victoria again that father rarely looks at me. I just feel so suffocated in that house. Even my parents are getting a divorce right now. If Victoria never entered the family, my parents wouldn’t be like this.” 
 
“They’re getting divorced?” Donghae’s eyebrows furrowed into a deep frown. 
 
So Rae didn’t respond so Donghae put her words through his ears again. 
 
“Because of Victoria?” Donghae finished. 
 
Donghae turned his face to the side as his face turned into a deep frown. Victoria had talked about a grandmother who had refused to visit her in jail and during those 5 years while serving her sentence her grandmother had died alone. To have only spoken about a grandma must have meant she’d grown up without parents. But now, when she’d suddenly gotten a family, why would she want to split her parents apart? 
 
“It doesn’t make sense,” Donghae shook his head in denial, “Victoria grew up without parents. Why would she want to split apart the parents she’d never had?” 
 
So Rae stared at him for a long time as if she’d be able to discover what he was thinking inside. 
 
“I guess she hasn’t said anything to you then,” So Rae said, “I thought she would have since you two seemed to know each other so well.” 
 
“Uh…” Donghae found himself hesitating, “we haven’t really been talking these days.”
 
“We only share the same father,” So Rae went on, “that’s the only blood tie we have.”
 
Donghae felt his eyebrows go up in surprise. 
 
“Yes, we’re step-sisters,” So Rae finished. 
 
Donghae couldn’t discover the words inside him. 
 
“What? Are you surprised?” So Rae asked as if she doubted him. “Or are you suddenly feeling sorry for Victoria?” 
 
Donghae looked back at So Rae taken aback by her words. He hadn’t thought about feeling sorry for Victoria at all. It was just that he hadn’t thought about it before hand. That So Rae and Victoria…weren’t really full blooded sisters. He’d just never put that thought to mind. 
 
“But don’t you think she’s too lucky? Growing up with a grandmother who passed away and then getting discovered by her own father at work? Then she gets the chance to enter a high class home she knows nothing about, but she gets all the attention and love? After all this, what does it make me?” So Rae asked. 
 
Donghae stared back at her. 
 
“There’s a certain way in which everyone grows up and builds their character as an adult. For most people, the way we’ve lived our past is what we reflect on most, isn’t it?” Victoria said. 
 
Had So Rae grown up poorly? Had she been all alone while growing up? 
 
“Yea, she must be a lucky one,” Donghae could feel So Rae’s eyes burn into him, “sometimes Victoria can act lower than a dog, but she wouldn’t go as far as to break up a family she’s never had. In what way would that make sense?” 
 
So Rae’s bottom lip twitched, “So, are you speaking up for her?”
 
Donghae couldn’t say yes or no, and even if he wanted to say yes he couldn’t. What if he offended So Rae? What would he do if So Rae got angry at him? 
 
“Are you on her side or my side?” So Rae asked. 
 
His eyes moved up from the cappuccino. 
 
“I’ve already told you about my resentment, you can’t pretend that you know nothing now,” So Rae told, “you said we could be friends outside of work and I’m befriending you. You can’t back off from a friend’s side.” 
 
Donghae felt his mouth open. 
 
“Victoria can’t be the only one who receives all the pity,” So Rae continued, “I’m more pitiful than she is. She can’t even carry an ounce of the pain I’ve lived with my whole life. So don’t tell me that she’s been through just as much.”
 
Donghae swallowed his dry saliva. So Rae needed a light. She was just drowning herself into being remorseful. It was hard to watch, hard to listen, and he even found it a little difficult to be with her. She was like a little angel flown down from Heaven and landing upon a land in between both Heaven and Hell. Suddenly stranded with no one to turn to she locked herself up into her own troubles only to create more. 
 
/\_____/\
 
“Awful? Awful?!” Victoria repeated the words to herself before she chewed down on her bottom lip. “You’re worse than me you awful jerk! I should just kick you down to hell!” 
 
Heaving another heavy sigh she turned around the corner pass the graffiti walls before the fenced shelter came in sight. 
 
“Hooray!!!” screams and shouts filled the air. 
 
Victoria sat crossed legged with the smile of a mother looking down upon her children feast on food she’d brought back from a long journey. 
 
“Wow! Did you make this?” 
 
“Well, I figured you haven’t had home food in quite a while.” Victoria smiled. 
 
“Was there a party of some sort?” Yesung questioned, his hands oily from the barbequed food. 
 
“It was a party, wasn’t it?!” Eunhyuk clapped his hands together before throwing a piece of kimchi into his mouth then shook his body. “Ohohoho! So goooood!” 
     
“By the way, why are you coming by so much?” 
 
Ryeowook slapped Eunhyuk slightly on the shoulder, a hit which wasn’t meant to hurt. Victoria kind of wished then that she had someone like that to play with. 
 
“Saying that I feel choked up in the house doesn’t seem right, so I’ll just say that I needed some air,” Victoria shrugged. 
 
“Why? Has something happened?” Eunhyuk asked. 
 
“Well,” Victoria glanced toward the entrance to see some more guys make their way toward them, “it’s just things aren’t going right.”
 
“Like what?” 
 
“Why would you even ask?” Ryeowook whispered. 
 
Victoria couldn’t help but smile at him. Actually, it felt nice seeing him trying to keep her from feeling awkward. 
 
“So much is happening suddenly that I’m beginning to wonder if I’m at fault,” Victoria told, “after one thing erupts, another breaks. Or maybe, it’s just that I’m bad luck.” 
 
“Why?” Yesung asked, half curious-half worried.
 
“If you want to cry, it’s ok to cry,” Eunhyuk said before he received a scowl from Ryeowook. He cleared his throat and tried again, “What I mean is, I understand. Sometimes it happens, it’s just…it’s life and can’t be helped. If we get pushed into a corner and have no other option, we just have to stick with that one option.” 
 
“It’ll be ok, I’m sure that it’s not that bad, and that everything will turn out well,” Ryeowook smiled with encouragement. 
 
Victoria returned the smile, “Well, I’m still miles away from crying just yet. I’m still quite angry, but there are a lot of other things I have to find out as well.”
 
“Well, if you ever do need anything, come by with food and we’ll listen to you,” Eunhyuk told. 
 
Another loud slap on his arm rang the air. 
 
“What as that for?!” Eunhyuk shrieked with a flinch. “I’m just saying that if she wants to comfort herself she can come here. Haven’t you heard that to comfort another, you must first comfort yourself?” 
 
After walking away from the shelter Victoria crossed the street toward a snack shop. Walking out with her purchase she crossed the street again and dug her hand into her pocket. Scrolling through her phone she pressed her lips together exhaling lightly. 
 
“Hello?” his voice came on. 
 
“It’s me,” Victoria said, “you’re not busy, are you?” 
 
A few minutes later she looked up from the bench to see him the tall Kyuhyun making his way toward her with a slight jog. She hadn’t realized that he’d really dressed himself up casually. It felt different from seeing him in that neat suit he always wore to work. Victoria got up and held the bag with cinnamon baked bread out to him.
 
“What’s this?” he wondered. 
 
“Maybe you’ve already eaten, but it’s just a simple snack,” Victoria told.
 
“Oh? Is something up?” Kyuhyun took the bag and dug his hand into it. “Wow, looks delicious.” 
 
Victoria smiled, “Well you should get something in return for always driving me around. Even from home to work.” 
 
“I don’t mind,” he told. 
 
“I do,” Victoria said and watched his expression go bleak then slightly laughed, “I’m not used to depending on others for anything. Sort of grew up that way, so it can’t be helped.”
 
“Are you telling me about yourself?” he wondered. 
 
“You did say we should get to know each other more,” Victoria half shrugged, “and you shouldn’t always make the initiative all the time. As friends, we should both call each other out, right?” 
 
Another sweet smile crept up into his face then he handed her a piece of the bread. 
 
“Have one as well,” Kyuhyun offered, “friends should share.” 
 
/\_____/\
 
How was Victoria faring? He’d only thought about it once by asking her if she was happy. Victoria never quite answered the question, however. 
The food he’d ordered by room service didn’t look delicious anymore. 
 
His swing of emotions were different somehow. Suddenly, he was beginning to wonder if feisty Victoria had purposely been putting up a front. Adjusting to her new life must have been somewhat challenging. Donghae was only finally beginning to think of it now. 
 
Reaching for his phone he called Victoria only to be directed straight to the voicemail after a few rings. 
 
“Tsh…you dare to ignore me?” he asked glancing at his phone. 

**Looks like I must remind some readers that this is JUST A STORY. Yes, I may have taken my characters evilness & annoyance up a notch but this is my first time doing it cause I want to do something different instead of having a "nice character" repetition like I always do. I said before that I LOVE these idols and respect them & that this is JUST A STORY. So don't get angry at me for making Donghae like this. His character is supposed to be like this. His character won't be such an for the whole story, for the meantime this is just how he's supposed to be. I'm not changing it, duece?