Almost

J and the Ogre Princess

"Why would I be like everyone else?"
"You're not. That's the point."

 

"I don't follow.."

 

"Yes, you do." Yeah, I do. The boy and girl sat in silence, the creaking of the chains and the howling of the wind were the only sounds that passed in between them.

 

"You'll get over me, you know," he mumbled, almost afraid to look at her.

 

"Why does everyone keep saying that? It's not like I chose to be like this. I really, honestly never wanted to."

 

He looked at her in silence as she leaned back, her eyes squinting at the skies above. This was the first time they had actually talked, really talked. She continued, "Why anyone would want what I feel about you makes no sense to me at all."

 

What did she mean?

 

"I dont exactly enjoy stammering in front of you, or blushing or constantly being torn between running away and staying. Eomma says its normal. To feel this way. You know, since I'm still a kid. Have you ever felt it?" She looked at him straight in the eyes, those soft brown ones he had grown up looking at.

 

Was it normal? He wondered. He had been in love, but her words... and then he remembered his noona, and maybe, they made just a little bit more sense. "Yeah, I think so. And no, I haven't. Not really.. Okay, maybe."

 

"With that girl, right?"

 

There was a hint of sadness in her voice.

 

"Yeah."

 

"That's good."

 

"I guess."

 

Silence laid heavily in between - yet it was the type of silence he knew he couldn't run away from, the type of silence that had to be broken just right or else it would leave wounds.

 

"Really, it''s good. You know.. talking with you had terrified me for years. At least, ever since I realized I had a crush on you."

 

He glanced at her, their expression mirroring each other's. It was as if both couldn't believe she had actually said them out loud. "Wa- wai- wait! Are you always like this?" He wondered out loud. So brutally honest.

 

"Yes," she smiled, chuckling a little. "The cute, shy Chae Rin only shows itself in front of you. It's really weird. Sometimes, I feel like I'm cursed," she laughed. "Like you're the Moon to my Fiona. I turn into this weird ogre when you're around."

 

He joined in her laughter, his heart somehow felt like it was being lifted. So this was her? "Somehow, that didn't feel like it was a compliment."

 

"Well, it wasn't. Not really."

 

"I know," he mused. "You know, this feels weird. I feel like I'm talking to a grown up."

 

 

 

 

"Well, I am one. Sort of." She smiled. Because it was true. Maybe she wasn't quite an adult yet but she understood things, albeit to the thoughts of those around her. She was childish, she admits that, particularly when it involved things that affected her deeply. "You are one, too. Kinda."

 

He laughed, and she swore she had never been happier. Maybe she really had matured, just a little bit, when she realized that looking at his face was infinitely better than trying to hide away. It still gave her butterflies, and it still made her really nervous. The feeling of running away was still there, but somehow, looking at him gave her hell and calmed her heart. I could fight it, she thought. I can do this. We can become friends again.

 

"I like that. We're an almost. Almost adults."

 

Yes. Almost, was the word. She nodded and smiled.

 

"See, Hunchae? Oppa's not that scary. Though I promise not to make too much fun out of you. However, I'll still put my chickens on you when it comes to fighting my dongsaeng."

 

"Of course! I'm forever stronger than that kid!" She smiled and curved her arm, attempting to show muscle, making both of them crack up. "Did we just become friends again?" She wondered, a little bit louder than what she had intended.

 

"We always have been. We sorta just... got lost along the way."

 

 

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTES

You guys may not, but I honestly love the last two chapters