Thinking the Impossible

J and the Ogre Princess

Yep, that was the ridiculous start of the story of how the Corn Goddess met the Corn Man, though Jay really doubted that he was a corn-loving man. The guy was probably just a weirdo who was obsessed with food. But thanks to him, his first every date with Chae Rin happened. Hysterical, his noona had told them the second part of the story in which she conned him into telling her his other part-time jobs, at a cake shop, incidentally, and had arranged for them to talk over some furniture.

 

"Help me! I don't know anything about furniture!" He remembered her taking his hand and begging, actually begging.

 

"Well, a chair, has.. four legs.. and something to put your in. I mean.... you can start with that?"

 

"Oh! Like what if a chair only has three! That is golden, Jaebeom. GOLDEN!"

 

Who cares about chairs? But if that meant that he and Chae Rin were getting dragged along with this impromptu "date", then he was all for it.

 

"You didn't actually jump him, right unnie?" He pictured the next few scenes once more, Chae Rin's voice squeaking.

 

"I did. Literally."

 

Chae Rin blushed, Jaebeom sputtered. Gah! Am I standing in some place where unspeakable things happened??

 

"I jumped on him and hugged him. And then he freaked out and ran around. He threatened to call security, and also called me deathly monkey grip. But that was nothing. I calmed him down with some mint ice cream. Then we ate the gamjatang together, he took back the dishes and left."

 

"Totally romantic," Chae Rin whispered and nodded. Did she actually thought it was romantic? Man, she sounded so sincere.

 

"Anyway, you guys, you HAVE to come with me, okay? Okay!"

 

And that was it, they had no say in the matter. A week later, he and Chae Rin walked in tow behind his noona - an unrecognizable woman in his eyes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jaebeom couldn't help but wonder how proper she looked and acted, where the heck was this lady when he was a kid? Shaking his head, he slid his hands in his pockets and sighed.

 

"What's wrong, Jaebeom-ah?" Chae Rin whispered. She was dressed in a simple baggy shirt,  tights underneath, and a honking bizarre-looking sunglasses covering her eyes. Oddly enough, all of it suited her.

 

"Nothing. I guess, I just can't believe that we were dragged onto this. I mean, I get me, but why are you here?"

 

"Sisterly support."

 

"To noona?"

 

"Dangyeonhajyo! Of course" she nodded, carefully peeking out of her sunglasses and looking around as they entered the cafe. It wasn't until his princess breathed out a "wow" that Jaebeom looked around too.

 

Behind the counter stood a giant of a man, with sleek black hair pushed to the side. On his high cheekbones rested a dash, of what Jay assumed, was powdered sugar. This man was the kind of man Jaebeom would like to grow up as. From his sharp features and appearance, he could tell that he was a kingka, someone who ruled wherever he went, and yet, when his noona gave the man a wave, he immediately doubted his first impression. It couldn't be, right? This man was downright beautiful, even he was pained to agree.. But how could someone who looked so cool be... the bingu?

 

Chae Rin stared at the man, amazed by his looks, which made the boy beside her grumpy. Cool, his . Anyone who Chae Rin turned her eye to was not cool. Except for him, when she finally sees him as a guy, then he'd reach peek cool. If such a thing ever existed, that was.

 

"He is beautiful¸unnie," Chae Rin breathed before whispering a good luck to the older lady. The younger couple then slinked away, shooed¸ was more the word and so they sat down at a table near one of the windows, looking out at the bright blue sky.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chae Rin looked around awkwardly, a hint of pink in her cheeks. As comfortable as she was being with Jay, she had never really been alone with him, meaning without Bom. Though he wasn't bad, his constant staring at her face made her anxious. Who wouldn't be, in her situation? He stared at her unnaturally long while he took sips on his milkshake. She was sure it meant nothing, since his expression was blank, and yet, it was still perplexing. Was there something on his face? Was she looking sickly? Urgh!   What if he was staring at her double chin?!

 

"Yah, Park Jaebeom, would you please stop staring?" She whispered, her tone begging as she looked away and patted her cheeks.

 

"W-what?! I wasn't staring." He defended, immediately looking away. He was so surprised that he started choking on his milkshake.

 

"You could have just said yes. Admit it, I'm gorgeous," she joked before fluttering her eyes, making his heart go rampant.

 

"YOU ARE. I ADMIT IT. URGH," the young man groaned and hid his face in his arms- his outburst surprising her and the others around them.

 

"Y-yah.. Jaebeom, you didn't have to shout..." she said, her cheeks now flushed pink. Hiding her face from the stares, Chae Rin copied his actions and whispered. "I was just kidding, you know?"

 

"Well.. I wasn't."

 

"GOAUGBIRBGDKJGNKDLFADKG SPSH."

 

"W-what?" The young boy looked up at her and frowned.

 

"OJGBAIUBG;KEGN AOJWPRGNA "

 

"Okay....." He said, taking back what he said. "Never mind! You're not! You're not. Stop making those weird noise."

 

"What? But But.... I was just..... I don't know. I do this when I get stressed, okay?"

 

"And why would you be stressed?"

 

"You gave me a compliment. I don't know what to do with myself when I get those."

 

"Why?"

 

"No one's ever said those, you know? Outside of my parents."

 

"But you are, Chae. You really are." he said, the sincerity in his voice making her look up.

 

Who was this boy and what was he doing with her? Her heart ached when she thought of him, those innocent eyes that looked at her with wonder, as if she held all the grace in the world.

 

She never knew it, that look, that expression that touched her heart. And she loved it, the way he was making her feel at that moment.

 

"Thank you," she mumbled and turned her eyes on the table, her half eaten ice cream slowly melting away. "Do you, uh, want some?" Chae Rin asked in a small voice, almost afraid of the answer.

 

"Yeah, of course! Oh, here, let me go get another spoon," Jaebeom felt his heart beat rapidly, the small exchange driving all other thoughts away from his head - he had made her blush. Him. And man, that blush looked breathtaking upon her cheeks.

 

"I-it's okay." She mumbled, making both their hearts stop completely.

 

Did she - d-did she really mean...?

 

Jaebeom held his breathing, his expression that of utmost fear, fear that he was all imagining this.

 

"I m-mean, i-it's not a-as if I'm venomous, and you're not poisonous and and..." She said, her hand trembling as she took the spoon, dipped it into the ice cream and held it in front of his lips.

 

AND...

 

AND....

 

He  never knew his heart could beat so fast, just as fast as when it had at that moment. He remember hearing it thunder, almost as if it was trying to break free from the cage that held it.  And that was it - the first perfect day in his life. He had lightened that moment by clumsily missing the spoon, making it hit his nose instead. She laughed. He laughed because he was happy to make her laugh.

 

They acted silly, and it was brilliant  - and no one cared about what the two aliens talked about.

 

By the end of it, he had taken enough courage to try to do the impossible - to hold her hand.

 

"Thank you, for today," he said, his hands all clammy as he held onto hers. Without skipping a beat, she flashed her a shy smile and shrugged.

 

"Ani, I should be the one thanking you. For.. thinking the impossible, you know?"

 

"What impossible thing?"

 

"That I'm beautiful."