Chapter Twenty Eight

Taming of the monkey

'Kyu, stop fidgeting, you look great!' Hae said as he looked at his brother.

Kyu smiled. 'I can't believe I'm graduating!'

'Even with skipping years, you still managed to become the second top scorer.' Hae was so proud.

'Hae stop squishing me, you are wrinkling my suit!' Kyu whined.

A flash was seen. 'Ahhh brotherly love.' Heechul smirked. 'I bet if you two made a tape, it would sell too!'

'Heechul!' Hae was shocked.

'Please don't mention that tape again, I'm still having nightmares of monkeys!' Kyu shivered.

Hae looked from one to the other. 'T-the tape...it showed Eunhyuk....?'

'Oops, Eunhyuk will be pissed.' Heechul said calmly. 'Can't believe he still hasn't showed you.'

'W-why w-would I w-want to see it?' Hae stuttered and his face turned into a dark shade of pink.

'Oh please, fish, I know you dream of a monkey all the time!' Heechul laughed.

'D-do not!'

'Hyung, lying is a bad thing' Kyu patted Hae's back gently. 'And you always at it.'

'Talking about ....'

'Heechul!' Kyu yelled.

'Fine.' The older pouted.

 

'And the prize for excellence in mathematics goes to...Cho Kyuhyun!' The principal handed over a check to Kyu who was beaming with delight.

Hae had to wipe away a tear. He was filming it and hoped it wasn't too shaky.

'Finally we'll listen to our star student: Lee Eunhyuk, he has prepared a speech for us.' The principal clapped his hands.

'Give me that cam.' Heechul said. Hae was too lost in staring at Eunhyuk to object, he just handed it over.

Eunhyuk looked glorious in his suit. He looked all mature and serious. Hae sighed. He will miss him so badly. He quickly pushed away the pain and tried to enjoy this glorious moment of his favourite student.

Eunhyuk was nervous but hid it well. This was it. His entire future was based on this moment. He breathed in and started:

'Mister Principal, teachers, my fellow students, I know for a fact most of you are relieved cause I'm graduating today.'

Laughter was heard.

'I know I haven't been the easiest student to have. Thank you for bearing with me.'

'The speech I'm going to give is actually a final essay I was asked to write.'

'In the end I handed in some second class nonsense cause I wanted these words to be spoken at the right time.'

'Please realise the seriousness of my words, this is no joke, every single word was created with a lot of angst, uncertainty, pain but above all a feeling I can't and won't longer try to escape from.'

'The title of the essay was: What important life lessons have I learned so far?'

Eunhyuk smirked. Hae tensed up.

'Calm down, fish.' Heechul soothed.

Eunhyuk continued. 'At first I was doubting the intelligence of my teacher for the millionth time because of the lameness of the subject.'

Some classmates groaned in sympathy.

'But it is such a sneaky thing, planting a question in one's head, a question that made me lose sleep.'

For the first time Hyuk sought eye contact with Hae. They stared at each other until Hyuk tore himself away.

'It isn't pleasant to be confronted with one self. Especially when that Self isn't the nicest, brightest or funniest thing on this planet.' Hyuk sighed.

'I always thought I had a hard life. I complained within myself for being poor, for only having my mother, for not being normal in any sense.'

A wave of surprise hit the audience.

'So I put on a mask thinking that popularity was the thing to achieve in life. How I sacrificed potential great friends just because they didn't have the right image. To them...I'm really sorry, I'm the one that missed out.'

'How I toyed around with other people's emotions, going from one to the other, always in search for something, not even realising what it was I wanted. Using them simply for my own entertainment. I'm so sorry.'

The audience gasped. This is the last thing they expected. A humble Eunhyuk.

'But for one thing I am not sorry. I am not sorry for meeting you, I am not sorry for seducing you, for forcing you to be close with me.' Eunhyuk looked straight at Hae.

'You are not the only one that matters to me. I've broadened my horizon, from pure self love to opening up to a group of people that I would be willing to die for to keep them out of harm's way. So, no you are not the only one that matters but you are the only one that has the power to destroy me.'

Eunhyuk's face turned sad. 'And I know this is a huge risk, I know my chances are slim. I'm no idiot, this can be proven by my test scores.' Hyuk's cockiness surfaced but quickly disappeared.

'The most important life lesson I've learned is how to love. You taught me that. You with your tender and caring personality, your everlasting patience and your good, good heart. I never stood a chance against that much goodness. Yet I resisted you intensely, I pulled at you just to push you away, I...' Hyuk's voice broke. 'I hurt you in so many ways.'

Hae sat frozen in his chair. He tried to register all this information. He was unaware of Heechul turning the cam from Hyuk to Hae and back, filming every emotion.

'I seduced you and took your ity, do you remember? Do you remember how good we were together? Every single kiss, every touch, every look between us is magic. Can you see that? I only realised it after the first time, how much this differed from . We never had , we made love from the first time we laid our eyes on one another. The lust and passion between us kept pulling us together, no matter how much I resisted. But the love I feel for you...I tried to convey it through touches since words are so lacking.'

'Remember one of the first books you gave me? You are so tricky, my love.' Eunhyuk held up a copy of 'Taming of the Shrew'.

'You knew from the start, didn't you? You knew you would tame me with your kindness, you knew you would trap me in your web of sincerity. How I cursed at you!'

'But my darkest hours were the ones where I was powerless. Powerless against the evil that wanted to destroy you. How I worried and hurt my head trying to think of solutions. Even if those solutions would ban me from your life. That is love, right? Wanting the other to be safe and happy even if that excludes me.'

'So here I stand, in front of you, my tamed heart only beating for you. I hope you accept it. Don't accept because of pity or your natural caring personality. Only accept me if your love matches mine. Once you accept, realise that I will never let you go. You will be mine for now and forever. Others will know. They might object but I don't care.  Because, baby, together we could rule the world.'

Eunhyuk bowed leaving the audience in shock.

Hae just stared at Hyuk's retreating back.

'What are you waiting for? Stupid fish! Go after him!' Heechul whispered.

Hae woke up from his trance and clenched his fists. He got up and ran towards Eunhyuk.

'Hyukkie?'

Hyuk slowly turned around.

'Hae, you don't have to say anything here, I understand how fragile your positio...Unf.'

Hae threw himself at Hyuk. Right in the middle of the auditorium he kissed the one he loved.

Their foreheads were touching, both were panting. Tears rolled down Hae's face.

'I love you too, Hyukkie.'

Hyuk opened his mouth in surprise but couldn't say a word. His heart was threatening to explode. Tears streamed down his face.

Hae kept kissing him over and over.

'I love you so much.' Hyuk finally uttered and held Hae tight.

 

'There goes the world.' Heechul mumbled with a huge grin on his face.

' the world anyway.' Kyu responded leaving a shocked Heechul behind.