Goddesses

J and the Ogre Princess

This is officially the weirdest day of my life, Jaebeom thought as he saw sincerity in his nemesis' eyes. This was for real, right? For real, for real?

 

"Jaebom-ah?"  There it was again, her melodious voice. Sighing, though he hated to agreed, he nodded.

 

Anything, my princess.

 

Jaebeom thought and bit his lips for he almost said it out loud. He's had enough embarrassment for the day and didn't need to add anymore. His cool persona had officially been lost and he hasn't even talked to her for more than ten minutes. Absurd!



"Be nice. Or at least, try to get along, alright? Bicker but keep it to a minimum. I know it's impossible for you two to shut up completely. Particularly you, kid!" She pointed to The Annoying One.


"Shut up! You're only older than me by a few months."

 

"Don't tell her to shut up, you imbecile!" How dare he?

 

"Me? What do you call yourself then, oggling all the time?"

 

"Jaebeom~ah," her voice warned him before poking her bestfriend on his side. "SeungRi, hajimarago. Stop it, didn't I just said it? You. Do it for unnie." she scolded Seungri, making Jaebeom beam in victory.

 

"And you... do it for me, please?"

 

"Wait, did you just call yourself my unnie?"

 

"No, you idiot. I meant Bom unnie."

 

"Ahh.. Makes sense, makes sense."

 

 

 

When the day ended, Jaebeom got on the usual car that his parents had provided and rode in silence the whole way home. He hadn't just imagined all that happening, right? After years, he was now officially friends with the woman of his dreams! He felt elated, though oddly anxious. What if he messed up this chance? It was such a precious one.

 

And of course there was the problem of his archenemy. Scratch that, enemies. Of course the two people who proved to be the biggest hindrance in his life were brothers. He was sure her so called prince was a nice guy. Maybe. But wasn't he more princely than that skinny older teen? He had high cheekbones and a fair complexion. He was infinitely better looking, at least in the opinion of the girls around him.

 

But why and how does she adore him that much?

 

"Ah, you're finally home," His noona said once he stepped inside the house. "Can you tell your parents that we're out of popcorn? Also, smeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell~" she said as she sprayed her new facial toner on his face.

 

"Bloody hell, woman!" he jumped back and instinctively closed his eyes. From one crazy to the other, that seemed to have been the story of his life.

 

"Doesn't it remind you of spring? It smells of spring! How lovely and fitting for me," she said before spraying her own face and grinning to herself.

 

She is one crazy old lady, Jaebeom thought before plopping himself at the couch.

 

"So how was your day?"  Bom asked before sitting on the chair besides Jaebeom and turning on her precious drama.

 

"It was soooooooooooooo weird!"

 

"Why?" The Corn Goddess asked nonchalantly. It's not that she didn't care, it was more because her focus was on the screen. Oh, how wonderful. Unbeknownst to the main girl, the man she found bloodied on the side of the road was actually a chaebol. And what was better? He was handsome to boot!

 

"We were actually... cordial."

 

"We as in who?"

 

"Princess, me and that annoying kid."

 

"Huh, that is weird. Wait, wait wait!!" She said before jumping out of her seat and extending both of her hands forward , as if shielding herself from an incoming crowd. "IT WORKED, DIDN'T IT?"

 

"What worked?" Why must she continuously scream? I just want peace. PEACE.

 

"My method! THE CORN METHOD. Well, wait. The Corn Goddess Method~" she gave her an overly dramatic wink before pretending to shoot the air with her fingers.

 

Come to think of it... he thought before grinning and giving her an excited nod. That was it! It had to be! That would explain the whole weirdness. Corn really does-

 

"IT BRINGS THE WORLD TOGETHER! Oh, you lovely super food. Jaebeom-ah! We need more! We need more! Come with me, let us buy some at the market," she said before excitedly dragging his from the couch and out into the world.

 

He wondered, really, in this relationship, who raised who exactly?

 

 

 

Park Bom hummed happily as she skipped her way down the street, her dongsaeng trailing behind her. Besides the bags of snacks she got, she was mighty glad to find a deal on several things. Good thing too because her bosses were coming home over the weekend. Eyeing a convenience store across the street, she almost half-motioned to Jaebeom to go by except that she caught sight of someone familiar. Wait, wasn't that her dongsaeng's One True Prince? What was he doing with...

 

Bom's eyes grew wide when she saw a beautiful girl. Though she looked young, she exuded maturity beyond her years. The two seemed to be enjoying a talk as the woman seemed like she couldn't stop smiling, while the boy - the boy couldn't help but stare at her.

 

It pained Bom's heart when she thought of her new friend. And though she knew this meant that her dear dongsaeng was granted a chance, she wished no heartbreak on anyone. Going back, she took Jaebeom's hands and dragged him quickly home, for fear that he would see Jiyong.

 

If he finds out, I'm sure he'll say something. But it's none of our business. Aigoooo. My poor Chae Rin.

 

 

It really was by pure chance when Jiyong saw her as he walked home. With his hands in his pocket, the coldness of the winter breeze made him crave something cold. He could feel the heat starting to seep into his surroundings, but he wasn't quite yet ready to let go of his favourite season. He adored it, the snow, especially when it was falling. What he adored even more was the way it draped over dead trees, the outlines of white turning something ugly into a breathtaking view.

 

his lips, he went inside the convenience store near his neighbourhood and headed for the frozen section. He was about to go out after he paid when he happened to glance at a familiar outline of a girl. And based on the steam rising out in front of her, he guessed she was eating some instant noodles.

 

Nervously, he walked over, his heart beating rapidly with every step. Even from behind, she looked beautiful. Simply with the way her soft hair fell over her shoulders, or when she took lose locks and trapped it behind her ear so that she could eat properly. There was no other words to describe what he was feeling except for the word... "winded".

 

"H-hi," he mumbled, silently cursing himself from the stammer.

 

The girl in front of him jumped up, her large brown eyes widening in surprise as she slurped her noodles. "Omo, omo-! Ggamjjaggiya! You surprised me!" She exclaimed before quickly taking a napkin and wiping . "You're one of the students from before, right?"

 

"Yeh. Kwon Jiyong immida. Eerr... Am I supposed to call you seonsaengnim now?"

 

She laughed and shook her head. "Ani, ani. I'm technically not your TA until this spring. But even so, I'm not really a teacher to begin with. I'm a student as well.." She mused before rubbing her chin, a quirky expression upon her face. "Though sunbaenim wouldn't be the right title either, because we never went to the same highschool and are in different institution levels. Aiguuuuu."

 

A soft chuckle escaped Jiyong's lips as he looked at her. She was cute, besides being breathtakingly beautiful. And the more he looked at her, the more entranced he felt. Was this what they meant by love at first sight? Aniya. It couldn't be. He never believed in such things. He knew from experience that beauty never meant anything based on the past false loves he had met. Nothing ever lasted. The attraction would stay, weeks, maybe months, but the more he got to know them, the more uninteresting they became.

 

Beauty caught his attention. But substance held him, and there had been no one as of yet who was able to do such a thing.

 

But still, this creature in front of him felt promising. "May I sit down?"

 

"Of course, of course. Oh! And you can call me noona, It seems the most accurate since I'm older than everyone." she let out a soft giggle before happily going back to her food. Her focus on eating made him feel endeared to her. And there they were, sitting in silence and collectively eating their own snacks until finally , she turned towards him and frowned. "You better not have been talking about me that way before too, you know?"

 

"Like what?"

 

"You know!" she blushed, before looking away and hiding her face. "Like that hyperactive kid who confessed his love for me all over the halls."

 

"Ah, Junsu," he said, chuckling. "He's a dunderhead. I don't even remember how we became friends. And why. Honestly, I don't even want to know."

 

"Is that so?" She smiled along and nodded. "I have friends like that too. Boy-crazy ones.. Particularly idol-crazy ones." she nodded and laughed. "But as for me, I'm only crazy for one guy - uri Wonbin~"

 

"Who's that?"

 

"WHAT?!!" Jiyong watched her in shock when she almost half-screamed, earning the glances of the other customers around them.

 

"You don't know Wonbin? He's only like the greatest actor out there. And his dramas? Tear jerker!"

 

Now who does she remind me of... he wondered before he blinked in surprise when she grabbed his arms. "He is my ideal type! You have to watch his stuff!" she nodded, her eyes b with excitement.

 

 

 

Jiyong came home, a sheepish grin on his face. He wasn't expecting anything to happen between them but never had he felt that type of familiarity with anyone. She was so... natural. Not airy or fake and he adored that fact. He couldn't even believe his luck when she offered to exchange phone numbers.

 

She said to text her if he needed any help with languages. For that was what she was trying to be an expert at. Truthfully, he had no interest in the subject, but if he could use it as an excuse...

 

"Just not math.  It hurts my brain! Or history,"  she said while her face scrunched up in disgust, her whole body shivering, as if to dismiss the very idea.

"Alright," he smiled and nodded.

"Ooh, and ask your friends too! If they need any help over the summer. I'm going to be needing as much practice as I could, becoming comfortable speaking and teaching in front of people before spring."

 

"Well, don't you look happy, hyung," his younger brother mused when Jiyong came through the house doors. "Something good happened?"

 

"Yeah! Very."

 

"Oooh, this is saucy. Whatcha got?" Little Seunghyun said as he used Jiyong's story as an excuse to push away the book in front of him.

 

"I met a girl. Well, a noona."

 

"She's older?!! Is she pretty? But no one is prettier than Bom noona~"

 

"Probably even more so..."

 

"Jinjja?!!"