Chapter Thirteen

Taming of the monkey

Heechul and Kyu ran into the hospital. They stopped at the reception.

'Mister Lee Donghae's room please.' Heechul said.

They both couldn't wait for the elevator and just ran up the stairs.

Kyu barged into the room and froze. The sight of his brother all pale in a hospitalbed with tubes going to and from his heavily bandaged body was just too much. Heechul quickly pulled Kyu to his chest.

'He's going to be okay, I swear he is.' Heechul whispered, his eyes never leaving his friend's face on the pillow.

A nurse walked in.

'Ah, I'm glad you arrived.' She said softly.

'How is he doing?' Heechul asked.

She started listing up all the injuries he had gotten and what the doctors had done about it.

'We have to watch out for internal bleeding.' She finished. 'But normally he could make a full recovery.'

Kyu was a crying mess, he had positioned himself next to his brother and held his hand.

'His friend that called the ambulance is in shock. We had to sedate him.' the nurse continued.

'Kyu can you stay here for a bit, I'll check on Eunhyuk.' Heechul followed the nurse to the adjacent room.

'He wanted to attack anyone that touched his friend's body, he already had blood all over him from holding him. We really had to sedate him.' The nurse said softly.

'I understand.' Heechul softly caressed Hyuk's hair. 'It must have been quite a shock. How long will he be out?'

'We didn't give him much, he might wake up in half an hour or so. If necessary we'll give him another sedative.'

'And Hae, when will he wake up?'

'We are keeping Mister Lee in a coma because of his injuries and to protect him a bit psychologically. We probably will wake him up tomorrow if he stays stable during the night.'

'Thank you, nurse.' Heechul bowed.

 

 Hyuk slowly woke up. His body felt so relaxed, a cloud still remaining in his head.

'Hey Eunhyuk, how are you feeling?'

Hyuk turned his head and he saw Mister Kim. He frowned.

'Where am I?'

'The hospital.' Heechul said softly.

The memories came back. His body tensed as his mind couldn't follow the mental pictures that were flashing through his mind.

'Haeeee' He whispered.

'As soon as you are calm enough, I'll take you to him.' Heechul promised.

 

Kyu had fallen asleep alongside his brother. Hyuk and Heechul carefully walked in. Hyuk's hand was gripping Heechul's biceps for support.

Donghae was still sleeping peacefully. Heechul could feel Hyuk trembling.

'Tell me how he is.'

Heechul listed the injuries and their severity.

'I shouldn't have left him alone.' Hyuk whispered.

The door opened and a police officer entered.

'I'm sorry to intrude but I need to take your statement.' He said to Eunhyuk. The latter nodded and followed the cop.

 

'So this is probably the work of his stepdad?' The cop concluded.

'I only know that person did this kind of thing in the past. When I arrived no one was there but Mister Lee was still holding onto his check book.' Hyuk said softly.

'And Mister Lee is taking care of his stepbrother?'

'Yes, they live together.'

'How old is the stepbrother?'

'He skipped some grades, I think he's 16'

'Definitely a minor. I see.' the cop sighed.

'What's wrong?'

'The nurse told me that this definitely wasn't the first time this happened to Mister Lee. The x-rays also show broken and healed bones all through his body, some definitely when he was just a child. I read in his file that he has gone to the cops only once in all those years. But now I understand. You see, his stepbrother is still a minor. And Mister Lee is not married and is too young to get the custody of him. This is tragic.'

'W-will you guys take Kyu away from him?' Hyuk stuttered.

'By law we must.'