Charming and Stitch

J and the Ogre Princess

That night, Chae Rin wasn’t the only one who couldn’t sleep a wink. Staying up all night and turning on their beds, the two both hugged their pillows in frustration. One from fear of his father being right, while the other in hopes that her heart could finally be right for once.

 

Could she be? Did God finally grand her a wish that wasn’t just in her dreams? Hearing rustling from outside her door, she immediately covered her face in her sheets, not wanting her parents to figure out how she couldn’t sleep, how, like many other nights, she spent a sleepless one thinking about him and the possibility of them. Only this time? The possibility wasn’t merely her dreaming.

 

After a few minutes, she slowly got out of bed and headed down, her mom already busy cooking while her dad sleepily washed the dishes from last night. It wasn’t until she cleared that the two took notice of her.

 

“Eomma, Appa, I’m going to go to the park, okay?”

 

“What? It’s so early in the morning.. Is Seungie coming with you?”

 

“No.”

 

“You’re going alone?”

 

“Yeah. It’s like 5 minutes away, I’ll be fine.” She mumbled before stretching. Man, did she need to sleep but she couldn’t shut off her brain, the stupid thing constantly reminding her that whatever she wa shoping or was impossible. That she was never going to be beautiful enough to warrant being wanted by someone else.  

 

“Just make sure you’ll be back by breakfast, okay?” Her mom called her while she stirred  the dwinjang jjiggae.

 

“Neh, omma.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A sleepy Jaebeom walked towards the park, rubbing his eyes as he looked for her. It was too early, and hasn’t even hit 8 in the morning. Why in the world was he up? Simple, because she called him and hearing her voice first thing was something he never knew he wanted until today.

 

“Hey,” Her voice greeted him, making him look up at her. Immediately smiling, he walked towards her with a bounce, almost running but was too sleepy to.

 

“Hey there, missy.” He greeted her and sat beside her on the swing, yawning again.

 

“Sorry for calling you this early,”

 

“It’s alright,” he mumbled and yawned again. Ah, damn it. It seemed as if he couldn’t stop. Usually, he wouldn’t even be up until almost at noon when Bom would wake him up loudly from her wailing or squealing from her dramas. She was like a chicken, crowing with the schedule of her shows. “So what’s up?”

 

Chae Rin looked to the floor, fingers fiddling together, a dozen ways she wanted to say the words in her heart, but all seemed so wrong and harsh. She knew that if she’d hear them herself, it would hurt her badly. So how could she do this to him who ahd showed her nothing but kindness the past few months?

 

“Spit it out,” Jay said, pursing his lips as he began to swing. His relaxed heart now beating surreptitiously nervous.

 

“You know... who I like, yes?”

 

“Of course. Who doesn’t? He gulped, his  fingers gripping tightly on the cold metal of the swing.

 

“Well.. I just.. don’t think I can stop.”

 

“I know.”

 

“You do?”

 

“Of couse.” He said, looking at her.

 

“Doesn’t that bother you?” She wondered out loud, her eyes searching his own.

 

“Not really. Well, I guess it does. But... it’s not like I could change it, you know? Doesn’t mean I haven’t tried, but..” Jay said, chuckling nervously while he bit on his lips. It was too early for his head to function,even less his heart.

 

“You should stop.”

 

“Liking you? Nah, no thank you.” He said, flashing her a smile and surprising the girl.

 

“B-but why?! I’m not even remotely-“

 

“You don’t have to continue that sentence. Believe me, I know. Why? Because it’s not like I can control this, you know? Same with the way you can’t control yours. So, to me, just let it be. Maybe it’ll fade eventually, maybe it won’t.”

 

 “I see...  Jae, mianhae. I’m such an idiot..” He looked at her mumble, her head tilted downwards, eyes staring at the sand.

 

“You really are an idiot. You see a beautiful prince before you and you still choose a skinny looking ogre? Honestly!” He half joked, trying to fish for a smile.

 

“O-ogre...?”

 

“Ah,” He laughed and shook his head. “Mianhae. Shrek was playing yesterday and I guess the comparison just made sense. I don’t understand why a beautiful princess would choose an ogre over a prince.”

 

“So you really think of yourself as Charming?”

 

“Why not? He’s the best looking character in the whole thing!”

 

Chae Rin couldn’t help but laugh. How could everything fit like that? Their lives and little chaarcters inside a fairytale? But could she, a real ogre princess, actually find happiness?

 

“You’re an idiot.”

 

“Why thank you, dear princess~” he said, doing a little curtsey while he sat. “Now if you’re done telling me to get over you, can you give me some breakfast? I’m starving.”

 

“Fine,” she said before frowning once she remembered his words. “Also, oppa is not an ogre. He’s much too good-looking for that.”

 

“Honestly, Chae, I’m pretty sure you’re the only one who thinks he’s good—looking.” He sighed, the kid fanning himself. “Compared to me. Look at this skin! Flawless~”

 

“Shut up! Oh my god,” she laughed and shook her head. “Fine. He’s Shrek. And I’m totally Fiona. And me and him are both ogres.”

 

“Urgh! Can’t you just be like.. Sleeping beauty or something?”

 

“Nah. That means Ri is out of the picture, and he’s really quite perfect as Donkey.”

 

“... You know what? You right. He fits the character.” Jaebeom laughed and shook his head.

 

“But Jay, I’m serious. Get over me. If you can,” She whispered, her mind replaying the way Jiyong hugged her last night. She couldn’t do it to Jay, give him false hopes or lead him on.She had to make it clear that she knew who she wanted. “I’m dangerous.” She half-warned him, but her warning only resulted in laughter.

 

“You’re as fluffy as Stitch.”

 

“Please, Stitch was a inter-galactic criminal – totally dangerous.”

 

“Oh hush, princess and give me food, please.”

 

“Fine. But I’m not sharing my bacon with you.”

 

“So long as you don’t just share it wit him, I’m good.”

 

“Eh.....”

 

“Yah!” 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's notes:Probably won't update for a while. Having a bit of a writer's block