Chaerin's Guilt

Bridge To His Heart

                                     Pin oleh Jamie Rollwagen di Quotes

 

DARA’s POV

 

I won’t see him tonight huh?

 

“May I have you card please?” The cashier asked. I almost forgot about the dress I chose to wear for the dinner tonight.

 

“I am really sorry miss but I’m cancelling my order” I answered and drop the paper bag with the dress inside to the cashier table.

 

What’s the purpose of buying the dress when dinner’s cancelled anyway? I put my phone back inside my hand bag and walked towards the exit. I took a glance at the paper bag once more and remembered how captivating the dress was. I imagined a perfect night wearing the dress with Jiyong beside me. The dress is really simple yet captivating.

 

I understand why he needs to attend an urgent matter in Japan, He has a lot of responsibility knowing he is the CEO of Kwon Company, so he’s busy alright! But how I wish he chose me over his work even just for tonight. I nod my head and heaved a deep sigh.

 

It wasn’t so nice of me to think like that. He’s grown up now and with lots of responsibilities on his shoulder, and as someone who cares for him, then I just have to be a pillar that supports him.

 

I raised my head and put on a smile.

 

Oh well, there’s always another chance for a dinner-date with him anyway. I better support him on things he loves to do and I know how much he loves his job. Yeah I better cheer up so that I could cheer him up.

 

******

 

I decided not to go home yet so I stroll around and cheer myself up but the more I tried to cheer up, the more I am missing him. I am going crazy!

 

I found a fancy café and get myself a hot coffee and pick the sweetest slice of cake on the list. If only the sweetness could erase the longing that I still feel right now. I sip some of my bought coffee and it helps me on soothing my nerves. Yet it’s not enough.

 

“What kind of urgent matter was he attending to anyway?” Now I’m talking to myself.

 

Then my phone rang but sadly it wasn’t Jiyong.

 

“Yes?” I answered. It’s from our team, a friend of mine.

 

“Dara, have you heard the news?”

 

“About what?” I returned.

 

“Jiyong’s your friend right? I mean Mr. Jiyong Kwon, CEO of Kwon Hotels and Company”

 

My heart started beating fast after I heard his name. Something happened? Based on her voice, she sounds like this is a bad news.

 

“Yes, what happened?” I asked with eagerness.

 

“There was a bomb threat in one of Kwon Hotels in Japan. Nothing happened yet but for sure Mr. Kwon already did something about it. The news said that they evacuated all the people present inside the hotel and is now searching all the rooms for bombs and other threats. Scary right?”

 

“What? Oh my God!!” My body is now trembling in fear. Bad thoughts are already in my head.

 

“I just feel the need to tell you though. Where are you anyway? I’m sorry for disturbing you this late at night”

 

“No I still thank you for calling and telling me that. Besides, I-I’m in a café somewhere” I stuttered.

 

“Hey it’s already midnight. I even thought you were asleep. Go home now and don’t worry too much, CEO’s are tough just like our boss. They can handle the situation well. Be home safely okay?”

 

She’s right, we are trained on what to do if ever an emergency situation arises such as the situation that the Kwon Hotels is facing right now. But I couldn’t stop worrying about him.

 

“Thanks for calling me Soo Hyun”

 

That ends the call. I peeked at my wristwatch and it’s already past 12:00am. I didn’t even notice how late it is. But before I go home, I have to call him, I need to hear his voice because that is the only way I could calm down.

 

I dialed Jiyong’s cellphone number with trembling fingers and wait for him to pick up but looks like it’s now turned off. I am really worried even though my friend told me to not worry too much. Still, what if he was inside the hotel and bombs were activated while he’s there?

 

No, oh God no! ! What to do?

 

I tried calling Jiyong’s Dad but the line is busy. Then I called our other connections with Kwon Company but lines were busy and some were out of reach.

 

Then I decided to call Bom and she picked it up.

 

“Dara, you heard the news?”

 

“B-Bom, I-I’m so worried. I c-can’t reach him” I said with my trembling voice.

 

“Dara, situations like this happens in companies and other establishments. It might not be the same situation like this but it does happen. That’s why they know how to handle this kind of situation. I trust Jiyong, he could handle this”

 

“I know but I-I’m still worried Bom”

 

“That’s because you think too much. I know what’s running inside your head Dara. Just relax and chill alright, Jiyong will call you when he has the time. For now, just calm down and chill out”

 

She’s right, I better not think too much. I inhaled some air and exhaled the heavy load off my nerves.

 

“Thanks Bom”

 

We exchanged goodbyes and ended the call. The beating of my heart slowed down a little bit, it was all thanks to Bom. All I need to do is to trust Jiyong and wait for his call.

 

Also, I need to go home now.

 

I booked a taxi and it took me half an hour to reach the house. I peeked at my watch and it’s already past 1:00 am. Shoot! It is really late. If Sanghyun was here, I’m a dead meat.

 

Time was too slow back when I was really looking forward to see him but just right after he called, time passed by really quick that I lost track. It’s frustrating right?

 

Even though the beating of my heart slowed down, I’m still a little worried. I can’t even put away my phone, still holding it tightly on my hand in case he calls me. Why the hell is he not calling me yet? And his number is still out of reach. ! I’m gonna punch him in the face really. Yet, I can only sigh.

 

I got out of the taxi and checked my phone for incoming messages or calls but still got no clues as to where he is and what he’s doing.

 

“Damn you Jiyong! You bastard, you might survive the bomb but I will kill you to death and throw you in hell you assh*le! !”

 

I screamed, letting all the worries and frustrations out. Surprisingly, it worked. I didn’t know cursing could be a therapy. I chuckled a bit for my silliness. I’m going crazy here. Thank goodness no one’s around and no one’s home.

 

I grabbed the remote keys of the gate, walked inside and push another button to close it behind my back.

 

“Wow, as much as I don’t want to admit but I really missed that part of you when you curse more than I do”

 

That voice.., It almost made me lose my balance.

 

“Ji-Jiyong?”

 

 

JIYONG’S POV

 

“Where the hell were you, lady? I’m about to call the cops and declare you a missing person. ! You’ll be the cause of my death Dara!” I pinched the bridge of my nose and closed my eyes. As much as I want to calm my nerves, but still I’m very angry. I couldn’t even call her because my battery is dead and no one’s even home. I didn’t even bring my car and the Park’s private residence is secluded few meters away from the busy city.

 

Good thing I am well aware of the passages and our hidden exit spots that I and Dara used back in the days.

 

I watched the girl furiously but she didn’t even utter a word. Then I saw tears run down her beautiful eyes. She sobbed. She covered her face with her hands to cover the tears.

 

I approached her with haste. Did something happened? My hands reached for her shoulders and searched for bruises on her skin. Maybe something bad happened to her.

 

“Hey, Stop crying and tell me what happened. Why are you crying Dee?” I said calmly in a soothing voice. I gently pulled her to my chest and locked her in an embrace. “Shhhh, please don’t cry, I don’t want to see you like this. I’m here now” I whispered near her ears, patting the back of her head softly to calm her down.

 

I then felt her grasped the cloth of my inner vest for I am still wearing my business attire. She holds on to it as if her life depended on it and still won’t stop crying.

 

I cradle her against my chest. Hearing her cries, I will do my best to never let this woman cry ever again. I placed soft kisses to her head. Not long after, I felt her arms clung around my neck, face still buried on my chest. I lean forward to match her height so she could rest her head on my shoulder.

 

“Thank God you’re safe” She whispered in broken voice.

 

I felt her arms loosened around my neck and I too freed her from the tight embrace.

 

“So you heard the news?” I asked and placed a soft kiss on her forehead. It pains me to know that she cried because of me again. She must be really worried. “I’m sorry that I couldn’t call you. My phone’s useless right now. I’m sorry I made you worry  but I’m here now”

 

My eyes landed on a tear that escaped her eyes. I wiped it with my thumb and watched how enthralling her eyes could be. I then give her a reassuring smile.

 

“Your hand’s cold. Wait, were you waiting for me here outside in the cold?” She asked while assessing both my hands and placed both her hands atop his, warming them a bit.

 

“Well, you said you’re home so I went straight here” I said.

 

“I see, truth is I lied and I’m sorry. I was really looking forward to see you. I was already in a boutique near the restaurant when you called. But when you cancelled, I decided to stroll around and failed to notice the time”

 

I tighten my hold on her hands. “Dara I know that you have a kind heart and the fact that you don’t want me to feel guilty or anything, but you were all alone. I’ll get really mad if something or someone hurt you. So from now on, tell me what pains you, what saddens you, what makes you happy, please tell me everything because I too worry too much about you. So don’t do this again please? I was really worried why you’re still not home”

 

“I promise not to do that again. Let’s just talk inside and I’ll make you something to eat” Finally I saw her smile and looked like she’s already calmed down.

 

We talked on our way inside the house. I told her that I wasn’t hungry but still insisted that I have to eat something that could warm my body and so I let her. She prepared to cook what she calls ‘special ramen noodle soup’ while we chat even more.

 

I was sitting on the dining table while watching her in the kitchen. Her back faced mine. We then talked about the situation in Japan. I told her everything. Also that I’m flying to Japan tomorrow early in the morning.

 

Watching her, I can never get enough of her beauty. Her dream-like voice really calms me every time. The smile she flashes makes me forget the situation in Japan. Her eyes that could see through my very soul, is a warmth that takes away my plea.

 

I was enthralled by her beauty but just a simple question from her brought me back to reality.

 

“Why are you here anyway?"

 

_____________________________________________________________________

 

FLASHBACK

 

I can’t take it anymore Ji”

 

I saw Chaerin bowed her head allowing her hair to cover her face just so she could hide it. I saw how she balled her hand into a tight fist above her legs. I know that the girl is really holding it back.

 

“Then tell me” I said and eager to know. I have a gut feeling that this is something about Dara. I haven’t talked to them about what happened to me and Dara while we were on the villa, as well as what Dara shared with me about her son.

 

“W-We cont—“ –Chaerin

 

“Boss, sorry to disturb you but we have an emergency situation in Japan. The board wants your presence there. Mr. Song is on line two”

 

What the hell happened?

 

“Wait Chearin” I walked near Chaerin and pat her shoulder then proceed to my desk and take the call.

 

After hearing all the information that I need about what happened in Japan, I immediately put on my tux coat and approached Chaerin.

 

“What happened Ji?” she asked with concern.

 

“I need to fly to Japan right now. Can we talk some other time?” I saw her eyes lost its glow. I just don’t have a choice.

 

“Sure, don’t worry about it Jiyong, just be careful and call us, okay?”

 

She grabbed my hand and hold it tight. I hugged her for a brief moment and placed a soft kiss on her forehead. I saw her smile weakly before I left the room, leaving her alone inside my office.

 

******

 

We reached the airport on time and I was told that because of the sudden notice, my private plane is still undergoing flight check and needs to get re-fueled.

 

I sat on the waiting area together with some team leaders that I need to bring along with me to Japan. Then I dialed Dara’s number to tell her I can’t make it tonight. Even though I was really looking forward to seeing her, but my team needs me right now. I know she will understand. I could even tell that she was saddened by the news because of her weak voice. She fell silent for a brief moment there.

 

I ended the call when my phone automatically turned off. Suddenly, I remember Chaerin and how bothered she was by something.

 

My eyes went to search for my secretary and when I found her, I asked her to call Chaerin for me. We still have few minutes before our departure anyway.

 

She answered the call quickly.

 

“Chae, what is it that you want to tell me? I still have few more minutes so I called you. I’m really sorry that I left you like that a while ago.” I asked.

 

“Are you sure you want to know now? I mean it’s really okay with me if we talk some other time”

 

“I feel like it’s something important to you so I will listen” I stood up and walked ahead towards the area with less crowd.

 

“Jiyong, remember that night we knew about Dara’s son and you went after her? When you left, we asked Minho for some details and he told us how Dara struggled seven years ago. He said that she was diagnosed with depression during the third month of pregnancy. She only knew that she was pregnant of her fifth month. It pains me knowing we left her alone in times of need Jiyong, we spoiled unnie too much because we love her so much and all of us feel this need to protect her, but what did we do?”

 

Memories of Dara that night on the beach flashed on my head like a light that blinds me as if she doesn’t want to be seen or be found. She was screaming her heart out, trying to ease the pain, and keep all those pain all to herself. I understand how Chaerin feels right now. We all do.

 

“Chae, it’s all in the past now. Dara said that we all have to move on just like what she’s doing now. Don’t worry, from now on I’ll be with her even if she only takes me as a friend or more than that, I will always be there for her. I promise”

 

“Good to hear that Ji. But it’s not just about my guilt that I needed to see and talk to you. What I really want to tell you is that all this mess started because of… Kiko”

 

“Chaerin please, as I said, it’s already in the past so ---“

 

“No! Kiko faked the fall. She did that to herself and makes it looked like Dara pushed her. It was all Kiko’s schemes and we got played. Minho made us realize our sins and it haunts me now. It was a like a bad dream that keeps on haunting me day and night” Chaerin began sobbing.

 

“Chaerin-ah stop. I know that our guilt is eating us up but we saw what happened that day, we were so mad the we failed to notice that we are pushing her away”

 

“As I said we got played. Two days ago, Bom went to see Kiko in Japan. Knowing Bom unnie’s personality, Kiko admit’s the truth in the end. That truth proves Dara’s innocence. She was even seeing someone else even when you’re still in relationship with her”

 

My eyes grew wide in anger hearing that. I don’t even want to believe it.

 

“Dara’s innocent all along Jiyong-ah”